Hard To Find Short Term Apartment In Chiang Mai?

pigh123

Looking for an apartment in or around Chiang Mai for 13000Baht or less a month.

I fly in next week and need a cheap place to stay for a month or more while I work(online).

Is it hard to find places in Chiang Mai that arn't on a 6 month lease???

Where should I look? What are the cheaper area's?

Serviced apartments? Hotels?

Is there area's outside of Chiang Mai that are cheaper?

Any help appreciated, Thanx

You may want to use the search function of this forum to find previous threads about this topic.

To answer your question -- there are many monthly, short term rentals available in your price range. Look for words like "serviced apartment" or "guest house". When we first arrived in CM, we stayed at the Viangbua Mansion. There rates on the internet are 12,000 to 14,000 baht/month for their studio apartments. We know many people who stayed there for a few months upon arriving in CM, eventually moving out for a one-year rental once they'd gotten to know the city somewhat.

There are cheaper places, many of them guest houses near Thapae Gate. I don't know how good that area would be for someone trying to do some work. There are many distractions in the Thapae area. The first time I stayed at Viangbua, I found the internet connection fairly good and night-time distractions minimal. By that, I mean that there are few bars/late night restaurants in the area. During that first visit, I was able to write several magazine articles and pay for our stay with a few quiet afternoons of work in our room.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Just a little side note.

I play acoustic guitar and sing for about an hour a day.

I hate doing this in small apartments where I may be annoying the person next door etc

Anyone have any advice on places such as townhouse style/dis-attached apartments or places that you know have solid walls?

Im willing to pay extra for a place like this :)

Naunpranee Guest House, Mitrpranee Road (Near Chiang mai gate within the moat close to the centre of town)

5000b a month, deposit 2000b, free 30 hrs wifi (in room) or internet in the lobby (they like to keep 700b of deposit when you leave, water, elect, cleaning). No commitment beyond the 1st month.

Room includes en-suite, fridge, cable tv, dvd player.

Very quiet, you don't hear other residents, I was there for 2 months with no problems.

They don't care if you bring girls back ..... lets face it everyone does.

Nice lobby downstairs, they won't care if you play guitar

CU Corner Bar within 50m, they happy for you to play there as well (will provide instruments free if you don't have your own)

Edited by pjclark1

Naunpranee Guest House, Mitrpranee Road (Near Chiang mai gate within the moat close to the centre of town)

5000b a month, deposit 2000b, free 30 hrs wifi (in room) or internet in the lobby (they like to keep 700b of deposit when you leave, water, elect, cleaning). No commitment beyond the 1st month.

Room includes en-suite, fridge, cable tv, dvd player.

Very quiet, you don't hear other residents, I was there for 2 months with no problems.

They don't care if you bring girls back ..... lets face it everyone does.

Nice lobby downstairs, they won't care if you play guitar

CU Corner Bar within 50m, they happy for you to play there as well (will provide instruments free if you don't have your own)

Saw the Nuan Pranee website, it quoted monthly rental at 3500B and 0B for both water and electricity, that's very attractive. Moreover the location is good.

Wondering if they have any hidden or other charges?

http://en.cm-teepak.com/overview.php?baseID=GH100052

Like I said, I was there for 2 months April and May this year at 5000bht a month.

When you move in they want 5000bht rental plus 2000bht deposit (total 7000bht)

Extra charges for me were 400bht for water each month, 30b to clean the room and change sheets (by request) and 7b per unit for electricity.

The first month I paid 450bht in extras

The last month they kept 700bht of my deposit for cleaning/water/electricity.

Electricity only becomes significant if you use the aircon .... most of the time I was happy enough to just use the wall mounted fan.

I see the site you pointed at was last updated in 2005 .......... so it might well have been 3500b then.

There are several guest houses in the same area for 3500bht a month, but I thought they were too basic for my taste.

It really is in a good position in the town and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there, there is a whole road of bars and restaurants within 50m and about 100m away is the ChaingMai Gate evening food market.

Edited by pjclark1

Smith Residence near Chiang Mai gate

Has a small pool and fitness room on the roof, room for a month 7000bht and up, very nice, big rooms

Not lived there myself but have looked at the rooms with friends.

http://www.chiangmai-smith-residence.com/

female overnight guests ..... no extra charge.

Fingerprint scanner on entrance for those who like toys!

Edited by pjclark1