Shocking Double Pricing For Foreigners

sbk

so, I go online to book some train tickets, through the website for people booking from overseas and the prices seem quite expensive. So, a friend told me about a website for locals and a ticket to the same destination is half price. Half price.

I was amazed that such a blatant rip off of tourists is allowed.

Britrail should be boycotted :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, life is not fair...get used to it.

J.

what's the point of that comment. if we all took that attitude, we'd all be living as serfs.

The point of the comment is: There is no one going to referee your life to ensure that you get a fair deal. It is up to the individual to look out for him/her self.

The point is not to live in serfdom, but to live your own life. Collective action leads to collective manipulation.

J.

So, life is not fair...get used to it.

J.

what's the point of that comment. if we all took that attitude, we'd all be living as serfs.

The point of the comment is: There is no one going to referee your life to ensure that you get a fair deal. It is up to the individual to look out for him/her self.

The point is not to live in serfdom, but to live your own life. Collective action leads to collective manipulation.

J.

Could you expand on the last line?

If it weren't for collective action, we wouldn't have many of the things we have today.

Instead of being a defense of Thailand's double pricing, it is a searing indictment. Brit Rail offers lower fares to international visitors. When is the last time Thailand's railways did that? On the contrary, they charge more.

The different pricing associated with various British Rail passes are due to their intended use.

Please note the following statement I highlighted a point the state railways of Thailand misses;

BritRail Passes and Point to Point Tickets are specifically designed to help promote in-bound tourism to the UK. As a result, the BritRail product line is not available to residents of the UK.

I think you are confused as to the types of passes that charge more for locals. The use is completely different than it is for a tourist. That is why British Rail chases off the residents with the following statement

BritRail Passes and Tickets are designed for international guests to Britain and cannot be purchased upon arrival in Britain or by residents of the UK. If you are residing in the UK, please consult the various train operating companies domestically or use the Trainline web site link below.

:D:)

redfaces indeed..........

Edited by geriatrickid

Nope

I looked at point to point tickets on Britrail and the price was double that of raileasy

Britrail London to York for $149 US one way

raileasy London to York for £28.50 one way ($46 US)

Only difference is on the Britrail ticket I can hop off the train and get back on if I want.

The rail passes themselves aren't that great of a deal if you aren't travelling whip speed through the country either.

I plan on taking some time, so 3 days of travel within Britain for $269 US is not a deal.

All you have to do is show proof of residency and you will be charged the same as a Thai.

Not so Im afraid.... me, wife, nanny and 3 kids..BKK-Cha-am Thais go free....I could prove residency but was still asked to pay 50 Baht....so, I then paid for a taxi to Sai Tai terminal and also bus fares to Cha am at a much larger cost than the 50 Baht....not cutting my nose to spite my face, I will not be treated that way.......this thread is about train fares in the U.K. anyway....

I wouldnt bother booking a ticket...the rail network in the U.K. is in a mess, worse that it was 100 years ago......if you book your ticket you will probably find the train is delayed by about 3 hours or even worse...cancelled.....best just pay at the counter same as anyone else and then you wont be charged any differently either....

I wouldnt bother booking a ticket...the rail network in the U.K. is in a mess, worse that it was 100 years ago......if you book your ticket you will probably find the train is delayed by about 3 hours or even worse...cancelled.....best just pay at the counter same as anyone else and then you wont be charged any differently either....

Disagree completely. When I go back to the UK I book a ticket at least 24 hrs in advance from London Paddington to Exeter for £22, on the one occassion I didn't book and payed at the counter it was £58.

Uk rail isn't that bad, the main problem is there are about 12 different fares for each journey, so do some research and book 24 hrs in advance.

The buses are bad - overcrowded but a bit cheaper than the train.

Last time I went I rented a car for a week, only about £200 and alot more convenient (stay on the left - same same Thailand) :)

Cheers for the advice QED, while my plans are fluid I can manage booking 24 hours in advance :)

And I've been in Thailand for 20 years. I look the wrong way crossing the street in the US now :D

Hows the buses Patin? I don't mind taking the bus, its not like places are that far apart :)

Hi SBK, last time I went back to the UK last December I used Megabus, website is megabus dot com, they were cheap and I booked in advance and got a ticket from London-Sheffield for 1 pound 50p plus a 50 p booking fee, but I did book over a month in advance. The service was good and left/arrived on time.