Race Tech Fork Springs

dave_boo

So, I finally broke down and opened the wallet (gasps are permitted) and bought a pair of Race Tech fork springs for my Ninjette. Question now arises; where to get them installed? I know that they go in the forks silly, but where can I find a competent mechanic, preferably in the Central Region of Thailand to install them? Would the Kawasaki dealership be up for the job?

FWIW, according to Race Tech's calculator, for street I needed 0,75 (ish) kg/mm and for racing I needed 0,812 kg/mm. I went heavy duty and got the 0,85 on the assumption that I like hard suspension and it shouldn't hurt anything....right?

Hi Dave,

The best option is to do it yourself, if you don't have the tools and are home when I am home come by and I'll help you change them. Did you get the fork oil with them as well?

Going heavier is not a problem it just make you feel every bump in the road much more. It will be a massive improvement over the soft suspension on the Ninjette for certain.

Cheers Bard

Hi Dave,

The best option is to do it yourself, if you don't have the tools and are home when I am home come by and I'll help you change them. Did you get the fork oil with them as well?

Going heavier is not a problem it just make you feel every bump in the road much more. It will be a massive improvement over the soft suspension on the Ninjette for certain.

Cheers Bard

I did not order any fork oil; was going to source that in Thailand. It's my understanding that plain-jane motor oil works well...is that not true? I don't have the tools either, that's the main reason I wanted to drop it off and pick it up. Add in the fact I've never messed around with fork shocks before I didn't want to waste time learning the ins and outs by trial and error.

I do like the feed back from a stiffer suspension; lets me know what's actually going on down there. Currently it's Gold Wing quality until the road gets gnarly then it's bottom out time. Shakira-esque shaking during fast sweepers isn't my idea of fun either.

It may be that, should our schedules cross, I'll take you up on your kind offer. I suppose a case or two of beer will help settle any debt incurred from your help?

I'm cheap, just pour beer in me and I'll work. :)

If not the mechanic Peter is using in Bangers is a good choice. I changed my suspension but also gold valves on the forks which is more time consuming. However simple enough, problem with Fork oil is that the viscosity stated is never ever the same. But just get some Motul it does the trick...

I'm cheap, just pour beer in me and I'll work. :)

If not the mechanic Peter is using in Bangers is a good choice. I changed my suspension but also gold valves on the forks which is more time consuming. However simple enough, problem with Fork oil is that the viscosity stated is never ever the same. But just get some Motul it does the trick...

Sounds like a plan. I was also looking at the Fork Emulator kit; is it worth the ~170 USD for street riding?

Makes you able to adjust rebounce and dampning of the forks for your preference. After you do the springs see if it's right for you, if you need to adjust the rebounce and/or dampning the gold valves or the emulator valves is the way to go. Way cheaper than changing to aftermarket shocks for sure.