Single 60 Day Tourist Visa

I was searching the internet for convenient locations to get a 'single' 60 day tourist visa later this month. I want to fly to a location (from Bangkok) which would save time.

Here is some information I found:

Laos: Flight is expensive from Bangkok

Malaysia: Penang has some visa issues. Kuala Lumpur seems ok.

Singapore: Flight seems ok. Accommodations are more expensive.

Vietnam: Flight is cheaper (probably the option I will choose). Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) or Hanoi?

Any comments or other options.

There are not enough reports about Vietnam but if I recall correctly they will want to see a ticket out of Thailand within the 60 days.

KL is not a problem, Penang is ok if you have not gotten a visa from them before and extended it.

Singapore you will have to have a return or onward ticket.

You can fly to Udon if you want to go to Vientiane. From Udon it is a short to trip to the bridge and then into Vientiane.

Edited by ubonjoe

There are not enough reports about Vietnam but if I recall correctly they will want to see a ticket out of Thailand within the 60 days.

KL is not a problem, Penang is ok if you have not gotten a visa from them before and extended it.

Are KL issuing 90 day Non O Visas ?

What about Phnom Penh for a Tourist Visa Single Entry?

If you compare ticket prices don't forget about the Visa costs for the destination country (Laos: 35 USD, Cambodia: 20 USD, Malaysia: free, Singapore: ?, Vietnam: ?)

Phnom Penh is 2 days or more to get visa unless you pay a special fee.

But then it is even the same day (about 16:30)! :)

(fee is 15 USD, and if you find an agent near your guest house, you save yourself two trips to the embassy).

Btw I don't want to advocate Phnom Penh, I just try to increase the level of information about PP on this board.

welo

As you are considering Vietnam, take into account the visa costs. No visa on arrival as Cambodia or Laos (Singapore and Malaysia are visa exempt for many nationalities).

You need to either obtain a visa at their embassy at Wittayu, (next day service at 2500 baht) or get a pre approved visa on arrival using travel agencies on the web, this options is even more expensive, as you pay for the approval and on arrival you also pay a stamp fee.

Phnom Penh is 2 days or more to get visa unless you pay a special fee.

But then it is even the same day (about 16:30)! :)

(fee is 15 USD, and if you find an agent near your guest house, you save yourself two trips to the embassy).

Btw I don't want to advocate Phnom Penh, I just try to increase the level of information about PP on this board.

welo

I don't normally reccomenrecommendd going there because of all the negative reports. Unfriendly staff and the 2 day visa issue and etc.

Even a report of waiting several days to get the visa because they were to busy to do it because the minister of the MFA was in town.

You can fly to Udon if you want to go to Vientiane. From Udon it is a short to trip to the bridge and then into Vientiane.

I read that Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) should be ok to get a visa. It's interesting that a ticket out of Thailand within the 60 days is needed since the 60 day tourist visa can be extended for 30 days at immigration. I would rather keep my options open as to when and where my next flight will be.

If you compare ticket prices don't forget about the Visa costs for the destination country (Laos: 35 USD, Cambodia: 20 USD, Malaysia: free, Singapore: ?, Vietnam: ?)

I checked into the Visa fees for Vietnam and it is $20 just to get a pre-approved letter from an online website. After arriving at the airport, there is another 'stamp fee'. I haven't got a response back yet, but I think its around $25 minimum up to $100 for different type of visas.

Cambodia seems to be the cheapest in terms of flight costs, accommodations and visa fees. I don't mind paying $15 to get it done in one day. Its just Phnom Penh doesn't seem to be that interesting of a city to visit.

With the no-cost visa in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) that puts the cost around the same as Vietnam.

I would consider Penang but I thought I read that any prior 60 day visas from any country would cause a problem (not just a past one from Penang). I have one from Laos, which is why I am not considering traveling to Laos since I already visited Vientienne.

I don't normally reccomend going there [Phnom Penh] because of all the negative reports. Unfriendly staff and the 2 day visa issue and etc.

Even a report of waiting several days to get the visa because they were to busy to do it because the minister of the MFA was in town.

Yeah, I've seen those reports. I wonder whether this is maybe all strategy to promote the 'same day' service. Just speculation.

welo

• 3 weeks later...