Suvarnabhumi Airport Link Sets Soft Launch For December 5

george

Suvarnabhumi Airport Link sets soft launch for December 5

BANGKOK: -- The long-delayed Airport Rail Link project, providing direct rail service to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport, will start providing free service to the public from this December 5 which coincides with the birthday celebrations of His Majesty the King, said State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Yuthana Tupcharoen.

People interested in free rides on December 5 may apply for tickets beginning October 1 at either the Airport Rail Link office or at SRT headquarters, Mr. Yuthana said.

Test runs of the system have been conducted since February by Siemens, the manufacturer and installer of the rail system, and no problems have been found. However, independent engineers will inspect the safety system for the next three months and if no problems are found, the system will be ready for operation.

The SRT board has also hired Deutsche Bahn International of Germany for Bt85 million to train Airport Rail Link staff. The board exports to launch the system on December 5, Mr Yuttana added.

The 28-km rail link connects Suvarnabhumi International Airport in adjacent Samut Prakan province and the City Air Terminal in Bangkok’s Makkasan area.

The Airport Rail Link is owned and will be operated by SRT, through a subsidiary company, which will administer the overall operations.

According to a preliminary study, the fare for an express trip will be Bt150 per person, while fares for the City Line commuter trips, will vary from Bt30-50 per passenger.

Transport for airport express riders and local commuters will run on the same track with the same equipment, but with a staggered schedule.

Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-05

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its awesome to hear SOME positive news in all the negatives of recent. I do love living here and i think this will help ALOt as ALOt of tourist first experience of Thailand is the taxi's which try to rip them off within 5 mins of tourist landing so this will help atleast give me an hours break before they get fleeced

kidding... well done Thailand!

It all depends how much the service costs, the tourists will still have to get a cab at the other end, i'll just use a taxi from the top floor at the airport as always and avoid the 50 baht sting. :)

I read somewhere couple of month ago a ride may cost between 15-150 Baht depending on what kind of train service you choose. Fast train (no stops 150 Baht) or stop at every station (between 15-45 Baht).

December 5th would be His Majesty's birthday, and a very fitting tribute indeed. Was that put together very quickly or have I just been asleep. How awesome is that to have a BTS go to the airport? I think this is wonderful.

But this is not the BTS, right??

Its not BTS. BTS is Skytrain

Where is Makkasan area? How close (or far) is it from everything else, like Sukhumvit, MBK, Silom, Victory Monument?

The BKK terminus is by Phaya Thai BTS station on the sukhumvit line. As lumps of concrete go, it doesn't look too bad either :-)

Financial benefits a really arguable here. Taxi cost about 350 thb door to door. For a single traveller, that could make it. For 2, that starts to be a little more difficult. 3 or 4 and it is definitely more expensive. How many travellers are travelling alone ???

December 5th would be His Majesty's birthday, and a very fitting tribute indeed. Was that put together very quickly or have I just been asleep. How awesome is that to have a BTS go to the airport? I think this is wonderful.

ok, it's not the BTS, can you please share with us what it is. It seems like you know, but you're not telling, come on, tell us pleeaase!

Where is Makkasan area? How close (or far) is it from everything else, like Sukhumvit, MBK, Silom, Victory Monument?

Makkasan starts from Ramkhamhaeng and goes along Petchburi road, but u the link goes upto PhayaThai, which is very close to MBK. So there should be no problem in the transfer (at least I think so)

ok, it's not the BTS, can you please share with us what it is. It seems like you know, but you're not telling, come on, tell us pleeaase!

Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link (SARL). SARL seems to be the name of the service and operator. Thats what I was told.

Like BTS or MRT.

Financial benefits a really arguable here. Taxi cost about 350 thb door to door. For a single traveller, that could make it. For 2, that starts to be a little more difficult. 3 or 4 and it is definitely more expensive. How many travellers are travelling alone ???

Anything that's not a taxi is good :) .

It is run by the SRT (State Railway of Thailand), the same company that runs all other trains in Thailand except the BTS and MRTA (not sure about the acronym MRTA, I mean the subway)

opalhort

its awesome to hear SOME positive news in all the negatives of recent. I do love living here and i think this will help ALOt as ALOt of tourist first experience of Thailand is the taxi's which try to rip them off within 5 mins of tourist landing so this will help atleast give me an hours break before they get fleeced

kidding... well done Thailand!

I agree with your post 100% and thanks for posting.... Amazing Thailand...My next trip will be lovely and this is good News for All the tourists...

May be more expensive than a taxi if there are 3 or 4 of you but hey don't forget the speed and comfort that the train will offer in comparison. One little worry is will you be able to get on these trains at busy times as waiting a further hour for the next express will be a big downer. Hope they are pretty long trains with plenty of seats as no way would I want to stand for the journey then a taxi would be preferable.

Anyway great news and a great positive step for Thailand :)

Taxis have improved tremendously in the last year with many of the rust buckets being replaced by new locally built Toyotas. Was that due to an anti recession infusion of Government money similar to the "old car" schemes in the US, UK and Germany? Well good for Thailand, if so.

I don't grudge the B50 surcharge but will probably try the old upstairs game migrated from Don Muang next trip, if my bag is small. As to double charging - they seem to have a similar express model as to Chek Lap Kok where there is also a need for a low fares for airport workers. I doubt if I will use this link though as I usually rent an appartment in Lumphini.

Congratulations. One step ahead in establishing different railway systems that are and always will be completely incompatible and incongruously, namely:

1. The 'classic' SRT with it's shaking and vibrating 1000mm gauge

2. The skytrain (in the sky) with 1435mm gauge

3. The MRT in the underground, operated by another company, with another tickets, another train and electrification system

4. The airport link, operated by the SRT, now suddenly with an overhead contact line (skytrain an underground get power trough railway based electrical lines!)

The last three ones build within only 10 years with absolutely NO way of upgrading, extension or connection between the lines.

Mai bpen drai. What London, NY, Paris or Tokyo do mustn't be good for Bangkok. So keep the transportmafia rolling.

Congratulations. One step ahead in establishing different railway systems that are and always will be completely incompatible and incongruously, namely:

1. The 'classic' SRT with it's shaking and vibrating 1000mm gauge

2. The skytrain (in the sky) with 1435mm gauge

3. The MRT in the underground, operated by another company, with another tickets, another train and electrification system

4. The airport link, operated by the SRT, now suddenly with an overhead contact line (skytrain an underground get power trough railway based electrical lines!)

The last three ones build within only 10 years with absolutely NO way of upgrading, extension or connection between the lines.

Mai bpen drai. What London, NY, Paris or Tokyo do mustn't be good for Bangkok. So keep the transportmafia rolling.

You for one are just one of the peeps who only know how to criticise things that you don't even really know or haven't even tried!

1. Classing SRT system is completely out of the map this time.

2. BTS & ARL will LINK at Phayathai station. 2 different systems, different operators BUT the two stations are connected directly to each other. At the City Air Terminal, of the ARL will also LINK with an MRT station.

3. The reason for the overhead contact line is because the speed is different! The third rail electrical line is only good for train system that is slower than 120kmph ARL is running at 160kmph.

4. Common ticketing system can be implemented very easily. All systems are now using the same RFID devices and gates. The main problem is just management nightmare where each operator doesn't really wanna talk with each other and set up a system that works.

5. All the systems, ARL, BTS, MRT are using the same standard gauge. BTS/MRT cars are interchangeable, they are both running on the same system with the same electrical wires.

Get the facts right first, please, before bashing.

Edited by infernalman7

May be more expensive than a taxi if there are 3 or 4 of you but hey don't forget the speed and comfort that the train will offer in comparison. One little worry is will you be able to get on these trains at busy times as waiting a further hour for the next express will be a big downer. Hope they are pretty long trains with plenty of seats as no way would I want to stand for the journey then a taxi would be preferable.

I'm gonna wait and see