Dermatologist / Dry Lips Question

HalfSquat

Hello all,

I've been in Bangkok and Thailand for nearly 4 weeks now and shortly after arriving I started getting dry lips and little slits in the side of my mouth where the top and bottom lip join.

Over the weeks the side slits haven't got much worse but havent got any better. I don't see how they can heal as whenever I open my mouth they split open.

My lips have also become really dry and I have now got what appears to be impetigo on my lips - when I wake in the morning they are covering in yellow crust from them weeping in the night.

I've been using Vaseline and other lip balms/stick on my lips which keep them moist for a but soon they start itching again. I have also been putting fucidin cream on them which is what my doctor back home (UK) prescribed for me when I had impetigo one time before.

I've been drinking lots of water as I've read dehydration can cause the drying of the lips. When I first arrived I ate quite a lot of spicy food which felt like it burnt my lips, after this the impetigo came on, perhaps there is a link? Also I've heard the air-con can dry you out. I've not been out in the sun that much lately as I look quite gross so don't think it is the sun causing it although I expect the hot weather has something to do with it!

From looking on the web it would appear I have Angular Cheilitus on the sides of my mouth but not sure about the cracking of the lips.

Anyone got any ideas?

I guess I need to see a dermatologist - are these easy to find in Bangkok? I do have medical insurance with Bupa.

Thanks for you time.

Hello all,

I've been in Bangkok and Thailand for nearly 4 weeks now and shortly after arriving I started getting dry lips and little slits in the side of my mouth where the top and bottom lip join.

Over the weeks the side slits haven't got much worse but havent got any better. I don't see how they can heal as whenever I open my mouth they split open.

My lips have also become really dry and I have now got what appears to be impetigo on my lips - when I wake in the morning they are covering in yellow crust from them weeping in the night.

I've been using Vaseline and other lip balms/stick on my lips which keep them moist for a but soon they start itching again. I have also been putting fucidin cream on them which is what my doctor back home (UK) prescribed for me when I had impetigo one time before.

I've been drinking lots of water as I've read dehydration can cause the drying of the lips. When I first arrived I ate quite a lot of spicy food which felt like it burnt my lips, after this the impetigo came on, perhaps there is a link? Also I've heard the air-con can dry you out. I've not been out in the sun that much lately as I look quite gross so don't think it is the sun causing it although I expect the hot weather has something to do with it!

From looking on the web it would appear I have Angular Cheilitus on the sides of my mouth but not sure about the cracking of the lips.

Anyone got any ideas?

I guess I need to see a dermatologist - are these easy to find in Bangkok? I do have medical insurance with Bupa.

Thanks for you time.

simple solution:

Virgin Coconut Oil

antimicrobial, anti fungal,

can buy at tops or villa

apply liberally on problem area

can take 3 tablespoons daily for therapeutic dose

can 'oil pull' w/ VCO

also watch your diet -- maybe some MSG is sneaking in

usually cayenne is beneficial

more fresh greens and fruits

keep drinking lots of water

and maybe put a 1/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in a glass of water

to help balance your PH

yours in health

Richard

Thanks for this. Just got back from Tops but did not see this until now.

Could be MSGs, not really sure how to tell what they are and if they are in a dish.

Been eating less greens since I've been out here, must try harder!

Would it be the same oil I m putting on my skin that I am also taking orally?

I read on the web Mycolog II is what I need but I went to a few pharmacies today and they hadn't heard of it. Anyone familiar with it?

Edited by HalfSquat

Hello there , the first time I saw that on my wifes lips I thought it was a cigarette burn , but she does not smoke(?) it appears that many of the villagers suffer with this problem they say is caused by the wind at this time of year . They are terrible 'Pickers ' so it also spreads to the face , at the first sign I apply garamycin cream lightly to the affected area(s) and have to constantly remind her not to touch it with her fingers or 'Pick at it ' , I apply it as she says it does not taste nice . Even starting early with the cream it takes about a week for it to clear up , you have to persiver with the application and only clean it up with an unscented kleenex , even after you shower dry the lips with a kleenex not the towel . Hope this helps .

Would help if you could post a pix.

Are there any lesions inside the mouth itslef/on tongue or is it just the lips? Any fever?

Cracks at the side of the mouth and cracked/swollen lips can be a sign of Vitamin B2 deficiency. Especially common in heavy drinklers with insufficient diets. Suggest you take either a high potency B Complex supplement (B Co rather than just B2 since multiple B deficiencies tend to co-exist) or multivit/mineral supplement. Can't hurt, and may do the trick.

Mycolog II is a combination of an antifungal (nystatin) and a steroid (triamcinolone ). Not available under that brand name in Thailand but you can get cream containing the same active ingrediants plus an antibiotic, brand names Dermacombin, Kenacomb. These preparations may actually be better in your case than nystatin + triamcolone alone since we do not know that your problem is fungal and cannot rule out a bacterial infection.

Suggest applying these and taking the vit supplement; if no improvement, see a doctor.

Thanks for the replies.

There are no lesions inside the mouth or on the tounge. Its just at the sides of my mouth where top lip meets bottom that I have the cracks/slits and on the edges of the lips where they are sore - they are not open wounds but red and weep in the night.

I have bought some vitamin B complex from Boots and have been taking a few of them a day and got some Zinc tablets that you disolve in water and have been taking those.

I don't drink a lot but havent been getting my usual greens and salad since getting here (1 month).

I'll have a look for Dermacombin or Kenacomb and have a doctors appointment for Wednesday so will see what they say.

Thanks.

Being a drinker , I have taken Bcomplex for many years , still do even having quit drinking , since coming to Asia , I use mineral/vitamin suppliment in my drinking water as there is aparantly a lack of these in the food eaten here , I have never had this problem . I purchase both for her mother and she has stopped suffering with this problem , my wife refuses to take either .

• 9 years later...

Being an ex-Army medic (retired) it sounds like the herpes virus. Try Acyclovir cream. Slits in the sides of mouth is very common related to the herpes virus. A lot of people call them cold sores. Cold sores are caused by the virus. 60 to 70% of everyone in the world are infected with herpes simplex virus type 1.

Have a doctor check it out. There are some natural medicines that may help but probably will really take a long time to heal.