Is Maxnet Throttling Youtube?

Igor

So, I'm sitting here in Chiang Mai with my 3Mbs MaxNet Premier ADSL and a few days ago I noticed media downloads were starting to slow down. Not just YouTube but all media downloads. Web browsing seems snappy enough and speed tests come out within acceptable speed limits. But it might take me 20 minutes to download a five minute YouTube video and I had to run overnight to download a 40 MB MP3 blog post. Now I'm starting to get all paranoid and wondering if this has to do with all the "This Site Closed by Royal Thai Police..." notices.

MaxNet swears they are not throttling bandwidth for any sites.

I say, "Pooh."

Anyone else having trouble?

So, I'm sitting here in Chiang Mai with my 3Mbs MaxNet Premier ADSL and a few days ago I noticed media downloads were starting to slow down. Not just YouTube but all media downloads. Web browsing seems snappy enough and speed tests come out within acceptable speed limits. But it might take me 20 minutes to download a five minute YouTube video and I had to run overnight to download a 40 MB MP3 blog post. Now I'm starting to get all paranoid and wondering if this has to do with all the "This Site Closed by Royal Thai Police..." notices.

MaxNet swears they are not throttling bandwidth for any sites.

I say, "Pooh."

Anyone else having trouble?

They can swear all they want. I've been using Maxnet for 2 years now with the Premier 2Mbs ADSL. I had decent speeds until this year. Now downloads average 30Kps for small files and 10Kps for large files. Their Call Center is a joke. After waiting for 2 months for a service tech to check the phone lines. He said the phone lines were fine. He said the the problem is my CPU. He said my computer might be too slow for their router. Let see, I'm running a quad-core 2.6 Ghz with 4GB's of RAM. Maybe he's right. :)

Now downloads average 30Kps for small files and 10Kps for large files.

I have seen no evidence of throttling. Sounds like you have a local problem. Here in Phuket I get download speeds of just over 300 KBs (2.1 Mbs) with torrents and I can watch great quality streaming video on my flat sceen TV from YouTube and BBC. In fact my speed just increased a few weeks ago from 1.8Mbs to 2.5Mbs.

• 1 month later...

I'm also in Phuket. Kathu to be precise. Living in a four story apartment (maybe? But there's no kitchen... or maybe these are guesthouses minus the service?) called <nip>. The internet in this building has been atrociously slow. Download speeds of about 20kbps at good times, and closer to 5kbps average. There are even times when it hits 0kbps. This building has Maxnet. I'm not sure which version of their 'service.' We have to check our email after midnight and before 9am. Although, sometimes the throttling seems to occur randomly. During the ASEAN summit, I think our internet access was even worse.

We've heard that there is a limit of 2 megabits per second per multi-residence building. Therefore, if you're living in a house with your own internet, you're probably a lot better off than the poor saps in these apartment-style buildings.

Another thing I read, probably here in the forums, is that Maxnet buys its bandwidth from CAT. In theory, if you go with CAT you'll have more reliable and less throttled bandwidth. Can anyone verify this?

Maxnet seems to limit speed per actual connection. In my case this seems to be 40-50 kBps.

So when opening a webpage which consists of several items (html, banners, pictures) a connection for each item is made and page opens fast.

Youtube on the other hand (and all other streaming media pages) has just one single connection open, the actual video stream. ence the buffering.

There is a little application around called bywifi (google it). Free, and it splits your youtube video into 8 parts and starts to download them simultaniously. You'll still have buffering in the first 10% of the video, but then all should be good...