Social Security For Language School Employees

heretostay

I am now working for a commercial language school where I have been told that employees of such language schools are no longer eligible for health insurance via social security (ประกันสังคม). Can this be right? I hold a non-immigrant B visa with an extension to stay based on employment, plus a one-year work permit. I was covered in the past when I was working for a government university... have I lost that right?

(My employer has offered a group plan with a private health insurance company, so there does seem to be a solution, but I would rather use the government plan - call me stupid if you want!)

I am now working for a commercial language school where I have been told that employees of such language schools are no longer eligible for health insurance via social security (ประกันสังคม). Can this be right? I hold a non-immigrant B visa with an extension to stay based on employment, plus a one-year work permit. I was covered in the past when I was working for a government university... have I lost that right?

(My employer has offered a group plan with a private health insurance company, so there does seem to be a solution, but I would rather use the government plan - call me stupid if you want!)

Check my post on this matter at: www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Social-Security-Language-Teac-t287345.html

Bapak

"I was covered in the past when I was working for a government university... have I lost that right?"

You have six months from your last coverage through an employer to sign up and pay on your own.

The normal payment is 432 baht per month, for the remainder of the year it's only 260 baht per month. The discount is only good for the remainder of this year.

During the six month period you are fully covered for all health benefits, even if no payments have been made.

You'll probably have to sign up at a social security office. When I signed up they were very helpful. There is a minimum of paperwork. If I recall correctly, I just needed my soc sec card and passport. If I wouldn't have had my card with me it wouldn't have been a problem. Everything was available on their computers.

If after six months, it's my understanding that you have to start over, which would require a 3 month waiting period.

Good luck with this. Soc Sec really is a good deal that is more often than not misunderstood by most of us.

If after six months, it's my understanding that you have to start over, which would require a 3 month waiting period.

Good luck with this. Soc Sec really is a good deal that is more often than not misunderstood by most of us.

An excellent point, well made. Social security is often overlooked by foreigners and usually represents a very good bargain.

To the OP who wrote,

This is the easier route, if the alternative is to sort out your own Social Security and payments on your own and insurance will likely afford you prompter, higher-quality care.