Tuning Of A Tiger Boxer 250rs

c64

C64. As far as i'm aware the Tiger 250 (232) is at the limit of the bore size already. You could possibly get a bit more from a change in the carb but good luck trying to find a shop than can do it. When did you buy yours. the later ones have a better down pipe, you can tell because the later ones have a kind of 1 into 2 into 1 chamber just under the engine. It improves the midrange.

You could always just get a 2nd hand Yamaha srx400 engine and slip it in there. Looks like it could maybe fit with a bit of work.

Allan

C64. As far as i'm aware the Tiger 250 (232) is at the limit of the bore size already. You could possibly get a bit more from a change in the carb but good luck trying to find a shop than can do it. When did you buy yours. the later ones have a better down pipe, you can tell because the later ones have a kind of 1 into 2 into 1 chamber just under the engine. It improves the midrange.

You could always just get a 2nd hand Yamaha srx400 engine and slip it in there. Looks like it could maybe fit with a bit of work.

Allan

Thanks Allan for your time

I didn't know it was on it's limits regarding the bore but have to admit that I was wondering why it was sold as a 250 but the engine was far away from 250cc.

I bought a week ago but it doesn't have the chamber system mounted under the engine (can not tell how long the bike has ben sitting in the shop).

Thanks for the tip regarding the srx engine. Seems like I will have to investigate further.

Regards

Allan

Thanks Allan for your time

I didn't know it was on it's limits regarding the bore but have to admit that I was wondering why it was sold as a 250 but the engine was far away from 250cc.

I bought a week ago but it doesn't have the chamber system mounted under the engine (can not tell how long the bike has ben sitting in the shop).

Thanks for the tip regarding the srx engine. Seems like I will have to investigate further.

Regards

The boxer is a 232cc . i am happy with the engine performance of it actually

tuning the bike , i am no mechanic so i don't know the possibilities there really. But what i done one my boxer is another sprocket on the back to take the strain from the engine when you cruise at higher speeds over distance. Another thing that i wish to have is a 6th gear...i think tiger got the message and is looking into this...

mbox

This is the exhaust i was on about. just after the bend it flares in two then back to one. the old style downpipe is one single pipe. If yours has the old one ask Khun Pariya (English speaking Tiger Rep) if Tiger will update it. I would think that would not be a problem. They may want to update the speedo for you as well. There have been a fair few changes and amendments since they 1st came out. Allan

This is the exhaust i was on about. just after the bend it flares in two then back to one. the old style downpipe is one single pipe. If yours has the old one ask Khun Pariya (English speaking Tiger Rep) if Tiger will update it. I would think that would not be a problem. They may want to update the speedo for you as well. There have been a fair few changes and amendments since they 1st came out. Allan

Yep, I got the old style exhaust system. Don't have that one that shows on your picture.

Regards

If you think about engine tuning, and the engine is equipped with a carburetor, the first thing you need to get is time a lot of free time. Sure you can shorten this time to rent “time” on a dyno station...again it is all about time...

You need this time to systematical test carburetor settings and test idle, top and average power feel. It sounds simple but it is not... To do this scientific it can take weeks to get it perfect. You need to keep all findings in a database, spreadsheet so you can easily compare.

Most people who ask me to improve power to the engine, did nothing to try to tune or look into the science (yes people it is a science) of tuning the engine. They all go out and buy a set of, sometimes worthless bore-ups, which improve the thirst of the engine and improvement is compared to the cost limited... Basic tuning is not done by modifying the engine to be a different engine, tuning is a word what I will use for people who love the engine and just belief it can do better.

For example I like to recall the standard 2-stroke Kreidler KS50 engine which had little mechanical modifications still holds the world speed record to speed and combustion displacement. They where capable to get this 50cc engine up to 225km/h (140mp/h) on the mile. They even hold the world record of 10km from standing start....doing almost 190km/h (112mp/h).

Yes now-a-day people with combustion engines do 400mp/h on a mile, but compare this numbers of almost 4 liter, V-12 machines with the 50cc Kreidler, 2-stroke, single cylinder from a time that people still loved the engine and had time...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Some people who looked at the Thai cylinder said it is capable of another 2 millimeter, making it a 246.3cc engine. This will pass the general standard of safety. But then modification of a Honda CBR-150R to 198cc makes the actual cylinder thickness much less at much higher compression ratio..

The difference in the Tiger Boxer 200 R and Boxer 250 Rs is not done by increasing the bore, so, why would it be a problem... I can actual answer this myself, increasing the 200cc engine without modifying the stroke would "tip" the engine over the performance edge, and will perform less to Tiger set standard. Which is comfort and performance... For that the 250 RS engine does that... it performs very very well...

Basically lets do a test, who has a KLX250 or D-tracker and do better on fuel and performance.. I need to agree that a Kawasaki Ninja 250R is the better machine. But the we need to understand the Kawa 250 Ninja costs twice as much and is surely not twice the fun. Buying two Tiger's Boxer 250 RS will be much more fun then one Kawasaki Ninja 250R...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Try this do 80 kilometers on a Kawasaki Ninja 250R with you buddy on the back or do, 80km with your buddy on his own motorcycle. And do this with the same cost, and actual... if touring is the focus you cannot do wrong.. cost function and performance...

Richard. I'm a stingy bugger. My mate can buy his own bloody bike.

While your on. If i have the part number can you order suzuki parts for big bikes for delivery in Thailand. Suzuki part 61372-38A00

Thanks Allan

Yes I can actual, the part is set to be domestic produced withing a few weeks, can you clarify the the part destination in my data base part 08319-21168 is a little bolt used in the rear suspension of a early Suzuki 800cc Intruder... Something any Kawasaki dealer would be able to supply you with....????

Sorry I seem to messed up, it seems that the server remembers the last request...

Still after using another search I end up at the same swing arm, different part, it now seems you looking for some sort a seal in a Suzuki 800 Drive shaft?

Part 12 should be the item you looking for.... Please confirm?

post-12170-1251474576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

Yes thats the part. also need a cheap YB16 BA Battery and YSS RE302-360T-02 or RZ302-360TRL-02 360mm (OR similar) top and bottom eye 14x20.

OOPs ...Sorry to the OP for hijacking ya thread. will continue in Pm

Edited by thaicbr

Some people who looked at the Thai cylinder said it is capable of another 2 millimeter, making it a 246.3cc engine. This will pass the general standard of safety. But then modification of a Honda CBR-150R to 198cc makes the actual cylinder thickness much less at much higher compression ratio..

The difference in the Tiger Boxer 200 R and Boxer 250 Rs is not done by increasing the bore, so, why would it be a problem... I can actual answer this myself, increasing the 200cc engine without modifying the stroke would "tip" the engine over the performance edge, and will perform less to Tiger set standard. Which is comfort and performance... For that the 250 RS engine does that... it performs very very well...

Mmmm. Thanks for your reply Richard. It's a great all rounder. It certainly has the looks and handles quite well.

"Tip the engine over the performance edge"? What do you mean? Like it won't have torque in the lower end rev scale or it doesn't comply with the policies from the manufacturer?

I don't use the Boxer as a daily commuter vehicle - just have it for fun so if it's possible, I want a little more power from it :-)

Btw are you familiar with the carb setup on it? I'm quite desperate for a proper setup and going to the dealer won't be too fruitful due to the language thingy. I don't have too much time to tamper around with the carb myself (and it's 15 years since the last time).

With the original setup it had decent punch and power but drank a tank of gas every 90 clicks and was totally sooted down (so badly that the spark plug had to be changed).

I assume that the number stamped on the jet is the actual flow rate. Changed over to a Honda Jet #112 and the fuel consumption went down drastically but lacking power and has a "dead spot" on the throttle. Now it barely pushes 130.

The original jet was stamped "132" on. Any good suggestions about what jet to use and the needle position?

Edited by c64

Yes thats the part. also need a cheap YB16 BA Battery and YSS RE302-360T-02 or RZ302-360TRL-02 360mm (OR similar) top and bottom eye 14x20.

OOPs ...Sorry to the OP for hijacking ya thread. will continue in Pm

;-)

No problem. I look at it as educational