Marine Ply

GarryP

Does anybody know where you can buy marine plywood in Bangkok? I have looked and looked but can only find ordinary ply of varying qualities, usually quite poor. I am looking for 4 to 6mm thick ply sheets.

Does anybody know where you can buy marine plywood in Bangkok? I have looked and looked but can only find ordinary ply of varying qualities, usually quite poor. I am looking for 4 to 6mm thick ply sheets.

Have you tried the boatyards Garry. Usually any place that repairs or builds sailboats require this ply. Also any soft bottom Zodiac, Achillies or any soft bottom raft will need these planks if over 14 ft. Or 4 + meters.

A late thanks to both of you for the info and Crossy for wisely moving my post to this forum. I'm not sure where the boatyards are in BKK but I'll try to locate them. I was going to call the Ayutthaya Boatbuilding College, but was told they are not likely to be of much help.

At first I thought that the website mentioned was a joke, Austin Powers and all that, until I checked it out. I'll send them an email.

Edited by GarryP

• 2 weeks later...

Waterproof ply wood be used for exterior work, kitchen cabinets and most other applications where the wood would come into contact with water, as opposed to soaking in it. Marine ply is mainly used for boat building.

• 2 weeks later...
Waterproof ply wood be used for exterior work, kitchen cabinets and most other applications where the wood would come into contact with water, as opposed to soaking in it. Marine ply is mainly used for boat building.

mai ud gun nahm is exterior ply; plenty of it available here and in Pattaya. Marine ply is in short supply in Thailand, most people use exterior grade for most applications or fibreglass.

Depending on what you are trying to build, okuma or whatever you can get a supply from a boatyard perhaps, a few sheets. If you are building a boat I would strongly recommend using foam 8mm and glass it; way better end result most likely.

The exterior grade ply is almost doulbe the weight of the okuma and good grade marine plys.

• 2 years later...

I am planning on building a stitch and glue kayak (also known as stitch and paste).

Did you ever find the marine plywood and did you build your kayak ? That's exactly what I plan to do ready for next year's floods (we have been inundated here for over a month). I am wondering where to find the materials.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for not responding sooner. Unfortunately, I never did find a source in Bangkok. I did stop looking though as I have been busy with my new house. I will start up the search again soon.

Edited by GarryP

I think you would be hard pressed to find any boat builders left in Bangkok.

There are some repair shops along Klong Bangkok Yai and Bangkok Noi.

A few builders can be found in Samuth Prakan and Nonthaburi.

There are some builders in Nakhon Patom and in Kanchanaburi.

(I was going to give you the telephone number to a builder in Kanchanaburi,

but, alas, it seems I've lost the number.)

Edited by melvinmelvin

There's (or there was) a fellow (American I believe) who has a strip kayak building business in Kanchanaburi. Perhaps he also does stitch and glue ones too, in which case he would probably use marine ply. I have forgotten his name though and cannot find his website.

• 5 weeks later...

There's (or there was) a fellow (American I believe) who has a strip kayak building business in Kanchanaburi. Perhaps he also does stitch and glue ones too, in which case he would probably use marine ply. I have forgotten his name though and cannot find his website.

Might not be marine ply, as I built a few stitch and glue kayaks and just used Okume plywood from Malaysia. It get's glassed on all sides so no water ever gets at it. At least that's the theory. I don't think the kit makers use marine ply either. Going to the boat builders in Phuket would get you the highest chance of finding real marine plywood.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is the number to a boat builder in Nakhon Pathom, 08 9514 6898, his name is Kong.

The name of his yard is Narongsin.

He might be able to help with marine grade plywood.

(He does not speak English.)

Was helping a mate rewire/remodel his wooden 100 odd foot gin palace in Phuket.a few years back......he was using a white sheet material.... think it was called something like new wood , available in Phuket , many thicknesses ..totally impervious to water, rot etc and flexible....can be worked like solid wood..probably have to mortgage your first born though...coffee1.gif