Kawasaki Tracker 250cc

Thaifan2

Went into the Kawasaki show room on Sukhumvit Pattaya .Was looking at the Tracker 250 cc and priced at 149 ,000 baht .Its probably a little too tall standing for me ( short legs ) but what do others think of the bike ? Handling ,reliability and after sales service etc ?

Good bike in general but underpowered.. Theres some odd electrical restriction going on in the upper gears that hold it back.

I really liked the look as an around town day to day bike.. But rode it and it felt kinda gutless.. I just expected a bit more pull out of a motard.

I have never been on one with the mods to remove the restriction, but for me it wasnt just a top end / higher speed power loss it was right through.

I think all the new ones (in the shops now) have the updated cdi's fitted so removing the restriction,

Really ?? Thats interesting.

I know the local one was offering to 'upgrade' the EFI controller here for about 6 or 8k per bike (its a very simple 20 baht mod) but I assumed there was a restriction for a reason.

Good bike in general but underpowered.. Theres some odd electrical restriction going on in the upper gears that hold it back.

I really liked the look as an around town day to day bike.. But rode it and it felt kinda gutless.. I just expected a bit more pull out of a motard.

I have never been on one with the mods to remove the restriction, but for me it wasnt just a top end / higher speed power loss it was right through.

Have to confirm that the d-tracker is quite enjoyable to ride over short /medium range...never drove it longer distance - was only testing it on 2 occasions. For the shorter drive io felt the power was ok but more power wouldn't hurt and if the "restrictions" can be undone i am sure the power "shortage" can be overcome too. Since i am looking in the future for a Bike to play a little in the dirt myself i would rather have either the Kawa KLX or the Sachs x-road....hope the sachs x-road will be available soon...

Btw ...the d-tracker may appear a little high but you should sit on it first asd the shocks will go down and than you should be able to reach the floor too...the klx is a bit higher though

mbox

Got some more info from the Kawasaki section of www.gt-rider.com forum .

When i said that the DTracker has got to be faster than my Phantom i was wrong .Many riders report a top speed of 115 km ,where as i seem to remember achieving 120 km on my Phantom on a run to Ko Chang .

Kawasaki have offered a new ECU to all ,as the old one had problems with stalling .Many riders report an increase in power with the new ECU .

Also there is a power ECU ( not made by Kawasaki ) which if fitted will nullify your warranty and costs 8,000 baht ,but will increase top speed to around 140 kmh.