Ais 3g

freddy123

Hey guys, Im looking for a USB modem to work with the AIS 3g network. Im guessing someone might have one and be willing to part with it for a lot less than the asking price of AIS.

If not then I would appreciate suggestions on which AIS store to buy one from. I went to Airport plaza one time and they spoke less english than I can speak thai. Are there better AIS shops around?

I only want prepaid, no contracts or credit cards involved.

Thanks

Hey guys, Im looking for a USB modem to work with the AIS 3g network. Im guessing someone might have one and be willing to part with it for a lot less than the asking price of AIS.

If not then I would appreciate suggestions on which AIS store to buy one from. I went to Airport plaza one time and they spoke less english than I can speak thai. Are there better AIS shops around?

I only want prepaid, no contracts or credit cards involved.

Thanks

As far as I know, 3G isn't available in Thailand yet. Do you mean a GPRS or EDGE modem?

As far as I know, the 3G from AIS is only available on a post paid basis. Meaning you're billed, need 1 yr visa, credit card and/or bank acct, etc.

I've had it since roll out about a year ago.

The modem (Huwei) cost me 5999 B then. It is now I think 3999 B.

My suggestion is as above; go to the main AIS office on Tapae Road, get a foreign customer ticket, and speak with a rep about the options. In English.

I was there yesterday to upgrade my package, BTW.

Hope this helps.

I bought the Super 3G USB that slots into the side of your computer about 3 weeks ago. You don't have to pay anything except the package that you choose for that month. I chose 2.5 and they give you an extra .5 free for the first 6 months that costs 500 Baht a month. It cost me 3990 Baht 3 weeks ago but it doesn't really work in my area. I am happy to sell it for 3,500 Baht. I can't really go any lower because although it doesn't work in my area I can still use when I am in town sitting in a Cafe. I am happy to meet you somewhere and show you how it works.

Let me know.

Travesari.

Ok thanks alot for everyones help. I will go to the thapae office when i get a chance and talk to them.

Travesari thanks for the offer, but it sounds like you still use it alot, and to take the risk of buying a second hand one the price would have to be substantialy below the 3900 baht.

As for if its actually 3g or not, I know its probably not technically 3g but all the branding is 3g so its just easier to play along with the games. There are other threads dealing with that topic.

Also let me know if your looking to buy one second hand in 2-3 months. I'll probably be selling it if I can when I go home.

Thanks

As far as I know, the 3G from AIS is only available on a post paid basis. Meaning you're billed, need 1 yr visa, credit card and/or bank acct, etc.

My suggestion is as above; go to the main AIS office on Tapae Road, get a foreign customer ticket, and speak with a rep about the options. In English.

Hope this helps.

Do you know what frequencies are used by AIS for their 3G. I have a G-phone from the USA that is 3G capable. Do you know if they have coverage in Phuket?

Hope this helps.

Do you know what frequencies are used by AIS for their 3G. I have a G-phone from the USA that is 3G capable. Do you know if they have coverage in Phuket?

Thailand is using 950 Mhz for 3G you can use it in Chiangmai to Hang Dong and to Maejoo .

So Eu 3g phones will not work here on 3G.

to get a subscription you need a billing address

3G is only in Chiangmai and Chonburi for test at the moment out of this area its goes to GPRS

As far as I know, the 3G from AIS is only available on a post paid basis.

<snip>

We bought a prepaid huawei E220 from AIS a year ago in MBK Bangkok. The software with it wasn’t vista compatible and we needed to visit the AIS shop in Siam Paragon to have the software upgraded. We don't have 3g available in our area so I don't know if the same applies for 3g.

At the time I got the impression it wasn’t a big seller as they only had one in stock and stored out of sight under the display. I’d previously tried to buy one at a few upcountry AIS shops and they no idea of what they were.