Dual Sport Motorcycle Tire Recommendations

BigBikeBKK

Hi Guys!

I've been riding road bikes for 20+ years but have very little experience riding off road.

When the rains end I'd really like to plan some rides to Cambodia and Laos.

Understand the roads are often in poor repair and wouldn't feel comfortable taking my ER6n on dirt with road tires.

So- can anyone recommend some good dual sport tires for my ER6n and any Bangkok area shops that sell them?

Something like this Bridgestone TW152:

0000_Bridgestone_TW152_Trail_Wing_Dual_Sport_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

Or Continental Escapes:

escape.jpg

Never seen tires like these in any Bangkok shops (but then I've not really been looking)

Thanks guys!

Happy Trails,

Tony

So you made the decision to keep it then?

Well... yes and no :)

If someone wants to buy it, then it's still for sale.

But in the meantime I really want to start riding Laos and Cambodia and don't really want to take my Ninja 650R on crappy roads and dirt. So I figure what the hel_l- I'll give it a shot on the ER6n and see how it goes. If it proves a comfortable dual sport bike then yes, I'll probably just keep it.

There's talk that the Kawa KLR 650 may be available in Thailand soon- that would be, IMHO, the PERFECT dual sport bike for touring SE Asia.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi mate i do not know where you can get these in Thailand. But a guy from the vx800 forum has been using the Avon AM44 Distanzia Dual-Sport's on his Vx. So its certainly doable BUT you are going to have to use a rear tyre flipped around for the front as there are no 17" front tyres in dual sport treads. uummm ok well it seems that's wrong (the manufacturers need to update websites). Allan

Here's a test on some Pirelli MT60's http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/ka.../pirelli-tires/

here are some pictures.

post-62652-1251796257_thumb.jpg

post-62652-1251796358_thumb.jpg

Edited by thaicbr

This may help or just make your decision harder. I've been on a big percentage of roads in Laos and most were very good. I think you'll be very happy with your current bike and dual sport tires. I'm also considering the Er6n, but am trying to see if I can change the suspension to the Versys. Making it close to the BMX 650GS.

Never been to Cambodia on Bike, but heard the roads are unpredictable and can be very bad.

Hmmm... seems the obvious choices for Dual Sport / Enduro tires don't come in 160/60 sizes...

Paddock sells the Metzeler Tourance- Looks great...

tourancebig.jpg

...but the largest size for the Metzelers is 150/70 :D

ShowPow stocks some of these Pirelli Enduro tires-

ON-OFF-TyreRange3_03.gif

Again- the largest sizes available are the Scorpion MT 90 S/T or Scorpion Trail both of which are available in 150/70 sizes.

Pirelli makes a tire called the MT 60 RS Corsa that comes in a 120/70 front and 160/60 rear size which will be perfect for the ER6n but as luck would have it ShowPow doesn't stock it... :)

Not sure what kind of tires are available at DirtShop... Anyone know?

I'm reluctant to go down to a 150/70. I'll try to hit ShowPow and Dirtshop on Thursday to see what they've got in stock.

Happy Trails!

Tony

This may help or just make your decision harder. I've been on a big percentage of roads in Laos and most were very good. I think you'll be very happy with your current bike and dual sport tires. I'm also considering the Er6n, but am trying to see if I can change the suspension to the Versys. Making it close to the BMX 650GS.

Never been to Cambodia on Bike, but heard the roads are unpredictable and can be very bad.

I've been doing a little research to figure out the similarities and differences between the ER6n and Versys. They share the same engine (though tuned differently) and very similar frames.

Was surprised to learn that the Versys front fork is only an inch taller than the ER6n. 5.7" and 4.7" respectively. The Versys forks feature adjustable rebound and preload.

Geometry is a bit different- rake and trail on the Versys is 25°/4.3 in. The rake and trail on the ER6n is 24.5°/4.0 in. This gives the Versys a slightly longer wheelbase- 55.7" compared to 55.3" for the ER6n.

The Versys holds more fuel- 5 gallons vs 4.1 for the ER6n. Seat height for the two bikes is nearly identical- 33.1" for the Versys and 29.7" for the ER6n.

With the extra fuel and beefier suspension the Versys weighs 454 pounds compared to the ER6n at 450 pounds.

So, two very similar bikes but the Versys is a little taller and features fully adjustable suspension from and rear. The question is- how well will an ER6n handle dual sport riding compared to the slightly taller and more adjustable Versys?

Tony.. dont forget that the dual sport tyres tend to be chunkier and also thinner tyres are actually better off road, they cut through the crap rather than floating over it . did you have a chance to read that webbike report i posted they were using both Pirelli's on 2 different bikes. I had a look round on the Versys forum's and it looks like the Metzeler Tourance wears quickly.

Hi all,

I feel your "project" very interesting Tony... It could give some ideas to others...

About Metzeler Tourance.

I ride with these tyres on my F650GS (as original mount) and, though I'm not an expert, I have a good feeling with them. As Says thaicbr they are "soft" tyres and so have a good grip on tarmac and their softness/design "stick" on dirt roads, and they don't induce heavy rolling noises. But obviously they are not enduro tyres.

They wear very quicly if you drive your bike strong on tarmac... I bought R&F for about 8000 Bahts here in CNX.

I was too recommended to mount Bridgestone: less soft, longer life and a bit cheaper, and said as good as the Metzeler... Don't know... I stay with what I and the bike feel OK... Maybe am I too much European? :D

As says and explains too thaicbr, dual-purpose tyres are narrow and high profiled. No worry, they well do their job, as far as you don't use your ER6 as if you were cornering a racing day!

If I were you (but I'm not! :) ) and if I have the money (but for this I've not :D ), going the way you seem to choose, I should mount a 19" wheel on the front side, adapting the discs and mudguard... Like this you can mount the real dual-purpose F&R tyres, give you a bit better (+?/°:? don't know in English!) "not-angle-but-like-angle" to your fork, a bit more wheelbase and give you some more clearance under the engine (? 1" and more because the tyre sizes), all things better for the "soft" off-road you are speaking of...

Mounting a rear tyre on the front wheel seems to me not a good idea... Look at a Tourance and you will understand F&R have not the same specs, designs and engineering... Meaning not done for the same work! I suppose bike handling may suffer of this in case of emergency!

Mmmmmh, I'm going to follow your project with interest, Tony.

Cheers,

Gobs

So you made the decision to keep it then?

Well... yes and no :)

If someone wants to buy it, then it's still for sale.

But in the meantime I really want to start riding Laos and Cambodia and don't really want to take my Ninja 650R on crappy roads and dirt. So I figure what the hel_l- I'll give it a shot on the ER6n and see how it goes. If it proves a comfortable dual sport bike then yes, I'll probably just keep it.

There's talk that the Kawa KLR 650 may be available in Thailand soon- that would be, IMHO, the PERFECT dual sport bike for touring SE Asia.

Happy Trails!

Tony

I rode a BMW R1150R 50,000 miles on and off-road around the U.S. and Canada before coming to Thailand a couple of years ago. I have felt lost here without a decent MC, but I cannot afford to pay the price for such a machine in LOS with the 100% plus mark-up for imports. I am not well versed in the motorcycle market here and do not know what is available without the 100%+ mark-up. The Kawa KLR 650 would be a dream machine here. Does Kawa have a plant in LOS, or will there be the 100% mark-up if the KLR becomes available? How can I keep tabs on whether it becomes available? If it does not become available what is available in a decent dual sport worthy of 3,000+ km rides? Is there anything manufactured here besides the toy bikes and the Tigers? Thanks for any assistance. It is time, and I need to learn about the MC market here.

I rode a BMW R1150R 50,000 miles on and off-road around the U.S. and Canada before coming to Thailand a couple of years ago. I have felt lost here without a decent MC, but I cannot afford to pay the price for such a machine in LOS with the 100% plus mark-up for imports. I am not well versed in the motorcycle market here and do not know what is available without the 100%+ mark-up. The Kawa KLR 650 would be a dream machine here. Does Kawa have a plant in LOS, or will there be the 100% mark-up if the KLR becomes available? How can I keep tabs on whether it becomes available? If it does not become available what is available in a decent dual sport worthy of 3,000+ km rides? Is there anything manufactured here besides the toy bikes and the Tigers? Thanks for any assistance. It is time, and I need to learn about the MC market here.

Hi TongueThaied,

Kawasaki has a motorcycle plant in Rayong that produces the following:

Ninja 250R

KLX 250

D-Tracker (250)

KLR 650

ER6n

Ninja 650R

If I forgot any models I'm sure someone will add them.

All of the models listed above EXCEPT the KLR 650 are available here in Thailand at prices that are comparable to what we'd pay in the US. In other words, they are a REALLY GOOD DEAL compared to all of the imported bikes and their huge mark-ups.

Been hounding Kawasaki about the KLR 650 and they've said that they can't sell that bike in Thailand because it can't pass the strict Thai emissions test. Go figure, huh?! :)

BUT! Rumor has it that the 2010 KLR will meet Euro III emissions standards which means it SHOULD pass the Thai emissions test (which apparently is slightly different from the EURO III test)

So- keep your fingers crossed that we'll have the KLR 650 in Thailand soon! I'm sure the minute it becomes available you'll hear about it on dedicated motorcycle sites like the Golden Triangle Riders and Secret Soi Riders sites.

In the meantime I think I'm going to throw some enduro tires on my ER6n and see how it handles on dirt- should be fun! :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

My guess would then be 2010 or 2011 for the KLR650 in Thailand. I always wanted that bike but ATM the ER-6n handles so well on the road I wouldn't want to trade for anything else... compared to the D-Tracker, it's like night and day, and I'd expect the KLR650 to have a similar stance (e.g., high).

Hi TongueThaied,

Ninja 250R

KLX 250

D-Tracker (250)

KLR 650

ER6n

Ninja 650R

All of the models listed above EXCEPT the KLR 650 are available here in Thailand at prices that are comparable to what we'd pay in the US. In other words, they are a REALLY GOOD DEAL compared to all of the imported bikes and their huge mark-ups.

Been hounding Kawasaki about the KLR 650 and they've said that they can't sell that bike in Thailand because it can't pass the strict Thai emissions test. Go figure, huh?! :)

BUT! Rumor has it that the 2010 KLR will meet Euro III emissions standards which means it SHOULD pass the Thai emissions test (which apparently is slightly different from the EURO III test)

So- keep your fingers crossed that we'll have the KLR 650 in Thailand soon! I'm sure the minute it becomes available you'll hear about it on dedicated motorcycle sites like the Golden Triangle Riders and Secret Soi Riders sites.

In the meantime I think I'm going to throw some enduro tires on my ER6n and see how it handles on dirt- should be fun! :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

About 4 years ago, I went on basically all the roads in Northern Laos (in buses mostly) and they weren't bad at all with the exception of the Huay Xai>Luang Nam Tha road. It was just a mud bog from one end to the other. Buses wouldn't even run it for good reason. We ended up paying some serious 4x4 Hilux' to take us. In any case, that road has been built by China over the last few years. When I did it, it took a minimum of 8 hours if everything went smooth but it often took 12 hours or more. I have met people that have done it more recently and they say its a fairly smooth 3 hour bus trip now. So it sounds like the North must be in reasonably good shape everywhere now. I don't know about the south at all though. ON GT-rider I am sure you can get all the details of the current condition though.

Hi TongueThaied,

Ninja 250R

KLX 250

D-Tracker (250)

KLR 650

ER6n

Ninja 650R

Happy Trails!

Tony

Tony, thanks much for your reply. I will keep an eye on the situation. The KLR 650 seems the perfect bike for me as I am out in the sticks, and do most of my own mechanic work. If they add fuel injection for a Thai-legal machine, it only makes it more complicated.

The 22 year old technology is a great part of the appeal. So, for now, since the KLR 650 won't meet emission standards, I'll continue to drive my diesel pick-up around the country. It meets the standards and far be it from me to add to the pollution problem.icon4.gif

Hi TongueThaied,

Ninja 250R

KLX 250

D-Tracker (250)

KLR 650

ER6n

Ninja 650R

Happy Trails!

Tony

About 4 years ago, I went on basically all the roads in Northern Laos (in buses mostly) and they weren't bad at all with the exception of the Huay Xai>Luang Nam Tha road. It was just a mud bog from one end to the other. Buses wouldn't even run it for good reason. We ended up paying some serious 4x4 Hilux' to take us. In any case, that road has been built by China over the last few years. When I did it, it took a minimum of 8 hours if everything went smooth but it often took 12 hours or more. I have met people that have done it more recently and they say its a fairly smooth 3 hour bus trip now. So it sounds like the North must be in reasonably good shape everywhere now. I don't know about the south at all though. ON GT-rider I am sure you can get all the details of the current condition though.

Just did the road from Chiang Khong to Luang Namtha. It's pretty good now taking 3 1/2 hours (although heard of a recent washout). No problem with a ER6n.

Hi TongueThaied,

Ninja 250R

KLX 250

D-Tracker (250)

KLR 650

ER6n

Ninja 650R

Happy Trails!

Tony

Just did the road from Chiang Khong to Luang Namtha. It's pretty good now taking 3 1/2 hours (although heard of a recent washout). No problem with a ER6n.

Did you hit any other roads in Laos or did you head back the same way? If so, how were other roads, nothing too bad in the North than eh?

• 6 months later...
Any news on whether the KLR650 or Versys will be sold in Thailand soon?

KLR650 is still carbed hence can not pass Thai emissions, Versys is still made in Japan... Kawasaki has stated their intent to move more production to Thailand, but with global sales in a slump it's anyone's guess when that actually might happen... Maybe they'll have some news for us at the Bangkok Motor Show. :)