Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

One tenth of the entire budget was spent in Thailand.

That sounds like a good mark-up, I am in the wrong business..

Now where can I get myself a decent camera??

The TPV variety show is coming to your screens very soon.. (practice your YMCA moves boys!!)

Edited by taffylee

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video is an accurate portrayal of what is happening to tourists all over Thailand. The scammers are arrogant and untouchable since they pay the police.

Tourists should be nurtured...not abused.

Agree 100%. I remember going on holiday as a "tourist" to many different places and being treated as a welcome guest of a country and made to feel very welcome.

Although living here is ok I am sure if I came as a tourist I would leave with a sour taste in the mouth due to the treatment from locals, officials and the rest.

3rd world country getting worse

BTW - Howard you are doing a great job and are a credit to the expats here in Thailand.

If you want to see a "proper" documentary on Thailand I suggest watching..."Love on Delivery" and the sequel "Ticket to Paradise" by Janus Metz.

You can google or find them on Youtube.

Some more info:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karin-badt/l...i_b_179282.html

Enjoy

RAZZ

If you search Love On Delivery on Youtube you get the Chinese movie Poh Waai Ji Wong which is actually very funny and worth a watch...has English subtitles. The documentaries you're referring to are Thai to Thy and its' sequel Thy to Thailand.

Edited by phuketrex

If you want to see a "proper" documentary on Thailand I suggest watching..."Love on Delivery" and the sequel "Ticket to Paradise" by Janus Metz.

You can google or find them on Youtube.

Some more info:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karin-badt/l...i_b_179282.html

Enjoy

RAZZ

If you search Love On Delivery on Youtube you get the Chinese movie Poh Waai Ji Wong which is actually very funny and worth a watch...has English subtitles. The documentaries you're referring to are Thai to Thy and its' sequel Thy to Thailand.

That's what they're called in English...maybe they changed the titles from the Danish :D:)

Anyway...they're both excellent.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

well, that's tonight's episode past with.

what did we have: theft, muggings, more theft, borderline peadophilia, corruption, a hooker's broken toilet seat issues, a guy running into the sea to avoid a B1000 bar bill etc etc.

paints a pretty picture.

does wonders for the stereotypes too. :)

Why kept it strictly hetero? Or do gays and ladyboys not exist in Thailand? They do and ladyboys are a unique feature of Thailand, so you're dead wrong.

Now, I agree with you the post production of the series certainly wanted it to to stray to a fairly unintelligent and mocking series, but I think they presented the ladyboy bar owner in Chiang Mai quite fairly and let her say her piece. I've never heard of her and I have no interested in sleeping with ladyboys but her bar looked fun! I am not a homophobe and transgenders don't bother me (just not attracted at all) so I would have no problem hanging out at a bar like that. I may see if I can visit it, in fact, next time I go up to Chiang Mai.

Edited by Jimjim

what did we have: theft, muggings, more theft, borderline peadophilia, corruption, a hooker's broken toilet seat issues, a guy running into the sea to avoid a B1000 bar bill etc etc.

paints a pretty picture.

In this episode so little of interest that for entertainment I had to resort to counting the number of times Howard said "Basically..." (6).

Why kept it strictly hetero? Or do gays and ladyboys not exist in Thailand? They do and ladyboys are a unique feature of Thailand, so you're dead wrong.

Now, I agree with you the post production of the series certainly wanted it to to stray to a fairly unintelligent and mocking series, but I think they presented the ladyboy bar owner in Chiang Mai quite fairly and let her say her piece. I've never heard of her and I have no interested in sleeping with ladyboys but her bar looked fun! I am not a homophobe and transgenders don't bother me (just not attracted at all) so I would have no problem hanging out at a bar like that. I may see if I can visit it, in fact, next time I go up to Chiang Mai.

There is a bar in JJ market run by LB that is good fun it...in the daytime they serve coffee and shakes but after 6pm it starts to liven up with lots of trendy gays arriving and some live entertainment... a real piece of Thai culture as everytime i have been there i am the only farang so its not for the tourists....

Uncovering these little gems in a tv series would be worth watching as there are lots of strange things here that is so far from normal for Westerners that it would not be hard to make an entertaining tv show..

I'm sure it has already been said in the previous 70 pages but what i watched could have been shot in any 2 bit tourist country/city where lots of Brits go...Spain/Greece/Eastern Europe etc....

I'm surprised at the fuss its caused...or maybe it hasn't really caused a fuss outside of TV and Phukets Mayors office...

Easily the most damaging episode for Tourism. Bargirl drugs customer and steals his computers. Couple gets ripped off with bill for accomodation. Also a feature on the Scottish woman Lydia mugged in Bangkok and the voice over says she is still in a coma!...so Vera Productions didn't edit this very recently because she died more than 6 weeks ago!

If it's damaging to tell the truth then I'm all for it. Who cares? This series will likely increase tourism, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, and crying shame about the Scottish lady. Horrible story. And you likely point out they should have checked up on it before putting this episode on television.

Edited by Jimjim

I'm having trouble viewing part 4 of episode 7. It says that the video "is not yet processed," and that they are "currently performing site maintenance. Be cool - we'll be back 100% in a bit."

Was there an error uploading it, or is YouTube really performing site maintenance? I was able to watch parts 1-3 without a problem.

Thanks.

-o

I'm having trouble viewing part 4 of episode 7. It says that the video "is not yet processed," and that they are "currently performing site maintenance. Be cool - we'll be back 100% in a bit."

Was there an error uploading it, or is YouTube really performing site maintenance? I was able to watch parts 1-3 without a problem.

Thanks.

-o

Same same for me mate.

Cheers, Rick

If it's damaging to tell the truth then I'm all for it. Who cares? This series will likely increase tourism, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, and crying shame about the Scottish lady. Horrible story. And you likely point out they should have checked up on it before putting this episode on television.

I agree. It adds a little excitement to the trip. Being in a place where they don't like you, you never know what to expect. Anybody can go to Disneyland. No big deal.

I agree. It adds a little excitement to the trip. Being in a place where they don't like you, you never know what to expect. Anybody can go to Disneyland. No big deal.

yup

dont think i would have been put off coming to LOS from any of those scenes, it would have just confirmed what i had known before........

paints a pretty picture.

In this episode so little of interest that for entertainment I had to resort to counting the number of times Howard said "Basically..." (6).

Basically....you've got a really good point there :D

Easily the most damaging episode for Tourism. Bargirl drugs customer and steals his computers. Couple gets ripped off with bill for accomodation. Also a feature on the Scottish woman Lydia mugged in Bangkok and the voice over says she is still in a coma!...so Vera Productions didn't edit this very recently because she died more than 6 weeks ago!

I am not sure the couple did get ripped off. What they did was cut short their pre-booked term and refuse to pay. The reason given was that "they needed 24-hour wi-fi access and it was not there". So instead of waiting for it to be fixed (the owner called an engineer later as mentioned) they had a hissy fit.

I have the greatest respect for the son and husband of the Scottish lady. They were even defending Thailand despite the tragedy.

phuketrex - Vera Productions DID edit this very recently - last week in fact. And certainly way, way after Lydia died. Vera Productions just aren't very good at getting their facts straight. Though the consensus on this forum is that factual accuracy doesn't matter in crappy series like BTIT. So, bringing a lady back from the dead is OK then? And it was a BRITISH man who ripped off the couple - not a Thai. Funny how Vera Productions forgot to mention this. Perhaps the Samui Express was right after all when they screamed "UK CONSPIRACY" on their front page and I have been an unwitting pawn. Or perhaps more likely it used to be some of the cleverest and most skillful people who worked on some of the most downmarket and crowd-pleasing TV programmes - alas, not anymore. Getting a matter of somebody's life and death right is just basic, and common decency. Especially given that Vera is running around the web having evidence of their JJ/Marines jet ski fakery removed.

And here's how Vera faked a rape at the Full Moon Party, but I guess that's fair play too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouaF_9tC5ME

The Original Un-edited JJ Gun Video has been deleted again due to copyright complaint by Vera (this time Oneworld video sharing site, as linked earlier). The others were: YouTube, MetaCafe and Dailymotion. What are they so darned scared of??

But anyway, some Thai guy has now started sharing the JJ Gun Scene Original Un-edited on major Thai language websites. Thai language titles and descriptions have been included. In Thai it explains that director Gavin Hill was not involved with the editing, that was Vera productions job in the UK.

Since there is a good chance that Vera Productions are watching this thread, i've decided not to post a link to one of the websites this time, Let Vera go find the websites themselves.....

Should Vera productions need to translate their ownership of video documents from English into Thai, so as to make any complaint this time, they can send me either a PM or email for a translation quote.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

fter 71 pages i think the maker has a fair opinion of how this show has been received. But just to add my tuppence worth:

Howard, I used to dress up as a cowboy or indian when i was a kid, but it didnt make me one! why did you come to Thailand? and why are you such a Patsy for the Thai police??? Every foreigner in this program who has come across you (and yes some were stupid pissheads) have been cajoled by you to make a financial settlement. Every episode you are constantly saying "i'm trying to help you" How are you helping tourists when for example you negotiate a payment of 1500bht for a toilet seat for a hooker who has probably spent her life shitting and pissing in a hole??? Why didnt you explain (in your oh so perfect Thai!!) that you are a (wannabe policeman) you live in thailand and asking that for a toilet seat is unnacceptable??

Anyone of those tourist volunteers wont argue for a fair deal for the tourist as it will make the police lose face and they may have their nice look at me uniforms taken off them, and probably they will then be just another one of those tourists they were apparantly trying to help.

god help any tourist that has to be helped by those wannabes.

BTIT maker

All you have shown in your series is westerners getting ripped off. Would have liked to have seen you interviewing the local police and asking why (for example) they just stood by as JJ ripped off people, or why a foreigner not paying his bill gets locked up and a thai hooker who admits to stealing is offered the option of paying a fraction of what she has stolen as compensation?

And you have done no follow up. What happened to the pissed dutch guy? or the guy who had 2 computers stolen? did he get them back? did the girl go to jail??

why didnt you do a section with various embassies, show them your footage and ask them why the dont complain through diplomatic channels for the (not all) injustices their fellow countrymen face?

fter 71 pages i think the maker has a fair opinion of how this show has been received. But just to add my tuppence worth:

Howard, I used to dress up as a cowboy or indian when i was a kid, but it didnt make me one! why did you come to Thailand? and why are you such a Patsy for the Thai police??? Every foreigner in this program who has come across you (and yes some were stupid pissheads) have been cajoled by you to make a financial settlement. Every episode you are constantly saying "i'm trying to help you" How are you helping tourists when for example you negotiate a payment of 1500bht for a toilet seat for a hooker who has probably spent her life shitting and pissing in a hole??? Why didnt you explain (in your oh so perfect Thai!!) that you are a (wannabe policeman) you live in thailand and asking that for a toilet seat is unnacceptable??

Anyone of those tourist volunteers wont argue for a fair deal for the tourist as it will make the police lose face and they may have their nice look at me uniforms taken off them, and probably they will then be just another one of those tourists they were apparantly trying to help.

god help any tourist that has to be helped by those wannabes.

BTIT maker

All you have shown in your series is westerners getting ripped off. Would have liked to have seen you interviewing the local police and asking why (for example) they just stood by as JJ ripped off people, or why a foreigner not paying his bill gets locked up and a thai hooker who admits to stealing is offered the option of paying a fraction of what she has stolen as compensation?

And you have done no follow up. What happened to the pissed dutch guy? or the guy who had 2 computers stolen? did he get them back? did the girl go to jail??

why didnt you do a section with various embassies, show them your footage and ask them why the dont complain through diplomatic channels for the (not all) injustices their fellow countrymen face?

whistleblower -

1. What has been shown in the series doesn't necessarily reflect the entirety of what was shot for the series. You're seeing eight one hour episodes edited down from 200+ hours of material. What is taped and what is shown, and how it's portrayed, are two VERY different things. And I've had no involvement in the editing of the programmes.

2. The foreigner who didn't pay his bill in Ep. 7 - at least the one when I was present and filming in the Walking Street rather than at Soi 9 police station - was not locked up. That's because I paid his bar bill for him - 900 Baht. Because the bar was, apparently, intent on charging the waitress who was crying and was going to have to pay it if he didn't, out of her wages. OK, I'm a sucker but otherwise a down and out old bloke was going to the slammer and a young girl was going to have to find cash that goes a long way in Isan. It was only 900 Baht. The pissed Dutch guy went on his way.

3. These are all matters for the Thai Tourist Police and Thai Police. This was an "observational, fly-on-the-wall" series. I think most viewers can read between the lines - presented with the facts, if they're allowed to be - i.e. without distortion/fabrication by Vera Productions.

4. We might have done some follow up, but Vera Productions really wasn't interested. The money had run out and Virgin Media had seriously upset the Thai authorities, even before the JJ stuff, with the title of the series - from 'Thai Cops' changed last minute to BTI(T)T. So, filming was over. Permissions were pulled.

5. Have you tried ringing up an Embassy, and telling them you've got footage which you'd like them to comment on, thereby upsetting their hosts? Best of luck with that. And in any case that's a different programme - a programme that doesn't get made anymore.

6. In the case of the Royal Marines, as I've already stated, the police weren't brought to the repair yard until it was all over. In terms of JJ's dealing with the American Marines - which hasn't made it into the series yet (and probably never will, along with the jet ski operator in Samui) - JJ was charging for damage he alleged had been done to his jet ski and for which the American Marine had apologised - profusely, even to the point of bowing Japanese-style. So, was this a police matter? Man alleges his jet ski damaged, other man says he did it, both haggle over repair costs. Certainly the Phuket police were present but negotiations were amicable.

whistleblower - the stories, as such, are there for you to make up your own mind about, and that's why I'm arguing they should be given a fair and accurate representation.

B&Q (UK) does a toilet seat for 8.98 GBP

Howard's price 1500 THB (30 GBP)

Unless seedy short time rooms have gold taps, marble floors and the toilet seat needed to match the overal superior decor of the place.

Great bargaining powers, I just can't wait to be helped by these guys..

She would have settled for 200 baht, she was scamming anyway..

Edited by taffylee

what is taped, what is shown and how its portrayed are 2 different things??? err 3 I think.

No i havent tried phoning the Embassy like you said, but i also dont have the platform/clout of being a journalist with a series on tv.

you could have grilled good old robocop (howard) as to why he always negotiated on the side of the thais. After all the show always says that these (Judge Dreads) have been drafted in to help the tourists. Were these volunteers warned before shooting by the (real?) cops to show that all the problems were Farang initiated or they would lose their jobs?

I liked the bit when one of the volunteers in Pattaya said 'it has been known for one or two women to ply their trade here" a classic in Pattaya.

Also when the middle eastern guy who thought he had his phone stolen in mcdonalds was proved wrong, why didnt they continue to view the tape and find out what happened to it??