Crackdown Fails To Stop Suvarnabhumi Airport Gangs

george

The AOT allows these thugs in the arrival hall so visitors will take their 900 bt 'limo' into town instead of a 300 bt taxi.

If you don't hire a 900 bt AOT limo, you get to face the scumbags in the arrival area.

35,000 arrivals a day paying 600bt over the regular fare. That's a nice earner for AOT "officials".

This same reporter from the Bangkok Post ran a similar story in 2007.

900 were arrested then.

Airport crackdown - September 2007

by Amornrat Mahitthirook

More than 900 illegal taxi drivers and tour guides were arrested at

Suvarnabhumi airport in June and July as the airport is working harder

to ensure passenger safety.

Suvarnabhumi airport director Serirat Prasutanont said the crackdown

had brought illegal taxi and guide activities down by 70-to-80 per

cent. The airport sought police help in cracking down on illegal

operators preying on visitors. In June, police made 235 arrests, and

in July, 686 arrests.

With more than 10 people arrested more than once, the Airports of

Thailand (AoT)'s legal division is exploring how to bar any people

arrested more than three times for such an offence from entering the

airport premises. He admitted such illegal operations had damaged the

country's image because some customers were over-charged, assaulted

and robbed.

Mr Serirat said the airport is also preparing records of

transportation and tourism agents and their vehicles' registration

numbers. Notices would be put up at the airport displaying taxi

charges for trips to other provinces as fixed by the Land Transport

Department. For a destination within Bangkok, the charge would be as

shown by the meter, plus the 50-baht airport charge. Mr Serirat added

that any taxi drivers found to have overcharged a passenger would be

prohibited from picking up passengers at the airport for at least 10

days.

The crackdown has been a blessing for the legal limousine and taxi

business. Limousine service operators now made 850-900 trips a day, up

from 700 previously. Taxi trips rose from 4,500 to 6,000 a day.

Starting next month, taxi pick-ups would be relocated from the first

floor to the second floor of the terminal, where passengers arrive, he

said. Some Bangkok Mass Transit Authority buses would be allowed to

pick up and drop off passengers on the first and fourth floors of the

terminal.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go out front on 2ec floor to the left about 200 ft where the free AIRPORT BUS takes you

to the AIRPORT terminal is and get a 1.50 ticket to anywhere in Bangkok or get near skytrain

or the river boats for 18Baht go 20 miles in either direction. lovely experience. can get to or from

airport about 2.50 us. People need to keep eyes open and observe. Old airport get to nana for

1.40. haha

The nub of this report is that AOT executives are involved in protecting the arrival hall scamsters, and that they are too well connected or too elite be touched.

I had never thought that that was the reason the scamsters act with (virtual) impunity. Accepting that fact, which for someone who's been in Amazing Thailand for a long time is quite easy, I give up.

Nothing can be done, Nothing will ever change. Who is this Abhisit, anyway? The prime minister, did you say? What's he got to do with it? This is Thailand.

I'll just continue with my usual remedy, which is a loud "F*** off!" to anybody offering me anything. It's not the ideal way to arrive home and speak to the first person, but I just boil over at these scum and their freedom to be scum.

It's also quite satisfying to bawl "f*** off" at scum and know they can do nothing about it.

Exactly my approach , well said mate, Please . my thai is not brilliant even after 1 year, can you tell me the Thai (in English letters) for <deleted> off?

:) Stop allowing people without tickets or security passes in the airport facilities. Only people with valid airline ticket / passport and official airport pass holders within the secured areas. The taxi issues can be controlled by concessions with metered transport.

:D

Of course this has been the answer from the beginning, but only IF you they were serious about solving the problem , but they are not. ITS ALL SUPERFICIAL. Security personnel removing non employees of the airport or passengers without arrival or deperature proof.

A crackdown that failed - there is a surprise :)

Most people know and accept its all down to the people in power being so corrupt. Recently on Pattaya News, there was a news item about a meeting at Pattaya City Hall regarding corruption. It went on to mention all the agencies where corruption was on a large scale. I had to smile when they said that the anti-corruption department was amongst this group.

Sadly I think its getting worse during this recession - no surprise really.

Gee and I thought I was the only one using the cell phone to the ear trick!!!! Well, it works.

MODERATORS == Or at least someone in charge. Can you please stop the contributors from including the entire lengthy articles when they add their post. This thread could have been half as long as it is without repeating the entire original article.

What's the latest on the King Power gang?

King Power have a signed contract with AoT

The "Mafia Gangs" forgot to do the paperwork first.

Passed through the other day, and noticed that most people have read their (home) Government Warnings, as there were more staff than customers. If fact I did not see any customers in most their shops

Actually, that was kind of interesting. Under Samak, the AoT canceled the contract and demanded King Power vacate the premises. After Abhisit/Suthep took over, AoT signed a new contract that allowed all the things King Power did that violated the first contract. It seems King Power is a big financial backer of Newin. :D

And I haven't seen anyone comment on the fact that some of these "illegal" operations, like taxi drivers, are actually better for the travelers than the "authorized" services. :)

And I haven't seen anyone comment on the fact that some of these "illegal" operations, like taxi drivers, are actually better for the travelers than the "authorized" services. :D

Duh. And what might be the reason? :)

At a rough guess jsixpack, I think acharn is trying to say that the metered taxis are the illegal ones.

Crackdown fails to stop airport gangs

ILLEGAL OPERATORS DEFY AUTHORITIES

AoT president Serirat Prasutanond conceded that there are some criminal gangs operating in the airport, but said the AoT has stepped up efforts to crack down on unlicensed taxi drivers and tour guides.

One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs. A reshuffle of officials will be made this month, he said. Mr Serirat said the AoT will spend 15 million baht starting on Oct 1 to try and end the illegal operations.

* This article is the first in a series on irregularities at Suvarnabhumi airport.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-06

They "conceded that there are some criminal gangs operating in the airport"? So they need to "spend 15 million baht starting Oct 1 to TRY and end the illegal operations"? No money no talk? :)

Sure ive been hasseled a bit by people looking to rip me off at the airport, taxi's and tour guides waiting around looking for marks.. but ive never had any problems at don mueng or suvarnabhumi.

Ive learnt not to trust anyone and thats working fine for me.

But i got to say sometimes i understand that its very hard for thai's to earn a living, theres not many job opportunities out there and sometimes i got to admit if i get in a cab and they dont turn the meter on sometimes i will let it go and will pay extra.. cause whats a few dollars to me!!

If people would only think before they engage anyone in conversation they would be able to avoid a lot of problems with getting ripped off.

In general nobody who you don't know should ever approach you, especially when you are in a foreign country. If they do then you should be on guard immediately as there is the likelihood that they are up to no good.

For example muggers often ask for a cigarette or 'do you have the correct time', it's a distraction technique designed to get you off guard. I've come across people like this on various occasions over the years.

These scammers work the same way, if you make a point of not talking to any strangers who approach you then you will generally not become victim to any of these type of scams. It may come across as being a bit ignorant but that never bothered me.

exactly, this is the only sensible reply in this thread :)

Sure ive been hasseled a bit by people looking to rip me off at the airport, taxi's and tour guides waiting around looking for marks.. but ive never had any problems at don mueng or suvarnabhumi.

Ive learnt not to trust anyone and thats working fine for me.

But i got to say sometimes i understand that its very hard for thai's to earn a living, theres not many job opportunities out there and sometimes i got to admit if i get in a cab and they dont turn the meter on sometimes i will let it go and will pay extra.. cause whats a few dollars to me!!

It is against the law to not use the meter, so what you are saying is you agree to aiding and abetting yes?

The corruption starts at the top and to try to clean up anything is simply a lost cause. In my opinion, the corruption is getting even worse and the police are openly corrupt. At one time they tried to hide it.

Err......... hard times make for hard practices - at least, back in the early 80's you were fleeced with a smile and, yes, the 'authorities' appeared to be embarassed and making effort to fix the problem.

Now I walk thru the Swamp with a fixed snarl on my face to discourage the crooks.

It will get worse. Sadly.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Excuse me again, but why all of this talk of tourist taxi scams at the airport? Avoid all the touts, go straight up to the third floor, and get a taxi dropping off at the arrival gate. Virtually all of those guys use the meter, because they know if you are looking for a taxi there you know every taxi scam and they are simply looking for a metered fare that will get them back into central Bangkok. Why is this simple piece of information not incorporated into every tourist book? And why has no one on this forum mentioned it before? Point, set lao.

I think they (AOT) have tried to stop people from doing this. The last time I went to the 3rd floor for a taxi, they had barricades to stop taxis from picking up new passengers because the airport takes the fee (I've heard that it has gone up to 100B extra now) that is normally charged. I just waited for a taxi to call me over, and then I stepped over the barricade (being tall is useful).

I can't wait for the rail line to open. I think I'll keep taking a taxi to the airport as it's easier, but I will definitely take the train from the airport to avoid all this crap. Even if I only take the train one stop down the line, so I can grab a real taxi without all the hassle.

Gee and I thought I was the only one using the cell phone to the ear trick!!!! Well, it works.

I never thought of that, what a great idea! I usually just make myself look angry and in a hurry, then the touts leave me alone.

One last thing for the tourist books: Never look like you don't know where to go, this is the common mistake I see new tourists make. Scan your surroundings surreptitiously, choose a goal (if you really don't know where you're going choose the desk of a major airline or a restaurant where you can ask), and walk with purpose to it! If you look lost, you are prey!

It makes me sick while waiting at Suvarnabhumi airport and witnesses so many disgusting things.

A few days ago, an "official" guy (around 30 years) with an AOT badge, shouted at a child to show him cash money. The child (maybe 5 years old) was with his mother (I think Arab people) and she could not speak English very well. Apparently they did not have a flight the same evening anymore. The AOT man said he could arrange a 3 star hotel in BKK at 250 US$ for a few hours but he could not accept a credit card, only cash. The mother showed her CC to him. He shouted really hard at the child, “give me money, give me money, show me cash, only cash, 250 US$ cash cash, no credit card, show me CASH CASH”…… I wanted to take a picture but he was looking really angry at me. I have a lot of pics from “bad things/ bad people” at the airport and one day I will do something with it.

All this happened in front of a Thai Airways counter while the staffs (3 people) were watching the guy. No one did anything. Half an hour later, I went back (I think the man closed his deal) to complaint and told my grief at the very same Thai counter. The only thing I got back was a stupid smile and a “mai penrai”, take it easy sir.

TIT, this is Thailand.

The nub of this report is that AOT executives are involved in protecting the arrival hall scamsters, and that they are too well connected or too elite be touched.

I had never thought that that was the reason the scamsters act with (virtual) impunity. Accepting that fact, which for someone who's been in Amazing Thailand for a long time is quite easy, I give up.

Nothing can be done, Nothing will ever change. Who is this Abhisit, anyway? The prime minister, did you say? What's he got to do with it? This is Thailand.

I'll just continue with my usual remedy, which is a loud "F*** off!" to anybody offering me anything. It's not the ideal way to arrive home and speak to the first person, but I just boil over at these scum and their freedom to be scum.

It's also quite satisfying to bawl "f*** off" at scum and know they can do nothing about it.

Exactly my approach , well said mate, Please . my thai is not brilliant even after 1 year, can you tell me the Thai (in English letters) for <deleted> off?

Why learn to be foul mouthed?

Why not learn to be civil but stern in your reply?

Is it no wonder that you yourselves are treated as scum?

It makes me sick while waiting at Suvarnabhumi airport and witnesses so many disgusting things.

A few days ago, an "official" guy (around 30 years) with an AOT badge, shouted at a child to show him cash money. The child (maybe 5 years old) was with his mother (I think Arab people) and she could not speak English very well. Apparently they did not have a flight the same evening anymore. The AOT man said he could arrange a 3 star hotel in BKK at 250 US$ for a few hours but he could not accept a credit card, only cash. The mother showed her CC to him. He shouted really hard at the child, "give me money, give me money, show me cash, only cash, 250 US$ cash cash, no credit card, show me CASH CASH"…… I wanted to take a picture but he was looking really angry at me. I have a lot of pics from "bad things/ bad people" at the airport and one day I will do something with it.

All this happened in front of a Thai Airways counter while the staffs (3 people) were watching the guy. No one did anything. Half an hour later, I went back (I think the man closed his deal) to complaint and told my grief at the very same Thai counter. The only thing I got back was a stupid smile and a "mai penrai", take it easy sir.

TIT, this is Thailand.

This has to be the biggest crap i have ever read on thai visa.

There is no way a scammer would shout at a child like that with his parents attending, He would be scamming the adults not using the child in full view of everyone.

Thai government and society is the way it is because that is simply "their system", for better or worse.

If Thailand were to fix your perceived ills and eliminate corruption, create a socio-economically just society, fair wages for all, then the the costs associated with entertainment and living expenses would no longer be worthwhile and no doubt many would leave or not come.

Excuse me again, but why all of this talk of tourist taxi scams at the airport? Avoid all the touts, go straight up to the third floor, and get a taxi dropping off at the arrival gate. Virtually all of those guys use the meter, because they know if you are looking for a taxi there you know every taxi scam and they are simply looking for a metered fare that will get them back into central Bangkok. Why is this simple piece of information not incorporated into every tourist book? And why has no one on this forum mentioned it before? Point, set lao.

I think they (AOT) have tried to stop people from doing this. The last time I went to the 3rd floor for a taxi, they had barricades to stop taxis from picking up new passengers because the airport takes the fee (I've heard that it has gone up to 100B extra now) that is normally charged. I just waited for a taxi to call me over, and then I stepped over the barricade (being tall is useful).

I can't wait for the rail line to open. I think I'll keep taking a taxi to the airport as it's easier, but I will definitely take the train from the airport to avoid all this crap. Even if I only take the train one stop down the line, so I can grab a real taxi without all the hassle.

I never thought of that, what a great idea! I usually just make myself look angry and in a hurry, then the touts leave me alone.

One last thing for the tourist books: Never look like you don't know where to go, this is the common mistake I see new tourists make. Scan your surroundings surreptitiously, choose a goal (if you really don't know where you're going choose the desk of a major airline or a restaurant where you can ask), and walk with purpose to it! If you look lost, you are prey!

There is one thing about using your mobile as a scam, Make sure it is turned off!!! you will look very silly if it rings when it is supposed to be engaged.

A swift "Mai ao krap" spoken with a semi authentic Thai accent has always been enough for me.

I do find it odd, that security in an airport of all places is unable to prevent mass entry of unwanted people and loitering.

Next they will be saying that the touts are simply executing their rights to civil protest. :) It would appear that preventing unwanted people from entering airports isn't one of Thailand's stronger suits.

The corruption starts at the top and to try to clean up anything is simply a lost cause. In my opinion, the corruption is getting even worse and the police are openly corrupt. At one time they tried to hide it.

Perfectly correct, but the issue is millenia old...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The essential problem was posed by Plato in the Republic, his work on government and morality. The perfect society as described by Socrates, the main character of the work (see Socratic dialogue), relies on laborers, slaves and tradesmen. The guardian class is to protect the city. The question is put to Socrates, "Who will guard the guardians?" or, "Who will protect us against the protectors?" Plato's answer to this is that they will guard themselves against themselves. We must tell the guardians a "noble lie".[1] The noble lie will assure them that they are better than those they serve and it is therefore their responsibility to guard and protect those lesser than themselves. We will instill in them a distaste for power or privilege; they will rule because they believe it right, not because they desire it.

It's like communism, it's a great idea but doesn't work.

Thanks to wiki

A few days ago, an "official" guy (around 30 years) with an AOT badge, shouted at a child to show him cash money. The child (maybe 5 years old) was with his mother (I think Arab people) and she could not speak English very well. Apparently they did not have a flight the same evening anymore. The AOT man said he could arrange a 3 star hotel in BKK at 250 US$ for a few hours but he could not accept a credit card, only cash. The mother showed her CC to him. He shouted really hard at the child, "give me money, give me money, show me cash, only cash, 250 US$ cash cash, no credit card, show me CASH CASH"…… I wanted to take a picture but he was looking really angry at me. I have a lot of pics from "bad things/ bad people" at the airport and one day I will do something with it.

All this happened in front of a Thai Airways counter while the staffs (3 people) were watching the guy. No one did anything. Half an hour later, I went back (I think the man closed his deal) to complaint and told my grief at the very same Thai counter. The only thing I got back was a stupid smile and a "mai penrai", take it easy sir.

TIT, this is Thailand.

There is no way a scammer would shout at a child like that with his parents attending, He would be scamming the adults not using the child in full view of everyone.

I also have seen a very similar situation on a couple of occasions to the OP's, where kids are a fair target (the 'marks brood' or the Scammers confederates children) thru the last couple of years

- so perhaps your omnipotence is a tad faulty, IMHO.

......and if you read many more historic threads on TV, there are certainly much more valid candidates for your 'Ordure Award'....

the great and the gross; the cream and the crass; the whole gamut of humanity reside here on the forum...... including a fair sprinkling of Mr Angry Know It Alls.....

TIT.

Brewsta

TIT, this is Thailand.

@cyb,

I think you are joking..... No? Then I feel stupid not being able to explain things like they are. The child was with the mother only and no father around. The mother did not speak english at all, the child could understand a bit of it.

Now cyb, if this is not a joke, you should be ashamed of yourself, because to me, this is very bad what happened. If you like to laugh with so much crap, pls go home man. Again, I told you, he was shouting very loud and clear at the CHILD. OK?