Traffic Rules - Written And Unwritten

montri69

This is to look at the Actual Rules while driving in Thailand and what you have encountered, what amazes you, what twists your panties in a knot:

For me there are 3 basic practices and 1 observation:

Practices - 1. The practice of "F*&^KIT, it's ONLY a motorcycle coming".

I ride a 200cc Phantom and it just doesn't weave the debris path on the shoulder at 110kph very well so I drive in my lane. I can't tell you the number of times I've been nearly creamed by car and pick-up drivers (plus a few semi's) who absolutely MUST pass regardless of where they are and/or what they CAN'T see coming (or don't care because they think they're driving an Indy car) and then flash their lights at me like I'm at fault for driving in MY LANE when they wanted to use it. I've pondered carrying a small bag of stones to toss in front of them as they whiz by me nearly grazing my face with their mirror - either that or buy me a paint pellet gun and shoot at them. (I probably won't but it feels better to think about it)

Practices - 2. "Yea, But I Wanna" - This referrers to them doing stupid things because they're "Too Lazy To Wait" (quote from the wife once - "Why'd you do That?? I lazy to waiting")

Going to work just this morning, some lady had waited for a few cars and then just went, trying to make a U-turn on the busiest 2-lane road in the busiest section of the road during the busiest time of the morning. Don't hold your breath, I ll tell you what happened (guess before reading just for fun) NO, she didn't make it in 1 try (do they ever??) NO, the guy in her lane didn't stop for her (probably thinking she could do it) until he was right behind her and discovered there wasn't enough room between her ass and the car parked illegally- go figure, YES, she thought she could (and tried I might add) just back-up without dropping the phone, in a 5-speed. Don't know how long the traffic was fouled-up as I ride a motorcycle and cut through the gap as it opened and closed like the bamboo poles in that Thai dance. It's kind of like living and riding in the Planet of the Apes movie (only this would have to be renamed "The Civilized Simian") where the farang were tolerated, used, hunted and when 1 spoke up it scared them so bad they had to try and kill him. Sort of like being an inter-active observer. Which brings me to the next 1.

Practices - 3. "Grazing" - This referrers to cars and pick-ups waiting until the last possible second and the swerving 1/2 way into the other lane, 'grazing' past you and then whipping it back in front of you - Rain or Shine.

I hate it the most in the rain. I commute 56km 4 days a week by motorcycle. I take all the necessary precautions to stay dry (as possible) and safe. Then, these brain dead drivers of 2 ton death machines come rolling up behind me (I'm doing 80kph and they're doing 120-140kph), graze by me, completely drowning me in water and then swing right back in front of me assuring a lengthy shower to follow. Another notable incident happened very close to home; Was rolling along on the inside lane because my turn was coming up when this as*&^le comes roaring up in a pick-up, swerves into the on-coming traffic lane (the other lane was empty) and tries to pass and cut me off, all of this while the cement median that divides the lanes for the turning lanes was coming at 80-90kph from a few hundred yards. If you calculate that out you should get TOO CLOSE ? seconds to act or die. REALLY wish that guy spoke English as I'm sure my tirade of displeasure with a few explicatives didn't have the full effect. Makes you wonder if there's a 'justifiable homicide' defense law in Thailand.

Ok, now the observation:

Is there something in the genetic make-up of a Thai driver that prevents them from driving in just 1 lane for more than 2-3km? They will inevitably change from a perfectly clear lane to another for no reason. Sometimes they move over to the bad side (heavy truck traffic), bounce along for a minute then change back again. It doesn't stop for however far the trip is for. Had 1 even change into a slower lane with traffic, slow down, then change back and speed up again. (???) I've lived here for 7+yrs and have ample opportunity to be driven around by Thais so I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and could explain it to me.

Before you ask, I live in the country and work in another small town just up the road so NONE of this is 'big city' related.

Your Turn.

Edited by montri69

For the observation part, YES I have seen it, and at lot of it as well.

Our thai friend has a nice home on the countryside, just NorthWest of Bangkok, he drives like that all the time...

I asked him about it, the answer was, the reason for it is that the road is bumpy in the other lane, or just to avoid a puddle of water...

For the same reason, he will also spend most of his time driving slow in the outside lane, he likes it better as its a smoother ride, if anyone needs to pass him they can go in the inside lane...

Always scared when he drives us.

He is good friend, but very Thai.

About the motorscooters in Bangkok.

All of them has a deathwish, or belive that Buddah already knows when they will die, so why worry about something thats out of their control?

They ride a motorcycle and cut through the gap as it opened and closed like the bamboo poles in that Thai dance, some times they dont make it, I have seen my share of mangeled bodies of recently stupid bike riders...

They smash into your rearview mirrors when they pass you, not much to do about that, as I´m probably parked in my lane (driving during rush hour), my only tip is to leave room on 1 side of your car, and no room for passing on the other side or to the car in front of you, to keep the scratches to a minimum.

If you indicate that you are about to change lane, thats a signal for bikes to speed up so they can pass you on the side you are moving to, not to pass you on the other side, or just keep their pace and let you in the lane...

I did actually care the first couple of days driving in Bkk, now I signal and start to shift lanes, if the bikes still try , they have two choices, brake or crash into me.

Told my wife "They are like jung (mosquitos) buzzing all over the place, if they dont care about their lifes, why should I?"

Regards,

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

Soooo many threads here about this. Thai's driving/trying to drive is probably one of the things that bother me the most living here. It is very difficult to tolerate some of the things that go on on the roads here having come from one of the most patrolled/enforced traffic law countries and states in the world. The roads here are, simply put, insanity. I am constantly amazed that I don't see more accidents than I do.

I tend to drive my motorbike in "my own lane" as well, a concept that is foreign to Thai people, (and people from many countries) Many of my fellow farang bike bikers agree speed is your friend on the Thai roads. Better to be passing than to be getting passed, like by the pickup which missed me by mere millimeters yesterday as I waited to turn right across traffic onto my soi. I felt the wind from his mirror on my elbow. One of the most frustrating habits of Thai drivers happened to me today on the way home, like it does nearly everyday: You simply cannot ride next to a car or truck on a bend in the road, as the lanes mean nothing and the cars and trucks will apex the curve and drift slowly into the inside, then outside, lane whether you are there or not.

I few days ago I nearly got run off the road by a dumptruck with no license plate which, because it was empty, could and was driving like a boy racer. I watched this guy for several km's, weaving in and out of traffic, causing oncomming traffic on to the shoulder by unsafe overtaking, etc. It was really over the top even for Thailand. I really thought he was going to kill someone. I thought I had gotten suffeciantly past him when he came roaring up from behind on my right side, and, needing to make a left turn at the quickly approaching intersection, flung himself across my bow nearly forcing me into another motorbike. If my girlfriend wasn't on the back, I was going to follow him and seriously consider some revenge.

We have to remember we are in a developing country. What is sad is they could do so much better if they just tried a tiny bit. But with no education, training, enforcement or legal consequences, what should we expect? Although most crazy shit we see the offender does not recognize as unsafe, it is just how it is. They don't know any better, they are ignorant. There is a different value on life here. I have written about this before, but speaking to many Thai people I have learned there is the belief that if something bad happens to them, it is because they deserved it from acts they committed in the past, even in a past life. Karma. Personal safety is depended more upon other, seemingly unrelated factors such as whether they have "jai dee" good heart towards others. It also matters more to have the lucky symbols stick to the ceiling or dash of the car or hanging from the rear view mirror than to drive safely, or wear a seat belt.

My wife is just back from and unexpected trip to Loei where her sister in law had been killed by an idiot driver who cut in front of them forcing them to skid out of control, they then hit another car, rolled the car over and hit a tree. The driver who was behind and couldnt wait to pass them went merrily on his way.

Be warned they are selfish idiots with no regard for your life.

Thinks its a made up story heres the family.

post-66436-1250798873_thumb.jpg

Soooo many threads here about this. Thai's driving/trying to drive is probably one of the things that bother me the most living here. It is very difficult to tolerate some of the things that go on on the roads here having come from one of the most patrolled/enforced traffic law countries and states in the world. The roads here are, simply put, insanity. I am constantly amazed that I don't see more accidents than I do.

I tend to drive my motorbike in "my own lane" as well, a concept that is foreign to Thai people, (and people from many countries) Many of my fellow farang bike bikers agree speed is your friend on the Thai roads. Better to be passing than to be getting passed, like by the pickup which missed me by mere millimeters yesterday as I waited to turn right across traffic onto my soi. I felt the wind from his mirror on my elbow. One of the most frustrating habits of Thai drivers happened to me today on the way home, like it does nearly everyday: You simply cannot ride next to a car or truck on a bend in the road, as the lanes mean nothing and the cars and trucks will apex the curve and drift slowly into the inside, then outside, lane whether you are there or not.

I few days ago I nearly got run off the road by a dumptruck with no license plate which, because it was empty, could and was driving like a boy racer. I watched this guy for several km's, weaving in and out of traffic, causing oncomming traffic on to the shoulder by unsafe overtaking, etc. It was really over the top even for Thailand. I really thought he was going to kill someone. I thought I had gotten suffeciantly past him when he came roaring up from behind on my right side, and, needing to make a left turn at the quickly approaching intersection, flung himself across my bow nearly forcing me into another motorbike. If my girlfriend wasn't on the back, I was going to follow him and seriously consider some revenge.

We have to remember we are in a developing country. What is sad is they could do so much better if they just tried a tiny bit. But with no education, training, enforcement or legal consequences, what should we expect? Although most crazy shit we see the offender does not recognize as unsafe, it is just how it is. They don't know any better, they are ignorant. There is a different value on life here. I have written about this before, but speaking to many Thai people I have learned there is the belief that if something bad happens to them, it is because they deserved it from acts they committed in the past, even in a past life. Karma. Personal safety is depended more upon other, seemingly unrelated factors such as whether they have "jai dee" good heart towards others. It also matters more to have the lucky symbols stick to the ceiling or dash of the car or hanging from the rear view mirror than to drive safely, or wear a seat belt.

Considering revenge whilst driving and you will end up dead........ they really DONT care

THis topic is really a non-starter.

if you are a competent driver you will note the driving conditions around you and drive accordingly. ....and thats just about all there is to it

Being a competent driver has nothing to do with it :) I've been driving for 40 years without EVER causing an accident but I have BEEN in a few. Sometimes you just can't control the circumstances around you.

I was driving merrily along the other day and came upon the same curve in the road that is on my route to work when this idiot came flying around the same curve behind me, nearly losing control and drifted clear into the shoulder forcing me to make the choice between being run over, ramming into the guardrail and pole or riding my street bike like a motocross bike. I choose the latter and went sailing down into the drainage ditch, bouncing along the bottom of the ditch until I had slowed sufficiently to make my way back up onto the road. Thought time = split second. Margin for error = 1/2 meter between guardrail, culvert opening and slope into the ditch. The curve is a 90 degree built on the main thoroughfare which is something Thais love to do for some silly-assed reason.

if you are a competent driver you will note the driving conditions around you and drive accordingly. ....and thats just about all there is to it

Being a competent driver has nothing to do with it :) I've been driving for 40 years without EVER causing an accident but I have BEEN in a few. Sometimes you just can't control the circumstances around you.

I was driving merrily along the other day and came upon the same curve in the road that is on my route to work when this idiot came flying around the same curve behind me, nearly losing control and drifted clear into the shoulder forcing me to make the choice between being run over, ramming into the guardrail and pole or riding my street bike like a motocross bike. I choose the latter and went sailing down into the drainage ditch, bouncing along the bottom of the ditch until I had slowed sufficiently to make my way back up onto the road. Thought time = split second. Margin for error = 1/2 meter between guardrail, culvert opening and slope into the ditch. The curve is a 90 degree built on the main thoroughfare which is something Thais love to do for some silly-assed reason.

I would have lost it on that guy. When I say the roads are going to kill me here, I mean because I will go off on someone one day and end up shot, stabbed, or beat down by the numerous Thai men that inevitably appear and join in during any Thai vs. farang fight. They like to kick to the head once your down. Someone recently told me they could get me a gun if I wanted one. Hmm..

Thai Road Rule #1: All lanes are dedicated to vehicles traveling in all directions, unless a larger vehicle is coming towards you, then you should yield to the left, even if you are already in the left lane.

Hey "Sherlocke"- no thats not all there is to it. You're either really naive or don't drive yourself or both. People pull stupid moves driving everywhere. But they do it here more than any other place I've been. A soon as a Thai gets in a car all patience, jai yen, and mai pen rai are gone. And, like Scuba pointed out no education, training, enforcement or legal consequences.

Today I was riding my bike on Rama 9, it's 3 lanes with an exit on the left to get on the tollway. Its light traffic, I'm in the far left lane. A pick up in the far right lane suddenly makes a hard left turn across the 3 lanes to make the tollway exit. No turn signal, no slowing down. I honestly don't know how I missed him, it happened so fast.

The other day getting home- I have to make a right turn into my soi, crossing the oncoming lane. I had my blinker on. Theres no oncoming traffic. I just happened to check my right mirror and sure enough, some asshol_e in a van PASSES me on the right, instead of waiting for me to turn. If I hadn't of checked my mirror I'd have turned right in front of him.

Do they not think that the person they could kill has a family? Been here over 10 years and just don't get it.

Edited by Netfan

I absolutely love driving in Thailand. There are good, fast, wide dual carriageways wherever I go with no posted speed limits, no fixed and mobile speed cameras or police traffic enforcement meaning that you can really enjoy your driving. You can even overtake on the inside and turn left even though the lights are red. Best of all, there are virtually no roundabouts. It is a comparable experience to driving down some of the German Autobahnen before they started to put speed limit signs and speed camerss on them. If you know how to drive and just do like everyone else does, I don't see what the problem is. Maybe the Thais could teach the British Police State how to surface roads properly. Every other European country seems to know that you don't surface roads by just dumping a lorry full of chippings over a road wet with tar.

Edited by eurozhongguo

I absolutely love driving in Thailand. There are good, fast, wide dual carriageways wherever I go with no posted speed limits, no fixed and mobile speed cameras or police traffic enforcement meaning that you can really enjoy your driving. You can even overtake on the inside and turn left even though the lights are red. Best of all, there are virtually no roundabouts. It is a comparable experience to driving down some of the German Autobahnen before they started to put speed limit signs and speed camerss on them. If you know how to drive and just do like everyone else does, I don't see what the problem is. Maybe the Thais could teach the British Police State how to surface roads properly. Every other European country seems to know that you don't surface roads by just dumping a lorry full of chippings over a road wet with tar.

What do you like most? a huge hole that will smash your car to bits maybe kill you........... marked by a twig if you are lucky, or the last minute "this lane is closed signs" that appear where its closed not w ell before or the road goes from perfect to dirt with holes and back in20 metres.................

I know exactly what you mean Netfan. Was driving to RangSit a couple of months ago with my wife and her brother. We were in the inside lane coming up to a U-turn (always spooky) when 1 pick-up flipped a U-turn about 100 meters in front of us, cutting across all 3 lanes of traffic, just as some idiot came flying past us ON THE RIGHT, IN THE TURN LANE, cut back left in front of us and creamed the guy who just made the U-turn. The whole thing was pretty surreal, like we were watching a movie.

Another "Practice" I've seen many times is "Waited Long Enough" rule, where, no matter how much traffic there is, if you've waited a few minutes you just go ahead and go. :) I see that a lot at those highway U-turn areas.

Edited by montri69

You are in a part of Thailand I apparently haven't visited yet. We have roundabouts in Phuket, and what few dual carriage ways we have usually have cars, trucks, buses, speeding reckless airport limousines, tuk tuks, and the extremely hazardous and dreaded motorbike with sidecar tooling along at 1/6th the speed limit taking up the bike lane and half the left lane. (One of them was completely annihilated last week along the airport road, hit by a speeding car)

However, I can see how certain aspects of driving in Thailand can be better than back home, depending where you are in Thailand, and where "back home" is. I have learned from Top Gear about what the state of driving has become in the UK, such as how you described. Sort of the opposite of Thailand in many ways. In the states, at least as of a year ago, speed cameras have not yet been widely implemented, but are becoming more common. You can still almost drive as fast as you want on the vast interstates. In the cities and towns it's a different story, and state to state the situation varies widely.

with no posted speed limits

They must take the signs down just before you arrive and put them up again just after you've passed.

or police traffic enforcement

So those blokes I see around Issan in the burgundy Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys standing at the side of the road waving people down are selling sweet sticky rice in bamboo then. Thanks. Does it taste good? :)

You realy don't get it do you, these guy's will do something totally unpredictable and unforseeable. You'll see this everyday & no matter how competent a driver you are how do you deal with a 10 ton wagon steaming into the back of you wilst stuck in traffic?

You'll see this everyday & no matter how competent a driver you are how do you deal with a 10 ton wagon steaming into the back of you whilst stuck in traffic?

When my folks visited last time I went through a green light changing to red and my mum said "You just went through a red light!"

As I pointed out the vehicle behind me wasn't stopping so it was a case of either go through the red or have whiplashes all round when the guy smashed my car up the rear end.

You'll see this everyday & no matter how competent a driver you are how do you deal with a 10 ton wagon steaming into the back of you whilst stuck in traffic?

When my folks visited last time I went through a green light changing to red and my mum said "You just went through a red light!"

As I pointed out the vehicle behind me wasn't stopping so it was a case of either go through the red or have whiplashes all round when the guy smashed my car up the rear end.

Erm...Isn't there usually a yellow light in between? My Mom always says: "You ran that yellow light" Huh?

Seriously, I find it very odd there are actually some lights here in Thailand without a yellow between the green and red, such as the green right turn arrows added to the signal systems after the original signals were put in. No yellow, no flashing green, the green arrow just disappears with no warning, and if the "straight ahead light" is red the whole time, as it sometimes is, you are required to now obey it once the green arrow disappears, if that makes any sense. I have also seen signals go straight from green to red, skipping the yellow, when they are under the control of a traffic cop. Seems very dangerous to me.

This reminds me of another unwritten rule. "If the car ahead of you goes through, you can go through." I am always amazed how, after I squeak past a changing yellow to red signal, three or four cars behind me will inevitably follow, running the red by several seconds and making all the motorbikes, which of course jumped the light by several seconds, stop in the middle of the intersection to wait.

Erm...Isn't there usually a yellow light in between? My Mom always says: "You ran that yellow light" Huh?

I meant it as the final result would have been a red light. Give me a break! :)

Edited by mca

A FINE EXAMPLE OF HOW NOT to drive in Thailand - of course you can't control your environment - that's the point. a competant driver anticipates and reacts - "driving merrily" is definitely a state of mind to be avoided when driving in Thailand.

PS - I love the way you casually claim never to have "caused" any accidents!

I meant it as the final result would have been a red light. Give me a break! :)

I was actually curious of it might have been on of the green straight to red lights I mentioned above! :D

You realy don't get it do you, these guy's will do something totally unpredictable and unforseeable. You'll see this everyday & no matter how competent a driver you are how do you deal with a 10 ton wagon steaming into the back of you wilst stuck in traffic?

Sorry but you don't get it as don't the others criticizing Sherlockes comment which is I think correct. Sherlocke is referring to defensive driving and if the rest of you practiced it, seemingly not from this threads contents posted so far, the thread would indeed be a non starter.

So you see "a 10 ton wagon steaming into the back of you wilst stuck in traffic" everyday!? Give me a brake! Pun and spelling mistake intended as this thread is dumb!:-)

Edited by Digitalbanana

Sorry but you don't get it as don't the others criticizing Sherlockes comment which is I think correct. Sherlocke is referring to defensive driving and if the rest of you practiced it, seemingly not from this threads contents posted so far, the thread would indeed be a non starter.

So you see "a 10 ton wagon steaming into the back of you wilst stuck in traffic" everyday!? Give me a brake! Pun and spelling mistake intended as this thread is dumb!:-)

If you are a competent driver, drive defensively, are always alert to any of the possible dangers some idiot will always crash into you – its impossible to avoid and it happens here more than at home.

So I disagree with Sherlock, I do get it. I get it very well.

Directly as a result of the way the locals drive here there is a far higher chance of being involved in an accident. I’m sure someone’s response to this will be that we as foreigners have to adapt ourselves to the ‘Thai way of driving’ or ‘think like a Thai driving’… But realistically, Thai’s have a higher chance of being involved in an accident driving in their own country than they would in many of the western countries…

So, we do get it, its more dangerous here because people get inside their cars and flip a switch... It’s the subconscious switch that flicks to “I’m sick of ‘Kreng-jai-ing’ to people” / “I’m sick of being subservient” / “Me First I’m more important than anyone else”… etc etc…

I drive very defensively and I manage to avoid accidents on a daily basis simply by watching out very-very carefully, a favourite being motorbikes frequent attempts to undertake me while I am turning left. I have to move over to the left to block their advances on my inside or actually stop before making the turn to let them past (in this case risking a rear shunt)….

Yet still, idiots continue to attempt to squeeze through the most impossible of gaps just to get that 5m further on by undertaking me.

I’ve seen some of the stupidest idiotic manoeuvres.

Sorry to say this but while I respect many Thai’s I have no choice but to drive as if every other car on the road is a total idiotic, dumb, self centred and selfish moron who is capable to do anything at any time. I guess many Thai’s drive with the same attitude so it’s no surprise to me that no one on the road has any respect for each other.

As a final point – I know many Thai’s. They all know the rules, are polite and most have good manners, so its not ignorance – it’s simply lack of respect for anyone else which may be a result of a deeper underlying issue with society here.

"with no education, training, enforcement or legal consequences,"

"They don't know any better, they are ignorant"

"Personal safety is depended more upon other, seemingly unrelated factors such as whether they have "jai dee" good heart towards others"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Scubabuddha-m70760.html

"it’s simply lack of respect for anyone else which may be a result of a deeper underlying issue with society here."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/richard-smith237-m22569.html

I have seen this craziness now for many years. And it´s not only traffic. They do behave this way in all aspects of live.

My conclusion: If you behave this way, you would be be seen in my world as someone with:

- total lack of education (f.e. basic knowledge of physics)

- total lack of knowledge of principle of cause and effect (see the school-system in Thailand or education in Thailand in general)

- lack of special abilities (there is nearly no place, where a Thai have opportunity to learn these abilities; look at the lack of knowledge of craftsmen, mechanics ...)

- antisocial behaviour (lack of respect for anyone )

(and especially under circumstances like traffic, where stupid <deleted> are not afraid of getting direct social feedback)

As I told my girl many times: 95 % of the Thai people driving a motor vehicle , would never get a licence in my home country or would lose the license with this kind of driving. People driving this way would be seen as criminals or just mentally disturbed. And- I had to add, 99 % of people, driving motor-vehicles in my country do have a license !

I think, it is impossible for her to understand what I am talking about .........

I agree with you: defensive driving + concentration = 6 years with no accidents driving through Phuket town at evening rush hour.

"Brake" :) - good one!

Another Practice - Steering With The Head - I've seen so many motorcycles get creamed because they turn their bike the same direction they turn their head to look for an opening in traffic. Last year I was riding home when I noticed 2 of my female students about 50 meters ahead of me. They were all the way over on the shoulder of the 4 lane when the driver turned her head to look right, the arms followed the head and the 2 of them rolled right out in front of a very fast moving pick-up. The pick-up drug the motorcycle at least 50 meters down the road while the 2 girls went sailing through the air like a couple of crash test dummies. Emergency vehicles showed up, gathered the girls and motorcycles up (no backboards or neck braces or even bandages) tossed them in the back and off they went while 1 policeman talked to all the spectators/witnesses.

Quote Richard S.

" So, we do get it, its more dangerous here because people get inside their cars and flip a switch... It’s the subconscious switch that flicks to “I’m sick of ‘Kreng-jai-ing’ to people” / “I’m sick of being subservient” / “Me First I’m more important than anyone else”… etc etc… "

Exactly what I was thinking driving to the kids school this morning.

A car is a great thing, it gives you freedom, and puts everyone under the same set of rules (well almost), a guy in a scruffy Toyota Soluna, has the right of way over another guy in a Benz, and he knows it!

Of course this will mess up the inofficial rules somewhat...

My wife told me that its better to chrash with the new Benz than the old Toyota, cuz the Benz is more likely to have a good insurance...

The cars you REALLY want to avoid is the battered up company pickups, they dont care at all, if they bump into you they are insured, and wont even have to pay for themselfs.

There are so many things I dont get in Bkk driving, I belive I can start writing a book, one subject is given:

"Why does the free non-AC goverment buses still race against each other?"

Their drivers are on a fixed salary, there is no comission, and no one cares who gets to the next stop first.

Today I saw 3, #56 buses (not 100% sure about the number but it was 3 with the same number) compete, picking up passengers way out in the lanes, blocking 3 lanes at some points, the only possible reason is "Sanook", its for fun.

Tommy

The only rule that applies is: "When I'm driving on a piece of tarmac, concrete or dirt, it's MY piece of tarmac, concrete or dirt."

Forget about yellow lines, lanes, left or right. If you're on it, it's yours.

I don't like the expression "driving defensively"as it can be misinterpreted, Driving decisively maybe?...expect the unexpected.....all these expressions come to mind, but they shouldn't need saying - All this indignation seems to stem from a "western" driver being shocked or surp[rised - well you shouldn't be - if you are you need to look at YOUR attitude to driving.

You can list driving habits of Thai people and make up lists of rules but they are worthless. You will never catagorise every "mistake" as in any other country .... the point is bad drivers will find driving in Thailand difficult - they are just as bad as many Thai drivers -

at the end of the day there is only one rule for driving - "There ARE no rules" - just common sense and reading the road.