Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

JJ and his crew of thugs have heavy Lao accents. Are they even Thai citizens or just criminals from Laos extorting money from tourists in Thailand?

I have read other similar comments on the Net claiming JJ isn't speaking Thai in the film (and uncut versions).

Yes, JJ is not speaking standard Thai, he is speaking Southern Thai dialect with a strong southern accent.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how much a Jet Ski costs to buy?

Not as in your face as the one that made the final cut, but here is JJ ripping off some US Marines (that never made the cut):

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGbbGs2clMU...feature=related

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiKr6VVy4Ac&NR=1

Wonder how much the Police (who were looking on) received?

Starting price for a base model is about 300k baht and they can go up to over 500k. Though they don’t show the damage in the video, there is no disagreement that was damaged and it is mentioned that there must have been a significant collusion. If there was large damage to hull, 40K baht might be high, but not necessarily unreasonable.

This wasn’t put into the series because they were US Marines and the audience is aimed at Brits.

TH

One thing I find very odd is that about 6 Royal Marines are held in check by 3 Thai guys, one of them with a gun. I know that they would probably have been briefed about how to behave when in a sticky situation, but that wouldnt really cover something like this. I would have thought that 6 Royal Marines would have started twatting people the moment that gun arrived on the scene. The situation was either staged, they werent Marines, or we better up their training a bit. I believe that on shore conduct is not expected to be maintained when the locals start pulling guns on you.

One thing I find very odd is that about 6 Royal Marines are held in check by 3 Thai guys, one of them with a gun. I know that they would probably have been briefed about how to behave when in a sticky situation, but that wouldnt really cover something like this. I would have thought that 6 Royal Marines would have started twatting people the moment that gun arrived on the scene. The situation was either staged, they werent Marines, or we better up their training a bit. I believe that on shore conduct is not expected to be maintained when the locals start pulling guns on you.

No wonder we are losing the war in Afghanistan.

My grandfather would have turned in his grave at the pathetic and cowardly response of these 'Marines'.

I just hope that 'JJ' meets his match one day. It will probably be a bespectacled librarian from Slough!

I find it a bit odd too,brief or no brief when someone pulls a gun your life is in danger and I'd have drove khun jj's adams apple out the back of his neck

before he could raise that rifle! :)

I find it a bit odd too,brief or no brief when someone pulls a gun your life is in danger and I'd have drove khun jj's adams apple out the back of his neck

before he could raise that rifle! :D

Followed by life in a Thai prison, but hey, You saved 3500 baht right?

Everyone's a tough guy on the internet. :)

You mean to tell me you would stand there and do nothing??....not knowing if its a bb or a .308??....not knowing if he's joking or going to shoot you??

When someone pulls a gun YOU have the right to protect yourself!!

What are you....a marine?? :D

Episodes 1 & 2 looked pretty reasonable representation of the types of things that go on in Thailands tourist destinations - staged or not. Mrs wasn't too impressed with the portrayal of Thailand and a bit annoyed at first until she started to just sit back and laugh at it. Basically shows that a lot of the repeat tourists to Thailand are the dregs of (UK) society, and Thailand pretty much gets what it deserves in the way its society operates to attract the dregs in the first place - chicken and egg. Not to say that there aren't nice toursists here that go to nice places too though.

When's episode 3 on U tube? I think this "Night Cops" meets TingTong Macadengdang has legs... :)

As for the less interesting issues of Tourist cops:

Well they're just background, and not really what people are interested in watching. I've tried to keep an open mind on them. Many of them seem to have their heart in the right place, but the amateurish nature and lack of Thai language skills is worrying sometimes. They shouldn't be given any more responsibility or authority than turning up at the scene as a friendly face speaking a foreign language. They don't have the skills to do police work. Then again many of the Thai police are basically paid amateurs as well :) .

At times the tourist police look like they help, but at others they look at best misleading in their (in)comptence, or look like they could actually add to the problems and confuse the situation. Some of these situations look like the tourist police should have been given real training, not just get in their and try to help and do their best, however well intentioned. No way they'd make it back home in a real police force and it shows. I'm sure there are times they help, but I'm sure there are sometimes they'd do more harm than good.

As a resident in Thailand, I wouldn't want these guys involved if I had a problem - them again I'd probably never need them either. They might be of use sometimes to tourists with little experience of Thailand. But to do so Thailand seriously needs to up the standards, reduce their role or get rid of them. Law and order isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a role play game - there's too much at stake, even if you do have a good heart.

As a resident in Thailand, I wouldn't want these guys involved if I had a problem - them again I'd probably never need them either. They might be of use sometimes to tourists with little experience of Thailand. But to do so Thailand seriously needs to up the standards, reduce their role or get rid of them. Law and order isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a role play game - there's too much at stake, even if you do have a good heart.

I think that most would agree that Thai police aren't up to 'international standard' so well said.

I'm interested, what would an appropriate and successful response be to getting scammed in Thailand? Any ideas?

From the jet-ski incident it seems that running didn't work, nor did shouting or trying to bargain or deal?

I thought that perhaps a documentary supposedly about the tourist police might include a 'law-enforcement' perspective or response - helpful hint or advice - there is nothing at all! Would anyone agree with my idea that upon being fleeced, you should just pay and then go to the police? Would that work or would that be ineffectual?

You mean to tell me you would stand there and do nothing??....not knowing if its a bb or a .308??....not knowing if he's joking or going to shoot you??

No cdnvic is not a marine (at least i don't think so)

Just someone with some common sense in Thailand.

No cdnvic is not a marine (at least i don't think so)

Just someone with some common sense in Thailand.

So protecting yourself from a TUG with a gun wouldn't be as you say "common sense"??

After watching i think the guy did damage the ski, JJ was pretty pissed off about it, if he was trying to scam, he would never had gone on camera. Probably a genuine case this time. Problem is it should be covered with insurance, hard in Thailand i know

Insurance is not possible because under Thai law, the jet-skis are for sport only and cannot be rented to others.

So protecting yourself from a TUG with a gun wouldn't be as you say "common sense"??

jj clearly said in one of the clips (uncut or cut i'm not sure now) That knives would be used also.

Can you imagine how that would have looked?

Is not using common sense to avoid confrontation, Common sense in it'self?

He who walks away from a fight lives to fight another day.

It takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight than rush headlong into one.

Edited by cyb

AND FINALLY...........

out from PHUKET GAZETTE, friday sep. 18, 2009 LINK http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...4&display=1

Company faces prosecution for Phuket jet-ski show

phuket-Winai-JJ-Naiman-on-film-at-Patong-Beach-Phuket-in-the-first-episode-of-Big-Trouble-in-Tourist-Thailand-1-BuEgUtP.jpg

Winai 'JJ' Naiman on film at Patong Beach, Phuket, in the first episode of 'Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand'.

PHUKET CITY: The Thai television company responsible for producing the Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand series, which featured footage of an alleged jet-ski scam on Phuket, is to be prosecuted, the Bangkok Post reported today.

The managers of Black Sheep Productions, which produced the show, could face 12 months in jail and fines of up to a million baht, the report said.

The first episode of the series showed a Patong jet-ski operator, Winai ‘JJ’ Naiman, extracting 35,000 baht from a group of British Royal Navy Marines in compensation for ‘damage’ to one of his vehicles.

At one point, Mr Winai was shown holding an air rifle as he argued aggressively with the men, who denied damaging the jet-ski.

For our previous report, click here.

As well as being broadcast on British TV, the show has been uploaded to YouTube, causing uproar among those who say jet-ski scamming is rife on Phuket’s beaches.

In today’s Bangkok Post report, Wanasiri Morakul, director of the Thailand Film Office, is quoted as saying those responsible for the show had violated Article 34 of the motion picture law by failing to submit the footage to the Tourism and Sports Ministry for approval before its broadcast abroad.

Director-general of the Office of Tourism Development, Seksan Nakawong, reportedly said the film-makers had violated Article 23 of the same law for making a film damaging to Thailand’s reputation.

Meanwhile, Region 8 police chief Lt Gen Santhan Chayanont has suggested the TV show was a deliberate attempt to tarnish the image of Thai tourism and the police force.

Lt Gen Santhan said many of the scenes, including those showing Mr Winai arguing with the British marines, looked like a set-up.

Gavin Hill, the British producer of the series, denies the allegations, saying the show was neither fake nor stage-managed.

A crucial meeting at Patong Municipality offices this afternoon will aim to hammer out details of a compulsory insurance scheme for the island’s jet-ski industry.

It is hoped such a scheme will put a stop to rip-offs and disputes on the island’s beaches.

Critics say it will be impossible to find an insurance company willing to insure unlicensed, potentially intoxicated tourists on the vehicles.

TiT :)

WhiteShrek:

Mrs wasn't too impressed with the portrayal of Thailand and a bit annoyed at first until she started to just sit back and laugh at it.

That's the predictable reaction from Thais with most things that are undesirable in the country. Laugh at littering, laugh at corruption, laugh at scamming. Laugh at ever becoming a mature and fair society, it seems.

I don't think the spirit of Article 23 is intended to encompass filming unscrupulous activities by locals. I assume it is intended for deliberate misinterpretations of events in Thailand.

As for Article 34 (submit footage to the Tourism and Sports Ministry?), this is a technicality. If the show had portrayed Thailand as a crime-free paradise, no one would be talking about any infringement of articles of law.

I want to put this out there again: This jet ski thing was not "staged." Staged means that all or most of the participants were working from a script or plan. We know that JJ has pulled this stunt before, evidenced the other Youtube video, and having a jet ski with old damage shows that this is part of his modus operandi.

My feeling is that the producer of the show could have implied (wink, nod) that he would like to have something on film that was "interesting." JJ knows that he can get away with whatever he wants and has an ego the size of Issan.

The fact is that JJ is a crook, and the Thai authorities should be targeting people like him, not the film company. It's sad that the Thai authorities first reaction is that the foreigners are wrong and breaking the law.

Regarding the foreigner "police," I would like one of them to post here on why they are needed. That they can't speak the local language would disqualify them from this sort of job in any country, so why is Thailand different? Why can't Thai officers take care of their own law enforcement? Foreigners understand foreigners is no answer. Chinese volunteers don't police Chinatowns in the US (or anywhere), so why is this sort of thing acceptable here?

Edited by Mark Wolfe

What a perfect reaction. I'm not one of these posters that comes on here to slag off whatever bad circumstances befall others and after reading Gavin's comments on Drummond's site I can definitely see his point about the direction the program has taken against his advice. Still, when you live here for a while you do become quite cognisant of the realities governing the pride Thais have in their country's image and how that manifests itself via the legal system when you successfully critique something important to pocketbooks or to that pride - this is regardless of one's feelings on the topic. Poor guy's going to be scapegoated for all of this, it sounds like, and by Western standards it's all quite absurd. I guess everyone looking to avoid trouble in as wholesale a manner as possible can add "Thailand-focused documentarian or journalist" to the blacklist of careers that currently includes "anything to do with real estate." It's a bit of a gamble as obviously many reporters living here file reports no less controversial (or "damaging" from the government's POV) than the footage shot by Gavin, but the unwritten rule is quite clearly that you can be outwardly critical of Thailand to the foreign press as long as no one notices, heh.

I do hope he manages to finesse his way out of any culpability or negative consequences, but right now it sounds like they're going after him and the production company with any obscure loophole or regulation they can find. If he can't get out of it, I do hope that he faces nothing stronger than economic or possibly immigration-related consequences. Matters of pride can be quite sensitive and clearly some serious feathers have been ruffled. Poor guy :)

WhiteShrek:
Mrs wasn't too impressed with the portrayal of Thailand and a bit annoyed at first until she started to just sit back and laugh at it.

That's the predictable reaction from Thais with most things that are undesirable in the country. Laugh at littering, laugh at corruption, laugh at scamming. Laugh at ever becoming a mature and fair society, it seems.

I don't think the spirit of Article 23 is intended to encompass filming unscrupulous activities by locals. I assume it is intended for deliberate misinterpretations of events in Thailand.

As for Article 34 (submit footage to the Tourism and Sports Ministry?), this is a technicality. If the show had portrayed Thailand as a crime-free paradise, no one would be talking about any infringement of articles of law.

I want to put this out there again: This jet ski thing was not "staged." Staged means that all or most of the participants were working from a script or plan. We know that JJ has pulled this stunt before, evidenced the other Youtube video, and having a jet ski with old damage shows that this is part of his modus operandi.

My feeling is that the producer of the show could have implied (wink, nod) that he would like to have something on film that was "interesting." JJ knows that he can get away with whatever he wants and has an ego the size of Issan.

The fact is that JJ is a crook, and the Thai authorities should be targeting people like him, not the film company. It's sad that the Thai authorities first reaction is that the foreigners are wrong and breaking the law.

Regarding the foreigner "police," I would like one of them to post here on why they are needed. That they can't speak the local language would disqualify them from this sort of job in any country, so why is Thailand different? Why can't Thai officers take care of their own law enforcement? Foreigners understand foreigners is no answer. Chinese volunteers don't police Chinatowns in the US (or anywhere), so why is this sort of thing acceptable here?

True about the foriegner police, they remind me of the union reps in one of me earliest employments. They were completely useless.

Edited by enyaw

Where in the world are black dressed police officers...? Anybody ?

This isn't a nazi country for heavens' sake :)

LaoPo

I'll chime in rather late here.

I retired from a large metro police department ( 3,380 officers) in Arizona and in late 2003 we switched from blue to black uniforms.

Most of the public welcomed them. Easier to care for and makes it not so easy to see ya at night. ( the blue one's faded to quickly in the Arizona sun)

So far after watching both episodes of this show I find it entertaining.

In my previous career, I had the mis-fortune of having the american tv show "Cops" follow us around for over 2 months to get one half hours worth of bullshit on film. Producers wanted us to do things we would not do, they bitched, the city told 'em to buzz off, and don't come back. They didn't.

Back in the 90's I submitted a request for a firefighter to recieve a life saving award after his actions which saved the life of a 14 yr old girl in a terrible vehicle accident. The now cancelled show "Rescue 911" staring Wm Shatner ( Cpt James T. Kirk of Star Trek fame ) was sent a copy and wanted to do a show..well, after 4 nights of filming ( yes, I had a part in it..my one and only Hollywood part and my visions of being the new Denis Farina were dashed ) they had distorted almost every thing that happened that night.

I have posted my thoughts and feelings on the TFPV on the CM forum before. You'd never see me doing that kinda stuff....but then I did it for real for over 20 yrs and have no more patience for idiots, drunks and <deleted>. My days of babysitting are over.

The argument is, was the situation given a push in a certain direction? Consider a wildlife photographer who is commissioned to get some exciting footage of gazelles leaping through a picturesque ravine. He cant just sit around forever with his camera waiting.

And the point here, using your analogy, is that gazelles DO leap through picturesque ravines. JJ does scam tourists and has been filmed doing it before. He has at least one "damaged" watercraft ready for the job.

The behavior that the filmmaker wanted was behavior inherent in JJ jet ski rental man.

The idea of this being staged implies that otherwise, it would never happen on its own. This is false. JJ is a crook and this account on film is only documenting what has happened in the past (and will continue in the future).

I retired from a large metro police department ( 3,380 officers) in Arizona and in late 2003 we switched from blue to black uniforms.

Most of the public welcomed them. Easier to care for and makes it not so easy to see ya at night. ( the blue one's faded to quickly in the Arizona sun)

With a force that large in Arizona, that has to be Phoenix. How the heck did you guys manage to work with Arpaio and his merry band of thugs? It must be quite a sideshow trying to run a serious police department in a city where some carpetbagging dime store Mussolini is constantly chasing the cameras and pulling all kinds of ridiculous antics (when he's not busy abusing immigrants and inmates). There's a guy who would be right at home in a less structured country with weaker institutions where he could run amok even worse. I always assumed he was part of why Hurtt eventually left for Houston (aside from the obvious promotion). </derail>

WhiteShrek:

True about the foriegner police, they remind me of the union reps in one of me earliest employments. They were completely useless.

My impression of a couple of the foreigner tourist police is that they quite liked the role, the uniform and talking 'police' stuff.

I can't put my finger on it but the big English guy looked to be quite impressed with himself. Body language probably. May be way off the mark here but that is the impression I got. A bit like some of the traffic wardens and police helpers back in UK.

The argument is, was the situation given a push in a certain direction? Consider a wildlife photographer who is commissioned to get some exciting footage of gazelles leaping through a picturesque ravine. He cant just sit around forever with his camera waiting.

And the point here, using your analogy, is that gazelles DO leap through picturesque ravines. JJ does scam tourists and has been filmed doing it before. He has at least one "damaged" watercraft ready for the job.

The behavior that the filmmaker wanted was behavior inherent in JJ jet ski rental man.

The idea of this being staged implies that otherwise, it would never happen on its own. This is false. JJ is a crook and this account on film is only documenting what has happened in the past (and will continue in the future).

Exactly right. Also bear in mind that Thais need to feel superior/smarter than other people; to have more face, and scamming people proves to themselves that they are smarter, or 'getting one over' on someone else (doesn't matter if it's another Thai or a foreigner).

Psychologically, it will have given JJ a really huge rush to have scammed some foreigners on film. I doubt he thought about it for more than a millisecond.

Pity it all turned to shit for him, but it will be quietly swept under the rug when the 9-day wonder is forgotten. That's just what happens in Thailand - then it will be right back to business as usual. Don't look for any significant or lasting change no matter who is weeping crocodile tears and no matter which high officials are wringing their hands. Nothing will change because the influential Thais like it just the way it is. This is the house than Jack built and Jack built this house because it pays Jack to have his house this way. It is not accidental.

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

With a force that large in Arizona, that has to be Phoenix. How the heck did you guys manage to work with Arpaio and his merry band of thugs? It must be quite a sideshow trying to run a serious police department in a city where some carpetbagging dime store Mussolini is constantly chasing the cameras and pulling all kinds of ridiculous antics (when he's not busy abusing immigrants and inmates). There's a guy who would be right at home in a less structured country with weaker institutions where he could run amok even worse. I always assumed he was part of why Hurtt eventually left for Houston (aside from the obvious promotion). </derail>

Haha..Greasy hairy Joe. Ya know he's former DEA, typical.

I had a few chance meetings with him and he was always trying to recruit from my department. Told me once ( after we had switched from blue uniforms to black) "ya know..it takes 5 blue to make a good brown" ( the color of MCSO's uniforms) I laughed at him.

We always said and I learned this in the academy.. If your department wears anything but blue, you're an ass kissing department".

Harold was a good man and we were all sad when he left. Another good one left and became the Chief of Dallas PD.

Sorry didn't quite erase them words quick enough.

&lt;deleted&gt;

Edited by enyaw

jj clearly said in one of the clips (uncut or cut i'm not sure now) That knives would be used also.

Can you imagine how that would have looked?

Is not using common sense to avoid confrontation, Common sense in it'self?

He who walks away from a fight lives to fight another day.

It takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight than rush headlong into one.

Your right!,it does take a bigger man to walk away!

From what i remember of the vid jj said the marine DID try to walk or "run" away but was taken back by jj and his buddy's!

JJ tried to bully the marine out of 44k,after a while the marine said he'd pay 35k (which i think everyone here knows was way too much) and jj pulled a rifle out!

I don't know about anyone else here,but being held against your will and talk of knifes and guns waved about,to me is a big red flag!

I would like to know why this JJ scam took place at his boatyard/house, rather than on the beach, where the damage would, or would not have been detected straight away.

For all we know it could well have been a previously damaged jetski that was produced from the back of the shed and NOT the one that the marine used and (allegedly) damaged

Penkoprod

"udonfarang52, you seem so quick to anger"

It would be much better if you kept you personal opinions to yourself.I do not get angry,no need to.i have been coming to Thailand for 40 years,settled here 5 years ago.

i am simply defending hard working volunteers,who give a great deal of there time,to assist those in need ,be it,Thai or farang.

get your priorities right!!!

A while ago i was lost and confused at a bus station, quite unable to get reasonable help from any Thai, when i spotted a farang tourist policeman. What a relief as he was so helpful.

Yes they should be respected as there definately a place for them.