Crackdown Fails To Stop Suvarnabhumi Airport Gangs

george

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be simple enough to make regular short warning announcements in say English, German and Thai. They do it at other places with touting/pickpocketing problems outside Thailand. Is it lack of clear-thinking or deliberate I ask myself? Deliberate, I answer myself!

It would be simple enough to make regular short warning announcements in say English, German and Thai. They do it at other places with touting/pickpocketing problems outside Thailand. Is it lack of clear-thinking or deliberate I ask myself? Deliberate, I answer myself!

That will not solve the problems. Don't forget - making such announcements does mean "hey visitors, something is wrong with our Airport and we can't handle it..."

Announcements might work in other countries but when it comes to Thailand, I have my doubts about.

Unless something is done to secure the airport, I fear we will soon see a terror event. As a frequent user of BKK, I have a right to be concerned. No, I am not over reacting, but the situation brings to mind the melee that was the airport in Lagos Nigeria. Over a decade ago the US FAA and its counterpart in the EU warned passengers that the airport did not meet minimum ICAO safety standards and restricted aircraft to and from Nigeria. That decision pressured the Nigerian government to do something. A shoot on sight policy for unauthorized people near the aircraft was implemented. Unauthorized touts were physically tossed out of the terminals. No pass = no entry unless you had a ticket or were there for airport business. Lo and behold the looting, harassment and thuggery stopped.

All it takes is a foreign safety authority to act and this mess would be cleaned up and fast. Unfortunately, the US has lost its backbone and the EU is incapable of anything but hot air. It wasn't too long ago that the Canadian government forced Air Canada to delay its introduction of direct flights to Beirut because of safety concerns. I guess it will be up to Australia, New Zealand and China to act. Why a foreign government? Because foreigners make up a large number of the users and more importantly, it's bloody obvious that the current government is part of the problem.

Absolutely disgusting and inexcusable.

And when you Americans will finally start to build up a 10meter (sorry 33feet) high wall all around your country? America America uber alles uber alles auf der welt..........why dont sent your Marines in to BKK Airport, or better take over the whole government in Thailand, you do better I guess.

Nobody here can really belive that the scams are stopping tomorrow, in one year or in ten as long as some upper people with "influence" praying on it.

The Police Example was the best in the whole thread here, they have houses and cars for millions with their low salary.....have you ever saw a policeman with an old handphone? ....always the newest model. If Thailand really want do something about this they have to start at the roots.....but its a dream as long as the chinese are running the country and that will never change.....except the Americans create a new Virus :)

That will not solve the problems. Don't forget - making such announcements does mean "hey visitors, something is wrong with our Airport and we can't handle it..."

Announcements might work in other countries but when it comes to Thailand, I have my doubts about.

It would help solve the problems, but probably what you are saying is the airport authority would not do it because of loss of face. You might be right in that but I think Thais are changing - and of course it should be up to the owner (presumably government) to instruct them. The government did not mind losing face in announcing that the airport had a bad problem.

Well despite the article, something has changed. I came through last weekend and it was the first time i've ever walked from ground floor arrivals to top floor domestic without being accosted one single time. I didn't even have to avoid eye contact at all costs like i normally do.

I have to say its the first time i've ever felt entirely at ease going through that airport. Normally i'm watching my stuff like a hawk and have my hand firmly over my wallet and have to push past hawkers left right and centre who are determined to stand in my path or crowd me from both sides.

I bet thousands of tourists have already been prey to them but somehow I bet this new norm will last little more than 2 or 3 months before the attention has moved on and things return to the awfull past.

Its clear from this thread how little confidence we all have in it ever really changing

I wrote

"All it takes is a foreign safety authority to act and this mess would be cleaned up and fast. Unfortunately, the US has lost its backbone and the EU is incapable of anything but hot air. "

The last part of the phrase was put in bold and the following response posted;

[And when you Americans will finally start to build up a 10meter (sorry 33feet) high wall all around your country? America America uber alles uber alles auf der welt..........why dont sent your Marines in to BKK Airport, or better take over the whole government in Thailand, you do better I guess.

Nobody here can really belive that the scams are stopping tomorrow, in one year or in ten as long as some upper people with "influence" praying on it.

The Police Example was the best in the whole thread here, they have houses and cars for millions with their low salary.....have you ever saw a policeman with an old handphone? ....always the newest model. If Thailand really want do something about this they have to start at the roots.....but its a dream as long as the chinese are running the country and that will never change.....except the Americans create a new Virus :)

What planet are you from? I am not an American and this has nothing to do with sending US marines or any other foreign expeditionary force. It is about protecting one's citizens. A foreign government most certainly does have the right and the DUTY to forbid the entry of a direct flight from an airport deemed to be unsafe. In fairness to the USA, stopping the 4 direct flights/week from BKK to LAX would achieve nothing except piss the Thais off. However, the flight schedules into the EU are more frequent just as they are into Japan, Australia and China. If the EU cared about it's citizen's safety it would forbid direct flights until the airport was secured, but it won't because the EU prefers to hide from such problems. It therefore falls upon the Chinese and the Australians to act, but they won't unless the EU also responds.

You have a short memory. Do you recall what happened during the yellow shirt occupation of BKK? The end came shortly after an ultimatum was delivered by a common front of foreign governments that said in no uncertain terms, stop the occupation or all flights will be halted for a minimum period of time even if the airport was eventually opened. The message was also given that additional security procedures would be implemented that would all but shut down Thailand's exports. Shortly after the visit from the delegations, the occupation stopped. Did the foreign governments solve the problem? No, but they gave an incentive to the government and the wealthy supporters of the occupation to stop the nonsense. Money talks in Thailand.

Nice Anti-American shot Moskito (your name says it all). The problems and lack of control at the Airport is just one more reason to believe that when a certain individual is no longer around, there might well be a period of lawlessness and civil war in this country. It certainly is looking that way.

Nice Anti-American shot Moskito (your name says it all). The problems and lack of control at the Airport is just one more reason to believe that when a certain individual is no longer around, there might well be a period of lawlessness and civil war in this country. It certainly is looking that way.

I have to concur

I remember years ago in Tokyo seeing a few signs in English warning of pickpockets. This was in an area frequented by both Japanese and foreign tourists.

I think just the lack of adequate security cameras and oversight in checked baggage handling alone makes moot any attempt by Thai authorities to give the impression of a crackdown.

If they are concerned about their public image and want to restore traveler confidence, then they absolutely must stop the blatant theft that's occurring in checked baggage.

But it's a low priority item for some reason. Maybe the kickbacks are just too juicy...

Edited by ballzafire

After a a trip north the return to swampy asked the authorised limo desk how much to Pattaya - 3000baht !

Walked outside and the Taxi rank was full and would have taken forever, so wandered up to departures and grabbed a taxi there for 1000 baht as they were dropping someone else off, he had to fill up with gas though as we left, on arrival at Pattaya he refilled again just near Mcdonalds, how much did it take? 85 baht only to fill his toyota up!

Its easy to see why people still think there is a scam going on when the limos charge 3000 baht.

Guess they had to do something to get people to use them, eliminate the competition is a good start, but dropping prices would be easier and fairer.

Crackdown fails to stop airport gangs

ILLEGAL OPERATORS DEFY AUTHORITIES

The source added that there are more than 20 powerful groups operating in the airport which come under the command of major gangs - Kamnan Samruay, Boonruang Srisang, Sak Pakphanang and Pirap.

The Kamnan Samruay camp used to operate at Don Mueang airport, where they provided underground foreign exchange services.

At the new airport, the gang has extended its business to cover ticketing and illegal taxi and tour guide services. It also collects "protection fees" from smaller gangs.

The Boonruang Srisang gang also runs an illegal taxi and tour guide service network. It has a small number of members and is independent.

The Sak Pakphanang gang is a break-away from the Boonruang Srisang gang, while the Pirap group is believed to have strong connections as its leader has the same last name as an AoT executive.

There are also two prominent groups known as the Pattaya Mafia gang and the Phuyai Daeng gang. The Pattaya Mafia gang, whose leaders are known as Steve and Montri and who are neatly dressed and can easily pass as passengers, is stationed on the fourth floor of the passenger terminal. The Phuyai Daeng gang, with good connections with influential figures in Samut Prakan, works more like a lobbyist for fraudsters who want to gain entry to the airport.

According to the source, unauthorised tour guides are engaged in various scams ranging from providing transportation and accommodation to selling air tickets. "Some even 'steal' the tourists from the TAT [Tourism Authority of Thailand] information counter. They feed the tourists information and then press on with hard sales," said the source.

The illegal tour guides hang around the arrivals hall and approach foreign passengers. They introduce themselves as airport workers and lead tourists to illegal taxi queues when a deal is made."They are scattered on every floor in the terminal and stay among passengers and officials. It is hard to pick them out from the crowd because they are well dressed," the source said, adding the gangs have carved the airport into zones.

* This article is the first in a series on irregularities at Suvarnabhumi airport.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-06

Thanks for info, so once we are in Thailand and my in-laws want to visit LOS, we shall pick them up.

Geeezzz ... if there wasnt the ol' Airport Shuffle, I would think I had landed in sleepy SG and get back on another flight!! That is half the charm of landing in LOS - the boogie-woogie - ya dont have to actually buy anything or take what they offer you - its like all those poor saps who get nailed by King Kong - they were up to no good, is why.

Get someone to pick you up at the airport if ya lost all ya negotiating skills - it aint that expensive!!

The entire airport was designed to fleece visitors.

Remember when they had planned to have NO taxies at the airport? Only AOT Limos. If you wanted a taxi, they had planned for you to take a bus with your baggage to a taxi terminal.

When that didn't work, they put the taxies on a different floor than arrivals with no signs.

Then the AOT put up misleading signs in the baggage area to scare visitors into using the AOT Limo service.

They let the touts and scammers harass anybody that does not use the AOT Limo.

Visitors even get scammed at the official taxi stand.

Thailand needs to start respecting visitors.

If you don't know Thailand or haven't been traveling from your country you have to realize there is a difference in areas where the foreigners are. The rest of Thailand magnetizes to these areas such as Bangkok and especially the airport and also Pattaya. They come from all over Thailand and then return to their home provinces. What they do around foreigners is look at a foreigner very closely and try to determine exactly how many months the foreigner has been in Thailand and what he knows about Thailand and the prices of things and where things are. What they do when they've concluded that you don't know Thailand or where anything is in then they'le charge you any ridiculous price for what ever it is your trying to get like a taxi or a hotel room or a bar girl or food. What you get in these areas is way over charged and what they give is not the real thing that you were trying to get. The more you pay the wrong price for something the worse the thing is. This doesn't happen in all areas of Thailand. The price of things is the price of things and the people in the area are from the area and haven't magnated there to try to over charge strangers and foreigners for goods and services temporarily and then run back to their provinces with there catch.

So sadly to say you must KNOW Bangkok and the airport and Pattaya and where to find everything you need and NEVER ask any one standing there for ANYTHING.

You could in all the other un falong occupied provinces and cities and the people there would probably be friendly and honest and direct you accurately and charge the going rate of whatever it is your trying to get. But not at Suvuhmbarmi or in a lot of Bangkok or Pattaya. They'le through experience with you the stupid foreigner - over charge you and give a peice of crap for whatever it is you just tried to buy or use.

So very very true, I never have this problem in the north and have never been ripped off. The people will treat you as an equal.

Slightly OT, but what should be the 'official' taxi fare from Swampy to Pattaya? That is, if you queue at the official taxi rank, tell the lady where you wish to go and ask for the cost. There must be a fixed fare for longer journeys like this, but I have never seen a list of destinations and fares.

Simon

Actually, that was kind of interesting. Under Samak, the AoT canceled the contract and demanded King Power vacate the premises. After Abhisit/Suthep took over, AoT signed a new contract that allowed all the things King Power did that violated the first contract. It seems King Power is a big financial backer of Newin. :)

Another black mark for this illegitimate failure of a government.

King Power was awarded the contract in Thaksin's tenure. It was the coup leaders who ruled the contract void, not Samak, General Saprang's name springs to mind.

But when Samak came to power the AOT board was changed and no more prosecutions were pursued against King Power.

Lastly, Newins connections to KIng Power have saved it in the present time.

Don't forget ex PM, Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, was on the AOT board due to his position in the Justice Ministry.

The airport fell inside what was going to be declared a special zone carved out of pieces of other provinces and which would have no governor or local bodies but would fall under the control of the PMs office. Now putting it into context it is easy to see someone had a grand plan to make lots of money from this zone. The zone plan fell due to political changes but the aitport remained and the contracts awarded go back to those days. I am suirprised that none of the academics studying Thai politics havent done a study on this. Then again the academics studying Thai politcs tend to be of incrdibly low quality. It would however, be a very interesting study and one that would fall directly into the ups and downs of recent Thai politcs.

@ geriatrickid, please accept my apologies for calling you an American but I thought you agreed with US politics in putting their nose in every country (with "resources") to HELP.

I am btw not Anti American, I just dont like their behaviour in Politics while they are doing the same thing to their countrymen what Thailand does, keeping them stupid regarding things outside USAmerica (except Afghanistan, Iran, Irak and Israel...not in correct order...)

A country cant just cancel the flights to a country, because of some scams at an Airport or of some cheatings of foreigners in the destination country.

What they can do is to write NECESSARY INFORMATION like these on their Department for Foreign Affairs Internetpages and warn TOURISTS or other visitors, like some countrys did already (germany for example) Thats the only way it works sooner or later.

Until now, most of the Visitors belive Thailand is safe and the people are friendly, until themselfs get in trouble.

@ Jazzmaster, I HOPE you are not right but guess you are.

Arriving November, Suvarnabhumi after dark. I'm now a bag of nerves. Are the illegal taxi's easy to spot?

Ignore everyone inside and just walk outside to the taxi stand. Easy peasy.

The thing that makes it not so easy for first time visitor is that the signs for the legitimate metered (public) taxi queue are a shade less than prominent and while you are looking for the queue "official" looking touts will approach you saying "you want taxi?" and trying to direct you toward non-metered taxis that wind up costing around 2 or 3 times the price of the metered taxis. Basically if you ask someone in the airport where the metered taxi queue is, there is a good chance that you will be directed away from the public queue and towards a fixed-price private car.

Edited by OriginalPoster

After a a trip north the return to swampy asked the authorised limo desk how much to Pattaya - 3000baht !

Walked outside and the Taxi rank was full and would have taken forever, so wandered up to departures and grabbed a taxi there for 1000 baht as they were dropping someone else off, he had to fill up with gas though as we left, on arrival at Pattaya he refilled again just near Mcdonalds, how much did it take? 85 baht only to fill his toyota up!

Its easy to see why people still think there is a scam going on when the limos charge 3000 baht.

Guess they had to do something to get people to use them, eliminate the competition is a good start, but dropping prices would be easier and fairer.

LOL, this driver must have used the ONE liter engine :):D :D Gasoline costs around 35.-Baht a LITER (quarter gallon for the "others") and a normal

car needs around 8 liter on 100km (60miles for the "others") dont know the exact distance from Bkk to Pattaya but go and return I guess is 100km so around 350 Baht in Gasoline costs, plus driver, plus costs for the car......I personally dont think 1000.- Baht is too much. How much is a 100km trip with a taxi in our countries?.....except India and Central Africa.

I do not agree with the really scams of the tuk tuks which charge 500 for a km ride sometimes, but I think around 1000 is fair for a two hour journey.

I just left there on Friday and no less than 6 guys come up to me while i was having a quiet smoke outside the departure lounge/level trying to tout a fair from me ,i said to them are u private operators and they all said yes ,but the best thing was i got them down to 800 baht to Pattaya Plus Tolls as this is what i had just paid to get to the airport from Pattaya .this is now the standard fee for a meter taxi to the airport ,but below on the next level they want 1500baht for the same trip and then want a tip on top of that too !!!.next i am going to the departure level to catch a nice new private car for a good price ,jing jing :)

Can I still get a taxi to leave Suvarnabhumi on the arrival level? I've never used the taxi line and do not know or care where it is. Leaving on the arrival level I have never had a problem and give the Bt50 to the driver in his tip.

Yes you can, although the are saying they are "cracking down" it has been like it has always been. Just walk out and go the furthest to the left you can go, and by the way I do the same with the 50 baht tip.

Excuse me again, but why all of this talk of tourist taxi scams at the airport? Avoid all the touts, go straight up to the third floor, and get a taxi dropping off at the arrival gate. Virtually all of those guys use the meter, because they know if you are looking for a taxi there you know every taxi scam and they are simply looking for a metered fare that will get them back into central Bangkok. Why is this simple piece of information not incorporated into every tourist book? And why has no one on this forum mentioned it before? Point, set lao.

Because the police and security are trying to stop this happening, I always did it previously old and new airport but last time all the taxi's refused to take me because of the police standing close-by.

Simple solution go straight to the taxi rank I've never had to wait more than a couple of minutes even when we arrived straight after the airport fiasco last year (first plane to arrive from the UAE/Gulf) the airport was emptyI could count on two hands the people who we seen.

Hello, not to diss or dispute, but I got back from KLA AFTER they announced the crackdown, and everything was the same as before. If I could not have gotten a taxi I would have gone down and paid my 50 baht "service fee." I had four or five taxistas fawning all over me. Just my personal experience as well.