Applying For Ilr

My wife passed her LitUK test. :)

We'd decided not to bother to apply for ILR as it seems we'll be off to Thailand and not returning to the UK before her current visa expires and, as has already been pointed out, it's more cost effective to apply for an ILE when we need it esp. as an ILE is effectively the same as an ILR anyway. Should we assume that we submit her Pass Notification Letter along with the ILE application in the same way one would when applying for ILR?

Using a crystal ball, is there any reason to fear the "Immigration Rules or for naturalisation as a British citizen under section 6 of the British Nationality Act 1981" which according to her Pass Notification Letter she has reached the level required for the purpose of ILR, are likely to change anytime soon?

Do these things get announced in the press and on this forum and if so, how far in advance of it becoming law are potential changes to the British Nationality Act communicated to the general public?

How safe is it to assume that having now passed LitUK test the future path to ILE/ILR (if not the path all the way to citizenship) is straightforward?

Congrats on the pass.

In answer to your questions, I'm afraid all one can say is that under the current regulations she can use this pass for both ILE (yes, submit the pass certificate with the application) and citizenship.

However, should the government choose to change the rules at some future point, who knows?

The government do issue press releases when they change immigration requirements, but few, if any, media outlets actually bother with them. All I can suggest is keep checking on this forum and the appropriate government websites.

Personally, were I in your shoes, I would delay the move to Thailand until she has British citizenship. She can apply for ILR now and then citizenship as soon as she has ILR. But, of course, we don't know how long that would take.

Many thanks.

Yep, still trying to work out the best thing to do. Currently think it's best to up-sticks ASAP and unless we love it over there, head back to UK before wife's current visa expires and apply for ILR then. It might mean she'd have to delay naturalization for a year (if she's been out of the UK from November-April), but at least we'd have given it a go in Thailand and not be continually wondering what it might be like to have moved. If we do like it in Thailand then, as already said, she can always get into the UK on an ILE.

Also means I'm not dragging our kid out and into schools as she'll still be under compulsory school age and leaving ASAP gives us plenty of time to find a good school over there, or enough time to find one over here should we come back (in fact am already registering her just in case).

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Because of a possible job opportunity which may keep us in the UK until early next year, and because my wife's visa expires in April 2010, we have decided to apply for ILR in person. We've got the earliest appointment we could (December, Liverpool) and have been told we need to complete "SET M" application form and pay a fee of 1020 GBP.

Just checking that this is definitely the right form and that once we receive the ILR (on the day) we can then apply for citizenship and ultimately a British passport for the wife.

Thanks

Yes, SET(M) is the right form.

Once she has ILR she can apply for naturalisation as soon as she meets the residential requirements detailed earlier. If she already meets them then she can apply as soon as she recieves her ILR.

Thanks for confirming.

I think we'll pre-book an appointment with the Croydon OPE for the day after the ILR appointment in Liverpool to use their "premium service" (whereby I understand they charge 40 GBP to check the application form for permanent residence and have it sent to the Home Office on our behalf).

Given it will be near Christmas, hopefully we can get the "citizenship" visa sometime in January, apply for the ceremony (also via the OPE) and get the passport (via our local council's premium service) by February.

Does this sound realistic?

PS

As previously mentioned, my wife and I have been living together in the UK for the past four years, so she meets the minimum stay requirement already.

Edited by chriswatson

The nationality checking service is to check her application for citizenship. The ILR is her permanent residency.

Buy fyi, there is no citizenship visa, once the nationality checking service has processed & sent off the checked paperwork & application form she will receive a letter confirming her right to naturalization & the instruction to make an appointment for the Citizenship ceremony. One the day she attends that she will receive her naturlisation certificate & will be a British Citizen.

The nationality checking service is to check her application for citizenship. The ILR is her permanent residency.

Buy fyi, there is no citizenship visa, once the nationality checking service has processed & sent off the checked paperwork & application form she will receive a letter confirming her right to naturalization & the instruction to make an appointment for the Citizenship ceremony. One the day she attends that she will receive her naturlisation certificate & will be a British Citizen.

OK - got it. Cheers Boo.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

Wife was granted ILR by Liverpool's UK Border Agency recently. I have to say I was very impressed with their service. Arrived at the allotted time, went through the airport-like security, got given a ticket at the desk and asked to sit down in the room opposite. After about 5 mins we were called to the counter and the guy checked our application before issuing us with a new ticket and told to go the first floor.

Once there, we were directed to the cashiers who debited by 1020 pounds and then asked to wait for our ticket number to be announced. After another 5 mins went to a different counter where the agent went through the application. When it came to the "proof of address" section I presented loads of letters (only one in joint names) dating over the last 2 years.

However, I had nothing to show the agent for proof of co-habiting early 2008 period, for either myself or wife, at which point she said she'd check with her manager. I was fearing the "worst" when after about 10 mins she came back and said "we're approving ILR, no need for any other documents, please go downstairs and await the passport". She did not ask for proof of income or anything similar.

Sitting back in the original room, we waited about 20 mins and then the passport was handed over to us with an ILR visa. The whole thing probably took an hour. Given my experience at the British embassy in BKK, or the Thai embassy in London for that matter, the whole process was completely stress-free. So hats off to the Scouses!

So guys, am I correct, all we need do now is use my local authority's nationality checking service to forward the application (for 40 odd pounds) and my wife will then be asked to attend a ceremony and she can then apply for a British passport?

I'm starting a new job 4th Jan and we're no longer planning on emigrating in the foreseeable future, although wife and child will visit Thailand for a month at the end of Jan.

I appreciate the local authority checking service allows us to keep our passports, so this will enable travel, but does anyone know what documents the local authority will ask for when applying?

Cheers

I appreciate the local authority checking service allows us to keep our passports, so this will enable travel, but does anyone know what documents the local authority will ask for when applying?

Cheers

My wife used the nationality checking service and it did seem to make the process quicker, so worth the £50 IMHO.

Documents they asked for were:

Application form (include wife's Border Agency ref no in this)

Passports

Marriage Cert

LiUK pass certificate

Payment slip for the £720 fee.

They then went through the form in some detail, completed a check list, took copies of docs, returned the originals and put the papers with the check list in a special delivery envelope to forward. Approval of citizenship came back within 4 weeks.

Edited by paully

Cheers

My wife used the nationality checking service and it did seem to make the process quicker, so worth the £50 IMHO.

Documents they asked for were:

Application form (include wife's Border Agency ref no in this)

Passports

Marriage Cert

LiUK pass certificate

Payment slip for the £720 fee.

They then went through the form in some detail, completed a check list, took copies of docs, returned the originals and put the papers with the check list in a special delivery envelope to forward. Approval of citizenship came back within 4 weeks.

Thanks Paully,

So no need of proof of address etc was needed for your wife? Guess not, as these have been satisfied in getting the ILR in the first place.

Out of curiousity, did your wife use the local authority checking service of the council you reside/d in or another one?

I ask because I'm going to be visiting my family shortly and was thinking of getting the application checked by their local council and not sure if this is OK/makes any difference.

Out of curiousity, did your wife use the local authority checking service of the council you reside/d in or another one?

Where we live - the register office is only 10 min walk up the road. You have to book an appointment though, they don't like to be inundated or overworked :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Paully,

I tried to use the nationality checking service at my mum's local council whilst visiting her and the rest of my family at Christmas. The council were happy to process it, but it was difficult to get a "professional" reference for my wife as our doctor and dentist refuse to provide this service for love or money. We asked our child's health visitor who was (perhaps understandably?) quite reluctant to pass on her personal details and as she did not "know" her passport number we were advised by the council we could not submit the application without it. Good job I hadn't already paid the 50 quid fee, especially as our train was delayed due to bad weather, meaning we wouldn't have been able to make the appointment anyway.

Fortunately, we have a family friend who is a doctor (who was not available until after Christmas) and she's acted as referee. Our local council's checking service just goes straight to voicemail when trying to make an appointment - and has done for the past month - so we're using a local council nearby. However, when I called to book the time, the official refused to speak to me and insisted on speaking to my wife. When it came to taking payment my wife handed the 'phone back to me (naturally :)) and I gave the person on the other end of the 'phone my debit card details. I didn't want to get into a debate with the official about why she couldn't have dealt with me throughout the call, but am assuming others use an agent to book a checking service, so there's no need to speak to the applicant in person?

So, the application will be made start of Jan allowing wife to hold onto her passport and travel to Thailand for a month with our child and enable me to get on with my new job. The fee for the naturalisation is, I believe, 750 pounds on top of the 40 pound checking service (seems charges for this checking fee vary council by council).

Questions are, how much does it cost for the "ceremony" (if anything - or is this included in the 750 pound fee), and how much do I need to budget for the passport proper?

Can I still expect to get a passport for my wife about 2 weeks after applying for it, as suggested earlier in this thread? I'd like to book our first non-Thai, non-UK holiday...

The cost of the citizenship ceremony is included in the naturalisation fee.

The cost of a new adult passport is £77.50.

As this is her first British passport she will need to attend an interview first, the IPS recommend allowing 6 weeks for this. (This interview requirement applies to all adult first time applicants, not just naturalised citizens.)

For more, see Identity and Passport Service.

Thanks for the info 7by7.

With regards to her obtaining her first British passport and it's interview - I see from the link you provided to IPS that there is no way to "fast track" a first-time application, and she will probably be attending the interview in Elephant and Castle (joy of joys)

Will I be able to accompany her in the interview, and, how do they build up her "profile", as she is not on any electoral role or such like? She is presumably on HMRC, NHS, UK Border Agency and bank records but little else. Presumably this is enough? What kind of questions are asked?

Anyone had experience of this recently?