Pattaya Rumours

waza

LD1 put up there beer prices not long ago from a respectable 95baht for a gogo to i think it was 115b or 125b can't remember now but quite a price hike although i think the owner told me that it was to do with taxes going up.

You can still get a heineken in many beer bars for 50 baht and they didn't raise the prices so not sure what that is about.

I never take the 2 for 1 deals as the draught is dogp*ss.

5 Baht real tax

5 Baht Tea Tax

10 Baht GBO Tax

:)

there will be also an ice skating competition on Walking Street...

...in which my dogs will compete. they are training every day on the ice of my pond, especially the male. he read in Thaivisa that the first prize is "Walking Street one month doggie style for free".

Hi just back from Pattaya, the bars were open all weekend.

The BKK BIB were in town and closing bars on soi 7 and 8 at 1 am, the one found open after that they arrested the cashier, the owners had 3 days to pay a fine of 50,000bt or they lost their licence. The sooner they paid the quicker they got thier cashiers back.

I didnt get hassled by any cops, but plenty of tuk tuk drivers ect

Prices were up, but still found a few cheap beer bars, such as sailor bar,soi 8 and lucky bar soi 7.

<snip>

But overall a good time was had

PS, found the ice rink, but it was zero bar, VO2 bar on walking street, but only serves vodka

Edited by soundman
Removed comments referencing prostitution.

pulling it out for 50 bht beers every time

Where are these bars in Pattaya that sell 50 baht beers?

Champion Gogo, Walking Street - 35 baht for draught

Club BJ, soi BJ - 39 baht for draught

Living Dolls 1, Walking Street - first beer FREE (with coupon), subsequent beers 55 baht

And loads of others with draught beers ranging from 50 baht to 70 baht.

Anyone who drinks draught beers in Thailand needs their head feeling.

there will be also an ice skating competition on Walking Street...

...in which my dogs will compete. they are training every day on the ice of my pond, especially the male. he read in Thaivisa that the first prize is "Walking Street one month doggie style for free".

Woof, woof

Any rumours concerning the price of golf and instant soul-mates? Pattaya can be a lot of fun during off-season. I recommend everyone go there.

It is quiet.

Been living Thailand 6+years, Pattaya last 5. With working offshore doing 4 weeks on/off. like a snapshot, notice how Pattaya is doing. You only need speak to the mototaxi guys and the girls. They notice the downturn. Any truthfull bar owner will say its dire.

Places that are busy do not fill up till late and are like a morgue all day. If times were good, no one would sell their bar. Now the amount for sale is disturbing??

Have my house at Central Park. The number of houses with "For Sale or Rent" posters on their gates have tripled.

Would say 15-17% of the properties where I am are now empty, maybe even a higher %.

Coming through immigration is another eye opener.......................time waiting now is minimal compared to low season last year.

The Ozzies on the rig are now returning to Bali, some of their mates were caught in the airport closures/shutdown/occupation. Being with agencies they lost their slot on the rig, replaced and now out of work.

Ask them and their friends if they are coming to Thailand this December. F### off, F### Thailand is their comment.

It is quiet.

Been living Thailand 6+years, Pattaya last 5. With working offshore doing 4 weeks on/off. like a snapshot, notice how Pattaya is doing. You only need speak to the mototaxi guys and the girls. They notice the downturn. Any truthfull bar owner will say its dire.

Places that are busy do not fill up till late and are like a morgue all day. If times were good, no one would sell their bar. Now the amount for sale is disturbing??

Have my house at Central Park. The number of houses with "For Sale or Rent" posters on their gates have tripled.

Would say 15-17% of the properties where I am are now empty, maybe even a higher %.

Coming through immigration is another eye opener.......................time waiting now is minimal compared to low season last year.

The Ozzies on the rig are now returning to Bali, some of their mates were caught in the airport closures/shutdown/occupation. Being with agencies they lost their slot on the rig, replaced and now out of work.

Ask them and their friends if they are coming to Thailand this December. F### off, F### Thailand is their comment.

I appreciate the reality check, especially how the place is perceived from the outside (and how Bali is looking better and better). It is strange to see posters state "it is low season.....what do you expect?" It is like they have never lived in Pattaya before.

The reality is that it is perhaps the lowest low season of all time. The reason for that is far more complicated than a "global economic downturn."

Personally, I think the posters w/ Rose colored glasses are spending too much time on bar stools. The same can be said for the restaurant and hotel owners who have refused to lower prices, thinking that they will make up for the loss during the high season.

There will be a high season, but it will not be as high as they believe, especially if Thailand continues to refuse to alter its visa rules to make them tourism/expat friendly (like some of its neighbors have already done), address rising xenophobia in the country, and deal with social unrest.

One of my favorite bars on Soi 8 was closing as I walked up to it at 5 PM. Reason: few customers. The night before, they only had two girls working the bar and few customers. A lot of bars are closed but mainly due to the economy and low tourism from what I can see. The streets were rather empty. I walked into a GoGo bar on Soi 7 at 830 PM and only four customers, us. The girls are getting hungry. Buyers market now, definitely not seller's market.

There you go applying Western logic to a Thai situation. Anybody who's lived in LOS for an appreciatable amount of time knows that the economic rule of "supply and demand" does NOT apply here. As the demand goes down, the prices go up (to compensate for fewer customers). Simply a Thai fact of (business) life.

I appreciate the reality check, especially how the place is perceived from the outside (and how Bali is looking better and better). It is strange to see posters state "it is low season.....what do you expect?" It is like they have never lived in Pattaya before.

The reality is that it is perhaps the lowest low season of all time. The reason for that is far more complicated than a "global economic downturn."

Personally, I think the posters w/ Rose colored glasses are spending too much time on bar stools. The same can be said for the restaurant and hotel owners who have refused to lower prices, thinking that they will make up for the loss during the high season.

There will be a high season, but it will not be as high as they believe, especially if Thailand continues to refuse to alter its visa rules to make them tourism/expat friendly (like some of its neighbors have already done), address rising xenophobia in the country, and deal with social unrest.

Hi JR

Your right about the rosy spec people. I can go to a bar which is emptier than it was 2 months ago. The owner still swears he is doing okay/busy. Must have failing eyesight

Lot's of the guys onboard (Brits) tell the office how they want to fly back to the UK.

I put mine as Oz, Sing, Bkk, London. Stay in the UK for 5 nights to see my children 20 + 22yrs then head back BKK where i stay before going back to work.

Some of my colleagues fly via KL and go to Miri or Lang Kawi. Others KL to Ho Chi Mhin (sic) et al.

People are now avoiding Thailand owing to political problems (airport), Red and Yellow clashes and a poor exchange rate.

At the end of the day most guys (Not All) come for sun, sea, sex and beer.

The girls are still attractive but little else is attractive. Corruption of shops at airport, taxi drivers, police and social unrest have been broadcast around the globe.

Like a lot of others, I am settled here with a long term partner, still see the positives outweigh the negatives. But I am already here do not need convincing to come.

High season I fear will be like a busy low season, friends have little bookings for accomodation at their hotels compared to last year.

This can/will have a knock-on effect among the poorer Thais that depend on the sex tourists. There is no getting away from it. They are the monetary welfare for them.

I expect more strife amongst the Thai's, on Pattay News TV, they are reporting Thai on Thai shootings nearly every night along 3rd road.

ive also heard that it is very quiet but thats a good thing in my eyes,,,only bars are closing down is the ones who have lost so ur rite in that aspect,,,as for bkk bibs yes ive heard and read on news that they are clamping down still on coyotes etc but nothing more than usual...

Unfair !

Wiley Coyote

Things are definitely quite dire in Pattaya.

In fact I know a number of girls who have relocated due to lack of customers.

Some have gone to Singapore others to Europe and others have headed to Phuket which may be a little busier than Pattaya but I am not sure.

I think the global economic downturn is a big factor but as others have mentioned Thailand has shot itself in the foot with all the crises of late.

The airport closure was the biggie as that really impacted your joe average tourist and whilst many things dont really impact tourists like the political shenanigans, scams if you aren't a victim etc but the airport closure effected 10s of thousands and people dont forget that one.

Hi JR

Your right about the rosy spec people. I can go to a bar which is emptier than it was 2 months ago. The owner still swears he is doing okay/busy. Must have failing eyesight

Lot's of the guys onboard (Brits) tell the office how they want to fly back to the UK.

I put mine as Oz, Sing, Bkk, London. Stay in the UK for 5 nights to see my children 20 + 22yrs then head back BKK where i stay before going back to work.

Some of my colleagues fly via KL and go to Miri or Lang Kawi. Others KL to Ho Chi Mhin (sic) et al.

People are now avoiding Thailand owing to political problems (airport), Red and Yellow clashes and a poor exchange rate.

At the end of the day most guys (Not All) come for sun, sea, sex and beer.

The girls are still attractive but little else is attractive. Corruption of shops at airport, taxi drivers, police and social unrest have been broadcast around the globe.

Like a lot of others, I am settled here with a long term partner, still see the positives outweigh the negatives. But I am already here do not need convincing to come.

High season I fear will be like a busy low season, friends have little bookings for acomodation at their hotels compared to last year.

This can/will have a knock-on effect among the poorer Thais that depend on the sex tourists. There is no getting away from it. They are the monetary welfare for them.

I expect more strife amongst the Thai's, on Pattay News TV, they are reporting Thai on Thai shootings nearly every night along 3rd road.

Yep.........way too many people are wearing those Rose-colored glasses these days......or they just have their heads in the sand.

Many will say tourism really is not that important to Thailand's economy........then they will add expats have almost no impact. Rubbish!

There are economies within economies that are heavily dependent on tourism........one is the Pattaya-Jomtien economy. If it continues to deteriorate, social unrest will follow mainly because of its negative impact on the Issan economy.

Pattaya-Jomtien will likely see a couple of good tourism months.........that is all. And that is really going to hurt because most of the owners of establishments that are involved with or linked to tourism have refused to play by normal economic rules (i.e., lower prices to increase the number of customers).

Their businesses will start to go under after the "high season."

At least that is what my crystal ball is telling me :)