Baby Bonus

lacoe74

Hi,

I am going to give birth in a few days and some people told me that we will get a baby bonus from the thai governement about 12,000B and then child allowance till 5 years old.

My husband and I are both foreigners and we have been living in Bangkok fr more than a year now. Do you know something about that? is that true ? We are on local contract and not expatriate one that's why I am quiet interested in...

Thank you very much,

Coe

The payment you have been told about is from Social Security. You can claim back 12,000 baht + they pay 350 baht per month for the first 5 years. You are only entitled to claim this if you have been paying into the social security fund for more than 12 months. Your employer would normally pay it directly out of your monthly salary.

Good luck!

Edited by apj696

Hi

we also inquired after this and were told there were lots of certified copies of documents you had to provide, including for example a notarised copy of your wedding certificate from the British Embassy, which then had to be translated & certified by a qualified translator approved by the Ministry of Education...

this info came from my husband's employer, so if you have differing info, please do let us know, cos so far, we haven't bothered...

The payment you have been told about is from Social Security. You can claim back 12,000 baht + they pay 350 baht per month for the first 5 years. You are only entitled to claim this if you have been paying into the social security fund for more than 12 months. Your employer would normally pay it directly out of your monthly salary.

Good luck!

Thats about it. For the birth payment, you have to have been paying into SS for 7 months, not 12 to get the payment.

:) I think someone is having a joke with you. The hospital might give you a small gift pack with a towel and a toy or something, but that's as good as it gets :D

Whoops, sorry, I stand corrected. You learn something new everyday - even here on Thaivisa :D

Our son was born here but as neither of us was working, we didn't uncover this initiative.

Still, we did get a nice gift pack though.

:) I think someone is having a joke with you. The hospital might give you a small gift pack with a towel and a toy or something, but that's as good as it gets :D

Whoops, sorry, I stand corrected. You learn something new everyday - even here on Thaivisa :D

Our son was born here but as neither of us was working, we didn't uncover this initiative.

Still, we did get a nice gift pack though.

I hope you aren't the author of your 'Investment guide to Thailand' then....

Good luck!

Hi

we also inquired after this and were told there were lots of certified copies of documents you had to provide, including for example a notarised copy of your wedding certificate from the British Embassy, which then had to be translated & certified by a qualified translator approved by the Ministry of Education...

this info came from my husband's employer, so if you have differing info, please do let us know, cos so far, we haven't bothered...

Apj was spot on. Not difficult at all, if one party is Thai. Just go down to your local security office with your passport, copy of wife's ID card/ passport, work permit, Thai marriage cert, child's birth certificate, and your national insurance card or number, plus photocopies of all these which you've signed to make life easy for their staff. Ask for the forms. Both parents need to sign. You should get the THB 12k there and then. The 350 per month can be paid directly into a Thai bank account. Not HSBC, Stanchart, Citi, etc.

Edited by WhiteShrek