German Engineer Killed By Bomb In Chon Buri

churchill

I've tipped off the German press (dpa, Welt, FAZ)...

Until now there has been no coverage...

I did already and "stimmt"; no coverage as of yet, including Bild.

LaoPo

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should really be good for tourism to Pattaya.

Won't be heard of outside the country.

why would you say that? it's on the front page of one of two english newspaper websites here.

not in Germany yet....but I forwarded it to 2 german newspapers. I think the attention of international press would help sometimes. But normally we all know. In a week or two nobody gives a sh1t anymore.

Even if this guy was not a good one, nobody deserves to die like this.

my condolences to his family and friends

Seems Farang developers attract this type of execution. The Canadian in Phuket recently, the hotly contested Coco's on Samui in court at present has already had a fair share of missing witnesses and the Farang and Thai partners have ripped off more than a billion Baht and then this.

Bring your money, expertise and employ the Thai's, get screwed in the process, take action the legal way and die. Hmmm.. is there anything wrong with this equation? :)

Edited by asiawatcher

More here...

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/august..._21_08_52.shtml

<H3 align=left>Body parts of German Engineer found in local plantation.

</H3>

Pattaya, August 21 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : Just after 11.30 on Friday Morning, Police Lieutenant Colonel Samae from Huoy Yai Police Station was called to a remote field after a farm worker discovered body parts strewn across part of the field and it was thought the body was that of a foreigner. Police arrived and cordoned off the area and began inspecting the body parts and found a driving license in the name of Mr. Uwe Keienburg aged 44 from Germany. Close-by was a device which contained evidence of C4 explosives. A Silver BMW 523i car was parked close-by and was found to be registered to Mr. Keienburg. Further checks into the victim confirmed he was employed as a Consultant Engineer for a company in Bangkok and back in 2004 he was involved in constructing the Suvanabumi Airport in Bangkok. It was also determined that he was in a dispute with a group of foreign property developers according to his wife, Khun Arayar aged 40 who explained that her Husband left their house in Bangkok at 9am on Thursday and failed to return. She had registered a missing persons report at Thonglor Police Station in Bangkok on Thursday Evening. Police are now basing the case on two theories. The first relates to the foreign developers Mr. Keienburg was in a dispute with and Police have also not ruled out suicide at this point. The investigation continues.

Hmmm.... :)

"....his wife, Khun Arayar aged 40 who explained that her Husband left their house in Bangkok at 9am on Thursday and failed to return. She had registered a missing persons report at Thonglor Police Station in Bangkok on Thursday Evening."

I remember myself "disappearing" for longer than 12-14 hours and can't recall my wife went to the police -the same day-, reporting me missing...but that doesn't mean anything I suppose. :D

LaoPo

not in Germany yet....but I forwarded it to 2 german newspapers. I think the attention of international press would help sometimes. But normally we all know. In a week or two nobody gives a sh1t anymore.

How should the attention of german newspapers help else then wreck the tourism even more? And that doesn't really help, does it?

Police have also not ruled out suicide at this point. The investigation continues.

good one..... Finally they will prove it was suicide. Happens every day, a guy goes into a shop, buy some C4, wraps it around his body and then...BOOOM...sorry but never heard of a suicide like this :)

Three things makes me really wonder who the perpretators were.

1. To get hands on C4, even in Thailand that's not a common explosive.

2. High tech remote trigger, uncommon as well.

3. Leave the BMW and not pick it apart? Not enough moneyes worth?

That's maybe why the real estate business is amongst the worst businesses in Thailand.

Criminals see the opportunity to make even more money from that than drugs and it's a legal business.

I am going to buy land and build my own house, I don't want to have anything to do with any criminals of any sort.

That doesn't safe guard me but minimizes the hazzard.

Of course not every real estate company houses criminals but who am I to know who's not?

\Mik

Police have also not ruled out suicide at this point. The investigation continues.

good one..... Finally they will prove it was suicide. Happens every day, a guy goes into a shop, buy some C4, wraps it around his body and then...BOOOM...sorry but never heard of a suicide like this :)

Agree......"Police said the killer used a remote control to detonate the bomb that torn his body into pieces." from OP article.

Police.... :D

LaoPo

How should the attention of german newspapers help else then wreck the tourism even more? And that doesn't really help, does it?

Errrmmm some guy gets blown up into small pieces in the most horrific way and you'd prefer it to be forgotten about for the sake of a few tourists not coming ... you're a genius!

Too many farangs are getting murdered its almost socially acceptable to knock one off, if getting this horrific story in the german press gets the Thai law makers to start even thinking about the safety of its guests, thats has to be a good thing.

Some interesting points in the MCOT News peice...

"Pol Lt-Col Prakorb Sangpring, head of the police investigative team at Huay Yai Police Station said an explosive device believed to be C-4 bomb had been attached to Mr Keienburt's stomach apparently to force him to negotiate or to reveal certain information. He speculated the victim was killed after refusing to give in."

&lt;deleted&gt;!!! :D

Errrmmm some guy gets blown up into small pieces in the most horrific way and you'd prefer it to be forgotten about for the sake of a few tourists not coming ... you're a genius!

Too many farangs are getting murdered its almost socially acceptable to knock one off, if getting this horrific story in the german press gets the Thai law makers to start even thinking about the safety of its guests, thats has to be a good thing.

UNCONDITIONALLY AGREED UPON!

Sprecken sie english? I didn't say it should be forgotten, it is obvious that the story comes in the german news, even without some TV memeber writing to them, I just asked How it should help? You are talking about "Thai law makers"?? What do they have to do with someone getting blown apart, you want to tell me they didn't make a law against this yet??? &lt;deleted&gt;!!! How the law makers gonna protect us, tell me!

This is extreme in more than one way. Who has the expertise to put this kind of bomb together? Where do you get C4? This isn't an ordinary hit.

My condolences to the friends and family.

Theres been a home made bomb incident in BKK with the use of C4 today also, perhaps there selling it up at the burmese boarder? :)

I have a question though: what was his distance from the bomb as while I see 500, it doesn't say 500m...

I assume though he had problems with competitors...

And I thought even with no signs showing its working that selling real-estate was not a job open to foreigners...

Some interesting points in the MCOT News peice...

"Pol Lt-Col Prakorb Sangpring, head of the police investigative team at Huay Yai Police Station said an explosive device believed to be C-4 bomb had been attached to Mr Keienburt's stomach apparently to force him to negotiate or to reveal certain information. He speculated the victim was killed after refusing to give in."

&lt;deleted&gt;!!! :D

A very horrible case. Sounds as if Mr Plod Prakorb is indeed speculatiing, unless he knows more than he's letting on. He may, of course, be right but the victim would have been extremely brave or foolish to refuse to hand over information, if he believed the device would really explode. Since the body was blown to pieces, there is also a strong possibility that the victim was shot dead first and then blown up like the Mongolian model who was killed on the orders of some one close to the top of the currect Malaysian administration. The intention in that case was to destroy evidence. In this case it would be more likely a show of power by some crack pots, as they have would have created possibly more evidence than they destroyed, since the use of C4 in a place where the remains would be found narrows down the possible suspects and their suppliers significantly. Whether he was killed by the blast or before it was certainly a show of power. His wife's comment suggests similarities with the Donald Whiting case in Hua Hin, where the farang property developer whose wife organized the shooting is still apparently happily working in Hua Hin on a valid work permit and visa undisturbed by the police. With all the new fuss about foreigners owning land, it seems incredible that certain foreigners are still allowed to do business as property developers with nominee Thai shareholders in violation of the Foreign Business Act and openly pay to have their dissatisfied customers assassinated. Money can buy everything in Thailand and there is not a crime that you cannot commit with impunity if you have enough of it and know who to bribe.

Edited by Arkady

Everyone seems to be assuming that he was a real estate developer. It sounds to me as though he was working as a civil engineering consultant to whoever the developer might be. Although why the killers targeted him is a mystery.

The tourism industry is in serious trouble already. I can't see how a German getting blown up with C4 will make much difference?

"....his wife, Khun Arayar aged 40 who explained that her Husband left their house in Bangkok at 9am on Thursday and failed to return. She had registered a missing persons report at Thonglor Police Station in Bangkok on Thursday Evening."

I remember myself "disappearing" for longer than 12-14 hours and can't recall my wife went to the police -the same day-, reporting me missing...but that doesn't mean anything I suppose. :)

Have you received death-threats and instructed your wife to be on the lookout in case anything happens out of the ordinary?

Uwe probably did since he had received it.

The same way I msg my wife to inform her when I get a cab with a driver that is falling asleep...so she knows where I am if something happens.

I remember myself "disappearing" for longer than 12-14 hours and can't recall my wife went to the police -the same day-, reporting me missing...but that doesn't mean anything I suppose. :)

Have you received death-threats and instructed your wife to be on the lookout in case anything happens out of the ordinary?

Uwe probably did since he had received it.

The same way I msg my wife to inform her when I get a cab with a driver that is falling asleep...so she knows where I am if something happens.

Fair enough; if he received death threats (his wife says so...) it shouldn't be too difficult to catch the killer(s). If these death threats were serious let's hope he went to the police to report them, prior to his death.

LaoPo

It wasn't that long ago that a young guy was shot in Pattaya beside his car,he had dealings in property too.

Been to Pattaya twice,god knows why people want to set up house there,there's lots of other places to go to in Thailand.

Why not set up shop just past Hua Hin? There's lots of nice beaches.

I have been once in Pataya as a friend got married and that was at least 26 years ago.

It was like Sukhumvit on the beach and I have never been back....

The tourism industry is in serious trouble already. I can't see how a German getting blown up with C4 will make much difference?

Surely it won't have a huge impact, I was actually just questioning if the german media could be able to help in any way. They can report it and surely in some potential tourists mind thailand will be tagged as "insecure", it is a rather spectacular way to kill somebody after all. Actually I just disagree with the idea that media will help or like later said will influence the "law makers" in thailand. You can bet that this news will be all over german media, since it is not something happening on a daily basis to German nationals at all. Sure the more people get the sense of insecurity in thailand they don't want to holiday in a potential dangerous place. This is happening anyway so it is not worth arguing about how to interpret a post. I am shocked myself that they would kill a person in this way. And I think the lawmakers are doing an "ok" job, I'm more concerned with the law-enforcement, that definitely needs a lot of change...(first of all why is it so easy to get weapons, explosives, hitmen,... and everybody in the country knows?)

Edited by noithip

UWE (RIP) was working in that business area, even if its not villas/houses, it's the the real estate industry where a lot of killings is going on not excluding any part of Thailand.

There were some commotion a while back about Suvarnabhumi airport concerning fraud with constructions.

I am not the one to say that this is the reason behind the killing but I wouldn't be surprised, if so the Bangkok maffia, Italian maffia and Russian maffia could all be in on it.

I don't have any knowledge about things like this though so I am probably way off, but I am concerned about the sheer amount of killings in real estate business.

\Mik

Everyone seems to be assuming that he was a real estate developer. It sounds to me as though he was working as a civil engineering consultant to whoever the developer might be. Although why the killers targeted him is a mystery.

Maybe he had a second job, investing in real estate.

A sad day for his family.

R.I.P. :)

Sprecken sie english? I didn't say it should be forgotten, it is obvious that the story comes in the german news, even without some TV memeber writing to them, I just asked How it should help? You are talking about "Thai law makers"?? What do they have to do with someone getting blown apart, you want to tell me they didn't make a law against this yet??? &lt;deleted&gt;!!! How the law makers gonna protect us, tell me!

Ok i will write this slowly so you understand.

The Thai lawmakers need to start enforcing laws to protect Farang guests far better then they are currently doing, even in the case of minor violence it is free reign for Thais to beat Farang senseless without them neeeding to worry about any kind of justice .... this violence is escalating and is what leading to the amount of Farang dying before their time in LOS.

So if it is the press enough and it starts affecting tourism this is a good thing, in you OP you clearly were bothered that this will affect tourism please read back to see what youve written.

Edited by sanmiguellight