Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

To be honest if I got into trouble with some local Thais I would rather have the Thai police turn up to deal with it. A local Thai is more likely to respond to a Thai police officer than a farang who doesn't speak his language, isn't a police officer and has no powers. The only real benefit to having a TPV at the scene would be to translate and we have seen how these skills are lacking. To turn it around, if you ran a business in your home country and there was trouble with a customer would you want the local police to turn up, or some local tourist volunteer. I would certainly not take seriously someone who wasn't a police officer and who didn't even speak English and was tring to sort it out. How would you react if you caught some guy urinating on your car, and some guy wandered up and started getting involved and saying stuff like "Driver, where?" in badly broken English. Are you a copper? No? Well do one then, would be my response.

That said, the TPV can have a positive role in many other situations, such as explaining what is happening, what the legal situation is and liaising with the police to get you information. They can also be useful as a friendly face at the entrance to Walking Street and can act as guides, offering directions to hotels, helping to take initial details for crime reports etc, or for tourists to report things that they may not want to report to the RTP. This is the sort of stuff that Simon43 seems to do in Bangkok, or the Samui TPV do, and no-one seems to be criticizing them or their team.

Constructive criticism should be welcomed and taken on board and I don't believe it is bitching to say that slapping people on the back of the head, trying to put arm locks on people while shouting do not resist me, telling someone you are police when you are not, threatening to lock people up or getting involved in situations which are clearly sworn police officers duties is wrong. Calling them nazis because of their uniform is not constructive crticism and such posters deserve to be ignored.

I looked into getting involved with the Bangkok team, but decided that I could not realistically do enough hours due to work and personal commitments. Does that mean I do not have the right to comment?

As for going to Walking Street to speak to Howard, I don't think I could get that past the missus. 'Hi honey, I am going to Pattaya this weekend. Only so I can chat to Howard about the TPV.' :D

BTW congrats on the wedding Howard.

All salient points :)

RAZZ

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flicked dead cigarette from window and sat down to type this. The “day before yesterday”. The only tree in sight had green leaves and the sky was pink. This evening its leaves were heading puddles to the soundtrack of passing students chat. They’d given some bird “pink eye”.

“Ooh, I’d love to be in LOS” I dreamed. “I hear you can give pink-eye all the time. The “rides” are better than “Disney””.

Then I remembered…

Last night I saw “Big Trouble In Thailand” on Bravo.

It was a repeat of a repeat. I saw some trees. I saw some students. I saw some motorcycle accidents. I saw some students wrapped around motorcycle accidents. Trees featured background.

Brit-cop claimed - no irony - “if you do the crime, do the time”. Editor parried with split-screen wretched Manc pill-head. Caught 19 out-caged 44.

Brit-cop again. Someone’s daughter (her parents watch TV ???) capable of speech despite...

Went back. Lit cigarette. It’s black and it’s dark outside and I couldn’t see the tree. But it was there. It’s spitting rain on my fingers and it’s not going to get lighter for another six months.

And I ask myself again and again….

Should I move to Thailand?

Edited by Lite Beer
Profanity deleted. Lite Beer

interesting that they seat the persons that are "upset" with each other near each other, and later figure its a good idea to seperate them.

maybe waiting for something to happen.

also, last weeks camera in the bar deal, any of the bars use 2.4 ghz wireless cameras, easy to tap into the signal if so.?

may have to scan the area next time

I've watched all the episodes shown on bravo to date. tbh my reaction is blank....just run of the mill stuff....no real attempt to fight the thai stereotypes eg 'dirty old man in pattaya'.

last night's episode showed a 72yo guy bigging up the fact he can chat up 20yo girls & some LB's in chiang mai describing how tourists like them to 'suck la c*ck' and '<deleted> le ass'.

vomit.

Well done Howard Miller and your crew yet more bad publicity for Thailand what are you going to do next have lunch with Gary Glitter????????? :)

Why not , after all this is in Pattaya and Phuket where all the bad things are happening.

If this stops tourists from coming to Thailand to do crime its a good thing.

Thanks!! Just watched episode 6, though I fast-forwarded through the ubiquitous jail scene.

Strange to do a ladyboy segment in Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok or Pattaya. And then, they could have picked a cabaret type thing to cover, that's visually more appealing. Still, never bad to get Chiang Mai on the map as a place that has bars. In reality it's pretty dire to be honest. :)

The backpackers being questioned brought back many memories of my days in that business. I always found it a bit suss how they only get robbed just before leaving for home.

Not necessarily guilty as charged though, were they.

After over three hours they got the report from then police. The telling point in the veracity of their claim was thast the police found no camera in their luggage. That's not to say there is no fraud by others but it did seem the tpv had already convicted them!!

The TPV member interviewed was speaking in more general terms, not about the two kids featured.

I agree but he was talking in the context of this particular case and his comments were juxtaposed with interviews about this case. The clear effect was to make them look guilty. The point is that while most or many cases may be frauds this one was not proved to be one. But that point was only mentioned briefly at the end.

It would have been better for the film crew to have picked a case that supported their supposition that frauds are increasing in Thailand. Which then begs the question whether they could actually find one. The TPV seemed to think there were many.

Well done Howard Miller and your crew yet more bad publicity for Thailand what are you going to do next have lunch with Gary Glitter????????? :)

Why not , after all this is in Pattaya and Phuket where all the bad things are happening.

If this stops tourists from coming to Thailand to do crime its a good thing.

I agree your last sentence and I assume that you also think it would be a good thing if it stops scammers like JJ commiting crimes against tourists. Your argument works both ways.

Has anyone else noticed that the best TPVs in the show were the women?

If one gets back to the intent of the TPVs, those ladies do it. If I had a problem, I'd rather deal with one of those gals than a black shirt of Pattaya. I think the show did a good job in that respect.

And now to a point that really annoyed me.

JetsetBkk:
And what do you think policemen in the UK or US did before they became policemen?

Graduate from the police academy, perhaps?

Someone's never met a rural Sheriff in the US. :)

All newly elected U.S. sheriffs are sent to a national training school. They also receive additional training from their respective states. In addition, federal agencies like the ATF, FBI and NTSB hold special courses throughout the year. Even the state forensic laboratories provide a crash course for the sheriffs. The days of Andy Griffith and Barney Phyfe are long gone.

If one gets back to the intent of the TPVs, those ladies do it. If I had a problem, I'd rather deal with one of those gals than a black shirt of Pattaya. I think the show did a good job in that respect.

JetsetBkk:
And what do you think policemen in the UK or US did before they became policemen?

Someone's never met a rural Sheriff in the US. :D

All newly elected U.S. sheriffs are sent to a national training school. They also receive additional training from their respective states. In addition, federal agencies like the ATF, FBI and NTSB hold special courses throughout the year. Even the state forensic laboratories provide a crash course for the sheriffs. The days of Andy Griffith and Barney Phyfe are long gone.

Ahh, so you're a retired country Sheriff, aintcha! :)

The backpackers being questioned brought back many memories of my days in that business. I always found it a bit suss how they only get robbed just before leaving for home.

After over three hours they got the report from then police. The telling point in the veracity of their claim was thast the police found no camera in their luggage. That's not to say there is no fraud by others but it did seem the tpv had already convicted them!!

The TPV member interviewed was speaking in more general terms, not about the two kids featured.

And also, not finding a camera in their backpack hardly means that the report of a crime isn't faked.

I can walk into a station tomorrow and claim someone stole a new camera, 3 video-game consoles and some other goodies.

And?

I've watched all the episodes shown on bravo to date. tbh my reaction is blank....just run of the mill stuff....no real attempt to fight the thai stereotypes eg 'dirty old man in pattaya'.

last night's episode showed a 72yo guy bigging up the fact he can chat up 20yo girls & some LB's in chiang mai describing how tourists like them to 'suck la c*ck' and '<deleted> le ass'.

vomit.

I thought the 72 your old( he actually looks more like 90 something) says a lot about why older males come to Thailand in particular Pattaya. The old man made the point in effect that any attempt to even talk to a young woman or flirt with her back in his own country would be viewed with suspicion and derision. Here in Thailand he has no such problem.

Says more about the Ageism and Victorian attitude to sex back in the UK, eh?!

Sex is fun and for fun and should be enjoyed by all adults whatever their age and without guilt, even if it might often be a business transaction.

Britain and most other countries can learn a lot about how Thailand does things and their attitude to life and living.

And your 'vomit' remarks merely shows how prudish and restricted you are in your world-view.

Edited by R123

Ahh, so you're a retired country Sheriff, aintcha! :)

Speaking of local yokels and backwoods Sheriffs, the Hummer chase in episode 5 reminded me of that scene in the James Bond movie where Bond is in a chase through Thaiand's waterways and he crosses paths with a hick sheriff. I sort of expected that hummer to end up in a klong or smashing through some old lady's fruit cart, revealing a scantily clad woman. The rudeboy in me would point out that the Bond character was played by Roger Moore who was neither intimidating nor much of a threat as were Brosnan, Dalton and Craig.

The rudeboy in me would point out that the Bond character was played by Roger Moore who was neither intimidating nor much of a threat as were Brosnan, Dalton and Craig.

How could you leave out Sir Sean Connery? :)

And also, not finding a camera in their backpack hardly means that the report of a crime isn't faked.

I can walk into a station tomorrow and claim someone stole a new camera, 3 video-game consoles and some other goodies.

And?

Tawp, these were tourists on the final days of their holiday. Have you ever met a tourist that does not have a camera. The likelihood is that they were innocent.

British police would have taken a lot less than three hours. They would have checked the existence in all their luggage of a camera (and photos - in the event they were being smart and dumping the camera but keeping the photos.)

You can't assume that all tourists are fraudsters.

Edited by caf

And?

And... innocent until proven guilty, in most civilized countries! :)

They weren't payed on the spot for their alleged missing goods; they were only issued a copy of a police report. I could also go to the police here in the US and file a police report for just about any crime, real or otherwise.

The police report is only half of the picture. The other half is the claim they will have to file with their insurance company back home, which will evaluate the claim (probably taking into account the police report, but knowing full well what it is worth, given its source), and make their own decision. If the two are discovered to be committing insurance fraud back home, there are laws with punishments for offenders there, too.

And?

And... innocent until proven guilty, in most civilized countries! :)

They weren't payed on the spot for their alleged missing goods; they were only issued a copy of a police report. I could also go to the police here in the US and file a police report for just about any crime, real or otherwise.

The police report is only half of the picture. The other half is the claim they will have to file with their insurance company back home, which will evaluate the claim (probably taking into account the police report, but knowing full well what it is worth, given its source), and make their own decision. If the two are discovered to be committing insurance fraud back home, there are laws with punishments for offenders there, too.

I was left wondering how long the TV crew hung around waiting to film a guilty insurance claim.

The only conclusion for me is that there are more robberies than insurance scams.

Unsurprisingly.

last night's episode showed a 72yo guy bigging up the fact he can chat up 20yo girls

I thought the 72 your old( he actually looks more like 90 something) says a lot about why older males come to Thailand in particular Pattaya.

He actually said 17 year olds at first.

Disgusting.......

last night's episode showed a 72yo guy bigging up the fact he can chat up 20yo girls

I thought the 72 your old( he actually looks more like 90 something) says a lot about why older males come to Thailand in particular Pattaya.

He actually said 17 year olds at first.

Disgusting.......

disgusting? what buying a drink for a 17 year old?!

JetsetBkk:

Someone's never met a rural Sheriff in the US. :)

False.

True.

FBI Natl Academy ( if there are slots open, not usually a requirement, but the job announcement may require it prior to hiring )

Must pass the state POST test for PO certification*

Qualify on a firearms range*

* Failure = out of a job

( All applicants are former or retired upper level ranking law enforcement officers from different agencies ( majority, but some are Lt's or above) anyway and normally only need to do the range time and POST test.. )

Now I have to go watch episode 6....

Backpackers - well I don't find the hrs spent in the police station surprising - pretty much like that anywhere in the world. I'm sure it was even longer due to the language barriers. Also might add insurance fraud is ripe - just read the other day a british woman being arrested in a SAmerican country for same thing. The police searched her room and found the missing camera and other items she reported stolen.

Middle Eastern Lad - again as you see Citizen's arrest is valid in Thailand. You can hold someone until the BIB arrives, so this should confirm that yes HM and assistants can do so without a problem. The lad ended up being right about the stolen mobile, but he isnt the brightest - never leave your mobile on a bar. Even the BG(s) will tell you not to do this - easily nicked. HM comments about her parents not knowing what she was up to was most likely well off mark. Most of parents know what their daughters are up to and approve of it - especially when these birds make more than a months wager in a weeks work. Mind you - way too young to be doing such things at 17. :D Then HM contradicts himself with well the families force them into this and pressure them for good money and one shouldnt surprised when theft occurs. Now these birds come/go as they please. The forced ones end up in the nasty thai brothels patroned by thai(s) - now this is smth that should be the focus of action and sympathy.

Old Lad - creepy looking. :D The 17yr old comment gave me pause... :D However think he was meaning chatting up in a bar least that's what I hope. :)

BG vs Russian Bird - seemed much about nothing and blown completely out of proportion. Why anyone gets to the point of needing police intervention I'll never know? I suppose pride/ego gets in the way. Personally if a misunderstanding occurred such as whatever happened in the beer bar. I would apologize right/wrong and make an exit. However suppose when two legless people are involved - hard to make sense. I thought it was just plain weird the Wai bit and forced apology. :D

Injured Russian Tourist - HM convinces Russian lad high on smth to go to the hospital.

CM ladyboy - :D Ok - second material on the show that has nought to do with cops. Do we really need to hear that lads like to be buggered and blow ladyboys? :D

Iceman banged yup in Pattaya Prison - cautionary tale dont get involved in drug business. Said he was halfway through his sentence (been in prison for 1.5yrs) - so that would make it 3yrs? (seems lenient by thai standards) Ran out of dosh, so ended up turning to drug trade to carry on his lifestyle when prob should have just packed it in and gone home.

In summary- worst show yet. It seems that anything of value cops wise has been tossed out the window and now its mostly a show about naughty nightlife. I kind of cringe to see what the next episodes will be like - will watch them though!! :D Howard came off well again - kind of shake my head how he deals with these muppets day after day.

Middle Eastern Lad - again as you see Citizen's arrest is valid in Thailand. You can hold someone until the BIB arrives, so this should confirm that yes HM and assistants can do so without a problem. The lad ended up being right about the stolen mobile, but he isnt the brightest - never leave your mobile on a bar. Even the BG(s) will tell you not to do this - easily nicked.

I see many mobiles left unattended-stupid.

BG vs Russian Bird - seemed much about nothing and blown completely out of proportion. Why anyone gets to the point of needing police intervention I'll never know? I suppose pride/ego gets in the way. Personally if a misunderstanding occurred such as whatever happened in the beer bar. I would apologize right/wrong and make an exit. However suppose when two legless people are involved - hard to make sense. I thought it was just plain weird the Wai bit and forced apology. :)

Agreed, its best to make nice then leave, nothing to be gained by hanging around. I had to chuckle at the Thai girl insisting the Russian girl wai her. A little discipline, no? Oh well, TIT :D

Has anyone else noticed that the best All newly elected U.S. sheriffs are sent to a national training school.[/color]

False.

Really? Full service sheriffs do indeed have to go to the course sponsored by the National Association of Sheriffs. There are a few incentives;

1. The county's liability insurance provider makes it a requirement.

2. Funding requirements from the federal and state agencies that say no money unless the sheriff goes.

If one wishes to nitpick, yes one does not have to be trained prior to taking the office. However, I'd suggest you check the country rules about procedures once the person is elected. I'd like you to provide some examples of sheriffs that did not take the course. Do you honestly think a local county wants to take on the liability of some yahoo running about in a police car stopping people that has no idea what a Miranda warning is or what the parameters of a police chase are? Do you think a small county wants to forgo the funds for policing by not sending the sheriff to the school? I don't think one would see a hick sheriff in the armpit of Virginia firing his weapon at a moving vehicle as was done in episode 5.

Very pleased to see Herr Howard flagrantly breaking Thai law in episode six (13:27 in to the programme). Love to hear his explanation.

Actually, I really wouldn't.

I've only watched this far ... he may break the law again (let's face it, he has before ... on camera).

''DO NOT RESIST US!!!! DO NOT RESIST US!!!!''

''Sorry, mate. I'm deaf, can't hear you and don't speak English anyway ...''

Well done Howard Miller and your crew yet more bad publicity for Thailand what are you going to do next have lunch with Gary Glitter????????? :D

Very pleased to see Herr Howard flagrantly breaking Thai law in episode six (13:27 in to the programme). Love to hear his explanation.

Actually, I really wouldn't.

I've only watched this far ... he may break the law again (let's face it, he has before ... on camera).

''DO NOT RESIST US!!!! DO NOT RESIST US!!!!''

''Sorry, mate. I'm deaf, can't hear you and don't speak English anyway ...''

On a motorbike with out a helmet - Naughty Naughty Howard !....

Perhaps he should be charged and sentenced with community service... :)