Should I Trust Dhl With A Laptop?

mnbcm

I need to get a laptop to Bangkok. Would you send a laptop in it's nice original packaging through DHL? Any idea what it costs to send 4.5kg? I can't get a quote from DHL FedEx or UPS online. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow; just thought I'd get some opinions before I go in.

Yeah I would trust them 100%. Used them loads of times for legal docs to and from the UK, never a problem.

Cost depends on your urgency, never sent anything domestically but I would guess your parcel would be somewhere from 1,000 to 1,500 baht

Yeah I would trust them 100%. Used them loads of times for legal docs to and from the UK, never a problem.

Cost depends on your urgency, never sent anything domestically but I would guess your parcel would be somewhere from 1,000 to 1,500 baht

Hmmmm, train ride sounds cheaper and more fun. :)

Usually ok, but make sure you have sufficient insurance.

Also, if any sensitive data on the hard drive, encrypt it.

Regards

Good advice, and to add:

Make sure you pack it well with plenty of padding. I`ve seen the way those delivery guys throw these things around.

I need to get a laptop to Bangkok. Would you send a laptop in it's nice original packaging through DHL? Any idea what it costs to send 4.5kg? I can't get a quote from DHL FedEx or UPS online. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow; just thought I'd get some opinions before I go in.

Put BIOS and SYSTEM passwords on the laptop (they are both located in the BIOS setup page), and you can also use password for the hard drive also. They are harder to crack than the desk top.

> Yeah I would trust them 100%. Used them loads of times for legal docs to and from the UK, never a problem.

Legal docs don't have LCD screens that can crack. :)

And legal docs don't have import duty, and most courier companies are in cohorts with corrupt customs officials and will rip you a new ####### on duty and tax. (This is the pessimistic view. The optimistic view is that they're not actively in on it but just don't give a shit on what charges customs feel they want to add, still ripping you a new #######.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> Yeah I would trust them 100%. Used them loads of times for legal docs to and from the UK, never a problem.

Legal docs don't have LCD screens that can crack. :)

And legal docs don't have import duty, and most courier companies are in cohorts with corrupt customs officials and will rip you a new ####### on duty and tax. (This is the pessimistic view. The optimistic view is that they're not actively in on it but just don't give a shit on what charges customs feel they want to add, still ripping you a new #######.)

That's what I was thinking. Hmmph. You're worried about the shipping charge? Wait until they nail you for the customs on that thing. I am pretty sure UPS/DHL/FedEx get a cut of what they assess. A friend sent me a $12US toy stuffed rabbit by FedEx as a joke. It was no joke; they assessed $45US customs duty and back-charged it to my friend's account. I wouldn't use any of them for shipping anything INTO Thailands (except documents). Good luck!!!

Is there currently any problems getting books via amazon to chiang mai?

No, because:

- Books are tax exempt

- You don't have to ship them with DHL/FedEx and all those guys. You ship them regular airmai, and you make sure to include some text that says "BOOKS / PRINTED MATTER - NOT FOR RESALE - NO COMMERCIAL VALUE"

(Amazon allows you to enter some shipping notes, use that to your advantage)