Farang Robs Siam City Bank

PoorSucker

My Thai newspaper (Daily News) said the police found the money on him.

ตำรวจตรวจค้นในตัวของนาย Harold สุดท้ายพบเงินของกลาง 146,000 บาทซุกซ่อนอยู่ในกางเกงชั้นใน

The police searched Harold's person and eventually found the amount of 146,000 baht hidden in his underpants.

Things starting to look bad for him....or did the BIB shove a fist full of baht down his pants :):D:D

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw someone started a thread about should prospective forum members be given an IQ test. Maybe that idea could be expanded, every country should give passport applicants an IQ test. :)

What is the point of giving applicants an IQ test as it has nothing to do with common sense and as a mate of mine used to say back in England about a work colleague who was brainy but thick"He can work out the cubic capacity of a jam jar but he cant get the lid off".

Nowhere in the report did it mention that the robber had a gun - just pepper spray.

Actually it did inply that. See George's report , around 22 I think

He was arrested for armed robbery

Armed means to have a weapon and in this case the only weapon mentioned was the pepper spray

Nowhere in the report did it mention that the robber had a gun - just pepper spray.

Actually it did inply that. See George's report , around 22 I think

He was arrested for armed robbery

Armed means to have a weapon and in this case the only weapon mentioned was the pepper spray

I think we all know that if a farang ran into the bank waving his flip flop they'd call it armed robbery........

Pepper spay,knife,batton,gun....its all the same

I am always amazed by how little respect the police are shown on this forum. I am not saying all thai police are honest good standing citizens however they wouldn't have just grabbed the first farang they spotted. This story just seems to me like bad media reporting as normal and I would wait till we hear the full story.

My belief however after seeing the state of him and assuming he is totally skint then it is highly likely he did it. The thai press seem to just try to get the story out ASAP without facts, people moan about no proof but thats just in media not in the police's possesion.

It's strange the other day, there was a topic on here comparing Brits abroad in various countrys, the number of yanks that jumped on the band wagon taking the opportunity to give us a Brit bashing, "all the brits are scum", "all the brits are trouble-makers", "why don't the brits stay in their own country". (ha! - I haven't heard of any of them robbing banks, I remember a German guy doing it in Chonburi 6yrs back, and I remember a Norwegian holding up a gold store in Pattaya)

The number of people who come to this country and live on the bread-line is unbelievable, and in my line of business I see them all, so I can safely say there is definately a majority of one nation that pass through my doors who live in this situation (let's just say they didn't live the AMERICAN DREAM). My question is why do they do it to themselves, if you call living in Paradise - living out your life in a little box, not even a motorbike for transport, and penny pintching at every eatery (down the road its only 25bt, so why are you charging me 30bt), you really should be thinking of heading home, you are embarrasing yourself and your home-nation. All these people that I have come across, seem to be within 'the working age' have 2 legs & arms, and seem perfectly able. So go home, get a job, and come back when your life's in order, and stop inflicting your miserable way of life on the rest of us.

Way to many sad individuals in this country, spoiling it for the rest of us.

And to pre-empt anybody sticking up for these saddos and saying "look, some people just get dealt a bad hand", success is a journey not a destination. The problem with most of these low-lifes they haven't learnt to accept responsibility for their actions and love to blame others for their pit-falls, until they accept responsibility for their actions, their lives will never improve.

This is a good post with which I agree.

I live in Pattaya and it is scary to see the large number of low life, desperate, penniless farangs around.

Could not the Thai authorities do something to rid us of all this scum?

From the same paper:

จึงจำนนต่อหลักฐาน ยอมรับสารภาพว่าก่อเหตุ

[He] therefore accepted the evidence and confessed his guilt.

Did he give any reason's why he did this?

Silly,silly man!

A few things as reported in this story don't make any sense here...

--He had a gun, but the bank security guards and staff chased him and restrained him, until he pepper sprayed them??? Are you going to chase and restrain a guy with a gun???

--No mention of him having the cash on him. Yet the report makes it seem like he was captured soon after the heist...

--No mention if he was arrested in possession of a gun.

--No mention of what made the bank staff think this guy was the hooded, anonymous guy who robbed their bank...

I agree, most of the posting's seem to infer that this US citizen committed a crime.

All I can see from the 'official' reports is that a person was arrested near some discarded clothing, did he have the money?

Will we be getting a report soon saying that the alleged criminal has been released with no charge after DNA not matched ?

I agree about the IQ test tho.

1. 54 year old man in heavy clothes with a hood jumps over a high bank counter holding a weapon.

2. he then grabs money and puts it in his underwear and again jumps the counter with all that weight.

3. the security guard and his posse wait for him to start running out of the bank to give him an even chance to escape.

4. he then takes the guard and his posse on a jog through city streets into a park.

5. during his run he amazingly unrobes his bank robbers uniform and hides it.

6. he then turns and sprays every posse member in pursuit.

7. they all stop in their tracks and start to cry.

8. all this time he has run with 146,000 baht in his underwear???

9. the he is grabbed up and arrested by other police who happen to know exactly where to find him.

PLEASE let me be his defense attorney. I could get this guy acquited even in a Thai court based on the so called facts that we have read.

This would be voted down by every HOLLYWOOD studio as too dam_n unbelievable to be made into a movie. Why do these NEWS??? PAPERS??? report crap and not the NEWS? Get the facts then report...then you will have some credibility as a newspaper. What trash.

My Thai newspaper (Daily News) said the police found the money on him.

ตำรวจตรวจค้นในตัวของนาย Harold สุดท้ายพบเงินของกลาง 146,000 บาทซุกซ่อนอยู่ในกางเกงชั้นใน

The police searched Harold's person and eventually found the amount of 146,000 baht hidden in his underpants.

"Eventually" found it? So according to the reports, he was arrested, booked, interrogated, and during that initial interrogation he proclaimed his innocence, according to the new reports. But later on (eventually), they found the the money in his underpants? So at what point did they search him? Since he was accused of armed robbery, one would think that he would have been very thoroughly searched at the scene when he was first apprehended. If not then, when he arrived at the police station. 146,000 bank notes would have made quite a bulge, wouldn't it?

The parts just aren't fitting together here.

I saw someone started a thread about should prospective forum members be given an IQ test. Maybe that idea could be expanded, every country should give passport applicants an IQ test. :D

Nope: every country should let prospective parents pass an IQ test... Lower limit: IQ = room temperature (°C or °F ?). Instant end to overcrowded places, CO2 no issue, shorter queues at banks too :D

Oh yes well -- I know it's not quite politically correct... But hey, you need a license for this and a license for that (and permits and visas and what-have-you). Only having [low IQ] offsprings is a free-for-all... :)

Many countries classify pepper spray as a firearm, thats probably where the charge came from

as for the thai legal system, its based on the old french system. Key differences to the 'anglo saxon system' being:

The law tells you what you can do; everything else is illegal

there is no presumed guilt or innocence in the court:

The accused must provide evidence of innocence

The prosecution must provide evidence of guilt

I don't like the system, but its probably fairer than a jury of TV members.

And I have yet to see the obligatory photo of the bank staff pointing at him and him pointing at the money and cloths so he must be innocent :)

I am a firm believer in giving a test to all who want to come to Thailand before they get on the plane, weed out the fools and misfits. This is no place to be without a brain.

The planes would be empty

The bars would be empty

The beaches would be empty

BTW: did you pass the test ? :)

LaoPo

scarey thought considering who would create the test, and grade it.

thankfully you would probably be able to show the test grader the right baht note and BINGO

YOU PASS!

1. 54 year old man in heavy clothes with a hood jumps over a high bank counter holding a weapon.

2. he then grabs money and puts it in his underwear and again jumps the counter with all that weight.

3. the security guard and his posse wait for him to start running out of the bank to give him an even chance to escape.

4. he then takes the guard and his posse on a jog through city streets into a park.

5. during his run he amazingly unrobes his bank robbers uniform and hides it.

6. he then turns and sprays every posse member in pursuit.

7. they all stop in their tracks and start to cry.

8. all this time he has run with 146,000 baht in his underwear???

9. the he is grabbed up and arrested by other police who happen to know exactly where to find him.

PLEASE let me be his defense attorney. I could get this guy acquited even in a Thai court based on the so called facts that we have read.

This would be voted down by every HOLLYWOOD studio as too dam_n unbelievable to be made into a movie. Why do these NEWS??? PAPERS??? report crap and not the NEWS? Get the facts then report...then you will have some credibility as a newspaper. What trash.

Three stacks of 50 1000-bills is not that much.

Great headline…..I am still waiting for “Farang bites dog” though…that would be the ultimate

Maybe this guy is trying to follow the new route to American riches followed by that yettaw dude, the journo chicks in North Korea and others

• Commit crime abroad

• Get rescued by politico heavyweight

• Return to hero’s welcome

• Go on Larry King

• Start reality show, “Who wants to be a bank robber?”

• Write cookbook

• Retire very rich(but not in Thailand, becoz you are now on the blacklist)

American held after bank robbery

PATHUM THANI: -- An American man was yesterday apprehended following a bank robbery in Pathum Thani, in which he was implicated as the faceless lone robber.

Harold Guyier, 54, remains in custody of Pratoonam Chulalongkorn police after protesting his innocence. He has been charged with armed robbery, although police said they are still seeking further evidence.

Guyier was found not far from a Siam City Bank branch which had been robbed a short time before by a hooded person, thought to be a man. He told security guards and police he was merely "strolling around", even after police found a set of clothing worn by the lone robber discarded and hidden in a bush nearby.

According to police, the robber in a black hood entered the branch at noon, jumped over a counter to open a drawer and grabbed a stash of banknotes, totalling Bt148,600 and ran away. The robber said nothing during the five-minute heist.

No details are available about the robber's build and other distinctive details, but his clothing - a cream-coloured overall and a hat of the same colour, a black hood, a pair of sunglasses and a pair of black gloves, were all found abandoned in the bush.

Onlookers and the bank's security guards chased the robber and overpowered him in a struggle, before he shot pepper spray in their faces and made off.

Police said they were waiting for DNA-based test results to determine whether the clothing was worn by Guyier.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

Hmmm, they find him "near" the clothing. That sure is suspicious that in a crowded area he could be near stashed clothing. Am I the only one to notice that they didn't claim to find the money near him or on him? Sure seems suspicious.

PLUS no gun found-- and said person used Pepper Spray to temporary get away before recapture. Hmmmmmm suspicious tales????

American held after bank robbery

Onlookers and the bank's security guards chased the robber and overpowered him in a struggle, before he shot pepper spray in their faces and made off.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

:):D The only thing Ive ever see Thai security do when theres a problem is run alright..... the other way.

Am I thE only one who finds Thai secuerity in bank absolutely pitiful, CASH LYING AROUND DRWAERS OPEN NO SCREENS ETC SURPRISED MORE DONT GET ROBBED.

Edited by yabaaaa

:)

Still a lot of possibilities as to what happened,the papers are probably getting the info from the BIB who can say what they like,and make things look

how they like.....but on the other hand the man in the photo looked a little worse for ware and maybe was penny-less and desperate.

Story fails to mention about where the money went..

The foreigner was walking around and cloths in the bush. Why no cash found on him?

Given the robber didn't speak and wore a hood plus overall, it's possible he's not the right one. Could the police have just grabbed the first lone foreigner that they saw?

The photo caption is actually unfair and typical of the journalism here. We really don't know if he's the one or not and the caption doesn't say that the robber wore a hood and other cloths.

Edited by Junglejumbo

It's strange the other day, there was a topic on here comparing Brits abroad in various countrys, the number of yanks that jumped on the band wagon taking the opportunity to give us a Brit bashing, "all the brits are scum", "all the brits are trouble-makers", "why don't the brits stay in their own country". (ha! - I haven't heard of any of them robbing banks, I remember a German guy doing it in Chonburi 6yrs back, and I remember a Norwegian holding up a gold store in Pattaya)

The number of people who come to this country and live on the bread-line is unbelievable, and in my line of business I see them all, so I can safely say there is definately a majority of one nation that pass through my doors who live in this situation (let's just say they didn't live the AMERICAN DREAM). My question is why do they do it to themselves, if you call living in Paradise - living out your life in a little box, not even a motorbike for transport, and penny pintching at every eatery (down the road its only 25bt, so why are you charging me 30bt), you really should be thinking of heading home, you are embarrasing yourself and your home-nation. All these people that I have come across, seem to be within 'the working age' have 2 legs & arms, and seem perfectly able. So go home, get a job, and come back when your life's in order, and stop inflicting your miserable way of life on the rest of us.

Way to many sad individuals in this country, spoiling it for the rest of us.

And to pre-empt anybody sticking up for these saddos and saying "look, some people just get dealt a bad hand", success is a journey not a destination. The problem with most of these low-lifes they haven't learnt to accept responsibility for their actions and love to blame others for their pit-falls, until they accept responsibility for their actions, their lives will never improve.

I always find it fascinating when an intelligent and educated person looks past the ignorance of some that prejudice a conversation by stereotyping a country because of one ignorant person. What is even worse is when they indirectly point at an American… So I am guessing with such a large number, like 300 people dieing in one year riding motorcycles and they are all Brits, should one reasonable think that all Brits are ignorant….No!, but one could conclude that Americans are just better drivers….and not as good at robbing banks.

Many members on this forum seem to display an irrational jealousy of Americans. :)

Here here. Any jealousy of Americans would have to, by its nature, be irrational.

Bang Kwan is waiting for him, but who the heck gives flying shit? Go to hel_l.

I'd venture you'd give more than a flying shit if you were innocent and implicated of bank robbery.

I am a firm believer in giving a test to all who want to come to Thailand before they get on the plane, weed out the fools and misfits. This is no place to be without a brain.

Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes the tests are applied to everyone?? :-)

What sorts of questions would such a test have, pray tell?

Would it test for the most straight laced, law-abiding types? In so doing, would it expel non-conformist types? Not to my liking. I rather enjoy a place where people are free to be eccentric, creative, outspoken, non-conformist - as long as they're not harming others.

Some of the most straight laced law & order types do wind up harming others. An extreme example is the Spanish Inquisitor types - who admonish everyone to be perfectly correct (according to their dictates).

As for the alleged bank robber. Let's wait to pass judgment until it's clear he was the one.