Confused About How And Where To Get My New 1 Yr Multiple Ed Visa

I had a one year multiple ED visa because I am studying at university. After my first 3-months-extension I had a stay permitted until mid of August. I left to visit my parents and came back beginning of August, when the immigration officer at the airport told me that - although the stamp in my passport stated that I am permitted to stay until 15.8. - cannot use the visa anymore but have to get a new one. Someone later told me the reason was that I did not get a re-entry stamp before leaving the country to my parents. So I got a stamp for a 30 days tourist stay.

I went to my university in Bangkok where, after some days procedure, they gave me a letter in Thai and an additional letter in English. I went to the immigration in Bangkok where the immigration officer told me that the letter in Thai is for another 3-month-extension, but not for a visa change to a new ED visa. The letter in English, although the same which I originally used back in Germany to get my first 1 year ED visa (saying that I am a student at that university etc.), wasn't enough as well. He told me to go to the university again and ask for the correct letter.

Back at university, they told me I should leave the country and get a new visa at the border. The english letter that I am student there should be enough. So I went to visit Angkor Wat again and tried it at the border. But the immigration officer there told me that at the border they do not give any visa but only a 15-day-tourist-stay. I should go to the immigration in Bangkok instead. Discussion was useless, so now I got 15-days in my passport and do not know where and how to get a new 1-year ED visa, although I am regularly registered as a student here. Furthermore I am worried that, even getting any other letter from my university for a visa change, the remaining days of my tourist stay of course are not enough for the 21 days which are required for a visa change. Do I have to leave the country again, then come back with a flight to get a new 30-days-stamp so I have enough days for the required 21 days for a visa change?

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

You have to go to a embassy or consulate to get a visa. If you have the correct paperwork you can get a single entry visa at most nearby consulates.

You can go to Vientiane, KL or Penang to get it. Vientiane would probably be least expensive.

You have to go to a embassy or consulate to get a visa. If you have the correct paperwork you can get a single entry visa at most nearby consulates.

You can go to Vientiane, KL or Penang to get it. Vientiane would probably be least expensive.

Only a single entry visa? Because I need a 1 year multiple again, same like last time..

If you are able to extend - which that Thai letter seemed to provide - all you need is a single entry visa. You then extend every 90 days.

But I probably will go travel some more times, so I think I need a multiple entry visa?! Or can it be that I do not understand the meaning of a multiple entry visa.. I thought I need a multiple entry visa if I want to leave and come back during the time the visa is valid.

Unless it has expired already I suspect that you did not have a multiple entry visa or you would of gotten a 90 day entry instead of 30 and 15 days when you entered before.

My first visa was a 1 year multiple ED visa, which I got by the Thai consulate in my home country. It expired half year ago, but my stay was permitted until mid of august, so I thought I can still use that visa. Maybe I am wrong again, but that is how I now interpret what it is said on the immigration website, where they say "The Expiration Date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in Thailand, (...)"

The statement about experation dates and permits to stay only apply to visas. You have been on extensions of stay. So once your visa expired you had to get a re-entry permit to keep your extension valid.

You only need a single entry now that you are getting extensions.

If you want a multiple entry now you would have to go back to your home country or Perth Australia to get it. None of the nearby consulates will issue them.

You will need to get a re-entry permit every time before you leave. If you are only getting 90 day extensions then a single entry (1000 baht) would be what you would want to get. If you get a 1 year extension then a multiple re-entry (3800 baht) would be good. They will only be valid for the length of your extension when you apply for them at immigration.