What Bike To Buy In Thailand

fm2002

I'd buy the Versys in a minute. I have heard rumors that Kawasaki will release to the Thai market all the bikes they currently manufacture in Thailand. Not sure the Versys is one of them, but we can only hope. In addition my friend last night told me about the import taxes going away at the beginning of the year. Hopefully this will add some affordable bikes to the market. Not sure I can wait ???

Would be wonderful if all Kawasaki models were available in Thailand, but currently some, (like the KLR650) can not pass the strict Thai emissions test... :D (Yes, I know how STRANGE that sounds!) :)

The Versys is currently made in Japan, not Thailand, though from recent news reports it sounds like Kawasaki may move more production to Thailand. Wonder how long that might take- imagine we wouldn't see any new models for at least a year or two...

Also as a point of clarification- the import duties on Japanese goods are being phased out over a 10 year period as spelled out in the Japan-Thailand Free Trade Agreement.

I think we're in the 3rd year of the agreement now, so the import duties on Japanese goods should be eliminated in another 7 years.

The Versys is 6kg heavier than the Er6n, but the fuel tank holds 3 litres more fuel. The Versys has adjustable front suspension. And the frame/swing arm is slightly different. Not much between them, ay! But the price of a Versys in LOS would bite!

Hi guys,

I have been riding around on a BMW F650GS, 2003, 35k kms for about 2 years. Serviced and sold by Barcelona and with all papers. I will be moving away from Thailand soon, so if anyone is interested in a great and very reliable enduro/allroad let me know. Comes with BMW panniers and possibly a Zumo sold seperately. Bike is in BKK.

JR

The Versys is 6kg heavier than the Er6n, but the fuel tank holds 3 litres more fuel. The Versys has adjustable front suspension. And the frame/swing arm is slightly different. Not much between them, ay! But the price of a Versys in LOS would bite!

Any ideas if you were to change only the swing arm and support and front forks ??? Think you wouldn't have to change the other bits.

Hi guys,

I have been riding around on a BMW F650GS, 2003, 35k kms for about 2 years. Serviced and sold by Barcelona and with all papers. I will be moving away from Thailand soon, so if anyone is interested in a great and very reliable enduro/allroad let me know. Comes with BMW panniers and possibly a Zumo sold seperately. Bike is in BKK.

JR

Thanks for the offer, but am looking for something around year 2007.

Hi fm2002,

About the 2 F650GS I know for sale here in CNX, they are from 2007 (on the road on May and registered -green book- on October), have about 13000/15000 km on the clock, IMHO in good condition (but not mint) and ride well...

I choosed the red one in this time because:

1) I do wanted a red one,

2) I felt it was the best one though its 17500 km...

I'm not a fool to buy a red bike if I feel it is worse than the other black and titan blue ones... :)

The 3 bikes for sale:

post-41729-1251824168_thumb.jpg

2 or 3 weeks ago, I met the seller. The asking price is now 360 KB... maybe 350... The seller, Khun Jeerapab (Mrs) is a hard trader! She sticked to her prices with smiles. You have to smile and be "charming" too, and have solid arguments to get a bargain! If you want her phone number, please PM me...

Green books registered in BKK. No problem: I've done the change to CNX without any hassle: I will get my new plate/number next week! So just papers and some (long?) time...

If not actually done, front and rear tyres had to be changed (maybe 6000/8000 Bahts), rear sprocket too (maybe 1500 Bahts), and batteries were at the end of their life (maybe 2500/3500 Bahts)... Nothing broken, torn or missing... Good bikes IMHO. And I insist IMHO: what could be right for me could be wrong for you, and I/you understand that. I don't want any problem in the future because this or that! I just try to help if needed...

Cheers,

Gobs

A Honda Dream 125 with knobbly tyres would fulfill all your needs. It even has a basket to carry stuff.

Reading this thread I was thinking Honda Wave, they will get you anywhere and they will never brake down... Guess that they are more comfortable than many of the larger bikes!

Think about how much money you can save riding one of those?

Sure I would prefer a BMW or the Transalp... But then again... I like the speed, so if you dont need to move fast, get the honda!! WAVE

Hi fm2002,

About the 2 F650GS I know for sale here in CNX, they are from 2007 (on the road on May and registered -green book- on October), have about 13000/15000 km on the clock, IMHO in good condition (but not mint) and ride well...

I choosed the red one in this time because:

1) I do wanted a red one,

2) I felt it was the best one though its 17500 km...

I'm not a fool to buy a red bike if I feel it is worse than the other black and titan blue ones... :)

The 3 bikes for sale:

post-41729-1251824168_thumb.jpg

2 or 3 weeks ago, I met the seller. The asking price is now 360 KB... maybe 350... The seller, Khun Jeerapab (Mrs) is a hard trader! She sticked to her prices with smiles. You have to smile and be "charming" too, and have solid arguments to get a bargain! If you want her phone number, please PM me...

Green books registered in BKK. No problem: I've done the change to CNX without any hassle: I will get my new plate/number next week! So just papers and some (long?) time...

If not actually done, front and rear tyres had to be changed (maybe 6000/8000 Bahts), rear sprocket too (maybe 1500 Bahts), and batteries were at the end of their life (maybe 2500/3500 Bahts)... Nothing broken, torn or missing... Good bikes IMHO. And I insist IMHO: what could be right for me could be wrong for you, and I/you understand that. I don't want any problem in the future because this or that! I just try to help if needed...

Cheers,

Gobs

Gobs,

Thanks for all your help. You give a number of the ladys secretary who is selling the bike on GT-Rider. Is this number correct ? It looks like I've narrowed it down to a used BMW 650GS or a new Kawasaki 650er6n. Will rent the Kawi soon here in Pattaya and see how it rides. Than maybe take a trip up to CNX to checkout the 2 BMW's. Wanted to ask you if there is a reputable shop up there that can check the bikes out for me ? I'm assuming she is currently renting them so perhaps I can rent them for a checkout ride.

Frank

Hi fm,

Thanks, but no matter for the help: I do appreciate when someone is ready to help me too!.. :)

You can phone to the secretary, she will relay...

Great idea to rent and test the 2 bikes you like! They are so, so different!, you should be able to make your own idea/feeling about how they ride...

Cheers,

Gobs

Well I went down to Beach Road yesterday and rented the Kawasaki Er6n. I decided to take it out to Chonburi to Chonburi Superbike which entailed about a 100km ride on Sukhumvit returning on highway 7. So the ride was limited to paved good roads. As with any new Japanese bike there isn't much to say bad about it. The small things I didn't like were:

1) Comfort - for me it's not that comfortable. After sometime I'm sure my muscles would accommodate it better, but it seemed a reach to the bars and the seat angle didn't accommodate quick starts or stops for me or especially for my gf on the back. You could perhaps change the bars to bring them in closer. Bottomline - I couldn't see taking this bike on long haul rides

2) Wind Shield - it was windy yesterday, but I would definitely need to put a windshield on it. At speeds 100+ I definitely was being pushed around

3) Suspension - if you have read my post I'm looking for a bike I can also use on dirt. For this reason I believe the suspension is too stiff for this. Of course this bike is made for street so you would expect this.

4) Exhaust - from 0 -3500rpm the bike sounds and feels like a diesel flubbering up. It clears up after that, but what the heck ? I'm guessing it has something to do with that box at the bottom that I would say is a emission controller. Would get rid of that ASAP !

CAn't comment on how it handles on mountain roads or on dirt.

Guess now I'll try and test drive the BMW 650GS and see how it compares.

A Honda Dream 125 with knobbly tyres would fulfill all your needs. It even has a basket to carry stuff.
Not as daft as it sounds, especially if you are not in a hurrry, , :D ,we have seen these bikes in some unbeleivable places,. :)

Well - for practicality, or dirt roading, I don't think you can beat the Dream even if you don't look a the price. The Dream never breaks, and if it does, the next shop that can fix it is only 20 minutes away even out in the boonies. It's so light you can always hold it up. I. I've been through knee deep mud with one, up and down steep muddy hills, this bike goes anywhere.

But for riding pleasure you will want something bigger. I mean why take the bike at all? Because it's fun! And a bigger bike is more fun.

If you really need to have a bike in the 650 size, great, have a super time!!! and do not bother with the below....

But, if you think for a moment, that almost all of your driving will be in the city, and that you will not really be taking that many 120+KM/hr long drives, then do consider a Wave.

You can bore out the 125cc to 150cc for about 1500 baht.

You can change the front sprocket up one tooth, or buy a rear sprocket with fewer teeth for a couple of hundred baht to increase your top speed. Change the exhaust for 1500 and you are on your way to experiencing 100KM cruises.

You can buy a two year old 125 Wave for only 25,000, and with all of the above thrown in, less than another 3,000.

Repairs are very easy, and super cheap. Resale is very easy as well.

best of luck to you

What's wrong with the Nouvo Elegance with its liquid cooled 135 cc. engine stock? One of the guys here in the condo building has the Kawasaki 650 ER 6n in burnt orange and I'd probably love that bike--in the U.S. or elsewhere in Thailand where there's a lot more open road. But its seat has room for only one person. Most of the time I've got my Thai girlfriend riding with me. The seat's comfortable for two and at times for short hops I've even had a big guy riding with us. There's a nice little luggage compartment right under the seat so there's no need for extra luggage hanging off the rear end of my bike so someone can run into it. Also it's centrally located so the handling is entirely unaffected. Even with my girlfriend riding with me it's got all the power and speed one needs for the Pattaya area. Maintenance is practically non existent with no chains to stretch, keep adjusted, or oiled. As to the Honda Wave, it comes with skimpy tires although one can have one retrofitted with larger ones, hardly anyone does it. The Nouvo Elegance is heavier and more road worthy than a Wave. This is the second Nouvo I owned and over the three years I drove the first one, it was pretty much a case of use it when needed and forget it. The Nouvo Elegance is a much more easy bike to drive than any Wave, the power's always there with no need to rev the thing up in each gear to get the acceleration out of it, and it will out handle one, especially when you wind up putting a basket out on the front of a Wave right over the front tire in order to get any meaningful carrying capability out of it. Weighting up the front wheel is like trying to make a station wagon out of a Mazda Miata sports car with its perfect 50-50 weight distribution. Ever wonder why Mazda as its increased the comfort level, engine displacement and horsepower of its Miatas (from 116 horsepower to 170) from 1990 until 2009 has insisted on and kept a perfect 50-50 weight distribution through all those years? To maintain the Miata's great handling, that's why.

One of the guys here in the condo building has the Kawasaki 650 ER 6n in burnt orange and I'd probably love that bike--in the U.S. or elsewhere in Thailand where there's a lot more open road. But its seat has room for only one person.

What are you talking about ??

You havent looked at one with a seat cowl mounted and thought it doesnt come off did you ??

Hi guys,

JR

Do you have a pic?

• 6 months later...

Versys:

Overall Length 2,125 mm

Overall width 840 mm

Overall height 1,315 mm

Wheelbase 1,415 mm

Ground clearance 180 mm

Seat Height 840 mm

ER6n:

Overall Length 2,100 mm

Overall Width 760 mm

Overall Height 1,100 mm

Wheelbase 1,405 mm

Ground Clearance 140 mm

Seat Height 785 mm

Versys: 6cm taller, 1cm longer (wheelbase).