Ec Postpones Ruling On 44 Mps' Shares

pagallim

From Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1520...4-mps-postponed

The Election Commission (EC) has deferred its ruling on the controversial shareholdings of 44 MPs to next Tuesday after many questions were raised during the meeting.

The constitution prohibits MPs from holding shares in companies with state concessions or media interests.

"The EC has decided to postpone the ruling to next week because the subcommittee responsible for probing the case still has many documents to examine and some issues are still unclear," EC secretary-general Suthipol Taweechaikarn said on Tuesday.

He said the postponement would allow the subcommittee more time to clarify which shares MPs cannot hold under the constitution.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-08-18

It is possible no one in politics in this country is above board but at present it is about the lesser of two evils & the Democrats, certainly Abhisit, fall into the lesser category plus they may provide the best chance to set up a system of cleaner politics in future. Double standards & policy corruption were totally outrageous during the administration of Mr T.

Edited by Valentine

I think using politics and standards in the same sentence is an oxymoron. They pretty much all have double standards. Whichever way the wind is blowing is the direction their headed.

It's actually sad for the entire country that they can't start prosecuting everyone who does wrong instead of letting every wrongdoer go unpunished. Not all punishment has to be severe, but messages need to be sent.

As near as I can tell, humanity has very little morality, but the fear of being caught is an extremely good deterrent for shared social values.

:D I'm amazed this news attracted just 2 comments so far.

Where's the anti-Thaksin brigade ? :)

LaoPo

Because news like this usually make no sense. And lo and behold - this one doesn't either.

The original story was discussed months ago, there's nothing new apart from EC postponing the report.

From Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1520...4-mps-postponed

The Election Commission (EC) has deferred its ruling on the controversial shareholdings of 44 MPs to next Tuesday after many questions were raised during the meeting.

The constitution prohibits MPs from holding shares in companies with state concessions or media interests.

"The EC has decided to postpone the ruling to next week because the subcommittee responsible for probing the case still has many documents to examine and some issues are still unclear," EC secretary-general Suthipol Taweechaikarn said on Tuesday.

He said the postponement would allow the subcommittee more time to clarify which shares MPs cannot hold under the constitution.

The EC earlier disqualified 16 senators and 13 Democrat MPs for holding shares in companies forbidden to elected officials by the constitution.

"The commission is not trying to buy time because if some documents are not clear they could affect the ruling," he said.

He said EC chairman Apichart Sukhagganond should receive the dossier next Tuesday.

The subcommittee had already submitted its report on the controversial 258-million-baht Democrat party donation case to the EC chairman, Mr Suthipol said.

The opposition Puea Thai party accused the Democrat party of illegally receiving the donation from a private company before taking office. The ruling party could be dissolved if found guilty.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-08-18

What irony. :) I'm sure that the PAD leaders responsible for the chaos caused last year will also be heaving a sigh of relief that their (non) prosecution will be equally deferred.

That's probably right "258-million-baht Democrat party donation" but is it the tip of the iceberg? And when I say iceberg I really mean tea money. Cos there ain't no iceberg's in LOS! :D

It's silly to put this under the scope. What's the point of becoming an MP if you can't benefit from concessions? I'm talking about in any country.

:D

Right; Western eyes however (as you know) look entirely different to Asian politics and business-style like receiving commissions or a piece of the cake. In Western eyes many of such things are dirty, whilst Asian people think: :) ..."what's wrong" ?

When I came to HK for the first time I met a fellow countrymen who, at a certain moment, pointed at his Chinese asisstant: "you see that guy" he asked (in his mid-twenties)? He's a multi-multi millionaire....in GBP's !

:D ..."Oh, come on" I said......how can that be ?

Friend: He's taking 1 or 2% from every factory we do business with in Hong Kong and mainland China but he's the best; he's the best in price negotiating, the best in finding the best quality factories...the best deliveries with minimal faults......on time deliveries......overall the best of the best.

He's making so much more money for us so we allow it to happen. If we would hire another guy we would lose more.

It's all in the game but so many westerners in Asia are ALWAYS looking with their western eyes. Westerners will always try to tell Asians how, what and when but they know so much better then us, Farang.

And now, it's the Asian century....better cope with it or....... :D

LaoPo

C'mon, we're all dying for some noise.......

Yawn. And we thought the Dems were so much better than the rest.

:)

I lost the count how many times I have said is not about democracy or politics. Is all about the money and how has the power and /or keep the power. Thaksin side lost :D

That's probably right "258-million-baht Democrat party donation" but is it the tip of the iceberg? And when I say iceberg I really mean tea money. Cos there ain't no iceberg's in LOS! :)

Oh, that.

Means they could find nothing on Democrats since that "happened" five years, or three elections ago and opposition made it a centerpiece of their CURRENT no confidence debate.

Again, it was already discussed, there's nothing new.

Where's the anti-Thaksin brigade ? :)

LaoPo

Cue for the infamous SJ to litter the thread with umpteen photos of various bods - none of which would have any bearing on the topic under discussion! :D

Seriously, though, it is strange how quiet the demophiles become whenever a chink in their squeaky-clean image is exposed.

It seems that their only recourse now is to nit-pick on technicalities in the hope that the thread will be emasculated!

Or rehash events from pre Thaksin administrations and blame Thaksin for those events.

It's silly to put this under the scope. What's the point of becoming an MP if you can't benefit from concessions? I'm talking about in any country.

That's unfair. I think a great many people do go into politics because they genuinely care about the community and want to make a difference. There are plenty of politicians on both sides of the spectrum throughout the world that are trying. Unfortunately, their private lives are poked into, the sexual habits made public, their children pestered and they are continually harassed by crazy people blaming them for things they have no control over. I am no fan of Thai MPs but they really do put up with alot of nonsense. Yes, some are corrupt, but I think there are quite a few that do care and are trying to work within the system to make the country better.

Would you be willing to have all these intrusions into your life and could you function as an MP? It's a lot harder than it looks.

Surely there are some good apples in any bushel. And no doubt many are pressured into 'helping out' their friends, family, and others with a heavy persuasive hand. Not sure if the latter are any better for being easily converted to the dark side than those who were on the dark side to begin with though.

I'd most certainly work for the good of the people as an MP. But I'd also approach it from the point of view that if I am producing a huge budget surplus for the people, more than anyone else in my place, I'm certainly also going to benefit from it as well. A trillion for the people, a billion for me...

Right; Western eyes however (as you know) look entirely different to Asian politics and business-style like receiving commissions or a piece of the cake. In Western eyes many of such things are dirty, whilst Asian people think: :) ..."what's wrong" ?

When I came to HK for the first time I met a fellow countrymen who, at a certain moment, pointed at his Chinese asisstant: "you see that guy" he asked (in his mid-twenties)? He's a multi-multi millionaire....in GBP's !

:D ..."Oh, come on" I said......how can that be ?

Friend: He's taking 1 or 2% from every factory we do business with in Hong Kong and mainland China but he's the best; he's the best in price negotiating, the best in finding the best quality factories...the best deliveries with minimal faults......on time deliveries......overall the best of the best.

He's making so much more money for us so we allow it to happen. If we would hire another guy we would lose more.

It's all in the game but so many westerners in Asia are ALWAYS looking with their western eyes. Westerners will always try to tell Asians how, what and when but they know so much better then us, Farang.

And now, it's the Asian century....better cope with it or....... :D

LaoPo

Most western polticians use their MP status to gain advantage for something or other. Dont make em much different or better than Thai ones. It ius usually better hidden and they usually quickly fall on their swords if outed but.....

Take a look at the current British lot including the porbably next PM... all ripping the expenses off. That is pathetic even by Thai standards.

Berlusconi anyone? He is as dodgy and has changed as many laws for his own benefit as Thaksin. All he needs is a few thousands deaths

It seems the US is obsessed with governors and senators who have mistresses or are found in public toilets doinf what shouldnt be done in them

And that is all without getting into the shadowy influence that corporations and lobbyists have on elected polticians

MOD: Could the thread title be edited to actually reflect the newsposts headline or content? Thank you.
MOD: Could you also remove the editorializing within the opening post as well as shorten the news to the first three sentences.
A public warning, I am not going to edit Bangkok Post articles quoted at length anymore. They will be deleted with no warning and no PM.

To those who are unaware. The Bangkok Post does not allow us to quote the entire article, but rather the first three sentences and a link. Also, if you are going to post a news article please do not editorialize within that post but in a new post so that there is no confusion regarding content. And please do not edit the article in anyway with font changes, either in size or color for emphasis. Instead, quote the relevant bit in the next post and editorialize from there.

Just a reminder, as it's 18 hours later and was hoping for consistency in the news forum. Thanks.

A troll post (“Where's the anti-Thaksin brigade ?”) and the replies to it have been deleted.

Posts asking for rectification of the OP and of the topic title have been deleted after the necessary action was taken.

--

Maestro