House Book

i moved in with my G/F a few weeks a go into a house she is renting. i am due at the end of the month to apply for a 12 month extension(retirement visa) and i am wondering do i need to be on the house book. if i am what is the procedure for doing it . i live in khon kaen thanks for your help

i moved in with my G/F a few weeks a go into a house she is renting. i am due at the end of the month to apply for a 12 month extension(retirement visa) and i am wondering do i need to be on the house book. if i am what is the procedure for doing it . i live in khon kaen thanks for your help

If you are talking about the blue Tabbien Baan. She is probably registered in her parents book. You cannot be entered and there is no need anyway.

If you are talking about the blue Tabbien Baan. She is probably registered in her parents book. You cannot be entered and there is no need anyway.

no she has a lease on this house and her name is in the book. if i do not need to be registered in the book how do i show where i am residing when i apply for the 12 month extension

Your GF would be unlikely have a house book (Tabien Bahn) for a rental property. If she does not own any property, then she is probably registered with a relative. However, the owner of the rental unit does need to report your living there to the local police. A foreigner cannot get his or her name in the blue house book.

"A foreigner cannot get his or her name in the blue house book. "

While that's true in the way you meant it, there is one exception. I have a 30-year lease on this house and my name (produced in Thai syllables) appears on the ownership page of the blue book just below that of the Thai owner.

Although that doesn't necessarily mean that I live here, it has in fact come in handy as proof of address.

There is a new law on registration of people that states that all foreigners, including legal temporary residents, can be registered in blue tabien baans (TR14), although I suspect that many if not most district offices either don't know this or simply refuse to do it. I believe the purpose was to make it easier for stateless people who are legal residents to get on tabien baans. Foreigners can also be registered in yellow tabien baans (TR13) that are issued to foreigners who buy condos or houses (superficies ownership of the structure only). Foreigners with permanent residence are required by law to be on a blue tabien baan, whereas for others, it is optional to be on a blue or yellow one. The problem for Thais and foreigners who don't own their own property is usually persuading their landlord to put them on the tabien baan. Most point blank refuse and, as a result, many Thais are on a tabien baan of a property they don't live in any more or have never lived in. There doesn't seem to be any legal requirement for Thais to reside at the address of their tabien baan and you often hear them being asked if they actually live there when they use them to apply for various things.

If you are not a permanent resident and don't own your own condo or house, it is probably not worth the hassle of trying to get on the tabien baan of a rental property, unless it's a long term lease and you intend to stay there a long time. I don't think Immigration ever asks for proof of address and you can get something from your embassy stating your address to get a driving licence, even though your embassy simply takes your word for it. The tabien baan is useless as evidence of address for international purposes for obvious reasons. For that you usually need bank statements or utilities bills with your name and address in English.

Edited by Arkady

If you are not a permanent resident and don't own your own condo or house, it is probably not worth the hassle of trying to get on the tabien baan of a rental property, unless it's a long term lease and you intend to stay there a long time. I don't think Immigration ever asks for proof of address and you can get something from your embassy stating your address to get a driving licence, even though your embassy simply takes your word for it. The tabien baan is useless as evidence of address for international purposes for obvious reasons. For that you usually need bank statements or utilities bills with your name and address in English.

Agree with you,but if you can obtain a yellow Tabien ban from your Amphur (cheap) it's useful.

Every rental/leased house I have lived in (3) I have got copies of the pertinent pages of the house book for the house I rented and a copy of the owners ID and a presigned TM 30 House Master document and took them to Immigration and reported my new address. In effect I did the report for the owner. No problems or questions from Immigration.

no she has a lease on this house and her name is in the book. if i do not need to be registered in the book how do i show where i am residing when i apply for the 12 month extension

Just show a copy of the lease agreement.

Just show a copy of the lease agreement.

and how is that going to help the OP show proof of his address when the lease agreement is not in his name?

You live in KK and as long as there is no Imm office in KK you ask for an extension at Nongkhai Imm office. They do demand the TM30 papers (2) and a copy of the ID of the house owner and a copy of the house book. This stuff will be registered in their computer. For next entensions you only need the ID and a copy of the housebook. If possible, take the housebook too.

If you ask for an extension based on income the NK Imm Police demands that the Embassy letter will be notarized at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok. In my case, they did not even accept the letter from the Dutch embassy in English. I had the stuff translated into Thai and also verified at Chaeng Wattana.

When did Nong Khai require your MFA certification? There was a brief period that several offices claimed it was a requirement but AFAIK that was quickly dropped as unworkable by most. The letter, if not in English, would have to be translated.

As for KK officer there either is an office or shortly will be. Search parties are looking for it now.

As for address a letter to you is accepted by most locations. I have never been asked for anything in Bangkok.

Nongkhai wants this done since Dec 08 and before I went for a new extension I checked it and yes, they want it. I asked a lawyer in Minburi to arrange things and she called the Imm Pol in NK. Because of fraud, was the answer. So I had this done by her. When applying they did ask for the stuff but made a copy and returned the original papers to me.

They did not want the TM30 anymore, just a copy of the housebook and the ID of my landlady (she is not my partner).

Nongkhai has a fex extra rules. Easy to handle for me since I live here.

"For that you usually need bank statements or utilities bills with your name and address in English."

Why in English? That doesn't make much sense to me.

---------------------------------

"There is a new law on registration of people that states that all foreigners, including legal temporary residents, can be registered in blue tabien baans..."

"Foreigners with permanent residence are required by law to be on a blue tabien baan, whereas for others, it is optional to be on a blue or yellow one."

Can you tell me the law that states that?

The first quote says 'can be', which is permissive but not mandatory. The second one implies it's mandatory.

Is that just a problem with translation, or...?

Do you know if it is permitted, or mandatory?

Nongkhai has a fex extra rules. Easy to handle for me since I live here.

But they also seem to be under new management and now using a more normal set of rules from what I have seen posted (in the last few months).

Edited by lopburi3