Power Buy Not Accepting Platinum Cards

richardt1808

Has anyone heard that Power Buy does not accept Platinum Cards ?

Yesterday, I was shopping at the branch at Central World Plaza and at the end of a good hour of searching for the right pieces of equipment, I made my way to the Customer Service area, whereupon I was told by the Cashier that they do not accept Platinum cards. I was completely flabbergasted. My card is issued in Thailand and I pay a premium fee for it and to have some shop assistant tell me that I should look in my wallet for a Gold card or standard card to be used instead, borders on the incredulous !

I of course spoke to the manager on duty and asked the reasoning behind this, as there are no notices displayed informing shoppers of this fact anywhere. There large printed terms and conditions which is positioned on the rear wall of the customer Service center says "Credit cards are accepted for your convenience" and mentions nothing of this, basically, illegal condition. The official story was that management took the decision because they do not want to pay the higher commission fee to Visa which is levied on Platinum cards.

However, as I understand it, merchants are required to sign an agreement with Visa International or Mastercard which carries specific terms and conditions. Obviously aside from using their discretion in ensuring that an individual card is genuine and of course that the person presenting it is who they say they are, the merchant does not have the right to discriminate against any group of card users like this. The fact that they display the Visa sign, means that they accept the card. It's that simple. I called both my bank and Visa international and this was confirmed to me.

I wonder whether anyone else has encountered this as I intend to take it up officially with Visa and with the Consumer Protection agency, or, if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

Seems to me from reading your story that the issue is with the retailer, not Visa. Then again, I can recall being in a Foodland one time and saw a little sign near the cash register saying they didn't accept Plat card either.

It is funny over here. The merchant is willing to lose the sale because of few bath. :D

As I understand the platinum card charges for the merchant is higher than normal card, go figure. :)

It has nothing to do with special agreement. I always take them in my shop and have never had to sign up for a special agreement.

They are trying to be like AMEx which charges the merchant up to 4%

Seems to me from reading your story that the issue is with the retailer, not Visa. Then again, I can recall being in a Foodland one time and saw a little sign near the cash register saying they didn't accept Plat card either.

It is funny over here. The merchant is willing to lose the sale because of few bath. :D

As I understand the platinum card charges for the merchant is higher than normal card, go figure. :)

It has nothing to do with special agreement. I always take them in my shop and have never had to sign up for a special agreement.

They are trying to be like AMEx which charges the merchant up to 4%

it's all a bit silly but if you are buying some major products 4+% does add up for the retailer. but i do wonder if it's really in the issuing bank's realm, this issue I mean. Visa doesnt issue cards, it provides a payment gateway to banks that do. same is true with mastercard.

Thanks for your comments, BKKJames. You're right though; the issue is more with the retailer, but also partly shared by the credit card company, I guess, since they are the ones demanding the premium commission. I'm sure if it were an extra half percent, it wouldn't be a problem - even for the short-sighted retailers here in LOS.

I called the bank and had a long talk with a very nice and understanding lady who told me that they have had numerous complaints about Power Buy in Bangok, but there was nothing they could do. Even after some pressing, she wouldn't divulge the difference in commission rates, so I asked to downgrade my card or have the annual fee waived. She's faxing me some forms to sign, so let's see if it helps to stir the pot a bit.

I also have the name of the Division SGM at Power Buy, so I'll be giving him a call to brighten his day also :)

Thanks for your comments, BKKJames. You're right though; the issue is more with the retailer, but also partly shared by the credit card company, I guess, since they are the ones demanding the premium commission. I'm sure if it were an extra half percent, it wouldn't be a problem - even for the short-sighted retailers here in LOS.

I called the bank and had a long talk with a very nice and understanding lady who told me that they have had numerous complaints about Power Buy in Bangok, but there was nothing they could do. Even after some pressing, she wouldn't divulge the difference in commission rates, so I asked to downgrade my card or have the annual fee waived. She's faxing me some forms to sign, so let's see if it helps to stir the pot a bit.

I also have the name of the Division SGM at Power Buy, so I'll be giving him a call to brighten his day also :)

BTW, there are other places besides Powerbuy - take your money elsewhere - I would.

I spent more than an hour checking out some equipment at Power Buy on Silom. When I made a decision and took out my platinum card, they told me they don't accept them and nor do they accept Titanium cards. As I only have the one card and not enough cash on me I went away empty handed. It was the last day of a clearance sale too. :) When I called my bank about this, they claimed it was the first time that they had heard of a refusal by Power Buy (Probably I use a different bank to the earlier poster). They said they would look into the matter (In other words, don't hold your breath for any changes).

I spent more than an hour checking out some equipment at Power Buy on Silom. When I made a decision and took out my platinum card, they told me they don't accept them and nor do they accept Titanium cards. As I only have the one card and not enough cash on me I went away empty handed. It was the last day of a clearance sale too. :) When I called my bank about this, they claimed it was the first time that they had heard of a refusal by Power Buy (Probably I use a different bank to the earlier poster). They said they would look into the matter (In other words, don't hold your breath for any changes).

Central Group issues platinum cards too and Power Buy is owned by them. I wonder if they accept platinum cards issued by Central.

Edited by Penangkaki

I had exactly the same problem with them a few months ago. I was buying a new phone and had chosen the item. After some time, a "manager" came over and said we can't except it, but maybe there is something that we can do. I took this as probably an "extra fee". Irrespective, I told him that I was not interested, as I had already had time wasted hanging around, and then the embarrassment of having a card refused. I went down stairs, and subsequently bought the identical phone hassle free. That was Power Buy Central Lat Phrao. They have now lost any future business from me.

If they have a policy, then they should certainly be putting a sign up saying no Platinum cards, but I'm guessing that there agreement with Visa probably doesn't actually allow them to do this.

Without mentioning which Card Company, I do have a laugh when every year they send me a mailer saying "you are pre-approved for a platinum" xxxx card at only 20,000 Baht a year blah blah blah.

Not only do I have to pay alot more to upgrade to it, apparently as part of the priveledges of having this in your wallet is that you never get to use it. It's only for show apparently.

Exactly the same happened to me at Central Plaza Festival Pattaya a few months ago. Wanted to buy a good headphone but they did not accept a Platinum Card. I was very puzzled, left the headphone at the counter and bought it elsewhere.

TiT.

My upgrade to platinum was automatic and there was no increase in fees. Having said that, what is the point in being upgraded if you can't use it. The embarrassment factor of having the card refused is quite high.

Since the incident at Power Buy, whenever I am considering using the card I always ask first if platinum cards are accepted. I have heard that a few other places don't accept them.

Just think if you were using a service somewhere as they had the usual Visa sticker showing that they accept visa cards, but when presenting the card to pay for the service you have already used, it is not accepted, e.g. paying for a hospital bill, etc. You have no other card nor cash in your pocket. How embarrassing.

Edited by GarryP

One time

I was at some forgettable retailer and when I attempted to use my Amex card I was informed that to use it I would have to pay an additional 4% or whatever it was. I really needed what I was trying to purchase so I made a counter offer of 2% take it or leave it, they took it. I won't say I won but I did lose less.

I too have had my platinum refused at some retailers. I went to the bank got it cancelled. Anyway, if enough of us march into the bank and cancelled it and letting bank know the reason...this will be fed back to Visa or further up the bank heirarchy and hopefully Visa will enforce their merchant agreements, or do something. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but I feel better having voted with my $$$$ and told bank in no uncertain terms that I refuse to carry Visa Platinum now and will advise people likewise. If any of you have Thai partners, get them to write in the Thai press as well. I think this is something well within our rights as consumers (farang or Thai) to try to improve. After all, why pay annual fee for it if you can't use it?????

Wow, getting a platinum card refused is really some serious business around these parts. I suggest you immediately inform the police, the bank, the shop and every newspaper and online news resource in South East Asia!

Has anyone heard of those fancy machines called "ATM's". You can actually put your shiny "platinum card" in the machine, type in a few numbers and the machine will eject cash! Quite magnificent!

Or would that be too hard work for a "platinum card" holder? :)

In the US one is also beginning to encounter merchants who are no longer accepting various upgraded "reward" cards such as your platinum card. Some merchants are just getting tired of being forced to pay for other peoples airline tickets and other "rewards" and are rebelling against the monopoly power of VISA and Mastercard. Remember that all those "rewards" are not being paid by the financial service sector but by the merchants who are told they have no choice in the matter unless they prefer not to accept the cards at all, which is of course no longer possible for most merchants if they want to stay in business.

So time to put your big girl panties on and grow up and pay for your own perks.

I had the same problem at Power Buy at Siam World. Lucky the next week my Tee Ruk came with me to Power Buy in Central Rama 3. She convinced them that I could also have the Easy Buy option where they debit my Platinum card that they did not want at Central World. So Go figure, now I have 10 months interest free and the TV.

BTW, The TV I originally wanted was a 32 inch Full HD for 19,999. I got a 42 Inch full HD Philips with a free DVD player for 27,000 - or 10 easy payments at 2,700 a month - interest free

Here is the flip side of the coin:

My wife & I own a PTT service station, we do not accept credit card payment for fuel as this means we lose about 50% of the gross profit on that sale. We have ATM's situated on the premises, and I have the staff make a point of this when customers wish to use a credit card to pay for their petroleum products.

and, do you want to know what the most common response is...???

"Ohh, we can't do that, we will be charged a fee to make a cash advance on our credit card..." :)