Bkk Post Vs The Nation

lukeskywalker

Hello,

I want to subscribe to either The Nation or the BKK Post. I want home delivery. The problem is which one (if cheap enough, maybe both). I don't really care too much about Thai politics so I'm not too worried about the political bias of the paper, what I really want out of the paper are business articles and up-coming even articles.

I'm sure there's a wide range of opinions, but can someone who has had a subscription to either or both please share their experience. Also, is delivery dependable (I live in Chiang Mai)? Also, what is the general costs?

Regards,

Luke

Hello,

I want to subscribe to either The Nation or the BKK Post. I want home delivery. The problem is which one (if cheap enough, maybe both). I don't really care too much about Thai politics so I'm not too worried about the political bias of the paper, what I really want out of the paper are business articles and up-coming even articles.

I'm sure there's a wide range of opinions, but can someone who has had a subscription to either or both please share their experience. Also, is delivery dependable (I live in Chiang Mai)? Also, what is the general costs?

Regards,

Luke

Buy Nation's saturday and BKK Post's monday papers. That's all you need. Biz coverage is good. No need for home delivery, pick them up most supermarkets etc.

No need for home delivery, pick them up most supermarkets etc.

Most supermarkets? Where the heck do YOU live?

The Nation is much less accurate than the Bangkok Post in its reporting. In addition, if the Nation checks its news sources and news accuracy as well as they check their spelling and grammar, God help all its readers.

Both papers have become extremely politically skewed over the last 7 years, but that's not your concern, I understand.

Having read both rags consistently for 7 years, using both in a university journalism class, and having visited several times with both editors and reporters of both publications, I would personally go with the BP for overall reliability.

Hello,

Regards,

Luke

Luke, if you have to ask this question then the nation is for you. :)

Hello,

Regards,

Luke

ROTFL! Not nice. Not nice at all.

Kev

Hello,

Regards,

Luke

Ouch. Mind you it sums it up quite well.

compared to other english-language daily papers in ASEAN, the BKK-Post is top-notch.

though, the Jakarta GLOBE is on its best way to become a serious competitor.

I wished the BKK-Post had a serious competitor here in the Kingdom, but the NATION is just pathetic (at least the printed version - the website is on par with the BKK POST in my humble opinion).

If I buy a NATION, I will have finished reading within 10 minutes,

if I buy the BKK POST, I can easily read 30 minutes and longer.....

I know that doesn't say much about the QUALITY of the reports or reputability, but that's hard to judge for an outsider anyway.

At least the BKK Post has:

- a larger andmore interesting advertisement section

- a much much much better SPORTS section (that one of the Nation is extremely pathetic)

- a better use of English (as far as I am allowed to comment on that as a non-native-speaker :) )

- additional free "gimmicks" such as Friday's GURU magazine

in the end it's up to you and ur common sense to judge the credibility of any press product.

and thanks god there are many sources of information to choose from nowadays.....

compared to other english-language daily papers in ASEAN, the BKK-Post is top-notch.

Are you sure? I still think that Straits Times is a far more superior paper than the BKK Post, and that is in heavily censored Singapore. BKK Post and The Nation are awful, although I'd say the BP shades it as the better. Even The Newpaper in Singapore is better than The Nation. I am avid newspaper reader, but have given up buying the local papers, as they really have very little in them of interest apart from a few bits. Best of just using the net, where you can actually get much better reporting.

I'd subscribe to both, but only Nation is delivered where I live.

Local news are mostly duplicated, but not so with political comments and opinions. Bangkok Post has more syndicated content, Nation has more business pages, with more news and interviews and regular columns, Bangkok Post has better sport coverage, but Nation's on the ball as far as English Football is concerned.

I used to read BP online but after they "upgraded" their website i gave up - it's become impossible to find anything - clicks, clicks, clicks with more and more links offered everywhere, but they never guess what I'm interested in and it's always tucked in some remote corner.

Same for the Nation, it had pioneered this kind of webdesign, and they both got a lot of stuff that doesn't make it to the web version at all.

Hello,

Regards,

Luke

I'd go for Truth Today/ความจริงวันนี้ best thing and cheap price. I know a shop in Chiang Mai as I go there often, I don't think they are red though, if you know Makro, near Carfour in Chiangmai, there's a shop near the main door (FRONT), that shop sells good newspapers like Thai Red News, THAKSIN and all those stuff. I always buy SOCCER there.

• 2 weeks later...

I am I alone in thinking the Bangkok Post website has improved out of sight? I'm far from a fan, but it's become more readable. It doesn't have the latest crime stories, and doesn't have any scoops, but it's informative and newsworthy. And everything in the Post is available, if you can just figure out how to navigate your way through it.

I used to subscibe to the Post for nearly 5 years.

Then I realised I was filling my head with information that I really did not need to know.

I now read books instead, and it's far more rewarding.

I get the news feeds from TV and Baht & Sold.....thats ENOUGH INFORMATION for me :)

Hello,

Regards,

Luke

If you had read either you would change your mind about subscribing. They are both as bad, last resort reading if you come across one lying around for free only. Written by and for an age group of 10 year olds.

A bit like most of my posts. :)

I wished the BKK-Post had a serious competitor here in the Kingdom, but the NATION is just pathetic (at least the printed version - the website is on par with the BKK POST in my humble opinion).

If I buy a NATION, I will have finished reading within 10 minutes,

if I buy the BKK POST, I can easily read 30 minutes and longer.....

I know that doesn't say much about the QUALITY of the reports or reputability, but that's hard to judge for an outsider anyway.

At least the BKK Post has:

- a larger andmore interesting advertisement section

- a much much much better SPORTS section (that one of the Nation is extremely pathetic)

- a better use of English (as far as I am allowed to comment on that as a non-native-speaker :) )

- additional free "gimmicks" such as Friday's GURU magazine

in the end it's up to you and ur common sense to judge the credibility of any press product.

and thanks god there are many sources of information to choose from nowadays.....

I agree. I much prefer the BKk Post. But, I happen to like sports and the BKk Post has a good sports section. I don't LIKE reading the news on a computer. I like a nice morning breakfast and read the newspaper over a meal.

I subscribe to BKK post and enjoy reading it for up to an hour a day. Read mainly the business and sports pages, but skim the other pages too. Prefer it to the Nation. If you subscribe for a year and get it delivered there is a discount. Sue there are better info sources out there on the web etc. But if you like the traditional read a newspaper in the morning/ at lunch BKK Post is best bet for Thailand.