I opened an account with Paypal over a year ago. I've just logged in to add another email address. The email from Paypal is marked as being from [email protected]. Having not so far used the account, I copied and pasted this address into my Firefox browser and several sites came up saying it was a phishing email.

I tracked back to when I very first opened the Paypal account and it had the same [email protected] email. Is it phishing? I opened the account with B1st. Thanks.

:) Sure just let me put my mind-reading hat on.

How can anyone possibly answer your query without you posting the entire email with full header attached?

Saying that it "is marked as being from [email protected]" doesn't help ... where is it "marked" with that address? If you mean that address is shown in the "reply to" space then that means JS.

I suggest you cut and paste part of the message (not the email address) into google and/or yahoo and see what comes up ... quite possibly an email hoax web site. Also look at the PayPal home page for any specific warnings with examples of actual phishing emails.

I opened an account with Paypal over a year ago. I've just logged in to add another email address. The email from Paypal is marked as being from [email protected]. Having not so far used the account, I copied and pasted this address into my Firefox browser and several sites came up saying it was a phishing email.

I tracked back to when I very first opened the Paypal account and it had the same [email protected] email. Is it phishing? I opened the account with B1st. Thanks.

This is the link (from the official website) with the help desk from PayPal and I suggest you ask them:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/helpscr?c...p;t=escalateTab

LaoPo

Simply put, does anyone else here in Thailand who have a Paypal account registered with Be1st have

[email protected] as the sender of any and all email contact with Paypal. I have. There. Is that simple enough for you?

Don't worry. It's a legitimate address. I just viewed all my paypal receipts and they all have this email address. I find that Firefox can be a bit oversensitve to what it regards as phishing.

Thanks for the replies, and the link Laopao, I'd already done the 'ask' thing, but took so long loading gave up and sent a mail, which might take a while to be answered, so thought I'd ask here on tv, as it might just be that Paypal has this different address, their SE office being located in Singapore. It seems from the last post it's legit, but if you key in the address in your browser (mine's Firefox), a list of it being a 'scam' site comes up, Yahoo answers too (for what that's worth ...) Perhaps people are just being overly paranoid :)

I get phony phishing e-mails from everywhere including what looks to be Paypal. Many appear to be fraudulent from but some are hard to tell. I never ever click on the link they want me to go to because it is often impossible to ascertain if its legit or not. It may say one thing and actually take you somewhere else to the hackers site. One spammer even is able to make it appear that I have sent the E-mail to myself.

I will only type into my browser the name of the place I want to go to and if I check out my account I make sure the address is preceded by https. I would advise to never ever trust those links in e-mails.

Edited by ronz28

99.999% of any emails that say there is a problem with your PayPal account are bogus.

In fact I have never seen a legit one.

watch out as many times a written link is not what it seems. If you put your cursor over it you will see where it really wnts to go by looking in the lower left corner if using firefox.

If you get a problem with your account email disregard it & log in directly using your own kink to verify the account is ok.

You would not believe how well they duplicate a paypal site look to grab your password.

Edited by flying

If you added an email account and soon thereafter received an email from Paypal saying please verify this email address, it's probably legitimate. It shouldn't ask for anything else, just verifying the email. It'll also require your password on the verification. It should not ask anything other than that to verify the new email address - no credit card or bank account info or anything like that.

The return address doesn't really guarantee anything. Lots of phishing emails have legitimate return email addresses because very few people reply to them.

Simply put, does anyone else here in Thailand who have a Paypal account registered with Be1st have

[email protected] as the sender of any and all email contact with Paypal. I have. There. Is that simple enough for you?

A phishing email is unlikely to be "marked" with a false email address (although you may be able to detect a false URL by running your cursor over the imbedded link - as others have suggested)

An email that is "marked" with a legitimate email address can be, and often still is, a phishing email

Further advice here:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=x...hishing-outside