Norwegian Ex-tourist Police Volunteer Arrested In Pattaya For Drugs Dealing

Rimmer

16.5 years.

:lock:

Is that what he got in the end? They must have convicted him on the drugs charge for that sentence, disbelieving the "plant" defence. Had it just been a gun he'd probably be on his way home by now courtesy of an extra-judicial backander.

My understanding is that he got 17 years and a fine of 800,000 Baht, and the sentence was reduced by six months because he admitted guilt on the gun charge.

I also understand Johansen intends to appeal, however it will be another 2 years at least before this is heard.

I think all he can hope for now is a transfer to Norway (apparently he will be eligible after 7 years) or a King's pardon. I don't think many people could survive 16.5 years in a Thai prison.

I feel sorry for him. If I were in his situation I would be psychologically crushed right now.

16.5 years.

Is that what he got in the end? They must have convicted him on the drugs charge for that sentence, disbelieving the "plant" defence. Had it just been a gun he'd probably be on his way home by now courtesy of an extra-judicial backander.

My understanding is that he got 17 years and a fine of 800,000 Baht, and the sentence was reduced by six months because he admitted guilt on the gun charge.

I also understand Johansen intends to appeal, however it will be another 2 years at least before this is heard.

I think all he can hope for now is a transfer to Norway (apparently he will be eligible after 7 years) or a King's pardon. I don't think many people could survive 16.5 years in a Thai prison.

I feel sorry for him. If I were in his situation I would be psychologically crushed right now.

You'd be surprised.

Thai jail ain't that bad if you have money, I know people who have served time here, I have visited them, and if they had money and goods to barter, their life was good compared to the Local Thai prison population.

I knew a guy that was in Chonburi prison and for a price he stayed in the medical unit in his own bed at night, cost him 4000 baht per month.

Years ago there was a Farang from Pattaya in Chonburi prison who would be taken out by prison guards to Pattaya to the bars and clubs, everything is or certainly was available for a price.

Japanese prisons are far worse than Thai prisons.

16.5 years.

You'd be surprised.

Thai jail ain't that bad if you have money, I know people who have served time here, I have visited them, and if they had money and goods to barter, their life was good compared to the Local Thai prison population.

I knew a guy that was in Chonburi prison and for a price he stayed in the medical unit in his own bed at night, cost him 4000 baht per month.

Years ago there was a Farang from Pattaya in Chonburi prison who would be taken out by prison guards to Pattaya to the bars and clubs, everything is or certainly was available for a price.

Japanese prisons are far worse than Thai prisons.

Thanks, you make some excellent points. I remember a few years ago a story in the Bangkok post about a Thai businessman who was serving a lengthy sentence and yet was regularly spotted outside of jail going about a normal life apparently.

I suppose his Norwegian disability pension will help out too ... that's at least THB20,000 per month ...

Also, the Norwegians tend to look after their own I think ... so I doubt he will be forgotten or left to rot in jail.

Presumably with enough money one could shave a few years off one's sentence ... not sure if they have parole in Thailand ... ?