Another Speedy Retirement Extension In Pattaya

This past week I obtained my annual retirement extension at Pattaya Immigrations, and it seemed even faster and less hectic than before.

While there seemed to be the usual-sized crowd of foreigners standing/sitting around, the retirement extensions desk (#8) moved very quickly.

In past years I would get my photo and photocopy of passport pages in advance. This year, I simply had a bank letter drawn up that morning on the way to Immigrations, and the income letter from the US Embassy I got the previous week. (I use the combination method: income + bank balance > B800k)

I let the copy shop next door do the photo and copying that morning. It's nice to just say "retirement" and they know which pages to copy.

When I first got to Immigrations, I thought I'd be smart and grab a number before going to the copy shop. But, as fast as the copy shop was, desk #8 was faster. When I returned to Immigrations, they were two numbers beyond the one I had. So, I took a new number and waited about two minutes before being called.

All my documents were in order (thanks to the copy shop) and including taking my photo with their web cam on a notebook computer, I was at the desk no longer than three minutes, and was referred to the senior officer at the desk behind #8. The lady officer there skimmed over my documents, converted my US$ income to THB, asked me if I rented or owned my residence, and told me to return the next day after 100pm. My visit to her desk was less than two minutes.

I returned two days later (I was busy the next day) and picked up my passport with new extension, got a re-entry permit (again using the copy shop to copy the appropriate pages) and did a 90-day report. The longest wait was to get my passport back after submitting it for the re-entry permit. That took about five minutes.

ALL the staff seemed to be smiley and friendly. I distinctly recall the re-entry permit desk fellow in past visits never cracking a smile. He wasn't rude, but wasn't friendly. This time he was, as were all the staff I noticed.

I do have a question about my re-entry permit: In the past, the number (which needs to be on the Arrival part of theTM-6 card) was "four digits / two-digit Thai calendar year," e.g. 1234/52. This year it's just a four digit number. Is that a change, or a mistake? Are the re-entry permits being issued this year without the year as an attached suffix?

PS: I had downloaded the MS Word-formatted TM-7 and TM-8 forms the night before and filled them out in MS Word before printing them.

Good the hear good news. I also think Pattaya immigration has gotten friendlier, that is, if you have all your ducks in a row. The last time I did my extension I witnessed them screaming at a very upset Scandanavian man with poor English who had a missing document. He was an old man and he was practically on the verge of tears, I didn't find that particularly friendly. There have also been reports that the copy shop you mention is not faultless, but perhaps they are getting better as well.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the post Wpcoe, good information and sounds like some positive improvements.

I used to go to Suan Plu at BKK, but they have theor problems there too (crowded, Visa agents jumping the line, etc)

My 90 day reports have been prompt and curteous. The last reentry permit wasn't; when I presented myself to the officer, I smiled and said "Sawasdee krab!" He glared at me and barked "Wait!" So much for trying to get along, LOL!

Immigration is just one of those things I have to endure if I want to live in Thailand :)

Thanks for the post Wpcoe, good information and sounds like some positive improvements.

I used to go to Suan Plu at BKK, but they have theor problems there too (crowded, Visa agents jumping the line, etc)

My 90 day reports have been prompt and curteous. The last reentry permit wasn't; when I presented myself to the officer, I smiled and said "Sawasdee krab!" He glared at me and barked "Wait!" So much for trying to get along, LOL!

Immigration is just one of those things I have to endure if I want to live in Thailand :)

I also do my retirement visa at Suan Phlu as my main residence (rented) is in BKK - however, I own a condo in Pattaya and visit regularly.

I did once get a proof of my Pattaya address from Pattaya and it was done most efficiently (they won't even provide me with one for my BKK home at Suan Phlu) - but Pattaya told me they could not provide one for my 'friend' who lives in BKK.

Does anyone know if I can renew my retirement visa in Pattaya if my main residence is in BKK?

Edited by Tyke