Long Term Storage

st11x

G'day,

Would you consider buying a small property like a town house just for long term storage?

We have quite some personal items and have also bought a few quality furniture and white goods. Owing to the lack of work, we have to leave LOS maybe for a couple of years. The value of the white goods will depreciate, but then, selling them used in this country probably wouldn't fetch you much anyway.

I can't really say I liked it here very much, but it would be nice to have a place to go to when we come back, even for a visit. The property we will update so that it will be comfortable and pleasing for us, and we are probably not going to rent it out.

The thought getting more bang for the buck (if I kept the money in an overseas bank) instead of it being sunk in the unpredictable property market crosses my mind too.

Matt

G'day,

Would you consider buying a small property like a town house just for long term storage?

We have quite some personal items and have also bought a few quality furniture and white goods. Owing to the lack of work, we have to leave LOS maybe for a couple of years. The value of the white goods will depreciate, but then, selling them used in this country probably wouldn't fetch you much anyway.

I can't really say I liked it here very much, but it would be nice to have a place to go to when we come back, even for a visit. The property we will update so that it will be comfortable and pleasing for us, and we are probably not going to rent it out.

The thought getting more bang for the buck (if I kept the money in an overseas bank) instead of it being sunk in the unpredictable property market crosses my mind too.

Matt

what exactly do you propose? :) more details, pls.

Edited by CHAIYENYEN

what exactly do you propose? :) more details, pls.

Not sure what else to add. The idea is to buy a townhouse for about 2+ MB to keep our belongings (clothes, furniture, white goods, etc) while we live somewhere else not in LOS. Does that sound like a silly thing to do versus selling most things off even at deep discounts, and keep the money that will be used to buy the house in an overseas Internet bank that gives decent interests.

Matt

When I moved to Bangkok, I brought too many belongings, furniture etc. with me and could not fit some of the stuff into my new condo. I explored renting a self storage unit in Rama 4 but it was too expensive at about 8,000 baht per month. My brother in law suggested that I rent a townhouse on the outskirts of Bangkok simply for storage, he reckoned I could rent a simple townhouse for less than 5,000 baht per month. Anyway, I didn't go ahead with and decided to just give some of my stuff away.

So, rather than buy a townhouse in an outlying area you could also consider renting one. As to the hassle of paying monthly rent when you live overseas, I guess you could negotiate with the landlord to pay say 6 monthly in advance.

So, rather than buy a townhouse in an outlying area you could also consider renting one. As to the hassle of paying monthly rent when you live overseas, I guess you could negotiate with the landlord to pay say 6 monthly in advance.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking of continuing to rent our current place, but with rentals, it is unpredictable. The lease may expire before you can come back, or the landlord needs the place back urgently at the most inconvenient of times etc, then it will be a hassle to take time off to fly back here and sort things out.

G'day,

Matt

Rent a house with a covered driveway. Was shocked to find out that cost of storing furniture etc. plus one or two vehicles in a prof. storage place was greater than the rent for the furnished 3-bd house I rented - decent enough area too with security guards. I prefer watchng TV in this house than at the storage facility. :)

Hello, it is good to buy a property if you can spare the money. Renting would throw your money away as you can buy new things if you choose to live in Thailand again, and the new things would be up to date. There is too much risk in renting a long way from home, and you can pay someone to look after a property so you will have some peace of mind. Good luck with your decision, and maybe you will have a better attitude about Thailand after being away. Cheers.

its not just the buying of a townhouse,

you need s.o. to take care, and keep the place clean from animals.

The place needs air circulation, if not, things will get damaged.

totally tukthong!

Without proper ventilation and constant cleaning it will be a mold/ant/mice/etc/etc fiasco in the hot and humid microcosms of that townhouse.