Rediscovering Pattaya

cali4995

i went to this "thip's sandwhich" shop on the corner of 3rd road and pattaya glang the other morning

(since they open at 7am) and lo and behold i was served by miss thip herself and she's been running

this place for 20? 30? years? the food was GOOD. the service was POLITE. the price was FAIR. holy

batman? i was stunned? because this has become such an unusual thing here? i'm not related to this

lady but it is really NICE to see some old-fashioned friendliness and customer service still around. any

place YOU WANT to recommend that WANT you to return they actually WANT your/our business? :)

Edited by cali4995

Thai restaurant on Sukumvit Road - next to the LG service center , near Pattaya Klang - right across the way from the Ferrari and exotic high end car dealer.

Very unassuming place and the food there is consistently good with a great price , there are large fish tanks inside so if you see them , you're in the right place.

not only sandwiches, they have a complete varied menu, thai food, american favorites and of course sandwiches. interesting story

actually. thip and her husband started working at i think a US military camp here way back when and that's how they got their start.

yeah, i just really have a warm spot for old-school folks who try and earn an honest living and their decent people as well. i really

would prefer to only frequent places such as these why i solicited the opinions of others. i don't like rewarding those of bad service.

Edited by cali4995

Places I WANT to recommend:

Food - Cherry's on 3rd Road, nearly opposite Exyte

Drink (with nice food available) - Tigglebitties on Soi 17 (head towards Jomtien on 3rd Road, after crossing Pattaya Thai Soi 17 is at the next traffic lights on the left)

Both are excellent in terms of service, friendliness, fair pricing etc. I've only been here for 3.5 years, but I imagine these places are how everywhere used to be in the 'good ole days'.

not only sandwiches, they have a complete varied menu, thai food, american favorites and of course sandwiches. interesting story

actually. thip and her husband started working at i think a US military camp here way back when and that's how they got their start.

yeah, i just really have a warm spot for old-school folks who try and earn an honest living and their decent people as well. i really

would prefer to only frequent places such as these why i solicited the opinions of others. i don't like rewarding those of bad service.

Yes I agree with you. I went to eat at this place a long time ago, I went in and asked for Roast beef with mashed potatoes and veg.. It was not on the Menu, but they were ever so helpfull and they made it for me. It was Lovely and the service was great, nice and friendly. The only downfall, is there is no parking, its situated on a very busy corner. Nice and clean restaurent though.

another excellent place is "Sureena hotel & restaurant" on soi post office. they have a little open-air serving area and the

staff are ALWAYS nice. the thai food is reasonably inexpensive as well. yes, lets praise the good places. there are many

of them. lets hear your recommedations on any type of GOOD business. let's reward the nice people with our patronage.

A little insight on Thips Sandwich. Twenty years ago, she used to be located on Beach Road between Pattayaland and the Klang junction. In fact the place is now called Thip something-or-other but I was told that it has nothing more than part of the name and the old location in common. When Thip Sandwich was on the Beach Road many moons ago, I was a frequent diner there and it was always great quality and good value. Nice to know she's still on the ball and that there's no brand confusion... maybe only an issue if you have been away a while and remember the old place.

Anyway, from the title of this thread, it's not just eateries that are candidates for mention? Otherwise our resident culinary quality control guy will be busy counterclaiming... won't you Jing? Enough with the 'best breakfast' and 'best sausage' and 'best pizza' threads. Let's try and broaden the Pattaya Forums tentative steps towards creating an informal 'Better Business Bureau' list.

Sound idea cali !

I recommend Numchai electrical for your air-conditioning installations AND REPAIRS. There's a chap working out of their Naklua location called Ae who left his mobile number after a service call. Top installation & repairman, speaks fair english and if your pockets aren't deep enough for a new compressor (for example), he will source lower-priced, non brand-name or even used parts for you. He doesn't fit cheap parts without giving you the choice and getting your consent. Plus he gives a 30-day warranty on repairs regardless. New installations have manufacturers warranty honored.

Places I WANT to recommend:

Food - Cherry's on 3rd Road, nearly opposite Exyte

Drink (with nice food available) - Tigglebitties on Soi 17 (head towards Jomtien on 3rd Road, after crossing Pattaya Thai Soi 17 is at the next traffic lights on the left)

Both are excellent in terms of service, friendliness, fair pricing etc. I've only been here for 3.5 years, but I imagine these places are how everywhere used to be in the 'good ole days'.

I like Tigglebitties - but for the food rather than drinks.

It is open to the wind, so can cool your food quickly, but they serve good brekkies and good entrees.

And the girls are friendly.

Next door is ChicaBoom - where there is now food (has been for six monhts). This is a closed, a/c bar/resrtaurant

And, of course, if you continue along Soi 17 towards the Eden Hotel, you come to Caddy Shack - slightly more up-market and leaning towards the golfing community, but with friendly staff, good food at fairly reasonable prices.

I like all these, and the Pink Kitchen, opposite ChicaBoom. But that is Thhai owned, Thai run and without a reak understanding of what an expat wants. But they try - and are willling to listen to suggestions.

And if you want a quick snack - there's always the open market up by Liberty Mansion.

This area has no rip-off places that I know of, but also no high-end, western oriented establishments.

The buiders merchant up opposite the market is always helpful, but they do not speak English. I look around and try to explain by showing tools similar to what I want, or by gestures, or whatever - and they are always patient with this weird farang