What Bike To Buy In Thailand

fm2002

Was recently up at Mityon on Sukhumvit Pattaya and saw the new Ninja 650's. Man I wanted to buy that bike right than and there. I decided to put some thought into it before making such a important investment. I would be doing about 70% on road and 30% off road. I would say 50% of my total driving would be in remote areas like Malaysia, Laos, Thailand and possibly Vietnam and Cambodia. So it has to be reliable and part availability friendly. Some of the time I would have my gf on the back.

Alright guys what bikes available in Thailand would be the best for me ???

Was recently up at Mityon on Sukhumvit Pattaya and saw the new Ninja 650's. Man I wanted to buy that bike right than and there. I decided to put some thought into it before making such a important investment. I would be doing about 70% on road and 30% off road. I would say 50% of my total driving would be in remote areas like Malaysia, Laos, Thailand and possibly Vietnam and Cambodia. So it has to be reliable and part availability friendly. Some of the time I would have my gf on the back.

Alright guys what bikes available in Thailand would be the best for me ???

Hi there the 650 ninja is certainly a nice bike...not sure if i would take that offroad. I think you should have a look into the Kawasaki d-tracker or Klx they are right if you are doing offroad trips- the klx is more offroad'ish than the d-tracker . But then again these both bikes aren't that great with a pillion. Depends how big/small you guys are :-) Try it out at a dealer near you and see how the feel is...both the Kawasaki d-tracker and the Kawasaki Klx are 250cc and go for about 149000 THB.

mbox

Edited by mbox

Hi fm,

Oh, you are here too :)

Good advice from thaicrb: yes Africa Twin is a great choice...

Sure BMW F650GS, single cylinder, is a great choice (I've one :D ). Then, have a look here:

<snip>

Some days ago I went by there and they were not sold yet! The owner/seller told me she was OK to low the price... She told me something about 350 or 360 KB...

About the new BMW F650GS (twin) I think it's a very new bike to find low cost 2nd hand ones (700 KB brand new!).

Good luck,

Gobs

Edited by soundman
Please don't link to other forums.

Hi fm,

Oh, you are here too :)

Good advice from thaicrb: yes Africa Twin is a great choice...

Sure BMW F650GS, single cylinder, is a great choice (I've one :D ). Then, have a look here:

<snip>

Some days ago I went by there and they were not sold yet! The owner/seller told me she was OK to low the price... She told me something about 350 or 360 KB...

About the new BMW F650GS (twin) I think it's a very new bike to find low cost 2nd hand ones (700 KB brand new!).

Good luck,

Gobs

I was thinking of the BMW 1200 GS

BMW-R1200-GS-Adventure.jpg

Edited by soundman
Fixed quote formatting.

Ah sorry fm...

Some mod "snip" the link :D

I know, I know... OK: no links here!.. I beg your pardon, Sir :) , but it was just to help... No involvement...

Well, fm, if interested, PM me I'll give it to you.

In brief: 2 bikes F650GS (single), year 2007, about 15000 km on the clocks, good condition, but tyres have to be changed and batteries a bit weak (IMHO)... One Titan blue and one Black... I tested them both and I think no problem. Just my feeling though: for sure you have to make your own idea!.. 360/350 KB (tagged price brand new in 2007: about 590 KB)...

Oh, and I heard of an Africa Twin 2 or 3 months ago! In Chiang Rai area... Maybe not sold yet, I don't know... Something like 25000 or 30000 km on the clock... Price, if I remember well, about 150 KB... I only saw some pics and seemed pretty good...

Maybe I can find the link...

Just don't throw your money in a hurry, fm, if you allow me to tell... Many opportunities, big choice and some good bikes to purchase if you realy search all over Thailand... Just take the time to find what is going to just suit your needs...

And don't listen too much the mermaid's songs: there are a lot in LOS!

Kawy 250 a bit small for pleasant trips with pillion IMHO: weak torque and power... But very good for some all around bike...

Good luck,

Gobs

Hi Thaifan2,

Yeah! Great idea!.. If fm2002 has some 1 MB to put on the board, no problem... although: not my cup of tea for riding in the mountain around Chiang Mai! I tried one: nice bike and this and that, but not a bicycle as the F650GS can be, well IMHO!

But on second hand market you can find some 1150GS for around 500 KB...

Oh, I forget: 2nd hand F650GS are in CNX...

Cheese!

Gobs

Since you're located in Pattaya go down to Motor zone in 3rd road he has one Transalp and 2 or 3 GS 650's there for sale with green book. Never asked the price but he is pretty resonable so it will be about 50k lower than what Red Baron would ask for them.

Anyway it was all there last week when I popped by, just a food for thought...

I would love to have the BMW, but Surfing Spleen makes a good point. I was recently on a ride in very remote Northern Vietnam where we were riding Russian Minsks. Now I know the BMW is not anything like the Minsk, but we broke down a few times and were always able to get it fixed w/o much delay.

I know the BMW is very very reliable but can you guys help me debate the tradeoff between being:

almost bulletproof w/o much remote support vs. more support (Honda) with a little less reliability.

Hi Thaifan2,

Yeah! Great idea!.. If fm2002 has some 1 MB to put on the board, no problem... although: not my cup of tea for riding in the mountain around Chiang Mai! I tried one: nice bike and this and that, but not a bicycle as the F650GS can be, well IMHO!

But on second hand market you can find some 1150GS for around 500 KB...

Oh, I forget: 2nd hand F650GS are in CNX...

Cheese!

Gobs

Hey Gobs. Saw your reply on GT, but as the Thread is receiving more interest here I'll reply here. As for my price range I would say 300,000 or less. Which would mean second hand for a BMW or new for other. To better explain my expected riding terrain. Let's say 40% roads like the loops north of Chiang Mai. I'm planning on a ride from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khon, Luang Namtha, Muang Sing, Pak Beng, forget the rest but re -enter Thailand at the border crossing north of Chiang Khon. Sounds like you may know this terrain. I would say 40% on terrain like this. The remaining 20% would be motorways & highways. I can do motorcross, but unless it's necessary won't be doing any of this.

On Gt Rider I read about 2 second hand BMW's for sale in CNX. There were 3, but the poster bought the Red one. I'm sure you are speaking of these same bikes. My major concern with second hand from a dealer is owner history. Was it owned by a conscientious person who takes great care or originally from a rental shop who is just offed it because of a problem ???

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated !

Since you're located in Pattaya go down to Motor zone in 3rd road he has one Transalp and 2 or 3 GS 650's there for sale with green book. Never asked the price but he is pretty resonable so it will be about 50k lower than what Red Baron would ask for them.

Anyway it was all there last week when I popped by, just a food for thought...

I'll go down tom. Where exactly on 3rd road is Motor Zone ? I am very familiar with 3rd road so you can maybe tell me a nearby well known business ?

Hi fm,

Maybe good to go for an Africa Twin, fm, or as Bard mentionned for a Transalp (more modern) if there is one in Pat'...

Though BMW is extremely reliable, in remote SEA areas, it's easier to get sorted of some problem with Honda bikes (even more true for AT). Furthermore AT and Transalp are bulletproof bikes, IMHO as reliable as a BMW (but not same type of bikes), and if well prepared/cared no hassles on the trip...

And touring SEA is not the Dakkar race, is it? Unless you are going to ride in some real an deep "no man's land", you are going to "meet" (kind) people even if you are not aware of their presence...

In fact, no really matter the bike if well prepared and cared...

Just to say, fm2002: I'm the poster of the thread on GT-Rider you are talking of, and yes, I bought the red one and I'm very pleased with it: a fantastic bike IMHO!

The "seller" is a "high end" rental company in CNX that want to renew its bikes with more modern ones (maybe F800GS it was said to me...). Bikes were serviced in Barcelona (BMW) Chiang Mai where I was able to check service and maintenance sheets about these bikes from delivery: nothing "special"...

For the record, about half a year ago, I had the same dilemna you get now... Though I rode with great pleasure a Yamaha FZ6F, I was not able to get access to some areas (but no enduro or motocross!). After turning around and around in my mind, I decided to put some more money on the table and went for a recent F650GS as a second bike.

post-41729-1251614273_thumb.jpg

Why?

1) I checked many Africa Twin and was every time desapointed by price (up to 250 KB one 2001 nice bike in Pattaya!) or condition/care or "legality" of the green book... In this time I didn't find any Transalp...

2) After enjoying riding a lot of carb-bikes (here and back home before), I prefer now injected engines handling... My age or lazyer, don't know, but no hassles: you turn the key on, press the starter button and woom!, always start-and-go first time even if parked 2 weeks before...

2) Injected engines allow you to fill your tank with 91 or 95 or (near) whatever petrol AND gasohol (even it's not the best, but you can if necessary!). Usually, carb bikes are not so flexible...

3) Nowadays EFI (2004 and up for F650GS and many other brands) is absolutely reliable, efficient and a pleasure (for me) to ride...

4) F650GS is a "light" bike compared to AT or Transalp: it is like a bicycle in any situation. Very, very easy to handle and never can't be surprised or feared...

5) Though F650GS has an austrian Rotax/Bombardier engine and was made in Italy in a Aprilia factory, it is a BMW designed bike with the best and the worst you can expect from a BMW bike: made for heavy duty jobs, reliable and that inimitable (?) BMW designed touch... but some irritating details and very expensive spare parts (beware to choose a "perfect" 2nd hand one!)...

6) And many things more: comfort, sound, softness... but I'm not going to write a novel, here!

I don't say here "I get the best bike". Nooooooo! Rather peaceful (50 hp), safety and reliable, this F650GS just perfectly fits my needs and feels for "light" offroad... that, I'm aware of, may not be the same as others... Many, many very good but different bikes. When choosing you have just to quote it: "yes (or not), this one I feel it is MY bike"!

Well, all this only my 25 Satangs!

Good luck fm and tell us what you decide and why...

Gobs

Hi fm,

Maybe good to go for an Africa Twin, fm, or as Bard mentionned for a Transalp (more modern) if there is one in Pat'...

Though BMW is extremely reliable, in remote SEA areas, it's easier to get sorted of some problem with Honda bikes (even more true for AT). Furthermore AT and Transalp are bulletproof bikes, IMHO as reliable as a BMW (but not same type of bikes), and if well prepared/cared no hassles on the trip...

And touring SEA is not the Dakkar race, is it? Unless you are going to ride in some real an deep "no man's land", you are going to "meet" (kind) people even if you are not aware of their presence...

In fact, no really matter the bike if well prepared and cared...

Just to say, fm2002: I'm the poster of the thread on GT-Rider you are talking of, and yes, I bought the red one and I'm very pleased with it: a fantastic bike IMHO!

The "seller" is a "high end" rental company in CNX that want to renew its bikes with more modern ones (maybe F800GS it was said to me...). Bikes were serviced in Barcelona (BMW) Chiang Mai where I was able to check service and maintenance sheets about these bikes from delivery: nothing "special"...

For the record, about half a year ago, I had the same dilemna you get now... Though I rode with great pleasure a Yamaha FZ6F, I was not able to get access to some areas (but no enduro or motocross!). After turning around and around in my mind, I decided to put some more money on the table and went for a recent F650GS as a second bike.

post-41729-1251614273_thumb.jpg

Why?

1) I checked many Africa Twin and was every time desapointed by price (up to 250 KB one 2001 nice bike in Pattaya!) or condition/care or "legality" of the green book... In this time I didn't find any Transalp...

2) After enjoying riding a lot of carb-bikes (here and back home before), I prefer now injected engines handling... My age or lazyer, don't know, but no hassles: you turn the key on, press the starter button and woom!, always start-and-go first time even if parked 2 weeks before...

2) Injected engines allow you to fill your tank with 91 or 95 or (near) whatever petrol AND gasohol (even it's not the best, but you can if necessary!). Usually, carb bikes are not so flexible...

3) Nowadays EFI (2004 and up for F650GS and many other brands) is absolutely reliable, efficient and a pleasure (for me) to ride...

4) F650GS is a "light" bike compared to AT or Transalp: it is like a bicycle in any situation. Very, very easy to handle and never can't be surprised or feared...

5) Though F650GS has an austrian Rotax/Bombardier engine and was made in Italy in a Aprilia factory, it is a BMW designed bike with the best and the worst you can expect from a BMW bike: made for heavy duty jobs, reliable and that inimitable (?) BMW designed touch... but some irritating details and very expensive spare parts (beware to choose a "perfect" 2nd hand one!)...

6) And many things more: comfort, sound, softness... but I'm not going to write a novel, here!

I don't say here "I get the best bike". Nooooooo! Rather peaceful (50 hp), safety and reliable, this F650GS just perfectly fits my needs and feels for "light" offroad... that, I'm aware of, may not be the same as others... Many, many very good but different bikes. When choosing you have just to quote it: "yes (or not), this one I feel it is MY bike"!

Well, all this only my 25 Satangs!

Good luck fm and tell us what you decide and why...

Gobs

I'm torn. I tell you a story. One afternoon about 2-3 years ago I'm sitting in a corner Indian restaurant in Pakse, Laos having lunch. While we are enjoying lunch a couple on a silver BMW bike rides up and stops. That was the first time I had seen the BMW bike that was made for both on road and off road. Not sure what size or what model, but I tell you I fell in love with that bike right than and there. At the same time I knew ( my friend had a road BMW back in the states ) that they were probably beyond my pay grade. Recently I have seen one parked on a few occasions just off Walking St. in Pattaya, a red one that I admire every time I see it. What to do ? I haven't even seen the Hondas' you mention up close yet and I'm sure there nice bikes, but I'm sure I'll always want the BMW.

Let me ask you a question. Why were the bikes you left behind and didn't buy inferior to the one you did ? Are they still there and if so what was the asking price ?

Thanks for all your input.

Frank

Edited by fm2002

If you intend doing any off road forget all the africa twins and gs bmws, ..ive ridden to and around cambodia around 15 times, the first time on a yamaha super tenere,( first and last time on that bike )..as soon you hit dirt on a bike like that you will see it is very hard work and impossible to ride on some bad roads, if sticking to the main roads, then fine ,a honda xr400 /drz400 or similar would be best ,i now use a yamaha wr,suits me fine, but im in the dirt 70-30,....have fun,ps, the klx 250 will do it all and is a good buy,, :)

post-62885-1251625603_thumb.jpg

post-62885-1251625614_thumb.jpg

post-62885-1251625625_thumb.jpg

post-62885-1251625632_thumb.jpg

Good for you if you can afford a BMW R 1200 G/S enduro or the like.

IMHO, for your purposes a 250 cc might work. A KLX or Tiger 250 with knobby tires? Forget top speed!

Anything might happen, chicken or a buffallo on the street. I would not go faster than 100...

Change the sprockett according to your needs to get better accelleration out of otherwise gutless 250 cc engines.

That Kawa 650 is both light and okay for your purpose as we.. When you look at used prices for an Africa Twin or a Transalp or a TDM 850,

the new Kawa may look really attractive!

A new bike under warranty should be your choice.

Enjoy your touring!

Chris

Good for you if you can afford a BMW R 1200 G/S enduro or the like.

IMHO, for your purposes a 250 cc might work. A KLX or Tiger 250 with knobby tires? Forget top speed!

Anything might happen, chicken or a buffallo on the street. I would not go faster than 100...

Change the sprockett according to your needs to get better accelleration out of otherwise gutless 250 cc engines.

That Kawa 650 is both light and okay for your purpose as we.. When you look at used prices for an Africa Twin or a Transalp or a TDM 850,

the new Kawa may look really attractive!

A new bike under warranty should be your choice.

Enjoy your touring!

Chris

Yes yes, what he said! +1

I think you said your budget is about 300,000 Baht, yes?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kawasaki Versys-

0_99999VERSBLK.jpg

Identical frame and engine as the Kawasaki Ninja 650R and ER6n, but dual sport suspension. Get the right tires and this baby just might fit the bill. Only problem is it's not made or sold in Thailand... Yet. Still, if you bought a brand new ER6n for 245,000 (or my used one for 200,000 :) ) I think you could probably import the bits needed to convert to Versys without too much difficulty.

All the guys up north are keeping their fingers crossed that some day Kawasaki will sell the KLR 650 in Thailand. It's made in Thailand and would be a great bike for touring SE Asia!

4.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Maybe not directly related with the posts here, but... in fact no matter the bike...

First of all, just have the guts!

post-41729-1251649205_thumb.jpg

As Superstylefactor did it on a KSR 110: 9000 km from Singapore to Laos and way back to Singapore...

A wonderful trip well accounted on the GT-Rider forum... :)

One can take a good lesson, here, and has to be humble in front of such character, determination and fun!

Hat down Superstylefactor!

Cheers to all,

Gobs

* Picture with courtesy of Superstylefactor

A Honda Dream 125 with knobbly tyres would fulfill all your needs. It even has a basket to carry stuff.

A Honda Dream is a Ladybike. Propharly the first which get stolen, as every local can drive or use as parts.

There's safety in numbers. The chance that your Honda dream amongst the multitude will be nicked is low.

0_99999VERSBLK.jpg

Identical frame and engine as the Kawasaki Ninja 650R and ER6n, but dual sport suspension. Get the right tires and this baby just might fit the bill. Only problem is it's not made or sold in Thailand... Yet. Still, if you bought a brand new ER6n for 245,000 (or my used one for 200,000 :) ) I think you could probably import the bits needed to convert to Versys without too much difficulty.

All the guys up north are keeping their fingers crossed that some day Kawasaki will sell the KLR 650 in Thailand. It's made in Thailand and would be a great bike for touring SE Asia!

4.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Hi Tony,

this is awesome....as you might remember i was still not convinced with the ER6-n fitting my purpose to 100%, as I really would like an Enduro type of bike...this would make it just perfect! A bit more legroom, upright riding position.

have you or anybody ever tried to put together such a kit for the Er6-n, to make it the Versys? At what cost?

I suppose Kwacker Thailand would not be helpful?

Cheers,

frank

0_99999VERSBLK.jpg

4.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Hi Tony,

this is awesome....as you might remember i was still not convinced with the ER6-n fitting my purpose to 100%, as I really would like an Enduro type of bike...this would make it just perfect! A bit more legroom, upright riding position.

have you or anybody ever tried to put together such a kit for the Er6-n, to make it the Versys? At what cost?

I suppose Kwacker Thailand would not be helpful?

Cheers,

frank

I'd buy the Versys in a minute. I have heard rumors that Kawasaki will release to the Thai market all the bikes they currently manufacture in Thailand. Not sure the Versys is one of them, but we can only hope. In addition my friend last night told me about the import taxes going away at the beginning of the year. Hopefully this will add some affordable bikes to the market. Not sure I can wait ???