Peter Reid, Quit As Thai Coach Or What?

beano2274

Does anyone know if he has quit or what?

Saw him months ago at a Hotel in Bangkok with the National Team, seemed a great friendly atmosphere, and the guys seemed to be enjoying working with him and the others.

Heard that he might be going to Stoke, what's this all about!!!

If so then another job for a farang is on offer. WP and Visa taken care of

Saw him months ago at a Hotel in Bangkok with the National Team, seemed a great friendly atmosphere, and the guys seemed to be enjoying working with him and the others.

Can't see him going to Stoke as Tony Pulis is doing an excellent job there. As far as I know he is still with Thailand and I also know he likes it here.

I've heard Mr Singh is available and he has been running a team on Samui :)

I've heard Mr Singh is available and he has been running a team on Samui :)

It's Sir Mr Singh to you Conn... :D

I'd be surprised that he would be quiting the Thai job to take a backroom post, but stranger things have happened. Played against him about a month ago in a Vets match, seems like he is enjoying it in Thailand - but don't think he's to impressed with the training facilities that he gets.

I always wondered in the past why someone wanted that job (Thai coach).

I guess some issues have been dealt with from the past.

I remember (not that many years ago) the coach was not in charge of picking the team.

To make the national matches more tv viewer friendly, they showed the half time pep talk on television!!

I wish I could see the expression on my face when I saw that the first time.

By the way, did they go through with 2 competing top leagues in Thailand?

If yes, from which league do they pick the players?

I guess the answer of my first question is.......money.

There's only one league now, from what I understand, the Thailand Premier League. I believe they combined and now there are two main divisions.

Ok, just checked and the Thai Premier League combined with the Provincial League 2 years back of which Chonburi FC was a part and now you see them as one of the top teams in the Thai Premier League, so there's just one league to compete with. Relegation goes to the Thailand Division 1 League.

So, they pick the teams from Thai players, no matter what league they play in, really. There are a few national team players out of Thailand at the moment such as Switzerland (2nd division, though), Vietnam, Singapore and Australia.

Edited by Jimjim

I'm going to get in there too SRS..... :)

Currently there are 16 teams in the Thai Premier League - 16 in Division 1 - about 45 teams in Division 2 (5 regional leagues)

The Thai national team are made up about 90% players from the Thai Premier league, the other 10% play in the Vietnamese League, Swiss League and Australian League - this was the last squad - http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...le&Id=79394

also more info on thai football - www.thaileaguefootball.com

Sorry we took the coach boys . . . :)

He's doing a good job by all accounts for us so far.

. . . although I do hear the minister of FAT director of miscommunications (worawi) is coming out with some very confusing statements about if he's left or not (even though he's working for Stoke and running the training on a daily basis)

That quote is from the miscommunication director Worawi the very same person who said he isn't taking the role as Assistant manager at Stoke and is just helping his friend out. This was following his appearance on MOTD in the stands with Gerry Francis.

Now his miscommuncations are he's had a meeting with Reid but still thinks he coming back to prepare the team for a game against Singapore . . . however he doesn't actually know if he is or if he's doing a dual role - must of been some meeting! Probably sat there with fingers in his ears going 'la la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa not listening . . . '

I remember (not that many years ago) the coach was not in charge of picking the team.

To make the national matches more tv viewer friendly, they showed the half time pep talk on television!!

I like the idea of Peter Reids half-time pep talk being broadcast!!! would they have someone to translate scouse to english then another person translate english to thai?

I would be really surprised if he left Thailand just like that. If he does leave my only guess is that he got fed up with Thai management style. His goal in his time in Thailand was to have a shot at 2014 world cup. This is a video of an interview with him just before the Liverpool game, he seemed to be right into the grass roots thing and the local league -

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThaiLeagueFoot.../11/8QUb6jVdGO4

What Thailand need to do is pay the very big money and get somebody very good. Look at Ireland paying Trap one million euros a year, we are doing better. Look at Capello with Engerlund. He ain't doing it for free.

But they are doing well.

Thailand had an ok group with Bahrain and Oman. Should have finished second behind Japan.

International football is all about the manager.

I like the idea of Peter Reids half-time pep talk being broadcast!!! would they have someone to translate scouse to english then another person translate english to thai?

Interesting mind game.

He would know that the opposition would watch it on tv.

So he would tell the Thai players that they should pay no attention to what he says (as they probably do anyway), because he knows that the other team would know his tactics.

But the other team also know that he knows that they know his tactics.

Or do they?

So, who know exacty what he is thinking?

Is he staying or going?

:)

Thai FA sacks Reid

Thailand's national football coach Peter Reid is sacked after he refused to return to Thailand to resume his work, siamsport online reported Wednesday.

Reid, a former Sunderland manager, is tipped to return to the English Premier League to take a position of the assistant manager of Stoke City.

The online reported that the Football Association of Thailand (FAT)'s president Worawi Makudi lost his patience with Reid who went to England recently and refused to return to Thailand to resume the job.

Therefore, FAT decided to sack him and the decision will take effect immediately.

Worawi found Reid's refusal unacceptable since he had promised to return to Thailand to resume the job during a meeting with Worawi in Manchester, England recently.

Reid's assistant, Steve Darby, is appointed as caretaker coach.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/09

FAT CONTROLLER WANTS ANSWERS

Thailand demand commitment from Reid

September 9, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Football Association of Thailand president Worawi Makudi has demanded a clear answer from Peter Reid regarding his future after the national team coach asked to remain with Stoke City for a further two weeks.

Reid appeared to be ending his one-year tenure as Thailand coach to join Stoke as Tony Pulis' number two.

But, after Reid and FAT supremo Makudi met in Manchester two week ago, the former Sunderland and Manchester City coach confirmed he would return to Thailand after insisting he was only helping close friend Pulis on a short-term, temporary basis.

Reid, though, has now asked to remain at the Britannia Stadium for a further two weeks, a move which has angered Makudi, who was in England as a guest of the Football Association.

"Peter told me that the Thai national team will be idle until November when they face Singapore home and away in the Asian Cup qualifying round. So he asked for permission to work with Pulis for another two weeks," Makudi told the Bangkok Post.

"I told him that this would mean he did not honour the promise he made at the Manchester restaurant. The FAT and the Thai fans want him to come back.

"I want a clear-cut answer. He cannot do two jobs at the same time. He must be Thailand's coach on a full-time basis."

Thailand are set to resume their Asian Cup qualifying campaign against Singapore on November 14 before playing the return fixture four days later in Bangkok.

So is he sacked or not? :)

FAT CONTROLLER WANTS ANSWERS

Thailand demand commitment from Reid

September 9, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Football Association of Thailand president Worawi Makudi has demanded a clear answer from Peter Reid regarding his future after the national team coach asked to remain with Stoke City for a further two weeks.

Reid appeared to be ending his one-year tenure as Thailand coach to join Stoke as Tony Pulis' number two.

But, after Reid and FAT supremo Makudi met in Manchester two week ago, the former Sunderland and Manchester City coach confirmed he would return to Thailand after insisting he was only helping close friend Pulis on a short-term, temporary basis.

Reid, though, has now asked to remain at the Britannia Stadium for a further two weeks, a move which has angered Makudi, who was in England as a guest of the Football Association.

"Peter told me that the Thai national team will be idle until November when they face Singapore home and away in the Asian Cup qualifying round. So he asked for permission to work with Pulis for another two weeks," Makudi told the Bangkok Post.

"I told him that this would mean he did not honour the promise he made at the Manchester restaurant. The FAT and the Thai fans want him to come back.

"I want a clear-cut answer. He cannot do two jobs at the same time. He must be Thailand's coach on a full-time basis."

Thailand are set to resume their Asian Cup qualifying campaign against Singapore on November 14 before playing the return fixture four days later in Bangkok.

So is he sacked or not? :)

The FAT and the Thai fans want him to come back.

Well I just finished watching the Thai sports news about 30 minutes ago, wont be missed seemed to be the order of the day.

Good riddance another washed up farang never has been taking money under false pretences.

Is Steve Coppell aware of a vacancy, they tell me he has a penchant for certain things Thai.