Police Shoot Rottweiler

G54

People are always going to be split on the subject but it's usually a case that people who have owned or that have had contact with Rottweilers know, from experience, what they are talking about and the people who have been brainwashed by media-hype and enjoy stereotyping believe that the breed as a whole are evil, vicious, child-killing beasts! I've been using thaivisa now for quite some time and am now used to seeing ridiculous posts by ignorant and narrow-minded people but loser1 has to be the worst yet, what a pleb! But someone who judges people by what clothes they wear or whether they have tattoos or not should just be ignored and not taken seriously anyway.

It's misinformation like 'they were used by the Romans to unleash upon their enemy' which causes the negative opinions, they were actually used by the Romans to herd their cattle and protect their livestock from wolves and other prey. Here's a few more facts and information about the Rottweiler, maybe loser1 will change his views after reading this as he's so easily influenced!

During the World Wars, Rottweilers were put into service in various roles including as messenger, draught, and guard dogs. Currently they are often used as search and rescue, assistance, guide dogs for the blind, guard and police dogs in addition to their traditional roles.

According to the FCI Standard, the Rottweiler is good-natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, it is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. Their appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self assured, steady and fearless. They react to their surroundings with great alertness.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler#cite_note-6

The American Kennel Club says it is basically a calm, confident and courageous dog with a self-assured aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. A Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in its environment. It has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making him especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler#cite_note-7

Rottweilers are a powerful breed with well developed genetic herding and guarding instincts. As with any breed, potentially dangerous behaviour in Rottweilers usually results from irresponsible ownership, abuse, neglect, or lack of socialization and training. Inherent breed characteristics are not a factor.

The breed has received some negative publicity. In the US, in a report by the CDC, the Rottweiler was listed as the second most likely breed of dog named in fatal human attacks, following pitbulls. The report acknowledges that the broad popularity of the breed may contribute to high numbers of fatalities, but suggests Rottweilers are still disproportionately represented in attack figures. Breed-specific bite rates are not known, and less responsible owners being drawn to certain breeds may be a factor.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler#cite_note-8 American insurance company Allstate (depending on the state) may not insure homes with Rottweilers as well as Pit Bulls, Boxers, Akitas, Chow Chows, Dobermans, or wolf hybrids.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler#cite_note-9

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An excellent report skybluestu, and your homework on the breed is impecable! If you give these dogs, love, attention, obedience training and plenty of walking, then you will own a calm, submissive, loveable companion who will love and take care of you until it dies. Chain them up and ill treat them, then you will have a potential killer on your hands. You could say it's like giving some one who is irresponsible a firearm, one day he will discharge it at someone causing serious injury or death. Give the same firearm to a person who is disciplined, calm and attends training, and that person will have lots of pleasure from his firearm.

Judge the Deed, not the Breed!

I wonder if any of the people posting the negative comments about Rottweilers have ever owned one or even had any interaction with one? I seriously doubt it as it seems none of you actually know anything about these dogs! Dogs attack people every day for a number of different reasons, mainly lack of training and socialization when the dog was young, it's nothing to do with the breed. Most people who have owned many different breeds of dogs say that Rotties are their favourite as they are the most loving and least problematic. Because Rottweilers are one of the most intelligent and easily trainable breed of dogs, and they are also big and strong, people often have them as guard dogs. But the majority are kept as loving family pets and are absolutely fine with people, including kids, and other dogs. My neighbour had Rotties when I was a kid and all they ever did was play with the local kids, even when we were a bit rough with them. I am the proud owner of a 6 month old female Rottie and she's had lots of training and socialization and loves everyone, she's never shown any sign of aggression towards anyone or other dogs and meets many people, including kids, on a daily basis. But there are sometimes people who avoid her when she's walking towards them and that is for one reason...ridiculous stories in the media and internet (like this one on thaivisa!) which gives them bad press. This story wouldn't have been posted at all if the dog involved wasn't a Rottweiler, I see soi dogs chasing and biting people on a regular basis here in Thailand but they don't get shot! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST A BAD OWNER!!!

I completely agree. Rottweilers are wonderful and lovable dogs. Their playful disposition make them particularly suited for families with young children. They also make parfect companions for the elderly and handicapped.

Put me down in the camp of people who think there are only bad owners. Does everyone need to have a large dog? hel_l no, but then again I think there should be an iq test with everyone not reaching a certain level being sterilised...but that's beside the point.

I've owned German Shepards, Rotts, Shepard/Rott mix, St. Bernards, mutts, etc. And not one of them has demonstrated any inclination to cause harm to anyone who didn't deserve it. They all have integrated well into the family and as long as you have a strong personality it's too easy to control them. The alpha male in my father in law's house didn't take to me; I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and let him know I wasn't going to take that and then fed him. He loves me now and often comes for a nice belly scratch. This is a dog who's all scarred up from making sure that he's the top dog in the mooban and I don't doubt that he'd protect my daughter just like he protects his bitches.

As a side note; I've been bitten by more human females (long story) than by dogs. The only dog that was able to sink its teeth into me was a miniature dalmation. He did end up 1/2 across the yard for that.

I also agree with the sentiment that there are some people who like to latch on to news stories about how horrific these breeds are; but it's often left out what percipitated the attacks. If a human goes on a rampage people want to know why. So just exactly why do they assume that a dog will not have any reason to attack?

We have to realise that few animals are really evolved. Look at humans; there's some who, just like bonobos, think that having a diet of bananas and fruit and having sex with all and sundry is acceptable. All dogs are descended from wolves and keep those age old instincts. But so are cats; watch a cat stalk a gecko if you doubt it. Having said that it's up to the person who wants to accept responsibility for the animal to understand it and control it.

People are always going to be split on the subject but it's usually a case that people who have owned or that have had contact with Rottweilers know, from experience, what they are talking about and the people who have been brainwashed by media-hype and enjoy stereotyping believe that the breed as a whole are evil, vicious, child-killing beasts! I've been using thaivisa now for quite some time and am now used to seeing ridiculous posts by ignorant and narrow-minded people but loser1 has to be the worst yet, what a pleb! But someone who judges people by what clothes they wear or whether they have tattoos or not should just be ignored and not taken seriously anyway.

It's misinformation like 'they were used by the Romans to unleash upon their enemy' which causes the negative opinions, they were actually used by the Romans to herd their cattle and protect their livestock from wolves and other prey. Here's a few more facts and information about the Rottweiler, maybe loser1 will change his views after reading this as he's so easily influenced!

You know i something, i've had an epiphany !! Oh thankyou skybluestu !! I've read all about those lovely 'rotties' and have come to the conclusion that i am indeed a pleb!

Now what i propose to do to fit right in with your views is to get my self a couple off big dogs i'm reckoning a rottweiller and a pitbull as the former dog handler recommends them (although the UK goverment doesn't but hey what do they know). And if like a previous poster said " It did bite a Thai woman once but i turned it had psychological problems" I'm sure that was of great comfort to the woman who had been 'bit' i suppose her type will be bleeting about psychological trauma these people should just learn to toughen up a bit, it really peeves me when i hear about dog incidents in the media how they blow things out of all proportion using words like 'victim', 'attacked', 'mauled', 'intensive care', 'bereaved parents' and my particular bug bear the old '100 stitches' (i'm sure they round them up you know, like 87 stitches up to 100 just to makes the dogs look bad.

Ok great before i pick the lovely chappies though i must get off for a tattoo or two doesn't matter what design thats not the point, i'll just pick something from a book, can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap vest? as i do like to show my armpits off as well as the the new tatts, another bonus being you can wear it every day coz you don't have to worry about the under arms getting soiled, fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for all you've done in educating me on how a civilised person should behave. And to anyone who does one day while minding there own business encounter one of these cheeky chappies running towards them Remember 'Don't be scared, he only wants to play with you and him snarling is just his way of laughing. Happy days :D:):D

You do realise there's a ladies section on thaivisa don't you?! ;-)

You know i something, i've had an epiphany !! Oh thankyou skybluestu !! I've read all about those lovely 'rotties' and have come to the conclusion that i am indeed a pleb!

Now what i propose to do to fit right in with your views is to get my self a couple off big dogs i'm reckoning a rottweiller and a pitbull as the former dog handler recommends them (although the UK goverment doesn't but hey what do they know). And if like a previous poster said " It did bite a Thai woman once but i turned it had psychological problems" I'm sure that was of great comfort to the woman who had been 'bit' i suppose her type will be bleeting about psychological trauma these people should just learn to toughen up a bit, it really peeves me when i hear about dog incidents in the media how they blow things out of all proportion using words like 'victim', 'attacked', 'mauled', 'intensive care', 'bereaved parents' and my particular bug bear the old '100 stitches' (i'm sure they round them up you know, like 87 stitches up to 100 just to makes the dogs look bad.

Ok great before i pick the lovely chappies though i must get off for a tattoo or two doesn't matter what design thats not the point, i'll just pick something from a book, can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap vest? as i do like to show my armpits off as well as the the new tatts, another bonus being you can wear it every day coz you don't have to worry about the under arms getting soiled, fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for all you've done in educating me on how a civilised person should behave. And to anyone who does one day while minding there own business encounter one of these cheeky chappies running towards them Remember 'Don't be scared, he only wants to play with you and him snarling is just his way of laughing. Happy days :D:):D

You do realise there's a ladies section on thaivisa don't you?! ;-)

Why? do they know where to get the cheap vests ?

Loser by name, loser by nature! Time of the month is it Princess?

Oh...dangerous dog owner with a vest and tattoos and now sexist as well ? :D:D

So lets just get this straight.. Firstly you think women should only post in the womens section. Secondly you seem to also be inferring that women ( western i assume ) who are menstruating don't have a valid arguement or point of view...?

Where would do gay people sit in your world? :)

So lets just get this straight.. Firstly you think women should only post in the womens section. Secondly you seem to also be inferring that women ( western i assume ) who are menstruating don't have a valid arguement or point of view...?

From his postings I'd assume not in his lap....

It is amazing that you assume you can get away with stereotyping and yet are offended when the tables are turned on you.

From his postings I'd assume not in his lap....

It is amazing that you assume you can get away with stereotyping and yet are offended when the tables are turned on you.

So loser1 has gone from being ignorant, judgemental and narrow-minded to politically correct in just a few hours! I accept anyone regardless of sex, sexual preference, race, religion, clothes, tattoos, pets they own etc etc until they do/say something to make me feel differently. I have many gay friends who could sit on my lap if they wished, I lived in Brighton for many years before I came here which is the gay capital of England and often frequented gay bars while living there. I do have tattoos (so what?) but don't own a vest. I am about to join my wife at our neighbours house (who is a gay Ajarn at a local Uni and who also has tattoos) so will bid you goodnight!

So loser1 has gone from being ignorant, judgemental and narrow-minded to politically correct in just a few hours! I accept anyone regardless of sex, sexual preference, race, religion, clothes, tattoos, pets they own etc etc until they do/say something to make me feel differently. I have many gay friends who could sit on my lap if they wished, I lived in Brighton for many years before I came here which is the gay capital of England and often frequented gay bars while living there. I do have tattoos (so what?) but don't own a vest. I am about to join my wife at our neighbours house (who is a gay Ajarn at a local Uni and who also has tattoos) so will bid you goodnight!

Now I'm curious; would you let them sit in your lap? :)

Should have shot the owner for not controling the dog.

These were originally used as "wardogs" ages upon ages ago. I think even the Roman armies used such a breed to unleash upon the enemy.

It's actually more likely that mastiffs were used as wardogs (pugnaces). The Romans exported large numbers of British mastiffs back to Rome to be used all over the empire

Now I'm curious; would you let them sit in your lap? :)

No, despite my love of dogs, I'm a pussy man really!

I googled the top 10 dangerous dogs.

Here is the up to date Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the overall number of reported attacks in the UK in 2006.

1. Staffordshire Terrier - 279

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

Most sites I looked at have Rotts in the top 3. Speaks for itself really.

Labrador??????? Those goofy dogs with lovable eyes and floppy ears, who can't stand being away from people, who are so docile that they are used as guide dogs??? There's something wrong with my Lab then, cos she absolutely prefers to lick you to death :)

Here is the up to date Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the overall number of reported attacks in the UK in 2006.

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

Labrador??????? Those goofy dogs with lovable eyes and floppy ears, who can't stand being away from people, who are so docile that they are used as guide dogs??? There's something wrong with my Lab then, cos she absolutely prefers to lick you to death :)

Number 10 Terrier seems a bit vague. What sort of terrier?

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

No idea. Maybe one of those little yappy things on Yabba :D

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

Labrador??????? Those goofy dogs with lovable eyes and floppy ears, who can't stand being away from people, who are so docile that they are used as guide dogs??? There's something wrong with my Lab then, cos she absolutely prefers to lick you to death :D

No idea. Maybe one of those little yappy things on Yabba :D

:)

The Kelpie is an Australian cattle dog.

A Kelpie looks like a Border Collie and is a sheep dog.

My apologies. You're right.

Australian cattle dogs are mainly, but, not exclusively, Red, or, Blue Heelers.

Everyone that I have known that has owned one has sworn blind that they are absolutely the best.

A man is expected to undergo surgery after being attacked by his dog, which bit him on his face, groin and leg.

The 34-year-old man was attacked by his family dog, believed to be a pit-bull terrier, in the backyard of his Whitford Road home in Green Valley, in Sydney's west, about 10pm (AEST) on Sunday.

Police believe the dog turned on the man when he tried to remove it from an enclosed pergola in the backyard.

He was left with bites to his mouth, groin and left leg.

His wife and six children, aged two to 13 years, were home at the time.

The man managed to call emergency services and is expected to have surgery at Liverpool Hospital.

The dog was removed from the home and will be destroyed, police said.

A man is expected to undergo surgery after being attacked by his dog, which bit him on his face, groin and leg.

The 34-year-old man was attacked by his family dog, believed to be a pit-bull terrier, in the backyard of his Whitford Road home in Green Valley, in Sydney's west, about 10pm (AEST) on Sunday.

Police believe the dog turned on the man when he tried to remove it from an enclosed pergola in the backyard.

He was left with bites to his mouth, groin and left leg.

His wife and six children, aged two to 13 years, were home at the time.

The man managed to call emergency services and is expected to have surgery at Liverpool Hospital.

The dog was removed from the home and will be destroyed, police said.

Did it mention if the guy was wearing a vest ?

Edited by loser1

Just for those who think dangerous dogs and kids mix

Jeez, you're still bleating on like an easily led sheep! What's the point in that post? Guess you ignored all the hundreds of others that showed 'dangerous' dogs happily playing with & licking babies/kids that are also on youtube. You're preaching to the converted to the people who think the same as you and those who really know (current & previous owners) will not change their opinion because of it so you're wasting your time. Surely there's a post somewhere on here about cars/motorbikes/fireworks/guns/nut allergies etc etc etc that injure or kill children, couldn't you annoy them with your nonsense instead.

I wonder if any of the people posting the negative comments about Rottweilers have ever owned one or even had any interaction with one? I seriously doubt it as it seems none of you actually know anything about these dogs! Dogs attack people every day for a number of different reasons, mainly lack of training and socialization when the dog was young, it's nothing to do with the breed. Most people who have owned many different breeds of dogs say that Rotties are their favourite as they are the most loving and least problematic. Because Rottweilers are one of the most intelligent and easily trainable breed of dogs, and they are also big and strong, people often have them as guard dogs. But the majority are kept as loving family pets and are absolutely fine with people, including kids, and other dogs. My neighbour had Rotties when I was a kid and all they ever did was play with the local kids, even when we were a bit rough with them. I am the proud owner of a 6 month old female Rottie and she's had lots of training and socialization and loves everyone, she's never shown any sign of aggression towards anyone or other dogs and meets many people, including kids, on a daily basis. But there are sometimes people who avoid her when she's walking towards them and that is for one reason...ridiculous stories in the media and internet (like this one on thaivisa!) which gives them bad press. This story wouldn't have been posted at all if the dog involved wasn't a Rottweiler, I see soi dogs chasing and biting people on a regular basis here in Thailand but they don't get shot! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST A BAD OWNER!!!

statistically they are bad dogs, or statistically only bad owners have "rotties"?