What Would Be An Ideal Pet For Chiang Mai

IanForbes

I thought about dogs but you've got to feed them and they don't take well to being left all the time. Besides that, some bark too much and some aren't friendly...

Ugly_dog.jpg

And some won't stop mooching food off yor table.

Dalmation.sized.jpg

Cats are cute when they are small...

Baby_tiger.sized.jpg

But then they grow up and take over your favorite sofa

e_mail.sized.jpg

I thought of something exotic like a lizard...

Monitor_lizard_2.jpg

Or even a crocodile that could help get rid of the excess street dogs that bark all night..

Ian_and_boon_with_crocs.jpg

But then they grow up and there is that feeding problem again...

Crocodile_trainer.jpg

A pet cobra might be a good idea. I would keep down the rat population, and it would prevent breakins, but the cleaning lady wouldn't like it.

Cobra_011.jpg

A rooster might be a good idea because then I wouldn't need an alarm clock. And I could have him for dinner if he became a nuisance.

Rooster.sized.jpg

Women are too high maintenance and Elephants are too large for an appartment

Bull_elephant_1.sized.jpg

So maybe I'll just stick with the critters who already call my room home...

Geko_1.jpg

Lizard_head_1.sized.jpg

What do you folks like for pets? I know Nienke likes her big dogs and Eek likes her cats, but does anybody have anything exotic?

As you've already guessed, with my traveling lifestyle, I don't have time for a pet. I was raised with dogs and love them, but they can't be taken everywhere and leaving them behind is cruel.

Right now I've got the ideal pet that adopted me. It arrived a couple years ago and took up residence in one of my garden ponds. It recognizes me and allows me to come very close. Occasionally, I pick him up and move him to one of the other ponds while I do cleanup maintenance. In the winter when I'm in Thailand it goes somewhere to hibernate. My grand daughter asks to see him/her every time she comes for a visit.

He's about the size if my fist and helps keep the pond free of mosquitos.

Pet_frog_3_Em.sized.jpg

The_frog_1.sized.jpg

Rohitsuk's photo of Chiang Mai's newest panda sure shows the little guy is growing fast.

~

SNAKES!

Seriously.. We have several that visit often/live in our hedge and are quite accustomed to us. I stroke them when they show up, my wife who was previously snake-o-phobic even touches them now and our dog touches them with his nose and they simply turn their heads slowly to look at him. We cannot tell if they are smiling but they are absolutely non-aggressive. I actually saw him lick one's tail and it hung around for the massage...!

Leaving them is no prob since they live on the lizards, frogs and toads during the rains anyway - no feeding responsibilities, no crap to clean up, they don't bark and keep us awake, they are some of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen and they ensure that we do not have any rodent problem in our home. Them, along with the singing frogs, incredible butterflies and moths, and geckos that voraciously chow down those pesky mosquitos, what more could I want in the way of "pets"?

We feel no need to "own" some animal to have the beauty of nature in our lives...

I would vote for a small dog !

I had one of those...

Janets_puppy_1.sized.jpg

But I accidently ate him along with my cereal. I just knew a wileycoyote would like small dogs. So do cougars.

The grizzly isn't a bad idea, but the last one I had chased me across the river aand ate my salmon.

Grizzly_closeup_3.jpg

grizzly_with_fish.sized.jpg

Grizzly_on_Morice_1_Em.jpg

Black bears are friendly enough, but just like dogs they are hard to keep out of the garbage.

Black_bears_3_E.jpg

But, I was talking about Chiang Mai. Big dogs need lots of exercise and anything with a thick coat can't handle the heat.

I guess I'll just have to stick with snakes... low maintenance. And they go away when the food supply (rats) leaves.

Spectical_Cobra_E.jpg

I thought about dogs but you've got to feed them and they don't take well to being left all the time. Besides that, some bark too much and some aren't friendly...

Ugly_dog.jpg

And some won't stop mooching food off yor table.

Dalmation.sized.jpg

Cats are cute when they are small...

Baby_tiger.sized.jpg

But then they grow up and take over your favorite sofa

e_mail.sized.jpg

I thought of something exotic like a lizard...

Monitor_lizard_2.jpg

Or even a crocodile that could help get rid of the excess street dogs that bark all night..

Ian_and_boon_with_crocs.jpg

But then they grow up and there is that feeding problem again...

Crocodile_trainer.jpg

A pet cobra might be a good idea. I would keep down the rat population, and it would prevent breakins, but the cleaning lady wouldn't like it.

Cobra_011.jpg

A rooster might be a good idea because then I wouldn't need an alarm clock. And I could have him for dinner if he became a nuisance.

Rooster.sized.jpg

Women are too high maintenance and Elephants are too large for an appartment

Bull_elephant_1.sized.jpg

So maybe I'll just stick with the critters who already call my room home...

Geko_1.jpg

Lizard_head_1.sized.jpg

What do you folks like for pets? I know Nienke likes her big dogs and Eek likes her cats, but does anybody have anything exotic?

yes, a tiger would be perfect (it might then eat all the dogs that bark and howl at all times when their inconsiderate owners are out.

While I am not on much I have noted a number of your posts featuring your own photo. I would imagine that you don't need a pet to keep you company. You seem quite pleased with yourself already.

That's true, but I thought I'd have some fun with the gang here who usually like a good laugh. There's always a few who can come up with clever replies. I actually DO like pets and I was raised with hunting dogs and other working breeds, but my gypsy lifestyle now makes owning a pet unfair to the animal. However, I spend a lot of time interacting with wild creatures, and I'm no longer the hunter I once was... other than just taking photos. People grow very fond of their pets and the pet becomes like a member of the family. There is no question that the creatures at snake farms are accustomed to their handlers and appear tame, but in fact are still dangerous. It's interesting to note the differences in how various dog breeds react to similar situations. Some do well penned up whereas it would cause another breed to grow crazy. Some dogs are people oriented while others are strictly working breeds. The ones bred to fight and kill are an entirely different kettle of fish.

I was thinking an "Ian Forbes" might make an entertaining pet. Of course he would need to be gelded first.

Like a cat, I think an "Ian Forbes" could be left alone at times without emotional damage (which is something I believe you cannot do with a dog). After gelding, I think his desire to roam would diminish, as well as his desire to hunt soft cuddly small creatures in the wild and devour them after playing with them.

The "fishing thing" might well persist; that may be "genetic," however. So we take him out to the Ping, and let him fish away for recreation.

Could be expensive to feed though, particularly if he can't be trained to kibble.

best, ~o:37;

I was thinking an "Ian Forbes" might make an entertaining pet. Of course he would need to be gelded first.

Like a cat, I think an "Ian Forbes" could be left alone at times without emotional damage (which is something I believe you cannot do with a dog). After gelding, I think his desire to roam would diminish, as well as his desire to hunt soft cuddly small creatures in the wild and devour them after playing with them.

The "fishing thing" might well persist; that may be "genetic," however. So we take him out to the Ping, and let him fish away for recreation.

Could be expensive to feed though, particularly if he can't be trained to kibble.

best, ~o:37;

:):D:D

You pretty much nailed it there Orang. I don't make a BAD house guest. I mostly pick up after myself and I am a good cook. Actually, I'm fairly cheap to feed. In Thailand I pretty much survive on Kow Padt, Kai udt sai, Kai te ow, and Padt thai gai... and water with a bit of lime. I don't much like the idea of gelding, but I'm sure that at my age it will happen naturally soon enough.