Does Anyone Know What This Is?

billd766

My wife grows orchids and a few other items plus on the land we have pineapples, bananas, jackfruit, pomelos, custard apples red and green, papaya and among some others is this item.

It is about 25 cm in diameter and about 20cm tall and it grows on some sort of vine but my wife cannot remember what it was she planted ages ago and I have no idea.

Can anyone help me on this?

post-5614-1250759766_thumb.jpg

My wife grows orchids and a few other items plus on the land we have pineapples, bananas, jackfruit, pomelos, custard apples red and green, papaya and among some others is this item.

It is about 25 cm in diameter and about 20cm tall and it grows on some sort of vine but my wife cannot remember what it was she planted ages ago and I have no idea.

It's a gourd ! good for soup, curry ETC

Edited by soidog2

My wife called it ' nahm taow' says its from the same family as that other interestingly named vegetable - 'fuk'. We have them growing at present along with many 'fuks'.

I originally thought it was a gourd, but I think its softer than that, and doesn't go hard like gourds do. But not sure ??

I originally thought it was a gourd, but I think its softer than that, and doesn't go hard like gourds do. But not sure ??

It does get hard .

Hi ! Just been told by She who knows all ,its a "Nam DTOW"(????) Hope this helps.!!

Hi ! Just been told by She who knows all ,its a "Nam DTOW"(????) Hope this helps.!!

I have 'same same' and she says 'same same' used in soups and curries.

It is a bottle gourd, same family as the cucumber.

You can see many such images in Google.

When not so old it can be used to make soup as the wax gourd.

In ancient China, and perhaps still being done in the countryside nowadays, the matured gourds were harvested and left to dry, a small part of the top was carefully cut off and the seeds inside removed. Rice wine was kept inside the hardened empty gourd for drinking. The cutoff top was made like a stopper.

Thanks for the iformation guys.

Iwas away yesterday and my wife has been down to a wat in Lop Buri which left my mother-in-law.

A nice old lady (though actually 3 years younger than me) who can't speak a word of English and I suspect my por Thai confuses the hel_l out of her. :):D