Crazy Catipillar

There are so many insects here! The photos below are of a caterpillar similar to the one on your bike. It had a tail, outriggers, more outriggers, fuzz, fur, white spots, red spots, green spots, antenna, sub-antenna, and 4 hump-back bumps! It was around for three days on our lotus and fish tank, and it completely ate 5 large leaves while leaving little black turds in its wake. The thing was an eating machine and we were waiting to see what kind of butterfly would emerge. One afternoon my wife saw a bird land on the edge of the tank and have it as a meal. Guess we will never know what it would have been, besides dinner that is.....

post-498-1252165439_thumb.jpg post-498-1252165488_thumb.jpg

There are so many insects here! The photos below are of a caterpillar similar to the one on your bike. It had a tail, outriggers, more outriggers, fuzz, fur, white spots, red spots, green spots, antenna, sub-antenna, and 4 hump-back bumps! It was around for three days on our lotus and fish tank, and it completely ate 5 large leaves while leaving little black turds in its wake. The thing was an eating machine and we were waiting to see what kind of butterfly would emerge. One afternoon my wife saw a bird land on the edge of the tank and have it as a meal. Guess we will never know what it would have been, besides dinner that is.....

Think it was a bird filler .

Maybe that's why it's called cater-pillar. :)

You win for crazy caterpillar sighting and photo :) !

After doing some Google search I think Misterman's caterpillar belongs to the Family Lasiocampidae, which is a moth species: http://www.thaibugs.com/caterpillars.htm

http://www.malaeng.com/blog/?s=Lasiocampidae

T-dog's caterpillar looks very similar, although with red in stead of blue spots.

Nienke, great website there. I didn't see anything quite like the one I saw but I don't think that is unusual. I met a Thai professor at a wedding last year who is an insect expert, and he said that there are many insects in Thailand that are not yet cataloged.

• 11 years later...

My wife and I have seen our share of odd insects/bugs over our 25 years here, but this tops them all: 

We saw it during a jungle romp outside of Udon today.  My wife saw a few butterflies nearby that she thought night be related......but we didn't get a photo.

Anyone have an ID?

20210611_130545.jpg