Indefinite Leave To Remain Esol With Citizenship Course / Materials

I can’t find a college where they understand or provide the ESOL with citizenship materials. My wife has been here for two years and has now past the Entry 1 Speaking and Listening but now the college tells me the course does not contain these materials even though it is a recognized course - University of Cambridge.

I can't find a college where they understand or provide the ESOL with citizenship materials. My wife has been here for two years and has now past the Entry 1 Speaking and Listening but now the college tells me the course does not contain these materials even though it is a recognized course - University of Cambridge.

It may be a course leading to a recognised qualification, but if it does not contain citizenship materials it does not satisfy the requirements for ILR.

When does your wife's current leave to remain expire? If she has been here two years and has not yet satisfied all the requirements for ILR then she must apply for Further Leave to Remain using Form FLR(M) before her current LTR expires. If she doesn't then she will be in the UK illegally!

Have you contacted Learn Direct as suggested? Try your local education authority, too.

If you cannot find a suitable course then she does have a further 2 years to continue with her current course and so bring her English up to a good enough standard (ESOL entry level 3) to study for and take the LitUK test. Indeed, she could try the study materials now and see how she gets on.

That looks like what we will have to do. Though it is not a good outcome as she is at entry 1 level after 2 years hard work - some people don't learn languages as quickly as others. The LitUK test is at entry 3 - there is a difference.

thanks,

That looks like what we will have to do. Though it is not a good outcome as she is at entry 1 level after 2 years hard work - some people don't learn languages as quickly as others. The LitUK test is at entry 3 - there is a difference.

thanks,

Your wife simply needs to go one level up.Either from EL1 to 2 or EL2 to 3;that would be sufficient for ILR.

thanks,

Your wife will have to sit a fairly basic test before starting her ESOL course with citizenship so that the college can determine what level to start her at.

My wife started at level 1 in September 2008 and finished at level 3 June 2009 but reached level 2 in February 2009 and so was able to get her ILR before the price rise in April.

Brigante7.