She Wants To Go To The Temple For A Week.

G54

I am looking for some insight into why the lady in my life wants to go to the temple for a week. She cannot explain it well enough for me to understand, so I am hoping some bright spark here might enlighten me :D

Something she also says about her being a Buddhist and me being one of those Christian people and harmony and some other stuff.

I cannot understand why she cannot go to the Temple on a regular basis like most other Thai people.

As it says in the topic, she will be eating and sleeping there for a week. Seems I will be required to take her food on a morning and afternoon too (but I've said I'd like to go on holiday while she goes through this).

My mention of going off on a holiday has rather upset the balance a bit :)

So if I know more what is happening, I could be better placed to understand. Ignorance can be bliss, but not always :D

TIA.

Mods if you want to move this to Buddha's section then that is OK.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am looking for some insight into why the lady in my life wants to go to the temple for a week. She cannot explain it well enough for me to understand, so I am hoping some bright spark here might enlighten me :D

Something she also says about her being a Buddhist and me being one of those Christian people and harmony and some other stuff.

I cannot understand why she cannot go to the Temple on a regular basis like most other Thai people.

As it says in the topic, she will be eating and sleeping there for a week. Seems I will be required to take her food on a morning and afternoon too (but I've said I'd like to go on holiday while she goes through this).

So if I know more what is happening, I could be better placed to understand. Ignorance can be bliss, but not always :D

TIA.

its pretty common for guys to go be a monk, my old lady does the dhamma thing for 10 days twice a year in the north, but i never have to bother with anything and she comes home all focused and clear, and usualy in a good mood, but they just pray and meditate... not so fun. Id take it as a nice little break othing to be worried about

My GF and her sister did this week-long thing last year. As has been said, a week of meditation and walking around a large square chanting.

I suggest you be supportive....if you want to go on holiday, then make some arrangements for her food that show her you support her.

She must have been a bad bad lady, Just joking , :) , It is away of atonement for there sins (wrong doings ). Some even shave there heads and where white , Its Buddhism just support her , All they do is try not to think about anything and to clear there minds , which is not a bad thing , peace of mind,

Many christian faiths have, "Retreats", time for introspection.

Getting ones thoughts and disciplines back into order.

I guess a Thai would respect any christian who wished to take time out in retreats.

Have done so myself, all isolated, just me and my thoughts.

I see no difference, let it be.

(Dunno about having to take food along every day. 'Tis custom, just do it.)

Quite common.

My Wife goes at least once a year.....and comes back really chilled out

Agreed...

My partner goes once a year, before the end of Buddhist lent, at Wat Ampawan for meditation.

She is an architect and close her office for a week.

She is giving paid holidays to her employees, without any request, but all of them are always following her steps.

LoL Come on be a good husband and take her some food... or she might come back more crabby than before she left. :) You should be thankful she's not making you go along!

I could leave her with some tins of cat food, then she might be 'Catty' when she come back :D

On a more serious note (after the cat food) :-

Thanks for the info above. At least I have a better understanding of why and that others do this regularly.

Maybe I will defer a holiday and let her go through this meditation process and feed her while she is there.

She has not been to the Temple for a while and maybe feels this is a way of atoning for that.

A week of peace and quiet, no nagging too, sounds a bit like heaven. Maybe Buddha isn't so bad after all :)

TIA.

Often done to repay a spiritual bribe although they might not tell you, lady promises Buddha she will do a few days at the Wat IF she gets xyz, spiritual childishness but it does no harm. Be glad of a few days peace and quiet.

The missus did this too. But she admitted to sleeping through the meditations.

So now she is thinking of doing it again, properly this time.

I say go ahead and I will bring her goodies in the morning, lots of ka nom too that she can smuggle in to enjoy later :)

A pretty tame post from you G54!!

I rather like your more colourful ealier work :D

I can only add one suggestion that others havent mentioned..Ive heard of people (mainly females) doing this to pay respect on the anniversary of someone they have cared abouts death.

Maybe not the case here but i've heard it does happen.

Maybe you should that vacation and come back and post all your naughty exploits..like the good ol days :)

On a more serious note (after the cat food) :-

Thanks for the info above. At least I have a better understanding of why and that others do this regularly.

Maybe I will defer a holiday and let her go through this meditation process and feed her while she is there.

She has not been to the Temple for a while and maybe feels this is a way of atoning for that.

A week of peace and quiet, no nagging too, sounds a bit like heaven. Maybe Buddha isn't so bad after all :)

Agreed. I very much look forward to the missus leaving me alone for a week.

The food idea sounds a bit strange (but highly possible) because these retreats / temples are well set up with cooking facilities and / or local foodstalls. Maybe she's trying to get you involved or maybe she just misses you.

I reckon my missus goes for friendship as much as anything else. She meets friendly like-minded people who have no motivation to cheat her (unlike the majority of Bangkokians - or so SHE says), and she returns home relaxed and happy... :D

My wife and daughter have both gone. They did not shave their heads but are asked to wear white and they can have no physical contact with any men, including me.

They went to a temple some 80 kilometers from our house so I didn't have to worry about breakfast.

They later told me they get up at 0400 or so and go to bed early. Not exactly a party atmosphere.

Anyway, not to worry.

To OP

Does she intend to shave her head as well?

You better ask her, so you are not in for a shocker.

A friend of mine had his female friend doing this, and she came back with her head shaved.

She was wearing a wig for some time after that.

To OP

A friend of mine had his female friend doing this, and she came back with her head shaved.

If she shaves her head then she wants to look soooo hansum, just like me :D

Oh, boy. A shaven headed woman. So romantic :)

TIA.

Is there any chance that she would take my wife along to keep her company?

To OP

Oh, boy. A shaven headed woman. So romantic :D

Did you mean to say shaved ..... not head isnt it ?

:)

To OP

Oh, boy. A shaven headed woman. So romantic :D

Did you mean to say shaved ..... not head isnt it ?

:)

Not sure what you mean.

I might have spelled it wrong.

She was bald-headed when she returned.