Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

The fact that you come on a public forum like this talking about how you would have liked to 'bash' someone makes a mockery of the volunteer force that you work for. Any officer whether volunteer or not in a real police force would be instantly suspended....

Nonsense, you have no grasp of reality I hear.

Without revealing background I can tell you that after an incident there is always talk about 'what one would have liked to do'. It is a way to process the event.

However, the mature and professional policeman/soldier/body-/security-/guard/etc all know where the line is and don't cross it. That is the sign of being professional.

Having emotions isn't a criminal act [yet]. It is acting on them that can be.

Understand the difference.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you come on a public forum like this talking about how you would have liked to 'bash' someone makes a mockery of the volunteer force that you work for. Any officer whether volunteer or not in a real police force would be instantly suspended....

Without revealing background I can tell you that after an incident there is always talk about 'what one would have liked to do'. It is a way to process the event.

However, the mature and professional policeman/soldier/body-/security-/guard/etc all know where the line is and don't cross it. That is the sign of being professional.

Correct, I was not aware that "thought crimes" were in the Thai Constitution

I would have to find it and download it and post it, but really, straight out of the gestapo magazine.

You were standing and being interviewed or some such thing somewhere, let me see if i can find it.

Perhaps a wig might make you a little more user friendly for stills....only stills mind you...or a nice red cap.

HM....job well done, think you guys are doing a good job on behalf of many.

I also think you should have a better command of the Thai language in such a job though.

Also you need to do something about your photogeniality.....you come across as a knob in still pics, but a reasonable and gentle guy in video.

Cheers.

didnt realise beauty/attractiveness was part of being in the force, if it was, most wouldnt get in

:D:D:)

If a little slap on the back gets you excited, wait till episode 4. A big fight erupted at the TP Van and I am in the thick of it, trying to stop everyone fighting!!!! It actually happened in April 2008 and was filmed for the pilot of the show.

The point is that you claim you are there to help tourists and that you aren't a police officer, yet you seem to think it is acceptable to slap people from behind because they have been annoying earlier. You then stand there smiling while a tourist, who you're there to help, is assaulted, even making a little joke about it. That is not the behaviour of a professional and the slap was completely unjustified, unnecessary and constituted common assault, regardless of what your supervisor thinks.

If a little slap on the back gets you excited, wait till episode 4. A big fight erupted at the TP Van and I am in the thick of it, trying to stop everyone fighting!!!! It actually happened in April 2008 and was filmed for the pilot of the show.

The point is that you claim you are there to help tourists and that you aren't a police officer, yet you seem to think it is acceptable to slap people from behind because they have been annoying earlier. You then stand there smiling while a tourist, who you're there to help, is assaulted, even making a little joke about it. That is not the behaviour of a professional and the slap was completely unjustified, unnecessary and constituted common assault, regardless of what your supervisor thinks.

Thanks for that, whoever you are and wherever you are. :)

Sorry for missing it, but is there a link to a clip directly of the slap in question so I can see it too? I prefer to argue over situations I have seen and can form an opinion on. :)

Sorry for missing it, but is there a link to a clip directly of the slap in question so I can see it too? I prefer to argue over situations I have seen and can form an opinion on. :)

page 34 youtube part 2

I personally would be embarrassed to stand on the corner all dressed up like a clown but for some it's an ego boost. In reality they have no authority what so ever, quite harmless really. :)

I live in Pattaya and have never met or even seen any of the volunteers but why do people constantly knock them? not everybody is content to sit at home with the familly . for goodness sake cut them some slack.

you obviously haven't heard about the TPV's that are packing heat and selling smack, or macing ladyboys in charles bronson fashion.

there are more bad apples in the ranks.

The fact that Howard admitted to wanting to bash him has no relevance.

The fact is he did not.

Thinking and doing are two entirely different things.

One more point at least he was being honest.

How many police in your country (if they were really honest) would admit to wanting to do the same thing? Many i think.

I am really getting tired of seeing this sort of character bashing on tv.

No, he didn't bash the guy, but he did slap someone who was not acting in a threatening manner, from behind, just because he had stolen some keys and had annoyed him earlier.

Of course police officers would admit that they wanted to slap him for being a muppet, but they also act professionally and don't. If they do overstep the mark then they can expect to be disciplined and punished, the same as anyone else.

The main point I am trying to make in my posts is that the TPV are touted as being there to help tourists and re-assure them, yet some of them seem to be acting beyond their remit.

Contrast the Samui officers taking time to sit with an arrested girl and explain what is happening, or helping out injured tourists at the Full Moon party, with the Pattaya ones who seem to enjoy getting involved in confrontations that are nothing to do with them and acting as though they are sworn police officers with full powers.

Guess the program wouldn't be as exciting if it was just them sat in an office all night or giving directions to lost tourists though :)

Had to laugh at the Kosovan guy,what a tit and he deserved a slap.

This guy makes the TP look like pussy cats

My pleasure. I'm calling it like I see it.

Is what I wrote incorrect?

My pleasure. I'm calling it like I see it.

Is what I wrote incorrect?

You are calling it as you saw it on an edited TV show produced for entertainment purposes with no knowledge of the background to the case and how we operate. If you are happy with that then I respect your opinions.

here tis...

post-79876-1253860292_thumb.jpg

Christ!!!! That picture is terrible, certainly not one of my finer moments!!!

I've been looking hard for a desktop background that would make me feel better when I look in the mirror. Thanks.

Sorry, couldn't resist it Howard :)

here tis...

post-79876-1253860292_thumb.jpg

Christ!!!! That picture is terrible, certainly not one of my finer moments!!!

I've been looking hard for a desktop background that would make me feel better when I look in the mirror. Thanks.

Sorry, couldn't resist it Howard :)

Ok OK, I can explain why I look like a foot soldier on the photo.

It was taken while the cameraman was asking me to move slightly left and then slightly right to ensure the shot looked good with the Pattaya City sign in tjhe background. That is why I am standing as I am in the picture.

It seemed like none of the rough handling of the Kosovan started until he was given the slap in the back by the tourist police officer, which was the tacit go-ahead for the others to continue it.

Perhaps accepting your acts were not on taht occasion up to usual professional standards ; might have been a better response to support your case. HM

that silly bugger deserved the slap....worth repeating :)Howard.gif

Edited by Donnyboy

This is why most modern ploice forces actually have assesment officers employed, they disect real incidents and look at how the police bahave in situations then make recommenddations for imporovment

that silly bugger deserved the slap....worth repeating :)Howard.gif

I don't know what program you used to do that but you should prepare yourself for Episode 4, now that will get you lot talking.

You are calling it as you saw it on an edited TV show produced for entertainment purposes with no knowledge of the background to the case and how we operate. If you are happy with that then I respect your opinions.

Ah, so they cut the part where he was about to attack you, or one of your colleagues, and sneakily edited it to make it look as if you slapped a man from behind who was no immediate threat to anyone. They also cut the earlier scenes where he had been violent meaning you needed to escalate up the conflict resolution model to use force. They then cleverly cut between 2 seperate scenes to make it look like he was bundled in a van by a number of officers while you joked about it. Apologies if I didn't realise that, it just looked to me like someone overreacting and abusing their 'powers' :)

Who would produce such a show, filming people in trouble, then selectively editing it to make dramatic, controversial footage, with no thought to the truth, or how a persons reputation may be affected....eh? oh :D

Ah, so they cut the part where he was about to attack you, or one of your colleagues, and sneakily edited it to make it look as if you slapped a man from behind who was no immediate threat to anyone. They also cut the earlier scenes where he had been violent meaning you needed to escalate up the conflict resolution model to use force. They then cleverly cut between 2 seperate scenes to make it look like he was bundled in a van by a number of officers while you joked about it. Apologies if I didn't realise that, it just looked to me like someone overreacting and abusing their 'powers' :)

Who would produce such a show, filming people in trouble, then selectively editing it to make dramatic, controversial footage, with no thought to the truth, or how a persons reputation may be affected....eh? oh :D

All I can say to you is, if an open hand slap to someones back excites you so much, I would suggest you save your energies for Episode 4 "Do Not Resist!!" :D

I suppose one has to think about what would be acceptable in a professional law enforcement setting. The drunk man was no threat and was only pathetic. Sort of like smacking a old person with Alzheimers. You can do it, but is it necessary or warranted?

I was more surprised to see whoever it was rush the inside of the van (I think he was wearing yellow or orange) and apparently slug the man, and Howard subsequently saying the man was bleeding profusely, or did I just imagine that?

(Oh, and I agree 100 percent with State Six.)

I think what might be making the Thai authorities mad is that the series makes it clear that Thai jurisprudence is quite unfair and unreliable. There is no doubt that the guy done for the illegal pills was guilty, but the way the thing was handled -- the judge (ever-so-impartial) pronouncing his own verdict before anything had really proceeded -- makes the Thai legal system a laughing stock. The woman caught holding a joint could have bought her way out of trouble, if she had had the money. Thai authorities are so (fill in the blank)...that they can't or won't police their own turf because it is frequented by aliens (District 9, anyone?)? What is that all about?

I think policing is absolutely necessary in a place like Walking Street, but I still am not sure why Thais can't police segments of their own country.