Police Fine

Guderian

Hi,

I've been driving a Honda Click with a Thai-style sidecar attached since March. Today I got stopped by the cops on Jomtien Beach Road. I had all my papers, but still the guy issued me with a ticket. He seemed to be saying something like I had only paid tax for the motorbike, not for the sidecar. Well, that was news to me, nobody ever mentioned taxing the sidecar before. Is that right?

The fine was a bit steep, too, 1000 Baht. The guys I paid in the Soi 9 cop shop didn't seem willing or able to explain what the fine was for exactly. If anybody can read Thai, maybe the answer is written on the ticket:

post-51556-1251970334_thumb.jpg

Grateful for any insights.

G.

Hi,

I've been driving a Honda Click with a Thai-style sidecar attached since March. Today I got stopped by the cops on Jomtien Beach Road. I had all my papers, but still the guy issued me with a ticket. He seemed to be saying something like I had only paid tax for the motorbike, not for the sidecar. Well, that was news to me, nobody ever mentioned taxing the sidecar before. Is that right?

The fine was a bit steep, too, 1000 Baht. The guys I paid in the Soi 9 cop shop didn't seem willing or able to explain what the fine was for exactly. If anybody can read Thai, maybe the answer is written on the ticket:

G.

It says the fine is for modifying the bike. So have thousands of Thai's who sell, squid, T shirts, stickers, etc, etc.

This country and the police are getting completely out of hand. We are simply not wanted here.

Hi,

G.

It says the fine is for modifying the bike. So have thousands of Thai's who sell, squid, T shirts, stickers, etc, etc.

This country and the police are getting completely out of hand. We are simply not wanted here.

INDEED, HE GOT THE TICKET FOR NOT GOING TO THE LAND TRANSPORT OFFICE AFTER MODIFYING THE MOTORBIKE.

SO SORRY, BUT THAT IS THE LAW.

BUT THE FINE FOR THAT IS NOT 1000 BAHT, VERY MUCH LOWER.

AND ONLY PAYABLE IF YOU DID NOT GO TO THE LTO WITHIN 7 DAYS

ALSO THE AMOUNT PAYABLE SHOULD BE ON THE TICKET.

DID YOU GET A RECEIPT FOR THE FINE?

IF NOT, INDEED, YOU ARE HAD.

ALWAYS ASK FOR A RECEIPT FROM THE TICKET, THE NAME OF THE POLICEMAN (or number)

My BIL tells me that the ticket is probably booked as a ticket given to you for a second offence of the same kind.

Or, paying a former fine too late or not at all.

Edited by hansnl

Thanks for the replies.

This is the first time that I have been stopped by the police, in spite of passing many checkpoints in the past.

Yes, I've got a fine receipt for the 1000 Baht, duly signed. It's certainly not a "second offence", by the way, that was my very first trip to the Soi 9 cop shop in 5 years of living in Pattaya, and almost 6 months of driving here. I've certainly never been given any fines before. So I assume that what's written on the the ticket basically says something like, "This farang looks like a real sucker, screw him for as much as you can get"?

I asked the cop who issued the ticket how much it would cost, and he just said, "They will tell you at the station." Sounds a bit like the lottery.

So the story about paying more road tax for the motorbike isn't quite true? Or is there a higher rate of road tax for a bike plus sidecar? Nobody told me I had to take it to the Banglamung office, but ignorance of the law is no defence, etc., I suppose :) .

Cheers for the information, anyway.

Edited by Guderian

Thanks for the replies.

This is the first time that I have been stopped by the police, in spite of passing many checkpoints in the past.

Yes, I've got a fine receipt for the 1000 Baht, duly signed. It's certainly not a "second offence", by the way, that was my very first trip to the Soi 9 cop shop in 5 years of living in Pattaya, and almost 6 months of driving here. I've certainly never been given any fines before. So I assume that what's written on the the ticket basically says something like, "This farang looks like a real sucker, screw him for as much as you can get"?

I asked the cop who issued the ticket how much it would cost, and he just said, "They will tell you at the station." Sounds a bit like the lottery.

So the story about paying more road tax for the motorbike isn't quite true? Or is there a higher rate of road tax for a bike plus sidecar? Nobody told me I had to take it to the Banglamung office, but ignorance of the law is no defence, etc., I suppose :) .

Cheers for the information, anyway.

Not sure about motorbikes but, I recently fitted a Carryboy cover on my Toyota Vigo and paid an extra 100 or so Baht in tax.

Hi,

G.

Im inclined to disagree, they love us here, who else could they milk for this sort of money, my friend was stopped on a standard cbr150 and told his muffler was too loud, the bike is standard, he too was fined 1000 baht with no negotiations,..cops are crooked and yes i know its part of thai culture, but it still pisses me off when they do this :)

I no longer stop for this unit of organised crime in Thailand. Unless they're waving a gun or physically blocking me in, I ride off. I don't think there's much of a chance of them chasing, let alone catching me. But they could always radio ahead I guess. You take your chances.

So, they also fine you for bike modifications and loud mufflers etc.?  :)

mods-1.jpg

I'm f*cked then!   :D

Edited by RusticCharm

One more question - if anyone knows the answer - do I have to physically take the bike/sidecar all the way to the registration place (which I assume is the same as the driving licence office by Regent's School?)? Or can I just take the bike's green book, catch a taxi, and tell them that I've added a sidecar and I want to pay the extra tax?

Thanks.

G.

Edited by Guderian

One more question - if anyone knows the answer - do I have to physically take the bike/sidecar all the way to the registration place (which I assume is the same as the driving licence office by Regent's School?)? Or can I just take the bike's green book, catch a taxi, and tell them that I've added a sidecar and I want to pay the extra tax?

Thanks.

I don't know the answer, and I bet none of the Thai's who drive motorcycle sidecar outfits know either, but I doubt this option will work. Unless anyone can advise you better I would say make one journey instead of two. I know it's only a small bike, but it's still not that far, just enjoy the ride. Yes, it is the place next to Regents school.

Never know here, I hate having to do anything with authorities, umpteen photocopies of everything they can think of in triplicate, and always there is a "problem" which needs "fixing" with a back hander.

Sometime we can be surprised though, I recently lost my driving license, I was dreading going, and it was a piece of cake, very easy. I hope it's easy with your sidecar, please let us know, thanks.

You need to go otherwise you are open to 1000B fine every few days.

I no longer stop for this unit of organised crime in Thailand. Unless they're waving a gun or physically blocking me in, I ride off. I don't think there's much of a chance of them chasing, let alone catching me. But they could always radio ahead I guess. You take your chances.

So far it only seems to be small bikes, I know of several Thai's who have had problems with aftermarket parts, stopped and fined. Never heard of anyone with a big bike getting a problem, don't worry. I do exactly the same as you, unless the road is physically blocked, I don't stop, I don't even look at them, just straight ahead, so far no problems. I don't respect them as legitimate police, simply organized crime, so why stop for extortion?

Is that a Ducati?

Now that lesson one is over with and your 1,000b down, I would consider keeping a 100b note with your driving license and hope problems disappear as fast as your 100b note.

Unfortunetly, I cannot imagine one of those bikes with a bit of scaffolding on the side, getting away from anything including the Police. :)

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Now that lesson one is over with and your 1,000b down, I would consider keeping a 100b note with your driving license and hope problems disappear as fast as your 100b note.

Unfortunetly, I cannot imagine one of those bikes with a bit of scaffolding on the side, getting away from anything including the Police. :)

Dave

I doubt if the old 100 Baht in the licence trick would have worked, to be honest. According to what's posted above, and what I have learnt since, the fine for not having the right tax should have been 300 or 400 Baht. They stuck me with a 1000 Baht fine by writing in Thai that this was a second offence, or I had not paid a fine, both of which are untrue. So the cop was after 600 or 700 Baht extra, I don't think he would have been interested in a 100 Baht note. Looks like I was simply stitched up as a "rich" farang and an easier source of money than a Thai would have been. Seems that Pattaya's finest are getting even greedier...

As for running the road block, I don't think I'd risk it. Not hard for them to take your bike's number, find out your address and passport number from the registration, and if that address isn't up to date then Immigration will likely have your current address if you're living here and making 90 day reports. Maybe that would be a lot more work than the average cop would be interested in, so perhaps it's not likely that they would do this, but there's always a chance.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, looks like a trip up route 36 is on the cards.

So far it only seems to be small bikes, I know of several Thai's who have had problems with aftermarket parts, stopped and fined. Never heard of anyone with a big bike getting a problem, don't worry. I do exactly the same as you, unless the road is physically blocked, I don't stop, I don't even look at them, just straight ahead, so far no problems. I don't respect them as legitimate police, simply organized crime, so why stop for extortion?

Is that a Ducati?

Few times I have seen cars not stopping at police check and it seems that nobody took the car plate number or tried to chase it, so maybe it's too much work for them ?

mods-1.jpg

Down here a jnr cop recently pulled out his gun and shot a thai id for no other reason than he didnt stop at the police block !!

the loss of face at not immediately doing as commanded and pop got shot.. Then the police went round to the hospital with the commander and offered 4k baht payment to shut him up demanding he not speak to the press !!

BTW sidecars added onto scooters (saleang) is illegal and cannot be truly legalized.

Thanks.

G.

Cannot be legalized. Simple as that.

There is a push here on Phuket to get them gone but of course the 'poor Thais' excuse for not sticking to the laws of the land is used non stop.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=168

Are sidecars legal?

I have a motorbike with sidecar. I have been told that such vehicles are illegal in Thailand and that I will not be able to insure it. Is this true?

Samlor, Kata. Monday, April 23, 2001

“Yes, it is. There is no Thai law that allows a motorcycle with a sidecar to be legally registered. This means they cannot be legitimately insured.

Therefore, all motorcycles with sidecars are illegal. Motorcycles are the only two-wheel vehicles that may be legally registered and be legitimately insured.”

Monday, April 23, 2001 Somjit Boonchaoy, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.

“We don’t have a policy to stop motorcycles with sidecars, because people use them to earn a living. What we do is to compromise; we ask that owners attach a light to the front of the sidecar so that other vehicles can see them at night.”

Friday, June 29, 2001 Pol Capt Chao Pomna, Deputy Inspector for Traffic, Phuket Town Police Station.

there was an embarrassing issue where the local council got gov funding and spent it on 50 saleangs to give to the local businesses (as bribes for moving stall pitches IIRC) then the police pointed out they were not legal on Thai roads !! Erm opps !!

As I also mentioned earlier, my understanding was that they were all illegal in Thailand regardless. Imagine my surprise when during a recent trip to Ao Nang Beach in Krabi I found the local variation of the Tuk Tuk there was a motorcycle with sidecar fitted to carry passengers!! So it looks like the police have decided not to enforce that law in that part of Krabi just as the Phuket police have stated they won't enforce it if people need it to make a living and attach lights to the sidecar as stated here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=168 By those criteria, it should make it illegal for a farang, who presumably isn't impoverished enough to need a sidecar on a motorbike to survive. (I have yet to see a farang selling Dim Sum from their sidecar along the road.) Although I did see a farang at Villa Market in Chalong the other day driving a Walls ice cream vendor side car. One of the biggest "<deleted>'s" I ever seen!

TIT!

Edited by Scubabuddha

Down here a jnr cop recently pulled out his gun and shot a thai id for no other reason than he didnt stop at the police block !!

the loss of face at not immediately doing as commanded and pop got shot.. Then the police went round to the hospital with the commander and offered 4k baht payment to shut him up demanding he not speak to the press !!

BTW sidecars added onto scooters (saleang) is illegal and cannot be truly legalized.

As well I just read in another thread a board member recently saw the police throw 5 traffic cones in the path of a motorbike running a checkpoint to make it stop almost making them crash. Scary stuff. Not sure running checkpoints would work in Phuket. To small an area here. They would defiantly get to know you and your bike the first time you tried this. (So Katabeachbum don't run checkpoints k? We have identical bikes :) )

Edited by Scubabuddha

I used to see a little person (by that I am being PC for dwarf / midget) on Nanai sometimes who has a mio or similar with a side car to provide balance.. Hes sort of stood in the footwell riding around and I can see how it gives him mobility which he otherwise wouldnt have.

No idea how much thats tolerated.

I've checked further with the assistance of a helpful Thai lady who speaks good English working in the condo office at the place where I live. She was patient, and after about an hour of phoning around and getting passed from one person to another, she ended up talking to somebody with a title like "Chief Technician, Transport Department of Chonburi Province". This guy apparently knows the rules, and he explained that currently the only bike that can have a sidecar legally attached in Thailand is a Tiger. (I didn't find out why that is - 100% Thai bike maybe, as opposed to imported Hondas, etc.?) Anyway, he was clear enough that everything else is illegal. I asked if it was worth tripping out to the Land Transport Office and getting the modifications included in the tabien rot, but he said that there is no point as the sidecar will still be illegal.

That's the best "official" information I have been able to find. Of course, YMMV and the Chief Technician in a different Changwat may tell you otherwise. I'm hoping I was just unlucky getting stopped by a very hungry cop. If it becomes a regular occurrence I will just have to get rid of the sidecar I guess.

Edited by Guderian

got fined the other day 500 baht for passing an alcohol breath test at the silom checkpoint. No ticket though, of course. Just wouldnt let me have my license back without the "fine".

And you paid it ???

OK, I wasn't there so I've no idea how threatening the Police officer was, but my guess is that he was simply trying it on and you paid up. I think we should all stand firm (Politely so) up to a certain degree.

Now, as I mentioned above, I wasn't there so I don't know the true situation.

However, given similar circumstances, when the officer asks for 500B I would chuckle / smile and say 'nice try'... ok license back now please. Failing that, the phone comes out and a call gets made (I'd like to point out that I've never had to make 'The Call' - but if things are getting worse, it's only a matter of time !)...

If I've done nothing wrong NO money gets paid. I don't mind paying a minor fine for making an innocent mistake however.

Side Car Issue: It seems to me that a blind eye is turned in favor of low-income-business related purposes (i.e. food vendors etc) and that the interpretation of what ever law there is, is down to the individual Police man.

Edited by richard_smith237