Television Repair

ChiangMai2

Hello TV

Does anyone have any suggestions on an independent television repair shop? Samsung has quoted 25k to get my telly repaired, it's a rear projection jobby that was 150k to buy 3 years ago. I was hoping to get more use out of it before changing it so would like to get it repaired. I thought this much older technology would be cheap to fix. I know things have come down a lot in the last 3 years but to get the same size again is still very expensive so it would be worth getting it fixed as opposed to just getting a new one.

I hope someone has experience in this and can help me?

Kind regards

CM2

Hello TV

Does anyone have any suggestions on an independent television repair shop? Samsung has quoted 25k to get my telly repaired, it's a rear projection jobby that was 150k to buy 3 years ago. I was hoping to get more use out of it before changing it so would like to get it repaired. I thought this much older technology would be cheap to fix. I know things have come down a lot in the last 3 years but to get the same size again is still very expensive so it would be worth getting it fixed as opposed to just getting a new one.

Kind regards

CM2

If the lamps need replacing then they are expensive so that may be the reason that the quote is high. A new Projector with screen would be about 25,000 so that would probably be a better option. It would be a pity to discard such an expensive TV. Did you get a breakdown of the cost of repair? How much was parts and how much was labour? How are you transporting it? Those things are big and heavy!! Try Niyom Panich near the airport or Siam TV in town. PM me if you need directions.

You could try the electronics repair shop in the back of Icon Plaza I believe it is. On the soi where the bakery is near the entrance to Fitness Thailand. They fix all kinds of electronics there. I took my ViewSonic LCD monitor there when it failed and they had it ready the following morning. 500 Baht. I saw them working on all kinds of stuff in there. I think their name was Amon or Amorn - something like that.

Thanks for that, will try the Amorn place, A thai friend mentioned there as well so hopefully they can do the job.

I bought it from Niyom and originally called them, as its out of warranty they just got Samsung to come and collect it. The thai translation of what is actually wrong with it didn't really register as I was still trying to get over my near seizure with regards to the price! They might be trying it on or as KH said something major needs replacing. Anyway a second opinion is worth a shot so thanks for the lead.

With regards to Kevin's suggestion of getting projector screen - Thats a great idea! if I can't get this fixed cost effectively.

On that note and out of interest do the retailers offer installation does anyone know? I image its quite a big job to get it done professionally, drilling into gypsum hanging ceiling, wiring the home cinema and UBC, computer, power etc. I wouldn't know where to start with that. Has anyone had it done? Is there a contractor that anyone can recommend or will the retailer ( Siam or Niyom ( I guess )) offer this service?

Thanks a million

CM2

Thanks for that, will try the Amorn place, A thai friend mentioned there as well so hopefully they can do the job.

I bought it from Niyom and originally called them, as its out of warranty they just got Samsung to come and collect it. The thai translation of what is actually wrong with it didn't really register as I was still trying to get over my near seizure with regards to the price! They might be trying it on or as KH said something major needs replacing. Anyway a second opinion is worth a shot so thanks for the lead.

With regards to Kevin's suggestion of getting projector screen - Thats a great idea! if I can't get this fixed cost effectively.

On that note and out of interest do the retailers offer installation does anyone know? I image its quite a big job to get it done professionally, drilling into gypsum hanging ceiling, wiring the home cinema and UBC, computer, power etc. I wouldn't know where to start with that. Has anyone had it done? Is there a contractor that anyone can recommend or will the retailer ( Siam or Niyom ( I guess )) offer this service?

Thanks a million

CM2

All you need is a shelf for the projector. That should be pretty easy. I got an odd-job man to knock one up for me. Then you need cables from your UBC to the projector which is just a case of measuring up and buying them. The electronics place in front of Computer Plaza either sells them or will make them up I think. If you need to see what's required pop intop my place one day and I'll show you how it's done. My projector is being cleaned at the moment and will be back up for the weekend's sports.

Hello TV

Kind regards

Not sure if you know your way around, but if you are willing to travel outside the

old city, in the Faham district, take underpass into Baan San Pi Sua. Near the first market called Kachow (my spelling sucks!) there are actually 2 shops on that main street. Very inexpensive. Good Luck!

CM2

Are you sure your TV out of warranty?? Niyom to me they are the biggest cheat in town. My 8kg Siemens washing machine broke down a couple months ago. I phone them to come fix, they said it is out of warranty so would(really Love) charge me (plenty). I called the Siemens call center, the lady confirmed to me the warranty is 2 years and my is only 12 and a half months old...I phoned the niyom back again and started shouting at them. They come can fix my washing and left with nothing. If you have a choice better not them.

Are you sure your TV out of warranty?? Niyom to me they are the biggest cheat in town. My 8kg Siemens washing machine broke down a couple months ago. I phone them to come fix, they said it is out of warranty so would(really Love) charge me (plenty). I called the Siemens call center, the lady confirmed to me the warranty is 2 years and my is only 12 and a half months old...I phoned the niyom back again and started shouting at them. They come can fix my washing and left with nothing. If you have a choice better not them.

It's rude to shout. (I blame the parents. :) )