Electricity Power Savers

So, what is the argument? Is it that VA is the same as Watts? If so, I disagree.

The disagreement started over this statement contained within Post #8:

The typical electromechanical KWH meter does not & cannot measure VA. It can only measure kW & therefore the consumer is billed for "True Power".

Since you disagree that VA (volt-amperes) is the same as W (watts) then read this from Wikipedia:

The watt (symbol: W) is a derived unit of power in the International System of Units (SI). It measures rate of energy conversion. One watt is equivalent to 1 joule (J) of energy per second.

In terms of mechanical energy, one watt is the rate at which work is done when an object is moved at a speed of one meter per second against a force of one newton.

1W = 1Js-1 = 1kgm2s-3 = 1Nms-1

By the definitions of electric potential (volt) and current (ampere), work is done at a rate of one watt when one ampere flows through a potential difference of one volt.[1]

1W=1V×1A

Work done at a rate of 1VA will cause a Wh meter disk to rotate, however slowly.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Work done at a rate of 1VA will cause a Wh meter disk to rotate, however slowly.

VA = WATTS only in a totally resistive (non-reactive) load. Example are UPSes which are often incorrectly rated in Watts when they are actually VA.

The power drawn by computing equipment is expressed in Watts or Volt-Amps (VA). The power in Watts is the real power drawn by the equipment. Volt-Amps are called the "apparent power" and are the product of the voltage applied to the equipment times the current drawn by the equipment. Both Watt and VA ratings have a use and purpose. The Watt rating determines the actual power purchased from the utility company and the heat loading generated by the equipment. The VA rating is used for sizing wiring and circuit breakers. The VA and Watt ratings for some types of electrical loads, like incandescent light bulbs, are identical. However, for computer equipment the Watt and VA ratings can differ significantly, with the VA rating always being equal to or larger than the Watt rating. The ratio of the Watt to VA rating is called the "Power Factor" and is expressed either as a number (i.e. 0.7) or a percentage (i.e. 70%).

Power Solutions

"A guy gave a power saver device to one of my mates to trial for a month. He was told it would save up to 40% on your normal power bill. After a month my mate said it reduced alittle but with power bills they arent usually constant in consumption in his home so he gave it back as it didnt make much difference. Anyone got one and have success with them? I think the cost was about 2000B. I just cant believe that they would work. "

You have answered your own question, and don't like your answer. Simply, the devices do not work. Your friend told you it doesn't work. You don't think it will work. Most of us told you it won't work. Still, you want to know if it works. PT Barnum is quoted, "A sucker is born every minute", and it certainly seems true.

no, i was merely asking if anyone else had success with them, as my friends trial wasnt tested with control ie with the value known as the loads are variable.

you have also said that "Most of us told you it won't work. Still, you want to know if it works"

had I known that most of you would say it wont work, i wouldnt have bothered posting the topic, but since the replies come after the topic post how would i know.

minutes up :)

Replies do normally follow a topic post. :)

No, most of these devices do not work unless;

1] it does something illegal (e.g. artificially reducing the power used).

2] it legitimately uses waveform control to actually reduce the amount of wasted power (minimizing Harmonics or switching a load off in the case off low demand).

3] you are charged a fee for poor Power Factor (generally not the case for residential installations). Since most Thai homes use electromechanical induction KWH meters, your Power Factor cannot be monitored as these meters only measure Watts.

Many electricity providers charge a "network" or "distribution" fee. This fee is an attempt to recover any losses that relate to Power Factor as well as other losses. This fee is usually fixed but can vary proportionally according to your electricity usage.

Proper Power Factor correction is not about installing a small box. It's somewhat more complex than that.

Edited by elkangorito

A guy gave a power saver device to one of my mates to trial for a month. He was told it would save up to 40% on your normal power bill. After a month my mate said it reduced alittle but with power bills they arent usually constant in consumption in his home so he gave it back as it didnt make much difference. Anyone got one and have success with them?

I think the cost was about 2000B. I just cant believe that they would work.

They only work if u buy one off a lepricorn on Friday the 13th riding Shergar with a blue moon. :)

They only work if u buy one off a lepricorn on Friday the 13th riding Shergar with a blue moon. :)

ive been suckered then, i bought one off the wicked witch of the west on april 1st, off the back of her broomstick..... i knew something was off when she offered a free set of steaknives if I purchased 2!! :D

• 1 month later...
A guy gave a power saver device to one of my mates to trial for a month. He was told it would save up to 40% on your normal power bill. After a month my mate said it reduced alittle but with power bills they arent usually constant in consumption in his home so he gave it back as it didnt make much difference. Anyone got one and have success with them?

I think the cost was about 2000B. I just cant believe that they would work.

Dear friend, please take note

ON 21 OCTOBER 2009 (WEDNESDAY) 10.30AM ~ I RECEIVED AN URGENT PHONE CALL FROM HOME

A ball of black smoke and fire broke out from the POWER STAR POWER SAVER PLUG (Made in China) on the wall and burnt the whole wall socket. My whole house was short-circuited & blacked-out.

I’m blessed that my daughter was at home yesterday & happened to be passing to the master bedroom toilet at that moment of time. Can you imagine, if nobody was at home .. I would today have no home to come back to, no property .. nothing – all would have been burnt to ashes!!! – just becoz of 1 PLUG (supposedly to help save electric power & PUB costs for me).

My daughter without hesitation tried to beat the small fire breakout with a towel, but the fire kept on flickering up. Luckily I bought and kept a few fire extinguishers for my home and that came in useful yesterday. PLUS my daughter previously works at childcare centre teacher – so extinguishing the fire was done quite fast.

She quickly then switched-off the main fuse and pulled out the POWER STAR POWER SAVER PLUG and took off the OTHER POWER SAVER PLUG that I also bought (regrettably, gullibly -- greedy, I bought 2 sets of the POWER SAVER PLUG from STEVEN (the guy who did DT in-house maintenance) – I installed ONE POWER SAVER PLUG at my living room and the other one in the master bedroom).

Though the whole one side of the bedroom wall was blackened and the whole house smelt like burnt wires, no one was injured (including my grandson) – but was super shocked and stressed out cleaning the black soot off the wall. That whole wall socket set of plugs/wiring cannot function, including the airconditioning plug, which was near it. I need to call an electrician to look at it & repair it this weekend.

This is just to advise & inform you, dear ‘ole friend, as I understand you also bought the same kind of POWER STAR POWER SAVER PLUG. So please monitor and take care at home .. better still, take it out, remove it, throw it away – its not worth having to worry of the danger and hazard waiting to happen.

TO ALL CONCERNED. DO NOT recommend to anyone else any more super savings or fast money making stories .. very very traumatic and scary!!!

I wonder whether can I get refund (2 unworthy plugs) ???

Kind regards

post-93946-1256182918_thumb.jpg

post-93946-1256182967_thumb.jpg