Golf In Chaing Mai

OOB

Recently arrived in Chiang Mai, I vowed to play all of the local courses before determining on whether a membership at one (or more) was worthwhile.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my views on each of the courses as well as opening up this 'mini-tour' to others who may want to join me on one or more of the days. If there is a particular course that you'd like to play at or have not had a chance previously, please let me know and we'll set up a day to play it (midweek anytime works for me).

To my knowledge, we have the following courses (please let me know those I have missed):

18+ holes

• Alpine Golf Resort
  • Chiang Mai Highlands
  • Royal Chiang Mai
  • Gassan Lake City
  • Gassan Marina
  • Gassan Khuntan
  • Lanna Sports Centre
  • Mae Jo
  • Summit Green Valley

9 holes (or not yet complete)

• Stardome
  • Gymkhana Club
  • Sansai Golf
  • Hang Dong
  • Gold Canyon
  • Sand Creek (?)

Posted below will be the ratings of each of the courses as played. They are personal opinions after one round of golf, so please don't be offended if my view differs from your more experienced opinion!

Ratings legend

5/5 = World Class

4/5 = Excellent

3/5 = Good

2/5 = OK

1/5 = Poor

0/5 = Awful

Note: I'm currently between cars as the rental has gone back and the Nissan salesman keeps making excuses for the non-arrival of my pick-up, so next trip is likely to be week commencing 7 September.

Summit Green Valley

Tues 18 August - 1,000 Bht incl. caddy

One of the few courses that is offering full discounts to all-comers (rather than residents only). Green fees are 800 Baht at all times. 18 holes.

· Course : 2/5 - Water on nearly every hole gives you something to think about.

· Facilities : 3/5 - Decent clubhouse and locker room. Balcony overlooking the course for food and beers.

· Condition : 3/5 - Clubhouse and course is in reasonable nick. Some greens are patchy.

· Speed of play : 1/5 - Large groups of Korean and Japanese golfers who are happy to play 5 hour rounds and are not familiar with letting others play through.

· Value for Money : 2/5 - For 1,000 Baht it is OK.

· Overall : 2/5 - Not a course that I would rush back to play. Perhaps teeing off at 06:00 it would play better but mid-morning behind the large groups was simply not enjoyable.

Lanna Sports Club

Friday 21 August - 500 Bht incl. caddy

Mondays and Fridays are sportsday with an all in price of 500 Bht. We tee'd off at 06:00 in order to beat the anticipated crowds. 27 holes.

· Course : 3/5 - Old style Thai course which reminded us of Siam Country Club in Pattaya (the old course). Thick local grasses and 'upturned saucer' like greens.

· Facilities : 2/5 - At that early in the morning we did not get to use much. The watering holes were not open, however the caddy provided refreshments. Locker room and showers need renovation.

· Condition : 2/5 - The course suffers from ant hills on the fairways. The greens are in very good nick though and once the dew had lifted they were very fast.

· Speed of play : 2/5 - The club really let themselves down here. Teeing off at 06:00 we cleared the first nine holes in 90 minutes...and then got a sinking feeling walking to the tenth tee where the starter had allowed larger groups to start their rounds in front of us.

· Value for money : 4/5 - 500 Baht all in for a course so close to town represents excellent value for money.

· Overall : 3/5 - Had it not been for the starter letting groups play off the tenth we would really have rated Lanna highly. How long they'll run the 500 Baht days for I don't know, but at that price it is excellent value.

Hang Dong Golf Club

Monday 24 August - 300 Bht incl. caddy

Local, friendly 9 hole course which can be played in 1 or more loops. 18 holes is 300 Bht, you can play unlimited holes for 450 Bht and if you start after 16:00 it is only 150 Bht (all incl. caddy).

· Course : 2/5 - Short but scenic nine hole loop. Water in play on a number of holes and a fair amount of OB too.

· Facilities : 1/5 - Local course for me which I played as a single so did not use lockers/showers (if there are any). There are a couple of watering holes and signs that beer is served, not sure about food though.

· Condition : 1/5 - The course is not in great condition but is certainly playable and beats mindlessly bashing hundreds of balls on the range.

· Speed of play : 4/5 - Groups are friendly and very willing to let quicker players go through. Caddies also happy to skip holes and/or start on a different part of the loop in order to keep pace moving.

· Value for money : 3/5 - Not a course I'd travel far too, but if you live nearby and want to practice it's great value.

· Overall : 2/5 - Hard to knock the course for the price.

I'd be interested to hear what kinds of memberships you find are available.

To anybody but the super-rich, i only know of the mae jo golf club that offers affordable membership, and therefore affordable golf. I base that on the premise of playing a decent course (ie 18 holes) once a week.

I didn't know about the sports days being offered at lanna, that sounds most commendable. Just for the low season? Those rates are very good indeed. Did you get to choose which two nine holes you played, or was it chosen for you? I ask because i always rememeber one of the nines as being very nice golf indeed, and one of them being stuck in the middle near all the horse racing with no respite from a beating sun.

Be aware that the highlands is still offering a green fee rate of 800 baht for people who live in northern thailand until the end of october. Most of them were doing this but it expired end of june. Credit to highlands for continuing.

Normally golf in chiang mai, at least at the 18 hole courses, is pretty bloody expensive, only made affordable by becoming a member. But as i said, i think that is just mae jo without paying a fortune for the actual membership.

I didn't know about the sports days being offered at lanna, that sounds most commendable. Just for the low season? Those rates are very good indeed. Did you get to choose which two nine holes you played, or was it chosen for you? I ask because i always rememeber one of the nines as being very nice golf indeed, and one of them being stuck in the middle near all the horse racing with no respite from a beating sun.

I believe it is through to end October, as indeed most of the offers seem to be. My missus called all the courses and most offered some promotional price, however they demanded a work permit or thai driving license to honour them (I now have the latter!).

I'll revert on membership after I have played them all. The offer would have to be compelling wherever it is.

I will be interested in what you think of Highands. I think being the best up North. Are you going to CR ? Santaburi is worth a play

If you need mates to play with can always contact these fellows:

http://theroyalleague.com/

Will certainly get up there to play some when. Had to do the Mai Sai run once already for my lad (long story) so not looking forward to that drive again for some time!

Thanks for the link - I have also seen/contacted these but want to get around and play all the courses myself before committing to a society (as they seem to base themselves at given courses).

http://www.golf-chiangmai.com/

http://www.chiangmaigolfers.blogspot.com/

Sorry missed the question on the nines... We did not play the nine in the racecourse...however that was not by our explicit choosing. I think that as we tee'd off first we played the 'traditional' route round.

Inthanon golf - currently nine holes, other 9 opening in November.

A pleasant challenging nine, assume the new holes will have their own challenges this could be a fair place to play.

Inexpensive at 500baht including caddy fee, very limited facilities atm and caddies not very knowledgeable but nevertheless found it very pleasant to play but I am at only novice plus stage.

Yesterday played Royal, great course good facilities. Toughest for me- Highland and Stardome (despite only nine holes, playing blues then whites)

A pleasant challenging nine, assume the new holes will have their own challenges this could be a fair place to play.

Inexpensive at 500baht including caddy fee, very limited facilities atm and caddies not very knowledgeable but nevertheless found it very pleasant to play but I am at only novice plus stage.

Yesterday played Royal, great course good facilities. Toughest for me- Highland and Stardome (despite only nine holes, playing blues then whites)

Hi. Where's Inthanon? Do you have any contact details?

Cheers

Hi. Where's Inthanon? Do you have any contact details?

Cheers

"Directions: follow the HangDong Chiangmai-Hot road, it is two lane divided highway all the way with the exception of single lane through the towns of Hang Dong and San Patong. Along the way or at least after SanPatong there are white cement milage markers which indicate the milage from the Three Kings Monument in Chiangmai. The 50Kms marker is at an intersection with a set of lights and large green & white overhead road signs (left to Lamphun I think), turn right here onto a narrow dirt lane which leads to the course about 2.5 kms"

http://www.chiangmaiinthanongolfresort.com/

Thanks for the topic, OOB. I'm no longer a golfer, but I have many friends who are, and I'm going to copy your impressions to give to my friends when they ask. I have a tricky back that will no longer take the swing. I'm a pretty good putter though, when I practise.

Inthanon Golf Resort

Tuesday 1st September -500 Bht incl. caddy

New course which has 'soft launched' with a loop of nine holes. The second nine scheduled to open around December this year. I was informed that green fees are unlikely to go up and membership will be around 20,000 for 3 years (you pay 200 Baht per round for the caddy).

· Course : 3/5 - The nine holes open are interesting and different. An unusual layout where you play a par 5 followed by back to back 3's and then another par 5. Not sure if the flow will change when the other nine opens.

· Facilities : 2/5 - Not much yet, but they have beer, food and showers (in a bamboo hut).

· Condition : 4/5 - As you'd expect of a new course, it is in excellent condition. The greens are well mown and quick and the fairway grass looks like it is imported.

· Speed of play : 3/5 - The two groups of six(!) that I encountered let me through quickly and politely. As ever with a loop of nine you inevitably got caught up somewhere.

· Value for money : 4/5 - It looks like it's going to be a very good course. If they stick to their word with the pricing it will be a cracker.

· Overall : 3/5 - Only nine holes at present and they are new and keen. If they keep the same attitude and pricing this will be a course that will become very popular, despite the trek out of town.

Inthanon Golf Resort

Tuesday 1st September -500 Bht incl. caddy

New course which has 'soft launched' with a loop of nine holes. The second nine scheduled to open around December this year. I was informed that green fees are unlikely to go up and membership will be around 20,000 for 3 years (you pay 200 Baht per round for the caddy).

· Course : 3/5 - The nine holes open are interesting and different. An unusual layout where you play a par 5 followed by back to back 3's and then another par 5. Not sure if the flow will change when the other nine opens.

· Facilities : 2/5 - Not much yet, but they have beer, food and showers (in a bamboo hut).

· Condition : 4/5 - As you'd expect of a new course, it is in excellent condition. The greens are well mown and quick and the fairway grass looks like it is imported.

· Speed of play : 3/5 - The two groups of six(!) that I encountered let me through quickly and politely. As ever with a loop of nine you inevitably got caught up somewhere.

· Value for money : 4/5 - It looks like it's going to be a very good course. If they stick to their word with the pricing it will be a cracker.

· Overall : 3/5 - Only nine holes at present and they are new and keen. If they keep the same attitude and pricing this will be a course that will become very popular, despite the trek out of town.

Looks like you enjoyed it, did the Stardome this morning, round in two hours 10 minutes for all 18- very quiet.

You were lucky with the 6's, not good experiences here with 5's & 6's, unfortunately always Thais.

I thought it would be best to ask here - which is the golf course that is open at night time also, under flood lights? I'm sure I read somewhere that it is close to the city, and somewhere you can go for a more fun and relaxed round of golf. I could be totally wrong and it's only a driving range or something though :s

Mae Jo golf course

Head out towards MaeJo university, follow the signs. They have nice accommodation and had special rates on back in May when me and my pal went (with the TGFs)

· Course : 3/5 - Some water, many dog leg holes, hidden greens that made for a nice change.

· Facilities : 2/5 - as to expected facilities, nothing earth shattering, but decent food... lack of little beer houses around the course

· Condition : 2-3/5 - Can't recall exact details, but nothing that stuck out in my mind

· Speed of play : 3/5 - Decent marshals ensuring the tee offs are respected. However, we refused to pay the 500 Bhat each to have our girlfriends sit in the buggy for the ride (what a rip off!)

· Value for Money : 2/5 - 1000 bhat + night's accommodation.

· Overall : 2.5/5 - really pleasant course, very challenging and in good nick. A real gem that seems hidden out of the way and less known than the other 'big' courses.

I thought it would be best to ask here - which is the golf course that is open at night time also, under flood lights? I'm sure I read somewhere that it is close to the city, and somewhere you can go for a more fun and relaxed round of golf. I could be totally wrong and it's only a driving range or something though :s

Stardome- night golfing- also has a very good driving range.

Stardome- night golfing- also has a very good driving range.

thanks, I'll definitely try that out soon :)

Chiang Mai Highlands

Thursday 4th September - 1,050 Bht incl. caddy

Mountainous course with fantastic vistas. Water comes into play on a number of the lowland holes and the mountain side holes have very steep inclines making approach shots and putts hazardous.

· Course : 4/5 - A great challenge and highly recommended.

· Facilities : 4/5 - The clubhouse and locker rooms are very tidy. Drink stops every 3-4 holes where the girls serve up cold towels. Food was good but a little pricey.

· Condition : 3/5 - I thought the course was in great condition, but my playing partners said the greens very a little slower than normal (due to the time of year).

· Speed of play : 3/5 - There was nobody else within two holes of us, so we moved at our own speed. The heat and the terrain makes for a slower game though.

· Value for money : 3/5 - At around a thousand Baht it is a good course and well worth the trip out for. I would not play the course at the walk-in rate of 2,500 however.

· Overall : 4/5 - Highlands is an excellent golf club. All of the staff are very welcoming, the course is a real challenge and it's good value at approx 20 GBP.

Alpine Golf Resort

Monday 7th September - 1,050 Bht incl. caddy

Newly renovated course with wide fairways but plenty of water. Paid 1,050 as a members guest.

· Course : 3/5 - A good course but the green are new and still very firm, meaning holding the green is tough.

· Facilities : 3/5 - Good clubhouse, but the cost of beer and food is overly expensive.

· Condition : 4/5 - The course and clubhouse are in excellent condition.

· Speed of play : 4/5 - The course is virtually empty and thus speed is not a problem. We did not encounter any other groups, despite playing as a two ball.

· Value for money : 3/5 - The green fee, as a guest is perfectly acceptable, but the cost of a beer is ridiculous.

· Overall : 3/5 - A good golf course, with few players. The thing that lets them down is the cost of a beer after the game. 235 Baht, incl. service and tax, for a large Singha and a Sprite mixer - ridiculous, given that there is no-one there...

Mae Jo Golf Club

Tuesday 8th September -850 Bht incl. caddy

Very attractive track which winds through an (active) orchard. Narrow fairways with lots of danger lurking should you miss them.

· Course : 3/5 - The tree-lined fairways provide quite a change from the likes of Highlands and Alpine. Keep the ball in play though and there are opportunities to shoot good scores.

· Facilities : 3/5 - Pleasant facilities and good food.

· Condition : 3/5 - Nothing noted as being out of condition - good all round.

· Speed of play : 4/5 - Played at our own speed with only the occasional wait.

· Value for money : 4/5 - I joined as a member in order to take advantage of this rate. The membership cost for one year is just 1,500 Baht, and the club runs various member only competitions - so well worth it.

· Overall : 3/5 - Not a course that necessarily suits my (wayward) game, but thoroughly enjoyable nevertheless. The membership fee pays back after just three rounds (at current low season rates).

Gassan Open Club (GO Club)

Costs just 100 Baht to join (for residents) and offers the following until the end of October:-

Gassan Lake City - Green Fee and Caddy - 500 Baht all in

Gassan Khuntan - Green Fee and Caddy - 800 Baht all in

Add a cart to either for just 200 Baht.

In October there are Sportsdays (two each week on each course, different days) where they are offering "unlimited green fees" of 500 for Lake City and 700 Khuntan. It's not entirely obvious how this differs from the above though...

Deals including hotel stays are also available running through until end of Feb 2010 and will include Marina when it re-opens.

I joined today and will look to play both of the courses within the next couple of weeks. Anyone wishing to join me - please send a PM.

My understanding is that the current low prices are a short time promotion and then it is back to rates as usual. There is no way that they can afford to maintain the course at the current rates and no perhaps no surprise that all the courses decided to have the same promotion at the same time.

Just not the Thai way to reduce prices when times are bad, and in fact the normal practice is quite the opposite. Expect high prices in high season

BTW, Green Valley has night golf now and really cheap until it catches on

My understanding is that the current low prices are a short time promotion and then it is back to rates as usual. There is no way that they can afford to maintain the course at the current rates and no perhaps no surprise that all the courses decided to have the same promotion at the same time.

A very fair point. I have explicitly tried to list exactly how and where I got the prices for each game from. If I have misled anyone into thinking that these are the year round rates for each course, then I apologise.

For the record, the full listed green fee price for virtually all courses can be found at their respective web sites or you can call the clubs in question directly.