Greek Food

pm1803

hi all, saw the piece online about greek food in pattaya, being a brit always ate a lot of greek and indian food back home, went last night to try it out, only been open a few days so still up in the air a bit, full of friendly greek guys, only serving souvlaka, hope thats spelt right, which is the greek kebab, with pitta bread, salad and a load of fries, 69 baht, other food on the menu, plus thai for the good lady

was very good, he is hoping to extend the menu over the coming weeks and according to demand, got some greek feta cheese coming next week for the greek salad, not thai feta, and hopes to extend the menu as he sources stuff

very nice experience, very friendly, hope its successful., i intend to go every week

down the bottom of soi 21 off 3rd road, almost to soi bukaow, on the right, its called the halfway inn

I hope they can do moussaka and taramasalata.

I would do anything for a real Greek night club with major focus on food and international performers. My best memory's as a 22 year old were in Greek night clubs/ restaurants in Sydney and Melbourne ( mum dated a wealthy one) ahhh the sounds of smashing plates... maybe next visa run to Greece!!!

i asked the same thing, apparently taramasalata is unlikely, cant get the ingredients, but he is looking for good yogurt for tzatziki at the moment

I find that hard to believe. Pink fish eggs are available at Central and other places so I assume there is a wholesale source. What else is there to it, sometimes potatoes, sometimes stale bread, olive oil, garlic.

You can get moussaka in the Turkish restaurant at the side of Carrefour.

My favorite Greek disk is a simple Gyro sandwich. I really miss those...........

JR,

I, too, am a Gyros lover from way back (funny you should mention it), so recently I undertook to see if I could make my own! I'm always trying to "beat the system" around here and try to find foods I can cook myself if I can't find 'em here like I used to do at home... I knew Foodmart/Jomtien has frozen ground lamb all the time, so I figured after that the rest might be possible... and it was. I don't know if you like to cook, but here is my recipe for PATTAYA GYROS W/TZATZIKI SAUCE- all ingredients were found locally... and we thought it was easy & delicious:

TZATZIKI SAUCE

GYROS

• 1/2 lb Ground lamb
  • 1/2 lb Ground beef
  • 2 slices of Bread (I used wheat)
  • 2 tb Fresh parsley; chopped
  • 5 Garlic clove; minced
  • 1 ts Salt
  • 1/2 ts Ground Pepper
  • 1/2 ts Ground Oregano
  • 3/4 ts Ground Cumin
  • 3/4 ts Ground Rosemary
  • 1 Egg; beaten

• Pita-bread rounds
  • Chopped Green onions
  • Chopped Greek, green or black olives
  • Chopped tomatoes
  • Sliced avocado

TZATZIKI SAUCE-

Combine oil, vinegar, sugar and salt until smooth and thickened. (Blender best, wisk ok) Pour sauce into a bowl. Stir in yogurt, garlic, dill & parsley. Tastes best after it all sita together for a few hours.

GYROS-

Combine lamb and beef in a medium bowl. Tear bread slices in pieces. Place in a blender or food processor. Process to uniform crumbs. Add bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and rosemary to meat mixture. Add egg and stir to combine entire meat mixture. [/size]

Preheat oven to 375~. Form meat into logs or oval patties, about 4" long. Bake until brown. Warm pita bread in oven as meat finishes cooking.

After meat cools a while, roll into pita bread to make Gyros sandwich. Add: Tzatziki sauce, sliced scallions, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, avocado...!

Edited by Michaelaway

You can get moussaka in the Turkish restaurant at the side of Carrefour.

My favorite Greek disk is a simple Gyro sandwich. I really miss those...........

JR,

I, too, am a Gyros lover from way back (funny you should mention it), so recently I undertook to see if I could make my own! I'm always trying to "beat the system" around here and try to find foods I can cook myself if I can't find 'em here like I used to do at home... I knew Foodmart/Jomtien has frozen ground lamb all the time, so I figured after that the rest might be possible... and it was. I don't know if you like to cook, but here is my recipe for PATTAYA GYROS W/TZATZIKI SAUCE- all ingredients were found locally... and we thought it was easy & delicious:

TZATZIKI SAUCE

GYROS

• 1/2 lb Ground lamb
  • 1/2 lb Ground beef
  • 2 slices of Bread (I used wheat)
  • 2 tb Fresh parsley; chopped
  • 5 Garlic clove; minced
  • 1 ts Salt
  • 1/2 ts Ground Pepper
  • 1/2 ts Ground Oregano
  • 3/4 ts Ground Cumin
  • 3/4 ts Ground Rosemary
  • 1 Egg; beaten

• Pita-bread rounds
  • Chopped Green onions
  • Chopped Greek, green or black olives
  • Chopped tomatoes
  • Sliced avocado

TZATZIKI SAUCE-

Combine oil, vinegar, sugar and salt until smooth and thickened. (Blender best, wisk ok) Pour sauce into a bowl. Stir in yogurt, garlic, dill & parsley. Tastes best after it all sita together for a few hours.

GYROS-

Combine lamb and beef in a medium bowl. Tear bread slices in pieces. Place in a blender or food processor. Process to uniform crumbs. Add bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and rosemary to meat mixture. Add egg and stir to combine entire meat mixture. [/size]

Preheat oven to 375~. Form meat into logs or oval patties, about 4" long. Bake until brown. Warm pita bread in oven as meat finishes cooking.

After meat cools a while, roll into pita bread to make Gyros sandwich. Add: Tzatziki sauce, sliced scallions, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, avocado...!

Thanks for that...........I don't think I am capable of making it, but maybe the owner of the new Greek place will see this post and consider making it using local ingredients (did not know you could find ground lamb in Thailand..........also, I am assuming you are not using Thai beef).

Here is a picture of what I like..........the Greek bread is really special and beats the hel_l out of pita bread:

post-36006-1251369786_thumb.png

The Pattaya Gyros recipe is not expensive and really easy to make, anyone can put the ingredients together.

We have a large toaster oven (from Power Buy at Tukkom), and cooking with it makes the meat come out delicious. Ground lamb (frozen) available nearly every day at Foodmart/Jomtien, as well as several other supermarkets.

Re; ground beef- I really like the high-end ground beef at Villa Market (ground round, I think)... excellent, or sometimes I buy the frozen hambuger patties at Friendship. I don't know what cut of beef they use, but to me, it tastes better than their by-the-kilo ground beef.

Pita bread (been to Greece, but can't remember the difference between Greek and pita bread, sorry) is available every day at Friendship (large, FRESH round pockets) and at Villa Mkt (small, frozen round pockets). They don't keep well, here in the humidity, so we keep them in the chiller (can freeze, too) section of our frig, and pop into the oven for a brief warm-up before eating. Good luck, friend!

hi all, saw the piece online about greek food in pattaya, being a brit always ate a lot of greek and indian food back home, went last night to try it out, only been open a few days so still up in the air a bit, full of friendly greek guys, only serving souvlaka, hope thats spelt right, which is the greek kebab, with pitta bread, salad and a load of fries, 69 baht, other food on the menu, plus thai for the good lady

was very good, he is hoping to extend the menu over the coming weeks and according to demand, got some greek feta cheese coming next week for the greek salad, not thai feta, and hopes to extend the menu as he sources stuff

very nice experience, very friendly, hope its successful., i intend to go every week

down the bottom of soi 21 off 3rd road, almost to soi bukaow, on the right, its called the halfway inn

Went there today. Yes they are very friendly but the souvlaki (sp?) is so-so. No yogurt dressing, just ketchup, was a big disappointment for me. "a load of fries" - I didn't count them but I don't think there were more than the usual 10-15 you get here. Also it's 89 baht.

I wasn't too impressed but to be fair I will go back in a month or so when they hopefully have the kitchen setup right and give it another chance :)

Edited by Phil Conners

Went there today. Yes they are very friendly but the souvlaki (sp?) is so-so. No yogurt dressing, just ketchup, was a big disappointment for me. "a load of fries" - I didn't count them but I don't think there were more than the usual 10-15 you get here. Also it's 89 baht.

I wasn't too impressed but to be fair I will go back in a month or so when they hopefully have the kitchen setup right and give it another chance :D

how can they call it a souvlaki without the sour yoghurt dressing! :)

I have seen that Turkish restaurant near Carrefour and have often thought about going in there for a bite.

Are there any reviews on it in this forum?

I like Turkish food :D

I wasn't too impressed but to be fair I will go back in a month or so when they hopefully have the kitchen setup right and give it another chance :)

Thanks for the feedback, I intend to give this place a go at the weekend.

I have seen that Turkish restaurant near Carrefour and have often thought about going in there for a bite.

I like Turkish food :)

That Turkish Place is good, albeit a bit pricey. Been there once for lunch and would go back.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't too impressed but to be fair I will go back in a month or so when they hopefully have the kitchen setup right and give it another chance :D

how can they call it a souvlaki without the sour yoghurt dressing! :)

I like Turkish food :D

I give the place a clear thumbs-up. Excellent food and quality. Will return.

Recommended!

• 2 years later...